Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently ''They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things'' Hmm...dumping on the players is never a good sign. Particularly when you are a manager who has never achieved anything in management.
GON clearly hates the idea of any of our players having a creative bone in their body. Explains the HT team talks, bet he told our lads to row it back today and focus on defending their own box instead of attacking theirs. That ended well.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is desperate stuff.

We actually thumped United at home for 90 minutes under Bruno, and I’m pretty sure we battered Spurs too. We were also the far better side on day 1 away to Leicester in the second half.

You don’t just run out of puff. Your coaching team analyse the game/players and make a decision on how to approach the game.

It was obvious to anyone with eyes that they couldn’t sustain that level of pressing from the first half. They tactically ran out of puff and we decided to soak up pressure, but left huge gaps.

The spaces in the seco
Lage actually had a period of about 3/5ths of a season where he was regularly winning and we were well up there.
But we were a horrible watch. We were a decent watch today. Entertaining, attacking just lacking that clinical finish. That will come

I really really really want GON to do well as he strikes me a a genuinely nice bloke with lots of abilities but lacking experience

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did you see us against liverpool last season? Exactly the same except we were 2-0 up at half time. If Cunha had taken his chances it's a different game.
I did. Like you said, we were 2-0 up, different circumstances, different tactics.

stevev53

Reaction score
If you go on what some on here are saying then Thomas Franks is a pretty poor manager too . His side totally dominated Newcastle first half but they are being outplayed second half . This must mean Franks is tactically inept what the hell did he say at half time

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A simple question to some on here: name a single club that would select GON over JL.

JL has gone. He didn’t want to be here and made that clear. GON is what we have got. We rather back the club, players and manager, or our bickering and moaning about the manager and players, will be a detrimental part of us going down.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL has gone. He didn’t want to be here and made that clear. GON is what we have got. We rather back the club, players and manager, or our bickering and moaning about the manager and players, will be a detrimental part of us going down.

Jeez you really think what people post on a message board will make one iota of difference as to whether or not we stay up ?

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you go on what some on here are saying then Thomas Franks is a pretty poor manager too . His side totally dominated Newcastle first half but they are being outplayed second half . This must mean Franks is tactically inept what the hell did he say at half time
Is it a regular thing from Brentford? Who do you think will finish higher us or Brentford? Genuine question.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
GON clearly hates the idea of any of our players having a creative bone in their body. Explains the HT team talks, bet he told our lads to row it back today and focus on defending their own box instead of attacking theirs. That ended well.
There’s a thread pointing out the tactical changes Klopp introduced at half time which forced us back and prevented our press which dictated the first half…..maybe our players couldn’t react on the pitch ?

stevev53

Reaction score
Is it a regular thing from Brentford? Who do you think will finish higher us or Brentford? Genuine question.
Probably Brentford. My point was it happens a lot that teams only dominate for 1 half in the premier league .It doesn’t mean that the manager is out of his depth . I believe GON is getting unfair criticism. Just seen the premier league stats this season . Neto most chances created ,Lemina and Gomes in top 5 for Passes etc Semedo up there with most tackles Lemina high rating with interceptions so we are doing some things well .

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got the tactics 2nd half all wrong. We sat so deep it was shocking.

It's a problem we're going to have in that because our squad is not as deep or as good as teams like Liverpool's, the tactics have to be consistently better over 90 minutes, which is basically saying that O'Neill has to be better than his competitors (or we have to take our chances, which we can all see)

In the first half his tactics were excellent, in the second they were worse but the quality Liverpool brought on was far superior to what we had anyway. It was like they had a completely different team, and so did we. Not sure any manager can change that.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably Brentford. My point was it happens a lot that teams only dominate for 1 half in the premier league .It doesn’t mean that the manager is out of his depth . I believe GON is getting unfair criticism. Just seen the premier league stats this season . Neto most chances created ,Lemina and Gomes in top 5 for Passes etc Semedo up there with most tackles Lemina high rating with interceptions so we are doing some things well .
Interesting and encouraging stats. Thx.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the issue is that it’s happened to us against Brighton, Palace and now Liverpool where we were in the game and then ****ed it away second half. I don’t actually think it’s anything to do with what he says at half time but it’s more about an inability to react to the opponent making tactical changes.

I want GON to succeed and there are promising signs in games so I’m not panicking just yet but there are only so many times we can take the positives from a good first half when we’ve been beaten.

It was Liverpool today so let’s not overreact but we can’t keep being garbage in the second half of games.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stourport, it's the chicken and the egg. The fans did back the club and players today; it's not the bickering on here or at Molineux that lost us that game - it was the manager and the team. Had we carried on 2nd half like the first there would be zero bickering on here, regardless of the result. We can only comment (bicker) on what we see; what I see is a manager out of his depth leading a team, leaderless on the pitch, with no no 9, and leading us to relegation.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don’t deny those stats or points you’re making, however we are leaking goals, not scoring enough and losing. The acid test is points. I cannot see how he survives, if we lose to Luton & get smashed by City.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stourport, it's the chicken and the egg. The fans did back the club and players today; it's not the bickering on here or at Molineux that lost us that game - it was the manager and the team. Had we carried on 2nd half like the first there would be zero bickering on here, regardless of the result. We can only comment (bicker) on what we see; what I see is a manager out of his depth leading a team, leaderless on the pitch, with no no 9, and leading us to relegation.
Ok but surely your first concern is why we were so different in the second? It can’t be on Gary or anything he said.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The chicken and the egg, is that some people have had his cards marked, from the moment he was announced and have their knives out every time we play, in anticipation and busting a gut to tell us how bad he is and how right they were from the beginning.
I am not sure about the merits or not about GON, but as long as he is managing Wolves, he will get my full support, as will the team wearing our famous colours.
As you will know, I detest Lopetegui, but from when he signed to be our new manager,till the end of the season, until he started his shenanigans with his TV buddy, I never criticised him once, even when we took some drubbings.
Everyone is free to voice an opinion and that is the way it should be, but my opinion is, I will keep backing the manager and players. That is the way I was brought up.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at our fixtures

We will be lucky to win another game before Christmas

I’m being deadly serious

Burnley at home! The rest we will get picked off like always back 4 doesn’t suit these players

Luton away
Man City home
Villa home
Bournemouth away
Newcastle home
Sheff Utd away
Spurs home
Fulham away
Arsenal away
Burnley home
Forest home
West Ham away
Chelsea home

SORRY but he’s going to get sacked if we continue to lose hopefully sooner rather than later

Look at those fixtures no way is he going to survive that.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at our fixtures

We will be lucky to win another game before Christmas

I’m being deadly serious

Burnley at home! The rest we will get picked off like always back 4 doesn’t suit these players

Luton away
Man City home
Villa home
Bournemouth away
Newcastle home
Sheff Utd away
Spurs home
Fulham away
Arsenal away
Burnley home
Forest home
West Ham away
Chelsea home

SORRY but he’s going to get sacked if we continue to lose hopefully sooner rather than later

Look at those fixtures no way is he going to survive that.
It is fair to say our home fixtures have been an absolute joke.

First winnable home game was always burnley on paper .

We have to pick up away wins at Luton and bournemouth, and try get something vs villa

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is fair to say our home fixtures have been an absolute joke.

First winnable home game was always burnley on paper .

We have to pick up away wins at Luton and bournemouth, and try get something vs villa
Unfortunately the fixtures have been unkind but we lose to luton the others will turn on him out of his depth big time

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The others?

Not sure any have turned on him !

What’s the obsession with wanting him out? We aren’t attracting a better msnsger

There are plenty of managers without a club that are light years ahead of O Neill, but for some dumb reason Hobbs seems to intent on getting an English coach, who btw are 90% all ****.

Theres also the most glaring issue, the little arrogant dictator running the club, until him and Fosun are gone, it's crap yes men like O'Neill. Pathetic way to run a club.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are plenty of managers without a club that are light years ahead of O Neill, but for some dumb reason Hobbs seems to intent on getting an English coach, who btw are 90% all ****.

Theres also the most glaring issue, the little arrogant dictator running the club, until him and Fosun are gone, it's crap yes men like O'Neill. Pathetic way to run a club.
Who’s without a club that wolves would pay for then? And who would come knowing the approach to transfer windows?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who’s without a club that wolves would pay for then? And who would come knowing the approach to transfer windows?
Well Matt Hobbs says they have a list and are always talking to people, so our opinion won’t matter, the chosen one is being lined up now!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm getting old and perhaps it's my memory but yesterday's first half was better than JLs 'master class' except we weren't fortunate enough to score a 2nd (though we should have). In the 2nd half of both games we were pushed back and only had a few break away attacks.
I doubt anyone is convinced by GON but it's clear that many posters on here are not going to give him a chance.

Back
Top Bottom