Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
His tactics at Bournemouth were probably to consolidate and play on the counter, trying to scrape points to keep them up.

Whilst we *could* be in a relegation scrap, there's no need to adopt that mentality from the off. He's got free reign to be positive and use whatever tactics he likes.

He has a much more talented pool of players at his disposal
Yes but as most posters are saying, he’s not that type of manager. You just can’t change, it’s not as simple as turning a tap on

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This squad is better than anything gary o neil
Has ever come close to coaching or even playing with in his career in football!!!

I think GON should have no issues other than dealing with players who won’t have a clue as to how the hell a bloke not good enough for Bournemouth has become their manager, when they signed to play under Lopetegui not a guy with less than 8 months of managerial experience.

Didn't O'Neil have a decent premier league career and played in Europe with Middlesbrough.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His tactics at Bournemouth were probably to consolidate and play on the counter, trying to scrape points to keep them up.

Whilst we *could* be in a relegation scrap, there's no need to adopt that mentality from the off. He's got free reign to be positive and use whatever tactics he likes.

He has a much more talented pool of players at his disposal

I wouldn't look that deep into what he did at Bournemouth. I wouldn't even take anything from United on Monday either. Give him 3 games and then decide

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey... He is being judged before he is appointed and before he has started work. What little I know is that he did an amazing job last season and we should at least give him more respect than being shown by many on here. IF he "fails" (whatever that means) the fault is Shi's not his. Get behind him!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His backroom staff have previously been Shaun Cooper, Gareth Stewart and Tommy Elphick.....names you can bet the likes of Joao Gomes and Mattheus Nunes are chomping at the bit to work with

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not something we know in fairness.

He doesn't have an established backroom team.
Who will he bring?
We're placing this responsibility on those who hired Dr Death and cobbled together Lage's backroom team.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Blimey... He is being judged before he is appointed and before he has started work. What little I know is that he did an amazing job last season and we should at least give him more respect than being shown by many on here. IF he "fails" (whatever that means) the fault is Shi's not his. Get behind him!
Come on accept reality chap, you can shout your post from the rooftop, but we all know if it turns out to be turgid football, the fans will voice their opinion, it’s called human nature

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
He used 8 different formations at Bournemouth. I don't think he has a clue about his preferred formation:

Think the 8 formations is a bit harsh. For instance is there really much of a difference between 442, 442 double six and 4411.. Could even argue the 4411 is very similar to 4231. Wouldn't read to much into the formations personally, it's more down to the style of play being consistent throughout or a clear game plan depending on the team we're up against

Reaction score
We should not be blinkered into thinking we know too much about a coach who has 37 games experience at a relegation fodder club.

He took over a team that had just lost 9 - 0. Everyone's certs to go down.

What would you expect him to do going in to that?

This is his big chance, going in to a club that's got enough talent there to not have to play in a backs to the wall style (at least not every game!).

Eddie Howe was a different manager at Bournemouth to what he is with Newcastle. We can only hope the same with O Neil.

It's a bit foolish to judge him on his first couple of games with us - tough tough games.

O Neil is an unknown to a large degree. Better to have an unknown, they could be anything, than a has been failure.
We should also not be blinkered into thinking a bloke with so little experience has any credentials to manage this football club.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't O'Neil have a decent premier league career and played in Europe with Middlesbrough.
Still doesn’t mean he played with the calibre of what he will be coaching here.
More than half of his career was below the prem level.

Reaction score
That's daft isn't it? They all have to start somewhere. He clearly has something about him as a manager.
Not daft really, most people who start off in the premier league with so little first team coaching experience fail. Just facts. Ive nothing against the bloke but hes still an apprentice, if I started out in my job being put in a high position because i'd had shown a bit of promise i'd have been out of my depth.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's daft isn't it? They all have to start somewhere. He clearly has something about him as a manager.
A premier league job shouldn’t be a starting point….. it is a recepie for disaster.

The fact he couldn’t even get a championship job over the summer is a worry for me as there were some available.

This is a cheap and no ambition hire of a person it will cost peanuts in salary on and will be easier to control and cost little to sack.

So the perfect hire for a Chinese owned business

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how Real Madrid is constantly mentioned as though his time there was anything to be proud of!
Regardless, he still worked there, and whilst it was disastrous, he joined them at a time when it was always going to go backwards before it went forwards (replacing Ronaldo with an 18-year old Vinicius Jnr)

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Not daft really, most people who start off in the premier league with so little first team coaching experience fail. Just facts. Ive nothing against the bloke but hes still an apprentice, if I started out in my job being put in a high position because i'd had shown a bit of promise i'd have been out of my depth.
Pep Guardiola started his senior managerial career at Barcelona. Look how that turned out.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They normally cut their teeth for a few seasons in the lower leagues.
Look what happens when certain managers are fast-tracked to the big time way too soon based on "having something about them".

Lampard
Gerrard
Gary Neville

This is not a job for a novice.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep Guardiola started his senior managerial career at Barcelona. Look how that turned out.
He was groomed in the system there and did a great job in the apprentice job with the B team, after being a player indoctrinated with the philosophy and ethos of the club from a youngster as a player.

He was always going to succeed there. Look at the mentors and people he had.

Using him to defend GON hire is hilarious as they aren’t close to comparable

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe with a preseason Gary will get chance to show what he can do, instead of the fire fighting he had to do at Bournemouth.....ah, bit of a problem.....his first game is on Monday at Old Trafford.

What a colossal **** up

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless, he still worked there, and whilst it was disastrous, he joined them at a time when it was always going to go backwards before it went forwards (replacing Ronaldo with an 18-year old Vinicius Jnr)
He worked there for 3 months. He was their worst manager of recent times. Maybe he was unlucky with the timing, maybe he didn't do a very good job?
Former Spain and Sevilla manager might work better for him, rather than be reminded that he is the guy who flunked the biggest job in football.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on accept reality chap, you can shout your post from the rooftop, but we all know if it turns out to be turgid football, the fans will voice their opinion, it’s called human nature
That is quite likely and I can accept him being called out if we are rubbish etc etc. But what irks me is that he is being bad named before a ball has even been kicked under his tutelage. FWIW (which is not a lot...) he would not be my choice - although I have no idea who would accept a job at this moment at Primark Wolves.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lets be honest, the bloke is a chancer. he got the job because he was there at bournemouth. then they sacked him. he has no "tactics", he just needs a salary
Harsh, hardly a chancer. He got offered the job and kept Bournemouth up.

However we need a proven Premier League manager not a novice, hope he proves us wrong.

Back
Top Bottom