Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil on Monday night football

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was definitely of the GON out brigade after Luton and Ipswich, but I must admit that’s good stuff to see. BUT, it does not alter the fact that we changed from a successful 3/5 at the back to a 4 and were v sloppy at times, probably leading to the Bournemouth goal.
I really want GON to do well, because that will mean that Wolves are doing well; and I am not a hire and fire person, I want stability, but I can’t help feeling that there’s a bit too much tinkering.
Really hope I am wrong, and it is early days yet; we have good performances against City and Villa, and in some halves of games second half, but we have been poor in other games. We need to add consistency to the performances.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was definitely of the GON out brigade after Luton and Ipswich, but I must admit that’s good stuff to see. BUT, it does not alter the fact that we changed from a successful 3/5 at the back to a 4 and were v sloppy at times, probably leading to the Bournemouth goal.
I really want GON to do well, because that will mean that Wolves are doing well; and I am not a hire and fire person, I want stability, but I can’t help feeling that there’s a bit too much tinkering.
Really hope I am wrong, and it is early days yet; we have good performances against City and Villa, and in some halves of games second half, but we have been poor in other games. We need to add consistency to the performances.
Did you watch the Sky clip ?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you watch the Sky clip ?
Yes, Traore was out of position leaving a gap for Bournemouth to exploit,
Still didn’t explain why we shifted from a back 3/5 to a 4, unless I missed it.

CactusOwl

Reaction score
Because Bournemouth were down to 10 so we put an extra attacking player on and went with 4 ATB instead of 5

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
This is my favourite post from the Bournemouth forum. Think that this poster may have mixed up his metaphors a little.

View attachment 38050
"Rocket surgery" brilliant.

On the other hand, gets your pants pulled down and there's a massive hole to exploit - let's not go there!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been following Wolves since 1977, we’ve been **** at throw-ins since then.

I actually think it’s me…

So l was at the first match where he did this and he got a booking for ungentlemanly conduct. It was something else watching that ball fly into the box

Think it has become more normal over the years in overseas leagues (l think in order for a throw in to be legal both feet need to be on the ground so it doesn’t matter about the run up).

If only we had a weapon like this at our disposal

Sir Ron

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes, that was a properly impressive explanation by Gary. I was highly critical of Gary only a few weeks ago, but watching that I can see why Hobbs was impressed. Insightful and very clearly explained. As someone said earlier, PE Teacher my ****.

Well worth a watch for anyone with access to MNF. More to come at 10:30 too.
It was brilliant, in four minutes he made me realise I don’t know anything about the game.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He came across really well. Must avoid hubris, though, fine line between confidence and being seen as arrogant. But I think the players will buy into that.
Impressive.

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have had a lot of my mates contact me who are Villa, Arsenal Man U and Liverpool fans.. all have been impressed with him tonight.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really enjoyed MNF with Gary. Far more than I expected, both from him, and to be fair, from Sky who gave him plenty of time before and after the game to talk about himself, and how he set us up for the Bournemouth game and then later, the Man City game. Gary came across really well in all the segments, and watching that, it’s easy to see why Hobbs was impressed, and why the players have been so positive. Why the hell Bournemouth sacked him, I have no idea.

Coming on the back of a good sequence of results, that’s really helped to give me hope for the season, knowing that we face a really hard couple of games in the coming days and weeks. UTW!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He came across really well. Must avoid hubris, though, fine line between confidence and being seen as arrogant. But I think the players will buy into that.
Impressive.
Arrogant, he is definitely not!

Intelligent, sensible, articulate and level headed he definitely is.

His interview from 10.30 onwards was great to watch and listen to. No hesitation in explaining the tactical questions when setting us up against Man City and Bournemouth. He wanted his own style of play from the first day he arrived and he said that to the players, who had a different manager for the whole of pre season. Difficult to do, but the players bought into it In very short space of time.

Just great to hear him mention what a great club he is at, with excellent players, great support staff and wonderful supporters. Matt Hobbs came in for a special mention as well.

Nothing big headed when asked about his ambition for this season. Basically said take each game as it comes, in a very tough league. No arrogance whatsoever.

Let’s get behind Gary, his staff and our excellent players. There will be bumps along the way, but we appear to have a very good guy in charge.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did, very clearly. Said he expected Bournemouth to play with a single pivot so thought pressing in a 442 would work best, however they set up differently and it left Gomes and Traore unsure on where to press, and led to us being exposed for their goal.

So then he changed it.

Gary spoke well tonight. Confident chap, just about the right side of the line before arrogance comes into play.

Imagine it will rattle the Bournemouth manager but he won’t be here for his revenge in the return fixture. Pep, though, I’ve no doubt will inflict a massacre on us at their place.

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was against the appointment from the start and walked out of both the Brighton and Liverpool games before the end, something I had never done before in well over 60 years as a supporter. I haven't seen MNF but the comments on here are amazing, and in the last three games we've seen a dramatic improvement. Delighted to admit it looks like I was very probably wrong. If after another 9 games we've got a total of 29points, I'll be certain I was completely wrong.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did, very clearly. Said he expected Bournemouth to play with a single pivot so thought pressing in a 442 would work best, however they set up differently and it left Gomes and Traore unsure on where to press, and led to us being exposed for their goal.

So then he changed it.

Gary spoke well tonight. Confident chap, just about the right side of the line before arrogance comes into play.

Imagine it will rattle the Bournemouth manager but he won’t be here for his revenge in the return fixture. Pep, though, I’ve no doubt will inflict a massacre on us at their place.
I’m sure Gary will give the lads a good Pep talk before we play them at their place!

Most people were saying that we would be massacred at the Mol, but we were organised, in their faces and stopped them playing many, many times.

GO will have us organised at The Etihad, I ‘m sure and he will be aware of Pep wanting revenge.

We did the double over them under Nuno, when people were saying we had no chance. Let history repeat itself, I say.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was against the appointment from the start and walked out of both the Brighton and Liverpool games before the end, something I had never done before in well over 60 years as a supporter. I haven't seen MNF but the comments on here are amazing, and in the last three games we've seen a dramatic improvement. Delighted to admit it looks like I was very probably wrong. If after another 9 games we've got a total of 29points, I'll be certain I was completely wrong.
Playing 3 at the back with Toti (he’s been excellent) starting has made a massive difference imo BSK. It must be the way forward for the rest of the season.

More solid at the back, allowing our wing backs to get forward regularly, has definitely worked and the players seem confident enough playing a system they are happy with and understand.

Back
Top Bottom