Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil on Monday night football

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not denigrating O’Neil at all, but what did we expect?

This is a manager in the toughest league in world football.

He is going to know more than a bunch of posters on a football forum.

Hell, l would even venture that Lage knows more about football than all of us combined.

Controversial amirite?
Lage would be able to give a similar insight into tactics and how things work. With him though it'd be in Portuguese and when you don't understand it he'll throw his toys out the pram and go off in a huff muttering something about a striker

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watching him tonight he came across very well, not just tactically but came across very likeable you can see why players want to play for him, guess he has always been a natural leader given he was captain through most of his career.

I was very critical after ipswich but since then he has done very very well, We have took points of the best team on the planet and took points off Villa who this calender year have been one of the best teams in the league.

He got a lot of flack of Bournemouth fans for his negative style of play but maybe he was just making the best of what he had instead of playing champagne football with players not capable, I have a feeling the Bournemouth board will regret getting rid of him come may.

I was very critical after ipswich but he's proving me to be an idiot with zero football knowledge other than that of a fan, some of the stuff he went through tonight was like a foreign language to me and things I'd never comprehend.

Hes quick to praise players it must make a difference to moral hearing that than a your not good enough we need better players which has been a common theme with our last two managers, where as Lopetegui/Lage were quick to run them down and Nuno ruled with an iron fist but it was his club with his player and his people all involved in the club it now seems to be much more open than what it was under Nuno and it worked well under Nuno but he was the one calling shots about every detail I should imagine.

If you look at the transformations of Neto, Ait Nouri and others they have all progressed in his limited time here.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think a segment like this showing team-specific prep demonstrates the value of time on the practice pitch. Newcastle will be prepping Dortmund until Wednesday, then a day off for rest and just a day to prep wolves.

Meanwhile, you know Gaz is spending Wednesday Thursday Friday trying to give his players an edge on Saturday (guessing the first two days are likely more focused on skills and less opponent-specific work). And you know what he's doing will help at least a little.

I want Wolves to keep being a pain in the ass to play against for big teams who have to play midweek.

Admit it: you're a little more excited for Saturday, right?

Last edited:

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Guessing this video bit has been linked on other threads, but nice interview with some insight into his managerial ambitions later in the vid ...

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
What is quite telling is the comments from fans of other clubs all very complimentary (except those weirdos from Bournemouth)
He speaks very articulately and is clear that the players are on board too.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love this place. GON goes from being a "PE Teacher" to the future England manager overnight. Wonder where football fans got the reputation of being fickle from. :tearsofjoy:
He's not the next Messiah and he's not just a "naughty boy". He's a Premier League football manager with Wolves and he'll win games and lose games and ultimately be sacked. Let's just hope he wins sufficient this season to keep us up and keeps improving along the way. That's in all our interests, unlike building him up or knocking him down and fluctuating wildly.

For clarity; I didn't watch MNF and haven't seen any excerpts from it, so just going on what I see and read elsewhere. However, I want GON to succeed as much as anyone. That way, my team does well!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's entirely evident now why the players are so enthusiastic in their praise for GON

It was never about club PR, it's each of them seeing this day in day out and having absolute buy in

It might not always translate perfectly to the pitch on a Saturday but I've now no doubt it will more and more the longer GON is given

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Bournemouth were down to 10 so we put an extra attacking player on and went with 4 ATB instead of 5
No, we started with 4 at the back and shifted to a back 3/5 when Bournemouth scored. We went back to a back 4 once Cook got sent off.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment he obviously has posters intelligent and experienced enough to follow his instructions,,let's hope they don't get injured

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only slight criticism: he could mention his fellow coaches and give them some credit, maybe.
Oh I think he did. He constantly referred to “we” as the way the coaching was done. (Suppose he didn’t mention them by name).
If anything I noticed he didn’t seem to draw a clear line between Bournemouth and us, was more about “we” as a coaching team.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted him out after Ipswich and I rarely call for a managers head

Long may he make me look foolish

Same here..
Shows how little we as fans knows..doesn't mean we should stood debating and stating opinions but in my case at least its a reminder to stay a bit more humble

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And there was me thinking that finally we were fortunate to get the rub of the green from the football gods to get us 3 points from a game. 2 incidents unrelated to the training ground..Red card for Cook, a Jose Sa like brain fart from their keeper or we were heading for a draw at best.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And there was me thinking that finally we were fortunate to get the rub of the green from the football gods to get us 3 points from a game. 2 incidents unrelated to the training ground..Red card for Cook, a Jose Sa like brain fart from their keeper or we were heading for a draw at best.
This isn’t actually a bad point in terms of the goals!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
tbh it was really interesting intresting to see the work on the diagonal 4-3 which did come off in the game. Interesting to see how much effort they putting in training,

but also he did say hes very detail orientated probably far greater than a lot of managers, and a lot of players will need time to work this out or still working on it.

On the above likely therefore hard to some who have really poor english, like enzo gonzales to adapt easily

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh I think he did. He constantly referred to “we” as the way the coaching was done. (Suppose he didn’t mention them by name).
If anything I noticed he didn’t seem to draw a clear line between Bournemouth and us, was more about “we” as a coaching team.
And he did mention them in the second long section, which was good.
An excellent evening, for O'Neil and the club.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's impressive to the untrained eye, but I bet that's basic stuff for a qualified coach, particularly one working in the Premier League.

I’m sure that’s true, but what I would say is that he made Carragher look like an amateur and his ability to listen and explain things was very good. Combine that with a positive and likeable personality and it’s easy to see why players would trust him.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were certainly on top prior to the sending off. And most goals can be traced back to a player error of some kind (normally by Semedo).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was very impressive but I’m still uncomfortable about him doing things like this. It’s going to be “that useless idiot should spend less time on tv pretending he’s a good manager” the second we lose a couple in a row. I dunno, he’s very easily encouraged to talk about tactics and what a great job he did - he’s clearly passionate about football and tactics so fair play to him.

As long we keep improving, who cares, I guess?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was very impressive but I’m still uncomfortable about him doing things like this. It’s going to be “that useless idiot should spend less time on tv pretending he’s a good manager” the second we lose a couple in a row. I dunno, he’s very easily encouraged to talk about tactics and what a great job he did - he’s clearly passionate about football and tactics so fair play to him.

As long we keep improving, who cares, I guess?
He speaks well its great for wolves that he got that showing, what i dont like is the homework element its not working out an us right now its working against what the other team will do, and like bournemuth if they do something different we are struggling to adapt

Id like him to focus a bit more on this style of attacking pressing football that he wants to deliver in addition to the tactical nouse against the other team

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He reminded me of someone else with the way he was using his hands and talking at rapper like speed. Professor Green, innit?

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting insight into the work that goes on that we dont see. The training videos put out are just the fluff, the real training is what we dont get to see. Dont think Gary gave anything away really apart from how some things worked on in training actually played out in the match. Other teams have access to our games and can see for themselves what our players are doing so its no secret. The secret is to adapt and change in game if it isn't playing out as expected or if it is but then the opposition make a change to counter what is happening. That's where the battle between managers takes place.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That might be true, but look at the response on social media from fans of other clubs, journalists, and people who work in football. Across the board, pretty much everyone agrees it's some of the best, if not the best, insight from any pundit / player / manager that they have seen on Sky Sports. That doesn't mean of course that he's the greatest ever coach but it does show that he has excellent ideas and is very good at communicating them. A massive part of coaching and management is being able to communicate clearly what you what to do to the players. Even seen some cheeky comments that he's too good for Wolves and that we won't keep hold pf him for long :D
After all, Bournemouth didn't! ;)

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id like him to focus a bit more on this style of attacking pressing football that he wants to deliver in addition to the tactical nouse against the other team

Maybe he is doing what you would like but that is not something to talk to and show the world. Tactical nouse against the other team is something all teams do.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He speaks well its great for wolves that he got that showing, what i dont like is the homework element its not working out an us right now its working against what the other team will do, and like bournemuth if they do something different we are struggling to adapt

To be fair, he talked about this in the post match segment where also discussed the City game. He said that he thinks every team needs to be adaptable unless you are at the very top of the pile, with such good players, you can always impose your style. City are the closest current English example to this, and weirdly, he said that proved helpful since they are very predictable and hence easier to prepare for. He said Spurs, by contrast, are very fluid, so harder to prepare for. When asked about a long term “style” for Wolves, he said he was a vision of how he wants his team to play, and that’s always the starting point in preparation, but that he adapts back from that to suit the opposition. He said he likes attacking, pressing and positive play, so given the right tools and prep, you’d expect to see more of that.

I couldn’t fault that to be honest.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have recorded the last half of MNF and intend to give it a watch. Will say this if anyone has any thoughts on the whole "Do the board listen to the fans" then the last two weeks is a big fat YES
You have Matt Hobbs doing the media rounds discussing the two areas of discomfort for fans, the manager situation and the signings and then the club give permission for a manager to go on national TV and even supply clips from the training ground to almost give a job interview to the general audience. I like it the only other manager in the PL working who has done this in my mind is Thomas Frank.
It has done its job people have changed their mind. My stance is I will wait until January and if I have to eat humble pie so be it not the first time I have been wrong I just tend to think history repeats itself and in the defence of those doubters Potter aside how many British managers the past couple of years have really stepped up to show their stuff.
Look forward to Pivothampton taking on Newcastle a little bit more now

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
tbh it was really interesting intresting to see the work on the diagonal 4-3 which did come off in the game. Interesting to see how much effort they putting in training,

but also he did say hes very detail orientated probably far greater than a lot of managers, and a lot of players will need time to work this out or still working on it.

On the above likely therefore hard to some who have really poor english, like enzo gonzales to adapt easily
It’s odd because I imagined Lopetegui to be very precise and detailed, if anything I wondered if he was overly so.

Regarding language, it’s always going to be a small issue in a multi cultural group; but if you can only be perfectly clear in one language then it’s probably best for it to be English as for many it is their first language and lots of those for whom it’s not can speak and understand it perfectly.
GON will communicate with the majority of the group better than Lage or Lop.

Nuno worked well because his English was excellent and at the time English and Portuguese covered the vast majority of our squad.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s odd because I imagined Lopetegui to be very precise and detailed, if anything I wondered if he was overly so.

Regarding language, it’s always going to be a small issue in a multi cultural group; but if you can only be perfectly clear in one language then it’s probably best for it to be English as for many it is their first language and lots of those for whom it’s not can speak and understand it perfectly.
GON will communicate with the majority of the group better than Lage or Lop.

Nuno worked well because his English was excellent and at the time English and Portuguese covered the vast majority of our squad.
Agreed gon will get his message across well, but definitely he was implying that the players werent use to the level of detail he was providing or is providing

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well like the last 4 managers he’s now calling for new players and saying our squad is too small in today’s E&S. Don’t disagree, and we may be wanting more players, but it decries the yes man image that some have painted or he’s gone rogue after 11 matches.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As will be seen from other postings and other threads I’m very keen to ensure Gary gets a fair chance and is not condemned by the instant gratification brigade because things aren’t happening fast enough for their liking. Where would Man Utd have ended up if they hadn’t persisted with SAF in the early weeks and months???!!!

One thing I do worry about a little is a tendency to be more reactive rather than proactive!!! I love the idea of us imposing our game on the opposition, letting them worry about us, rather than an obsessive study of the opposition which thereby determines which Wolves team turns up!!

It’s a far cry from the days when Matt Busby used to throw the ball to his team with the instruction, “just go out there and enjoy yourselves!!”

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selfishly, this is probably Gary deliberately upping his own profile (and doing a very good job at it).

He was **** on by Bournemouth after doing a very good job of keeping them up. He's probably wary that you can find yourself out of a job even when you maybe don't expect it.

So up your profile, make more people think highly of you, and you probably won't be out of work for long.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON's tactics masterclass has had a phenomenal response on social media

Only criticism seems to be his excessive use of arm movements while talking

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ki7oIarOhQkd.gif

Back
Top Bottom