Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil on Monday night football

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recollections may vary!

Source

And as for praise for Bruno, there absolutely was praise from neutrals for that clip of his analysis.

There was even a lot of praise on here - which was fair enough, given our league position.
Wasn't there also mention of a tactics book Lage had written?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we should be matching CL Newcastle after all :) The test is taking points off those around us like Everton Bournemouth not beating top 4 sides
Win, lose or draw, I expect Wolves to give a good account of themselves at Molineux, and outside of a small group of elite teams like Manchester City, I expect us to give every opponent a game at home.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Win, lose or draw, I expect Wolves to give a good account of themselves at Molineux, and outside of a small group of elite teams like Manchester City, I expect us to give every opponent a game at home.
Agree with this...especially when the opposition play midweek and Wolves don't.

I think Saturday will be a decent performance.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been **** at throw-ins ever since Bobby Woodruff left!!
Funny, but true.
I'm not sure if you're born with it as I had a longish throw and don't remember any particular exercises / training to achieve it.

Let me add, it wasn't on the scale of Rory Delap or Ian Hutchinson, but I did catch some defences out in the Potteries and District Sunday League. :)

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We did, but that's Wolverhampton Wanderers for you.
Luton Town and Ipswich Town was not good viewing, but then we went on and beat City before following it up with a hard earned draw against Villa.
So, Newcastle United could realistically give us another home win and send us rocketing towards a European placing.
But this is Wolves. So we'll beat Newcastle, carry that momentum into next week and lose 1-0 to Sheffield United after dominating the game.

Obviously.

Same points position in the end though.

Reaction score
Maybe he meant as a manager of a paper merchant's in Slough. That's such a David Brent thing to say.
Doing his bit to big up the finest of British cuisine too here:

Maddison replied: “I’ll have a big chippy. That's my recharge meal. “I love a big chippy. Fish, chips, sausage, curry sauce. Covered in salt and vinegar. Mouth watering a little bit at the thought of it.”

The midfielder then issued an apology to the Spurs nutritionists, he added: “Sorry to the Spurs nutritionists if they're watching.”

He does always come off well in post-match interviews — he's clearly obsessed with football and watches games whenever he's not down the chippy / carvery. Definitely has that uber-competitive instinct too: after the Spurs/Fulham game he was complaining about Son getting in his way and facing the wrong way preventing him (Maddison) from getting a second goal — a little tongue in cheek, but you could tell he meant it!

Aussie_Wolf

Reaction score
Doing his bit to big up the finest of British cuisine too here:

He does always come off well in post-match interviews — he's clearly obsessed with football and watches games whenever he's not down the chippy / carvery. Definitely has that uber-competitive instinct too: after the Spurs/Fulham game he was complaining about Son getting in his way and facing the wrong way preventing him (Maddison) from getting a second goal — a little tongue in cheek, but you could tell he meant it!
“I love a big chippy. Fish, chips, sausage, curry sauce. Covered in salt and vinegar..."

Curry sauce AND salt and vinegar? That's controversial !

He seems a nice genuine lad tbh . Good professional and very good player.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you ever get behind Lopetegui?
No...because it was obvious to me from the word go that he only came here to get another big pay off after he got sacked for taking a good Seville team into the bottom 3 .....had us playing football awful to watch ....made team selections none of us thought correct , made even more confusing substitutions ,,had us stuffed 6 0 and 5 0 without a shot on target ,,,snubbed AIT nouri cos he didn't like him no matter how much talent he had ( good management,, not ) , publicly embarrassed Jimenez and mouthinio , 2 of the best ever players to grace our team , and he walked out 4 days before the season....?back him....why????

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think that exposing your tactics, to the whole world like that, is dangerous. Maybe some naive thinking on his part. If I was the manager, I would say. 'Not going to talk about it'. Because it's like you go into a game of poker, and say, 'yeah so I have an Ace of clubs here, and I have the three of hearts.' Any manager worth their salt knows they keep their cards close to their chest. Give too much away, and your vulnerable. Simple as that.
Tell me you don’t understand it without saying you don’t understand it!

He’s not given away any secrets - most premier league managers will work on similar things, it’s just the rest of us that think it’s mind blowing!

What he did do well was make the complex simple, which isn’t easy - but that’s also what the coaches on his uefa course said he did really well so probably shouldn’t be a surprise.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The interview has done his profile the world of good - his reputation amongst wolves fans and neutrals has soared.

It’s also taken the pressure off the club and made fans feel a bit better about the decision making processes - it’s been a brilliant bit of pr, with no real downsides.

MelbourneWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
PS, Did at any point during his conversation with Sky Sports on Monday Night Football, did he ever say, 'I am am not going to give too much away'. Irrespective of wether he said that or not. You don't show your tactics to other teams, and this is just going to give Newcastle information. Newcastle are ruthless, they see weakness and they pounce. They don't care about Gary O'Neil as a person, his success or how Wolves are doing in spirit. They are hungry for Europe. They are scoring goals for fun right now. There's no way we could match their goal scoring rate. I know football is more than scoring goals. Yet it does help netting a few. We have no prolific goal scoring striker, (Okay, with the exception of Hwang Hee-chan) and could have signed another striker. Yet uh oh the funds were pulled. Because Jeff Shi was thinking more with his wallet than his heart. Sounds cynical but it's the harsh reality.

Newcastle this season. Goals For. 24. Wolves this season. Goals for. 11. You can't argue with stats can you really? Stats don't lie. This whole PR Stunt, is probably because Jeff is selling up, and we want new owners. It's as clear as day. Maybe he's done his reputation the world of good. Yet the team, and our success in actually getting points on the board is jeopardised due to his rash, naive compulsion to speak to the press. Which I don't blame him for speaking to the press. Yet, doing what he did on MNF. Was overboard, and maybe I am the only one who can see it. Yet I am a realist, and I see things for how they are, rather than, how they are being disguised as.

Just when I thought it was safe to be a little upbeat again

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PS, Did at any point during his conversation with Sky Sports on Monday Night Football, did he ever say, 'I am am not going to give too much away'. Irrespective of wether he said that or not. You don't show your tactics to other teams, and this is just going to give Newcastle information. Newcastle are ruthless, they see weakness and they pounce. They don't care about Gary O'Neil as a person, his success or how Wolves are doing in spirit. They are hungry for Europe. They are scoring goals for fun right now. There's no way we could match their goal scoring rate. I know football is more than scoring goals. Yet it does help netting a few. We have no striker, and could have signed one. Yet uh oh the funds were pulled. Because Jeff Shi was thinking more with his wallet than his heart. Sounds cynical but it's the harsh reality.
Precisely what did he give away that will aid Newcastle? He explained what he did against Man City and that they play the same way every week. He gave a couple of minutes as to how they worked in training to set up for Bournemouth. None of that helps Newcastle. Newcastle will have watched all the games over the last month including Bournemouth and City so will know exactly what we did and how we set up.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He basically revealed the whole tactics, the formation, the 5 at the back. How we press, how we close players down. Our formation. He pretty much just explained our attacking style verses our defence. Ie, defend well yet get teams on the counter. Okay, playing devils advocate here. If it was obvious what our tactics were, then why invite him on the show? Maybe people knew vaguely what was going on. Yet they need information, don't they Sky. In order to throw us under a bus, and also help teams beat Man City. I was wound up watching that MNF, and won't be watching Gary in his Publicity Stunts again.
He said how we were going to press differently against different teams and what the triggers were. They will be completely different vs Newcastle. Whilst it was interesting and illuminating for us peasants I am fairly certain that coaching teams in the league, including Newcastle, are not thinking oh great GON has told us how Wolves will play against us, we don’t need to do anything else just show MNF to the lads.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Newcastle will be showing those clips of Gary on MNF to their lads. 100% will be.
Good. It will be a waste of their time.

Gary did a bit of PR and it came off quite well. He's obviously very comfortable talking tactics, and so doing a bit of PR where he is doing what he is good at is smart. What he showed is how good he is at explaining something....and a way in which his energy is charismatic. The actual nuts and bolts of the tactics was pretty basic as those things go.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He basically revealed the whole tactics, the formation, the 5 at the back. How we press, how we close players down. Our formation. He pretty much just explained our attacking style verses our defence. Ie, defend well yet get teams on the counter. Okay, playing devils advocate here. If it was obvious what our tactics were, then why invite him on the show? Maybe people knew vaguely what was going on. Yet they need information, don't they Sky. In order to throw us under a bus, and also help teams beat Man City. I was wound up watching that MNF, and won't be watching Gary in his Publicity Stunts again.
Can’t believe he explained the formation, I’m not sure Eddie Howe and his backroom staff would ever have worked it out without Gary explaining it. Also fancy explaining that we defended against city and played on the counter, I’d have never have known that was the way to play them.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
No...because it was obvious to me from the word go that he only came here to get another big pay off after he got sacked for taking a good Seville team into the bottom 3 .....had us playing football awful to watch ....made team selections none of us thought correct , made even more confusing substitutions ,,had us stuffed 6 0 and 5 0 without a shot on target ,,,snubbed AIT nouri cos he didn't like him no matter how much talent he had ( good management,, not ) , publicly embarrassed Jimenez and mouthinio , 2 of the best ever players to grace our team , and he walked out 4 days before the season....?back him....why????
Conveniently overlooking where we were in the league when he took over?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conveniently overlooking where we were in the league when he took over?
Not really,,imo where we were in the league a year ago was down to bad luck .
Bruno tried to change the system to a back 4 ( like we all wanted ) , that takes time .
We signed a new center forward, he lasted 44 minutes.
We signed a new center half , he got banned for 3 games early on.
The squad and players we had were good enough to climb out of relegation no matter who the manager was.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Bruno tried to change the system to a back 4 ( like we all wanted ) , that takes time .
The squad and players we had were good enough to climb out of relegation no matter who the manager was.
So your approach is to condemn Lopetegui as much as possible, giving him no credit for the improvement in our league position, but excuse Bruno to extreme. Equal standards there....

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So your approach is to condemn Lopetegui as much as possible, giving him no credit for the improvement in our league position, but excuse Bruno to extreme. Equal standards there....
I'm just giving you the facts , as most on here seem to have very short memories

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep, real bad luck winning 1 of his last 15 games! LOL.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

Sorry?? ...I thought this was a thread about Gary ONeil????

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Carragher was worth his money I would have expected:
(in a whiney scoush acshent) " So Gary, you have explained how you masterminded against winless 10 man Bornmuff, can you give us the tactical insight into the Ipswich away game?"

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

These things are down to judgement, not chance. Lage even admitted to Kaladzjic that he made a mistake in playing him so soon.

Back
Top Bottom