Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil on Monday night football

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just reading on wiki that his 9 year old son is in AFC Wimbledon's academy. Does anyone know if he is commuting up from London or has he relocated to closer?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth fans starting to reconsider their assessment of Gary as a PE Teacher after watching Sky tonight.

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That was really interesting!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to think I’ve got a good understanding of football, but that just goes to show that the majority of us haven’t got a clue.

Quality insight that is
It made it fairly stark how little any of us laymen really know about modern football tactics, yet we think we can tell managers how to play the game

I was alright when they just gorrit in the mixer

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its good PR. Comes across well but lets not pretend that this is just GON, every premier league manager will have plans/coaching sessions/video sessions like this. Its whether they work thats the crux of it.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not all of us

I wasn't anti Gary till the Luton game when I admit I got emotional and for that week I was.

Odd really as I continually backed Lage.

I can only attribute it to how disappointed I was to lose Lopetegui but as Hobbs said in his interview that was never Gary's fault.

Gary as he said on MNF has now banked some credit, I hope the club back him in January and I'm interested to see what he does.

Where does he feel the need to strengthen now?

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not denigrating O’Neil at all, but what did we expect?

This is a manager in the toughest league in world football.

He is going to know more than a bunch of posters on a football forum.

Hell, l would even venture that Lage knows more about football than all of us combined.

Controversial amirite?

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its good PR. Comes across well but lets not pretend that this is just GON, every premier league manager will have plans/coaching sessions/video sessions like this. Its whether they work thats the crux of it.
:D
Not a fan then Oli ??

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, I’ve been more impressed with him since the Citeh post-match presser on youtube - it’s around 12 minutes ish from memory - look up BeanymanSports if you haven’t seen it - he talked a lot of sense about how we set up for the game - not just about counter attacking.

To be perfectly honest though, I think we’re all just bloody relieved that he’s actually just - you know…. a football manager - and he’s not Mike Bassett! I’m still holding reservations for now that he’s some sort of tactical genius, some even saying he is a future England manager - in the words of Winston Wolf…. “Let’s not start sucking each other‘s dick’s just yet”…

Yes, he’s pulled off 3 great results out of the last 3 games, and I’m starting to believe maybe he was a good appointment - and let’s face it - JL was going regardless, and we needed someone in anyway.

But our expectations were about as low as they could get, so it’s not hard to see how we’re all now thinking he’s Ancelotti :D

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There's a good video of Dyche explaining his 4-4-2 on YouTube. You're right that a lot of managers can do this...that said I think GON is particularly good at it.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
That might be true, but look at the response on social media from fans of other clubs, journalists, and people who work in football. Across the board, pretty much everyone agrees it's some of the best, if not the best, insight from any pundit / player / manager that they have seen on Sky Sports. That doesn't mean of course that he's the greatest ever coach but it does show that he has excellent ideas and is very good at communicating them. A massive part of coaching and management is being able to communicate clearly what you what to do to the players. Even seen some cheeky comments that he's too good for Wolves and that we won't keep hold pf him for long :D

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hell, l would even venture that Lage knows more about football than all of us combined.

Controversial amirite?
Don’t think that’s quite fair, he said when he came in it took a while for the players to get used to the level of detail he went into; that they were used to more freedom once they got on the pitch.

Managers definitely differ in that regard.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Key bit seems to be that the players are starting to see fruition from his ideas and prep - hopefully this'll continue and we'll potentially go from strength to strength. As some others have said, sorry for doubting you Gary! :)

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a good video of Dyche explaining his 4-4-2 on YouTube. You're right that a lot of managers can do this...that said I think GON is particularly good at it.
It’s the ability to make the complex appear simple to the listener that distinguishes the bad from the good and the good from the great managers. If us mixers understand what he’s trying to achieve then you can be sure that the players do.

All managers have had the same training and coaching, they’ll understand the ins and outs of the game it’s the ability to put what they are trying to achieve into practice. Also the ability to create a formation that minimises a players weaknesses and maximises their strengths is a fundamental skill that distinguishes the average from the great. Lage may have had a good understanding of what he wanted to achieve but he would use 15 words when 1 was sufficient.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the ability to make the complex appear simple to the listener that distinguishes the bad from the good and the good from the great managers. If us mixers understand what he’s trying to achieve then you can be sure that the players do.

All managers have had the same training and coaching, they’ll understand the ins and outs of the game it’s the ability to put what they are trying to achieve into practice. Also the ability to create a formation that minimises a players weaknesses and maximises their strengths is a fundamental skill that distinguishes the average from the great. Lage may have had a good understanding of what he wanted to achieve but he would use 15 words when 1 was sufficient.
Interesting

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Controversial amirite?
I think Lage's number one problem was communicating what he wanted and expected from his players.

Besides the language barrier, I don't think that Lage was a gifted communicator. I got the impression that he was a Mr Confusion.

Back
Top Bottom