Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't agree with that actually. We've got a half decent squad, probably money for Jan, decent set up, and a good place to make your mark. There are issues higher up but that's not uncommon.
I can see some of that half decent squad being sold in Jan e.g. neto and if there are incomings, they will be on a budget once again. A new coach will want assurances and even if they're given, why would he trust a word they say based on their track record. I'll hold my ground that they have backed themselves into an impossible position.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if he will still be blaming Lopetegui when were in the championship next season, because that's where he will take us.
Leave him in charge for long enough we will be in league two as that’s about his standard

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate people who deflect blame, he’s a spineless coward, too many people like this today, you mess up you accept it and try and put it right
The man is delusional. That 'group of individuals' as O'Neill describes it achieved ~1.3 PPG under the previous regime. O'Neill can only dream of the "team collective" that ground out clean sheet win after clean sheet win at home.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We are in such a predicament, it's still too early to sack him (and I do want to see how we play at home against teams at our level) yet not too early to start sniffing out a replacement which means the sacking isn't too far away.....terrible place to be in.

He's just the wrong guy for the job, not convinced there are many "right" guys for the hole we have once again dug for ourselves.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"To stick with the group," O'Neil said when asked for his message to supporters.

"We are six weeks in, with a game every five or six days, to a process. There is no magic wand.

"I can guarantee you, when I arrived the place was not running perfectly and ready to go into a Premier League season. There are a lot of things that need fixing.

"I sit here and answer the questions and I'm willing to take responsibility, but the facts are you need some time to put things in place.

"That did not look like a team that I've worked with for very long, which it isn't.

"Do I accept that we need to get results? Of course. Do I want the fans to enjoy every game we play and come away supporting the players? Of course.

"I'm going to work tirelessly to make sure we get it there and we will get it there, but the transfer window is closed and we need to get the maximum out of the group."

When asked what needs fixing at the club, O'Neil added: "When I arrived, the culture of the club needed a shift.

"Some of it needed to move into more togetherness and the way they went about things was very individual-focused and there wasn't a lot of structure to what they did.

"There's a big list of things that need fixing. I understand it's my responsibility.

"People will say 'oh they did fine last year', but the truth is they got 41 points last year and we made an £80million profit on players in the summer. We're £80million short of where we were last year.

"I played that Wolves side when I was manager or Bournemouth, fairly late on in the season, and I know exactly where it was and exactly what it could or couldn't do.

"We need to move it from that, in a more difficult situation now than the club was then.

"They are the facts of the job and I understood that when I took it and I understand it now.

"Every weekend is not going to be rosy, we're going to suffer for some tough weekends and we're going to need to crack on and go again."

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a player once you have lost respect for GON then surely you lose respect for Hobbs the man who picked him . Then the game is over .

Lobo de Madrid

Groupie
Reaction score
Oh dear!

A lot of "it's not my fault", and "players not having played together".

But how often do the Ipswich RESERVES play together?!

Irrespective of the awful goalkeeping, there is plenty about tonight where GON contributed to our downfall, and he should take it on the chin.

His credibility was already in the basement, for many. This excuse-fest will only make that worse.

This, combined with Sarabia dissing him when he came off, paint a very gloomy picture.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GoN post Man Utd away

"I thought the lads were incredible, the lads that started, the lads that came off the bench. We tried to overload in the middle if we could, creating a box with four-vs-three, a game plan similar to what I've always done.

"It wasn't me that created the performance, though, it was the group of players that showed some real quality but, unfortunately, we found a way to not put the ball in the net, despite having 23 shots, then you have my booking at the end for shouting for a penalty. But yeah, we deserved to get something out of the game."

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in such a predicament, it's still too early to sack him (and I do want to see how we play at home against teams at our level) yet not too early to start sniffing out a replacement which means the sacking isn't too far away.....terrible place to be in.

He's just the wrong guy for the job, not convinced there are many "right" guys for the hole we have once again dug for ourselves.
Why prolong the agony? Sack the fraud!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s time he had a song…

To the tune of Ghost Town by the Specials, which itself feels appropriate…

This clown is taking us down
Gary O’Neil is clueless

This fool is taking us down

Can’t go on no more
People getting angry

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it's still too early to sack him [...]

He's just the wrong guy for the job

Why is it too early? He's not good enough. He never was or will be good enough.

This is a competitive results based game. If someone isn't good enough what is the point of throwing games away.

"You're a **** manager Gary, but we'll give you 10 games because sacking after 8 would just be rude"

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Saunders comparisons really are a lazy one

.. but those quotes are so Saunders esque.
I have met Saunders a fair few times since his time at wolves…..

My two pence…..

He is always nice about the club and fans, he did try his best and admits he wasn’t good enough.

He admits and even told me of mistakes he made and talked about ones I never knew about!!
I wasn’t even asking him about wolves! I was enjoying his stories as he is a great bloke to hang out with. But the drunker he got the more talked about wolves hahaha

He may have been a crap manager, but I have grown to like him since meeting him and at least he can admit he got stuff wrong .

I don’t believe GO ever will admit he is to blame for anything

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have met Saunders a fair few times since his time at wolves…..

My two pence…..

He is always nice about the club and fans, he did try his best and admits he wasn’t good enough.

He admits and even told me of mistakes he made and talked about ones I never knew about!!
I wasn’t even asking him about wolves! I was enjoying his stories as he is a great bloke to hang out with. But the drunker he got the more talked about wolves hahaha

He may have been a crap manager, but I have grown to like him since meeting him and at least he can admit he got stuff wrong .

I don’t believe GO ever will admit he is to blame for anything
Gerrim in!

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why is it too early? He's not good enough. He never was or will be good enough.

This is a competitive results based game. If someone isn't good enough what is the point of throwing games away.

"You're a **** manager Gary, but we'll give you 10 games because sacking after 8 would just be rude"

It's too early because the only teams we've played at home in the league are Brighton and Liverpool who are scoring goals for fun and we should have been 2 or 3 clear of Liverpool at half-time. I'm also not convinced FOSUN will pay for an experienced management team to dig us out of the hole they have created. The players need to give more also, they were way too relaxed and passive after going up by 2 tonight, that is a lack of onfield leadership.....no manager will fix this overnight. Our record in games the bookies had us favourites for this season is; 1 win (Blackpool) - 1 draw (Luton away) and 1 loss (tonight) - we have 1 win when outsiders at Everton.

I don't think it's a fair sacking of Gary yet, I do agree he doesn't feel like the right guy for the job but sacking him now will dig us even deeper unless FOSUN have the absolute perfect candidate ready to go and it's clear we don't. (and it's not going to be easy to find one)

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's just like Lage. Its everyone else fault but his. His comical statements that he is here to fix things are laughable. Shi and Hobbs just needs to admit they have ****ed up big time with him, terminate him and rethink our strategy and get serious. Go and try to build bridges with Lopetegui while he is still in the country or just find a competent manager. Fosun might have wanted this 50 million profit this year, and they will get it, but how much will they lose with the second inept coach in a row in charge and relegation to the championship.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
He says: “I thought we looked like a team that hadn’t played together much.

FFS, we have just had an international break 8 of that team remained at Compton, so there was ample time to get this group playing together as a team if he actually had the foresight to think and plan ahead

based on his recent comments I read them, that he knows that managing in the PL is way over his level of ability so he is setting the narrative that it’s someone’s else’s fault to protect my own future reputation

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He says: “I thought we looked like a team that hadn’t played together much.

FFS, we have just had an international break 8 of that team remained at Compton, so there was ample time to get this group playing together as a team if he actually had the foresight to think and plan ahead

based on his recent comments I read them, that he knows that managing in the PL is way over his level of ability so he is setting the narrative that it’s someone’s else’s fault to protect my own future reputation
Exactly. This team has had plenty of time together, yet we look clueless in possession and fall apart under a half-decent press.

The fact we look so bad is down to coaching, or lack of it. We have no identity. Players look worried and frustrated. They don't know what to do. If he hasn't lost the dressing room yet he will soon.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone from being dismayed at his appointment to full on hating the bloke in a matter of weeks.

Perhaps more concerning though, isn’t the fact he sounds like an imbecile every time he opens his mouth, it’s that this same imbecile somehow managed to convince the likes of Hobbs that he was the right man for the job.

I have said a number of times on different threads already, but going from Lopetegui to this, just wow. I genuinely wouldn’t blame the players if they have downed tools. It’s an insult to the the vast majority of them they they should be expected to take orders from someone like GON.

This past 3 months or so as a Wolves fan has done more to make me fall so quickly out of love with football than any VAR decision or useless referee ever could. Just don’t see where we go from here.

Until Fosun sell, we are a dead, apathetic club.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone from being dismayed at his appointment to full on hating the bloke in a matter of weeks.

Perhaps more concerning though, isn’t the fact he sounds like an imbecile every time he opens his mouth, it’s that this same imbecile somehow managed to convince the likes of Hobbs that he was the right man for the job.

I have said a number of times on different threads already, but going from Lopetegui to this, just wow. I genuinely wouldn’t blame the players if they have downed tools. It’s an insult to the the vast majority of them they they should be expected to take orders from someone like GON.

This past 3 months or so as a Wolves fan has done more to make me fall so quickly out of love with football than any VAR decision or useless referee ever could. Just don’t see where we go from here.

Until Fosun sell, we are a dead, apathetic club.
Sums it up

Quite incredible how bad fosun have been

T

TheConcourse

How can you sit there after every game, with things getting progressively worse week by week and continue to blame the culture that was built by a guy who saw a massive improvement in performances, and every other metric that matters?

I'm sorry Gary, but you're talking absolute ****.

The culture of the club is absolutely rotten, you're right, but that isn't on 'the group', that's on you. You're making them worse. Get out of our club, you absolute turd.

1695796316578.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom