Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i’m not sure i agree with that.

i have enjoyed almost all championship years more than the premier league ones (nuno excepted of course).

I dont exactly care whether we win stuff, but i like to be competitive rather a ‘dead man walking club’ with zero ambition.

I agree Fosun gave us some fantastic times but that was more by luck than judgement and i guess we are at the start of some mind-numbingly tedious time where only 8 games a season matter and we
get relegated anyway.

I think a lot look back on The Championship and League One campaigns with somewhat rose-tinted glasses.

Yes, winning most games and romping any league is great. So that's 3 seasons in League One and The Championship over the previous 15 seasons that were very enjoyable indeed.

But post relegation in 2003/04, we had the Hoddle years. Then post McCarthy era we had Solbakken and Saunders. Post League One promotion and post Jackett we had Lambert and Zenga. Before all that we had McGhee, Colin Lee and Graham Taylor.

None of those seasons or periods were particularly enjoyable. For most of that time we either had really good players and drastically underachieved, or we were simply bang average.

Not much different to where we are now, albeit we are now a bang average Premier League side. I'd much rather be playing the best teams in the country while being bang average!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot look back on The Championship and League One campaigns with somewhat rose-tinted glasses.

Yes, winning most games and romping any league is great. So that's 3 seasons in League One and The Championship over the previous 15 seasons that were very enjoyable indeed.

But post relegation in 2003/04, we had the Hoddle years. Then post McCarthy era we had Solbakken and Saunders. Post League One promotion and post Jackett we had Lambert and Zenga. Before all that we had McGhee, Colin Lee and Graham Taylor.

None of those seasons or periods were particularly enjoyable. For most of that time we either had really good players and drastically underachieved, or we were simply bang average.

Not much different to where we are now, albeit we are now a bang average Premier League side. I'd much rather be playing the best teams in the country while being bang average!
Agree so much mate!

But the key is, being competitive and showing fight for the badge and fans while being bang average lol

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As usual very balanced view WolfLing. Having read that though I watched a good chunk of the Lg 1 season review on YT last night. Wow, what great viewing and what great memories. We had Doyle, Griffiths, Siggurdarsonn, Mcalinden, Cassidy and Sako all causing mayhem! I know it was Lg 1 but how enjoyable to see goals going in. Perhaps GON should show that vid to the squad now to show them where the net is?!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As usual very balanced view WolfLing. Having read that though I watched a good chunk of the Lg 1 season review on YT last night. Wow, what great viewing and what great memories. We had Doyle, Griffiths, Siggurdarsonn, Mcalinden, Cassidy and Sako all causing mayhem! I know it was Lg 1 but how enjoyable to see goals going in. Perhaps GON should show that vid to the squad now to show them where the net is?!
McAlinden and Cassidy causing mayhem in League 1.

You must be joking nnw!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

100% agree Wolfling. The last season of Kenny Jackett was the closest I've ever been to not renewing and stop going. Was it something like 4 0-0 draws in a row at home?

I hated the 90's and 2000's. Mostly, watching Wolves between 1989/90 and 2017/18 was a unending torrent of dire football, crap matches, false dawn after false dawn, continuous disappointment typified by the occasional win over local rivals or a good run followed by the inevitable defeat against Tranmere or Grimsby or in the crunch match against promotion rivals, all the while watching us fall further and further behind the Premier League clubs and sink further and further into irrelevance. Even in the relative glory days of Dave Jones and Mick we were Premier League cannon fodder desperately trying to scrap our way to enough points to finish 17th

In the 23 seasons we spent in the second or third tier from 1989/90 we had 4 promotions and 4 losing play off appearances, as well as a relegation. The other 14 seasons was bang average mediocrity.

Like you, I would not swap our current position for any season we spent in the lower leagues until Nuno arrived

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best we can hope for from him is that he keeps us up and grows into the role. Then hopefully kicks on next season.

Ultimately though, the best case scenario is that the owners get serious about appointing a proper manager. If they stick with O'Neil in the hope he comes good then we are in for a long and difficult season.
I presume Wolves want PL survival. Therefore, if Gary doesn’t do well enough, then I guess we’ll see a new coach hired.
If that is the case, then I hope that they have already cast their ‘hiring coach’ net far and wide.
I hope to god that Jeff already has a short list of interested coaches on his desk.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i’m not sure i agree with that.

i have enjoyed almost all championship years more than the premier league ones (nuno excepted of course).

I dont exactly care whether we win stuff, but i like to be competitive rather a ‘dead man walking club’ with zero ambition.

I agree Fosun gave us some fantastic times but that was more by luck than judgement and i guess we are at the start of some mind-numbingly tedious time where only 8 games a season matter and we
get relegated anyway.
Last premier league season was the worst of the lot by a long away.
It started with a dead man walking in an easy run of games struggling to socre and beat teams that would end up for the most part being bottom half. We got rid of everybody and appointed the two coaches left and predictably things didn't improve just like they didn't under Terry Connor. Then we finally get the man who we wanted all along, he improves the fitness and motivation of the side and results improve. But it feels as though as I'd he's getting us to play how he wants to play the results start to get worse. You can tell whether we were going to play well or not usually by the line up that was picked; usually you get top class managers picking odd tactics, you think "what the actual ****?" yet they usually We lose to Bournemouth, get a late point at forest and get battered by Leeds.
We move to 4-4-2 we get 3 home wins against Chelsea, palace and brentford, they are ugly yet they are the pinnacle of the season. My god they were ugly but we were safe.
But there was an encore for this season, this season of 14(?) new signings, and more managers than goals by centre forwards.
We celebrate by having our worst post-war result in top flight football. Our last 5 games we concede 15(fifteen!) goals and get just 4 points, and worse than that half the fan base are to far up the new managers ******** to admit it is even happening.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree Wolfling. The last season of Kenny Jackett was the closest I've ever been to not renewing and stop going. Was it something like 4 0-0 draws in a row at home?

I hated the 90's and 2000's. Mostly, watching Wolves between 1989/90 and 2017/18 was a unending torrent of dire football, crap matches, false dawn after false dawn, continuous disappointment typified by the occasional win over local rivals or a good run followed by the inevitable defeat against Tranmere or Grimsby or in the crunch match against promotion rivals, all the while watching us fall further and further behind the Premier League clubs and sink further and further into irrelevance. Even in the relative glory days of Dave Jones and Mick we were Premier League cannon fodder desperately trying to scrap our way to enough points to finish 17th

In the 23 seasons we spent in the second or third tier from 1989/90 we had 4 promotions and 4 losing play off appearances, as well as a relegation. The other 14 seasons was bang average mediocrity.

Like you, I would not swap our current position for any season we spent in the lower leagues until Nuno arrived
Nicely puts our present position into some kind of perspective. 20 years of **** but now at least today it's Premiership ****!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

So true.

Premier League is the place to be. I'd rather have a decade of struggling in the Premier League than falling into mediocrity in the Championship which was so depressing.

From where we are now we are much closer to push on and get back to the top half contenders group than we have been for very most of the last 30 years.

Also, the sporting level of the PL is insane, so is its exposure in the world. I am very proud we are a part of it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Misty eyed romanticism about the championship makes me laugh as having lived that period home and away it was pretty miserable on the pitch, plenty of false dawns and plenty of signings that make Guedes look like Bully.

I have the misfortune of knowing a lot of Albion fans, when they were first relegated after a prolonged stay in the premier league all I remember was almost to a man how happy they all were about being back in the championship for “real football and winning more games” funny enough they don’t feel that way anymore

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he seriously under threat if we lose today? Wouldn't they look at the situation around game week 15?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Misty eyed romanticism about the championship makes me laugh as having lived that period home and away it was pretty miserable on the pitch, plenty of false dawns and plenty of signings that make Guedes look like Bully.

I have the misfortune of knowing a lot of Albion fans, when they were first relegated after a prolonged stay in the premier league all I remember was almost to a man how happy they all were about being back in the championship for “real football and winning more games” funny enough they don’t feel that way anymore
Brother in law is Albion and exactly as you say, almost word for word. I remember saying to him at the time that surely he’d prefer to be staying in the prem’ but no he was happy at being relegated as it would be good to see some wins again.
Doesn’t feel so positive now…
Moral of the story?
Stay up and by any means possible.
GON might well succeed at Wolves but not without the team taking their chances; or them having the belief to keep fighting until we’re able to bring in a goal scorer to convert the chances we create.
At the other end we’ve work to do there as well and need to stop shipping goals as we are currently, captaincy aside I can’t help thinking Dawson needs to step up now again and make his experience count and guide the team on the pitch. Him and Lemina for me are big players in that regard.
Let’s hope we come away with three points today, we need to move our points tally on somewhat.
COYW!

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This take angers me more than any take in football, my dad has this opinion and it drives me mad

There is nothing about the championship that is enjoyable, not a single thing. You play more games against teams who either kick you half to death or defend so deep that football doesnt exist. And when you find yourself a gem of a player who you can feel proud of liking all you get is the inevitable comment from other fans about how he will be playing for team X Y Z next season. It was one of the reasons I made a point of supporting Fabio early because if you think about it, if Fabio does turn into this great world class striker all you get is the United and City links.

The premier league is the league to be in. Our problem is we went from being competitive and therefore liked and respected to being another on the long line of boring horrible teams like Albion were under Pulis and so many before it that our relegation is met with a mixture of inevitability and relief I can imagine from some who want to watch entertaining teams and not us slumping it up. Its why I am so against the GON situation because I believed under Lop we could have been that.

Suffice to say I would rather us stink up the Prem than go back down and have to suffer Tuesday night 0-0s where not one single soul outside the city cares in the slightest

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This take angers me more than any take in football, my dad has this opinion and it drives me mad

There is nothing about the championship that is enjoyable, not a single thing. You play more games against teams who either kick you half to death or defend so deep that football doesnt exist. And when you find yourself a gem of a player who you can feel proud of liking all you get is the inevitable comment from other fans about how he will be playing for team X Y Z next season. It was one of the reasons I made a point of supporting Fabio early because if you think about it, if Fabio does turn into this great world class striker all you get is the United and City links.

The premier league is the league to be in. Our problem is we went from being competitive and therefore liked and respected to being another on the long line of boring horrible teams like Albion were under Pulis and so many before it that our relegation is met with a mixture of inevitability and relief I can imagine from some who want to watch entertaining teams and not us slumping it up. Its why I am so against the GON situation because I believed under Lop we could have been that.

Suffice to say I would rather us stink up the Prem than go back down and have to suffer Tuesday night 0-0s where not one single soul outside the city cares in the slightest
Probably off topic but I think romanticism about periods can be an age thing and also a one eyed thing as it’s easy to forget the bad and concentrate on the good.

My example would be I was 18 in 1997 when I had my first season ticket. So the excitement of being able to drink in pubs full of “lads”, all new experiences, great music (everyone loves their teenage years music, it’s a fact), seeing Bully and Keane, first tentative steps as an “adult” is a period I remember fondly with gold tinted glasses. Then I balance it with terrible mercenary players after a last pay check, or too happy on the subs bench/injury bench. Woeful managers, terrible tactics, poor opposition. The list in absolutely endless. I can think of fantastic away days that had little to do with football and then counter balance it with Tuesday nights away at Wigan, with frozen pitches, half hearted players then losing 1-0.

Things aren’t great at the moment, Stevie wonder can see that but I’d take the premier league with all its issues over the championship

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get this useless ****er out the club. I don't think he could manage a dairylea lunchables
Is it really all his fault? It is his fault the people above him have neglected the centre forward position? Is it his fault we are down to ten men? Should he hop on the pitch and put away the hapless chances we are missing?

martin120863

Reaction score
We need to get this novice chancer out of our club now!

What ever happens now, he'll twist the sending off into a turning point.

The fact is we looked second best from the off and very fortunate not to concede in the first 20 minutes while offering nothing up top.

The players body language says it all.

Hobbs needs to hang his head for making such an appalling appointment.

Potter now!!!

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Short goal kicks, 1-2, then lump it

Why?????? Now We're sat deep with no upside.

Is it because we saw other teams do it.

Luton got rid of Saunders. Are they going to get rid of O'Neil?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it really all his fault? It is his fault the people above him have neglected the centre forward position? Is it his fault we are down to ten men? Should he hop on the pitch and put away the hapless chances we are missing?

His tactics are beyond bad. He's without doubt the worse manager in the league.

He's been shown up in every game bar Man United where they used what Lopetegui set up.

Even on our only win this season, we got lucky and Sa played arguably the best performance of the season for us to snatch the win.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deserves credit so far today, made tactical changes to react to the Luton barrage and it was working. Red card has now made things trickier but not O'Neils fault that.

He deserves no credit. 4231 always performs badly against a 343, it was why it came about. If he's watched any of Luton he'd understand they attack mainly through the wingbacks so he should've planned against it before the game.

People give Southgate **** but he's smart enough to go 5 at the back when we played Germany because he understood how to counter them.

Why did we have to wait 30mins before O'Neil say this.

T

TheConcourse

Can someone wake me up when this fraud has changed the culture?

Would snap your hand off for Rob Edwards atm.

Back
Top Bottom