Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
He’s not wrong though. Across the Premier League this year, 56 goals have been scored in the first half, while 93 goals have been tallied up in the second half…
Using your figures, 62% of goals are scored in the second half.

Of the 11 we've conceded 10 came in the second half, that's 91%. So he may be right, but we are still way underperforming the average so it goes beyond just "most goals are scored in the second half". Our goals against are disproportionally so.

This also shows we do above average in the first half. The questions is, why can we be so competitive in the first half and then show almost nothing in the second?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Of the 11 we've conceded 10 came in the second half, that's 91%. So he may be right, but we are still way underperforming the average so it goes beyond just "most goals are scored in the second half". Our goals against are disproportionally so.

This also shows we do above average in the first half. The questions is, why can we be so competitive in the first half and then show almost nothing in the second?
Because he isn’t able to cope when the better managers make the tweaks to improve from the first half.

It is always a story of two halves because GO hasn’t got the skills or experience to be a premier league manager where he is up against better and more astute managers every week

Reaction score
Not quite sure what he's trying to say here. If they are 'going off and doing their own thing' - he's the bloody coach. And it's him who should stop them. / organise them.
It was the fact that he said they'd be doing it for a while and he was trying to drum it of them that got me.

We kept 7 clean sheets in 10 matches under JLo!! We've conceded as many in 2 home games under GON as we did in 11 under the previous manager and, other than RAN, it's the same back 4!

So they clearly haven't been doing it for some time!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
4 things happened last season that helped keep us up.The World Cup break where we were able to rebalance things ,the appointment of Lopetegui,a decent (for us) January window and excellent home results post Christmas.Did somebody say we have conceded as many goals in 2 home game under O’Neil as we did during the whole of Lopetegui’s tenure ?
The flat back 4 and seeing us retreat in the second half has to be addressed.As we showed in the first half on Saturday,front foot intensity somehow has to work for 90 minutes but I don’t think our fitness levels are able to maintain it for the whole game .Falling apart in games after HT means it is going to be a long winter.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose the next 3 he has to go

Luton Ipswich & City

Blaming the players I’m sure they are about to down tools

One of either Mick, Hassenhuttl or Big sam would save us 100% convinced of that. They have bags of experience, they have a system, they have a game plan. They’ve been successful at lesser clubs.

Saturdays result is going to make or break his managerial time at Wolves. Giving luton their first pl win will not go down well with the fans
Say big sam once more and...

But seriously, why keep mentioning him? He's been out the game a fair while now (last season was just nonsensical), dodgy as hell, and it's long past his time. Mick would be a waste of time too. Football has long since moved on.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not wrong though. Across the Premier League this year, 56 goals have been scored in the first half, while 93 goals have been tallied up in the second half…
How many of the second half goals scored by Wolves and how many conceded by Wolves

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just put this on the other thread - but I really dont understand his recent comments. Last season (post the Lage farce and Davis disasterclass) our whole foundation for survival was based on picking up points at Molineux. We won seven home games - all of them involved a clean sheet.

Wolves 1 - West Ham 0
Wolves 3 Liverpool 0
Wolves 1 Spurs 0
Wolves 1 Chelsea 0
Wolves 2 Brentford 0
Wolves 2 Palace 0
Wolves 1 Villa 0

Not sure I buy these comments -

“We conceded an absolutely crazy second goals which is a lot of the stuff I have been trying to get out of the players really since I got here.
“They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things. That is just the way they have been playing for an awful long time. So, trying to take that unpredictability out as much as we can until we get to the final third.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just put this on the other thread - but I really dont understand his recent comments. Last season (post the Lage farce and Davis disasterclass) our whole foundation for survival was based on picking up points at Molineux. We won seven home games - all of them involved a clean sheet.

Wolves 1 - West Ham 0
Wolves 3 Liverpool 0
Wolves 1 Spurs 0
Wolves 1 Chelsea 0
Wolves 2 Brentford 0
Wolves 2 Palace 0
Wolves 1 Villa 0

It makes no sense really. He's trying to create a narrative of him walking into a mess when in reality he had a very solid foundation served to him.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves 1 - West Ham 0
Wolves 3 Liverpool 0
Wolves 1 Spurs 0
Wolves 1 Chelsea 0
Wolves 2 Brentford 0
Wolves 2 Palace 0
Wolves 1 Villa 0

Absolutely this. We have the same keeper and defensive players as we did under JL, but they now look and perform at home, like they did away last season. Losing Neves will make a difference, but let’s not forget we got a sequence of good results when he was out too, so his excuse about the players is really an excuse that they are not playing in the way he wants them to. Yet he takes no responsibility for that and lays the blame squarely on the players. Unless their form turns around quickly, the players will simply stop trying, as they did when they got frustrated with Lage.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He continues to speak as if he inherited a poorly coached, unprepared, unfit group from the previous guy (who he shalt not name) when the opposite is true. Lop had us looking a very fit and well prepared outfit in pre-season and this was shown at Old Trafford where we should have won the game and looked every bit a Premier League side, just a few days after Lop had departed and O'Neil had had only a couple of sessions of running around blowing his whistle.

As each week passes the setup is looking worse and we are shipping goals for fun yet he keeps speaking of his vision as if he's some kind of managerial guru.

He was a dreadful appointment and nobody, even his staunch defenders, could have thought it was a good idea when first rumoured.

No other club in the Premier League would have appointed O'Neil and neither should we.

We are in just as bad, if not worse position as we were this time last with Lage only this year we won't have someone of Lop's calibre or the World Cup break to save us. We're relying on Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley and Everton to be worse and after 6 years in the PL, millions of pounds spent and having experienced Europe that shouldn't be where we are now. Terrible decisions by Fosun beginning with the Nuno debacle.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He continues to speak as if he inherited a poorly coached, unprepared, unfit group from the previous guy (who he shalt not name) when the opposite is true. Lop had us looking a very fit and well prepared outfit in pre-season and this was shown at Old Trafford where we should have won the game and looked every bit a Premier League side, just a few days after Lop had departed and O'Neil had had only a couple of sessions of running around blowing his whistle.

As each week passes the setup is looking worse and we are shipping goals for fun yet he keeps speaking of his vision as if he's some kind of managerial guru.

He was a dreadful appointment and nobody, even his staunch defenders, could have thought it was a good idea when first rumoured.

No other club in the Premier League would have appointed O'Neil and neither should we.

We are in just as bad, if not worse position as we were this time last with Lage only this year we won't have someone of Lop's calibre or the World Cup break to save us. We're relying on Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley and Everton to be worse and after 6 years in the PL, millions of pounds spent and having experienced Europe that shouldn't be where we are now. Terrible decisions by Fosun beginning with the Nuno debacle.
A pretty good summary.

We are on borrowed time as a PL club as long as FOSUN remain and continue providing zero investment and putting questionable people into positions of power such as Shi and Hobbs.

May not be this season but we'll go down at some point unless something major changes, the way we've been run post-UEL/COVID has largely been a shambles, with multiple bad decisions regarding the head coach, players and other matters. It all adds up.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the question is how long would Shi and Hobbs let it go on for?

I think Lage was sacked after the 8th game last season (West Ham away)?

P8 W1 D3 L4 Pts6 GD-6

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves 1 - West Ham 0
Wolves 3 Liverpool 0
Wolves 1 Spurs 0
Wolves 1 Chelsea 0
Wolves 2 Brentford 0
Wolves 2 Palace 0
Wolves 1 Villa 0

It shows his high level of delusion that the issue isn’t him.

The scarier thing is, some on here are buying this load of codswhallop, then try to defend him because of two games after we secured promotion under JL.

GO is one game away from matching the amount of games conceeding three or more in only FIVE games. He is scarily out of his depth and he is full of excuses where the blame is elsewhere and not on him. Only losers have that attitude, winners look inward and ask what can I do differently to win, or what more could I have done to help my team mates do better. He is straight to blaming others and has been “telling them” so he is innocent and it is all their faults. He is going to lose the dressing room if he keeps doing this, just look at Jones last season at Soton, that was all he did and the players despised him and the damage he caused sank them.

Be brave, cut him loose now!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Say big sam once more and...

But seriously, why keep mentioning him? He's been out the game a fair while now (last season was just nonsensical), dodgy as hell, and it's long past his time. Mick would be a waste of time too. Football has long since moved on.
Football may have moved on but who’s better and realistically going to keep us up?? Nobody we threw away Jules

BIG SAM AND MICK would be short term options until we consider the likes of dean smith and Harry Redknapp the following season

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big Sam looked unwell when he took over Leeds last year. Still had some good one-liners but was dithering and clearly a man too old to be in that position. He didn't come across sound in mind at all.

He made Roy Hodgson look 40 (get well soon Roy!)

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we obviously had a far better first team and squad last year too.

Our squad is getting worse and worse every season, but most are too blind to notice.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football may have moved on but who’s better and realistically going to keep us up?? Nobody we threw away Jules

BIG SAM AND MICK would be short term options until we consider the likes of dean smith and Harry Redknapp the following season
I was genuinely concerned until this post and even thought you might be Big Sam’s agent, but good work.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This season is the biggest transition of playing staff we have had under Fosun so it's unfair to compare last season under JL with RN running the show. The strength of the recruitment will be the biggest factor, hence why JL didn't fancy it.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There was a time not too long ago, that we never performed in the first half and only woke up after the break.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think you've been on the happy pills! Either that or we're still in 2010. If we got any of those managers, that'd be the end of my season ticket and the long distance travel that goes with it.

I think O'Neill is woefully underqualified but at least he had a chance of coming good (unlikely though it is) and isn't a has been. I also think he'll be fired by the end of November but I'll be happy for him to turn it around. We've had a terrible set of fixtures in fairness to him.

More seriously, GON can surely only be here to keep us up until we can offer an up and coming (but more experienced) manager some money to spend.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Context: he was suggesting that before he arrived we had this issue of being too loose defensively.

We had one of the best defensive records in the league under JL.
If I remember correct, we had a better home defensive record than City? Our trouble last season under JL is we stunk away from home.

T

TheConcourse

If I remember correct, we had a better home defensive record than City? Our trouble last season under JL is we stunk away from home.
Yeah, I can’t quite remember the numbers, but when you took Brighton & Arsenal capitulations out, I’m pretty sure we had the best numbers in the league.

Easy to say, I know, but those games felt like anomalies at the time.

17miles

Reaction score
Maybe with the influx of South American players into the club we should consider an experienced South American Coach ?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he isn’t able to cope when the better managers make the tweaks to improve from the first half.

It is always a story of two halves because GO hasn’t got the skills or experience to be a premier league manager where he is up against better and more astute managers every week
100% true. Klopp out thought him and so did Roy. so will Pep. we just need to pray that Luton dont!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A big factor in this is squad strength too.

Losing Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Cunha and Lemina to injury or fatigue at the weekend had a big impact on our performance levels.

We can't afford that big dip in output against the better sides, but the players simply can't sustain the levels of the first half for 90 mins.

The better teams don't drop off as much when substitutions are made.

3 of the teams we've lost to are in the top 8. The other is Man Utd. We need to concentrate on beating the Lutons, Evertons, Sheffiled Uniteds and Burnleys.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you've been on the happy pills! Either that or we're still in 2010. If we got any of those managers, that'd be the end of my season ticket and the long distance travel that goes with it.

I think O'Neill is woefully underqualified but at least he had a chance of coming good (unlikely though it is) and isn't a has been. I also think he'll be fired by the end of November but I'll be happy for him to turn it around. We've had a terrible set of fixtures in fairness to him.

More seriously, GON can surely only be here to keep us up until we can offer an up and coming (but more experienced) manager some money to spend.
i hope you are right. My round trip is 360 miles for home games and most away games much more. it is not something i look forward to any more. GON needs to go and soon. huge error appointing him and Fosun will have to act or we will join Luton and Sheff U going down

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big factor in this is squad strength too.

Losing Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Cunha and Lemina to injury or fatigue at the weekend had a big impact on our performance levels.

We can't afford that big dip in output against the better sides, but the players simply can't sustain the levels of the first half for 90 mins.

The better teams don't drop off as much when substitutions are made.

3 of the teams we've lost to are in the top 8. The other is Man Utd. We need to concentrate on beating the Lutons, Evertons, Sheffiled Uniteds and Burnleys.
saturday is a massive relegation 6 pointer. a must not lose game

Back
Top Bottom