Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why folk get so hung up on matches in isolation. It's football. No team is flawless every game.

Nuno couldn't even get a point with 11 men in two games against a Huddersfield team who only got 10 points against the 16 other teams. There were countless other examples of poor results against poor sides

Ditto he gave us plenty of duff performances in the Milk Cup

Was it Nuno's tactics, was it the players not doing what they were told, did they have a collective off day?

Who knows but we rightly judged Nuno over an extended period of time and we should do the same for GON

He's not a **** manager because we didn't beat Luton anymore than he's a world class manager because we beat City
Exactly this. It’s easy to analyse a game in isolation. On that basis I’m calling it, Pep is useless as we’ve frequently beat his City team. Also Alex Ferguson was useless as we beat his team under DJ

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve shown we can blow a
two goal lead at a championship team, we can totally fall apart at half-time regardless of the
opposition and our manager
can talk like Dean Saunders in interviews.

Simple fact is GON was a couple of games from being GONE, but with some decent performances and
some luck, he’s now sticking around for longer.

You may think this is a good thing, I don’t.
Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack at United until Mark Robbins saved him, that’s football.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun gave us all these years in the Pl and a quarter final in the Europa.
Yes but if you don't carry on spending and developing the stadium and infrastructure you stand still .

Then who wants to come to less ambitious teams as players or managers .

Money isn't everything in football but I can't think of many that don't invest heavily most seasons to compete .

You could say Brighton. But you could then say Leicester city . Overall you need to invest and Fosun have stopped that .

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. It’s easy to analyse a game in isolation. On that basis I’m calling it, Pep is useless as we’ve frequently beat his City team. Also Alex Ferguson was useless as we beat his team under DJ
And Major Buckley was **** poor because he lost the 1939 Cup Final to Portsmouth 4-1 yet finished 2nd in the League.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As one of his biggest critics, unfairly at times being the focus of my dissatisfaction with those above him, think he needs till Christmas to prove himself, unless a disastrous run of results. Also, have no faith in those appointing his successor, so here's hoping.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t get me started on Major Buckley. Brylcreem-haired, PE teacher’s assistant‘s helper. Wouldn’t have survived in this day and age.
And what about ****ing Fred Scotchbrook, it's taken a ****ing century to get him out of my system what with his ****ing 235 system and his ****ing pipe. *******!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A voice of reason….well said.
A voice of optimism bias, you mean. I don't see much reason in the idea that our rookie manager has done roughly as good a job as our departed, European trophy-winning manager would have with the same group; that's one of the silliest suggestions I've read on here all season. Apparently, it was just a couple of late goals against Liverpool - we'd played them to a standstill for the preceding 40 minutes of the half. Gimme a break. It was just a 10 minute blip against Brighton. And we outplayed United, don't forget ... who have been outplayed by almost every side they've played since...

The revisionism about O'Neill's overall performance after one strong performance and one decent one, is typical fickle Molineux Mix. It hasn't been a mixture of "some good and some bad" so far. It has leant heavily bad, sometimes abysmal, with an uptick in the last two games headlined by an eye-catching win against City. He's earned himself more time, but if he goes back to the crazy subs and bizarre system tweaks, and the divisive rhetoric when things don't go his way, then he'll be right back in the melting pot soon enough. Hopefully, he's learning.

Last edited:

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
A voice of optimism bias, you mean. I don't see much reason in the idea that our rookie manager has done roughly as good a job as our departed, European trophy-winning manager would have with the same group; that's one of the silliest suggestions I've read on here all season. Apparently, it was just a couple of late goals against Liverpool - we'd played them to a standstill for the preceding 40 minutes of the half. Gimme a break. It was just a 10 minute blip against Brighton. And we outplayed United, don't forget ... who have been outplayed by almost every side they've played since...

The revisionism about O'Neill's overall performance after one strong performance and one decent one, is typical fickle Molineux Mix. It hasn't been a mixture of "some good and some bad" so far. It has leant heavily bad, sometimes abysmal, with an uptick in the last two games headlined by an eye-catching win against City. He's earned himself more time, but if he goes back to the crazy subs and bizarre system tweaks, and the divisive rhetoric when things don't go his way, then he'll be right back in the melting pot soon enough. Hopefully, he's learning.
From your negative bias, that may be how it seems to you. I've tried to be pretty balanced in my posts. If you've seen from the very beginning, I was not for his appointment and did not vote "yes" in the poll; however, I'm much more willing to give him some time to figure things out--just because one might be ****ed at Fosun/Shi/Hobbs for where we are, doesn't mean you don't give someone a fair shake at the job. I've called out the games where I think that we were poor (Brighton-6th, Crystal Palace-9th, Luton*-17th, and Everton-16th) and the ones where I think that we played pretty well (ManU-10th, ManCity-3rd, Liverpool-4th, and Villa-5th). Yes, some good and some bad. Given the circumstances, 8 points from 8 games is not bad. Like I said, I'm not sure about his future, so let's see what the next few games bring.

I'm not sure that a sulking JL would have gotten much more tune out of these players. We've had an extremely difficult opening 8 games-6 in the current top ten and the 2 below us were away.

*10 men for majority of the game

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From your negative bias, that may be how it seems to you. I've tried to be pretty balanced in my posts. If you've seen from the very beginning, I was not for his appointment and did not vote "yes" in the poll; however, I'm much more willing to give him some time to figure things out--just because one might be ****ed at Fosun/Shi/Hobbs for where we are, doesn't mean you don't give someone a fair shake at the job. I've called out the games where I think that we were poor (Brighton-6th, Crystal Palace-9th, Luton*-17th, and Everton-16th) and the ones where I think that we played pretty well (ManU-10th, ManCity-3rd, Liverpool-4th, and Villa-5th). Yes, some good and some bad. Given the circumstances, 8 points from 8 games is not bad. Like I said, I'm not sure about his future, so let's see what the next few games bring.

I'm not sure that a sulking JL would have gotten much more tune out of these players. We've had an extremely difficult opening 8 games-6 in the current top ten and the 2 below us were away.

*10 men for majority of the game
Ah, but you didn't specify a "sulking" JL, did you. He quit because his working conditions became untenable. If in your alternate reality he were happy to remain under those conditions, then it stands to reason he'd not be sulking, no? (After all, GON isn't optimally happy with his working conditions, either) Then, the simple truth that JL is a better and more experienced manager would surely be decisive in any head-to-head comparison. Naturally, Lop would be delighted with a win against City, probably satisfied with a home point from Vile, but I don't believe he'd be happy with 1 PPG from these fixtures in all (particularly taking only a point from Palace and Luton). He'd be fuming with 2 GA per game and the numerous defensive collapses that have occurred.

We all think we're pretty balanced in our views...

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As one of his biggest critics, unfairly at times being the focus of my dissatisfaction with those above him, think he needs till Christmas to prove himself, unless a disastrous run of results. Also, have no faith in those appointing his successor, so here's hoping.
That's fair and about where l'm now at. He has certainly shown some ability.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

With all due respect anybody who uses italics on a football forum is a ****ing ****

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People do neglect/ignore the fact last season JL best Liverpool 3:0, Chelsea at molineux, spurs, villa and brentford.

They criticise what JL did or reduce the achievement, but he got wins against 6 of last seasons top 11 teams.

That isn’t to be sniffed at when we looked dead and buried before he took over

BrianSwan

Reaction score
Yes but if you don't carry on spending and developing the stadium and infrastructure you stand still .

Then who wants to come to less ambitious teams as players or managers .

Money isn't everything in football but I can't think of many that don't invest heavily most seasons to compete .

You could say Brighton. But you could then say Leicester city . Overall you need to invest and Fosun have stopped that .
Standing still in the Prem is better than being in league One.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, but you didn't specify a "sulking" JL, did you. He quit because his working conditions became untenable. If in your alternate reality he were happy to remain under those conditions, then it stands to reason he'd not be sulking, no? (After all, GON isn't optimally happy with his working conditions, either) Then, the simple truth that JL is a better and more experienced manager would surely be decisive in any head-to-head comparison. Naturally, Lop would be delighted with a win against City, probably satisfied with a home point from Vile, but I don't believe he'd be happy with 1 PPG from these fixtures in all (particularly taking only a point from Palace and Luton). He'd be fuming with 2 GA per game and the numerous defensive collapses that have occurred.

We all think we're pretty balanced in our views...
Loppys team’s performances away from home were pretty much absolute gash for 6 months, with a better squad.

You reckon he’d have been unhappy with the Palace and Luton displays? I remember Leicester and Forest last season.

Numerous defensive collapses this season?? Loppy was in charge for Arsenal and Brighton away. Leeds at home. Just the 15 goals conceded in those 3 games.

There’s no revisionism from most people regarding GON (although good to see a few posters who called him a useless **** and compared him Dean Saunders show him a bit of backing now), it’s just that some people could see the limitations of the squad and what he was trying to do.

General feeling from the lads I go with is that he has a tough job, is doing well with what’s available and that the football has overall been more enjoyable to watch than the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People do neglect/ignore the fact last season JL best Liverpool 3:0, Chelsea at molineux, spurs, villa and brentford.

They criticise what JL did or reduce the achievement, but he got wins against 6 of last seasons top 11 teams.

That isn’t to be sniffed at when we looked dead and buried before he took over
People also neglect/ignore that in the games you mention the only goal against Chelsea was scored by Nunes, the only goal against Spurs by Adama and MOTM in the Liverpool game was Neves. All gone. Throw in the Podence goals to get 5 points against West Ham, Forest and Villa.

It’s not unfair to say Gary O’Neil has less to work with.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People also neglect/ignore that in the games you mention the only goal against Chelsea was scored by Nunes, the only goal against Spurs by Adama and MOTM in the Liverpool game was Neves. All gone. Throw in the Podence goals to get 5 points against West Ham, Forest and Villa.

It’s not unfair to say Gary O’Neil has less to work with.
Ok, so now we cannot give credit to the former manager for using the players he had who aren’t here any more…..my word…. Squads change…… so now a manager from the past cannot get credit because a player is no longer there?

People are doing JL down all the time, GO has at every opportunity in the losses…….

Was making the point that JL did well and then you replied, diminishing the achievement….. proving my point that it isn’t allowed to be positive about JL and what he did on here as GO is here now……

GO took the job, he knew the challenges, he knew the squad. None of the challenges he faces were sprung on him……

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, so now we cannot give credit to the former manager for using the players he had who aren’t here any more…..my word…. Squads change…… so now a manager from the past cannot get credit because a player is no longer there?

People are doing JL down all the time, GO has at every opportunity in the losses…….

Was making the point that JL did well and then you replied, diminishing the achievement….. proving my point that it isn’t allowed to be positive about JL and what he did on here as GO is here now……

GO took the job, he knew the challenges, he knew the squad. None of the challenges he faces were sprung on him……
Of course you can give him credit if you want. I just find it a bit odd on a Gary O’Neil thread that you’re still desperate to bang on about what Loppy did with a different squad.

All I was trying to say is that our current manager doesn’t have the Neves, Nunes, Adama, Podence options and that should be taken into account when comparing this season with last season, which some posters do all the time.

loppers86

Reaction score

class is permanent, form is temporary.

messing loppers about will go down as a big mistake in Wolves history.

Appointing O’Neill will go down as a stupid decision.

Last edited:

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
... How was Neto finding the form that has largely eluded him since his first serious injury in April 2021?

"Try to arrive in the penalty area more. When he gets someone one-v-one, let's go - don't turn it down, let's go." O'Neil was speaking very fast at this point as if, instead of the radio reporters huddled around, he could see Neto running in front of him. "Every single time. Don't care if you lose it - test him. Let's go."

Defenders have to get it right every time - Neto only needs to get lucky once....

But it's a run for a reason. "He knows that Channy [Hwang] is going to arrive in the penalty area for him." And the instructions to Hwang? "Just be ready, be ready to arrive in the goal, because balls are going to come across, and you're going to have a big chance to score again."

Reaction score
... How was Neto finding the form that has largely eluded him since his first serious injury in April 2021?

"Try to arrive in the penalty area more. When he gets someone one-v-one, let's go - don't turn it down, let's go." O'Neil was speaking very fast at this point as if, instead of the radio reporters huddled around, he could see Neto running in front of him. "Every single time. Don't care if you lose it - test him. Let's go."

Defenders have to get it right every time - Neto only needs to get lucky once....

But it's a run for a reason. "He knows that Channy [Hwang] is going to arrive in the penalty area for him." And the instructions to Hwang? "Just be ready, be ready to arrive in the goal, because balls are going to come across, and you're going to have a big chance to score again."
I love the way the manager has got Neto going again. Obviously he is getting fully fit but I think the manager has a lot to do with Netos upturn in form. Full belief in what Neto has & how to get the best out of him.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still yet to be convinced. He's done well the last 2 games and its bought him some time, but a loss to Bournemouth will be a huge backwards step, but a win will be absolutely huge. We have kind of got the points total based on us getting a result nobody expected it to after we dropped points in winnable games. The next 3 games we should be expecting to beat two really poor sides in Bournemouth and Sheffield United, and i'd expect a point against Newcastle at him if we have truley turned the corner. If we can do that, i'll begin to have a little trust in him.

People comparing him to Lopetegui is just silly. Its two totally different situations. GON had a squad handed to him that was well prepared and were performing well in pre season. Apart from Neves, the team wasnt stripped of any players we wouldn't have been happy to see the back of. We looked a pretty good team even with all the rubbish going on. Lopetegui had to rectify all the mistakes and damage that clown Lage did to the club. What he did was never, ever going to be pretty, it had to be results based and pragmatic seeing as we were bottom of the league, and that's exactly what we got. GON has had a much better base to work from, and i'm not buying this about him having a weaker squad. Apart from Neves, we cut a lot of deadwood and bought in some new talent plus he got players coming back from injury which have bolstered us as well. We are in pretty decent shape to be looking at a comfortable mid table finish. This team should be nowhere near a relegation battle.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course you can give him credit if you want. I just find it a bit odd on a Gary O’Neil thread that you’re still desperate to bang on about what Loppy did with a different squad.

All I was trying to say is that our current manager doesn’t have the Neves, Nunes, Adama, Podence options and that should be taken into account when comparing this season with last season, which some posters do all the time.
Because GO has made barbed and obvious pot shots at JL’s coaching and tactics from last season as why he is struggling and making bad decisions……..

So it is fair to make points that JL did very well and got a lot more points than GO post the World Cup….. so he didn’t take over anything as bad tactically or structurally on the pitch as he is claiming……

If he took over the mess from Bruno that JL did, where we looked like certs for the drop I would agree with him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the way the manager has got Neto going again. Obviously he is getting fully fit but I think the manager has a lot to do with Netos upturn in form. Full belief in what Neto has & how to get the best out of him.
Neto was bang in form like this for Portugal in the summer……. He was sensational in their games and was very good against England and extremely unlucky not to score.

So did GO get him back and looking like he is now when he played in the summer? Of course not.

Or is Neto just finally fully fit and back to his pre-injury levels? As the kind of injury neto had is no lies a potential career ender and will have taken a long time to get physiologically back from.

Neto is playing like the Neto of old as he is finally injury free which he wasn’t for any stage for JL

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because GO has made barbed and obvious pot shots at JL’s coaching and tactics from last season as why he is struggling and making bad decisions……..

So it is fair to make points that JL did very well and got a lot more points than GO post the World Cup….. so he didn’t take over anything as bad tactically or structurally on the pitch as he is claiming……

If he took over the mess from Bruno that JL did, where we looked like certs for the drop I would agree with him.
He said the players weren’t at the fitness levels he requires. Now the stats say collectively and individually the players are running further than under JL so I’d say that’s a valid thing to say and not a “barbed and obvious pot shot”

loppers86

Reaction score
He said the players weren’t at the fitness levels he requires. Now the stats say collectively and individually the players are running further than under JL so I’d say that’s a valid thing to say and not a “barbed and obvious pot shot”
We all know what he meant and it was definitely an obvious potshot at Lop.

I don’t think it was intentional, I think he blurted it out as an easy excuse when he didn’t know what else to say.

loppers86

Reaction score
Are you saying the previous manager didn’t have belief in Neto and didn’t know how to get the best out of him but GON does?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If GON turns out to be our Alex Ferguson then I’ll be delighted.
He clearly won’t. However my point was don’t write off a manager who is “close to the sack”

I didn’t want GON but I always felt with the sheer transition of the squad and being dumped into the job 3 days before the season started he deserved a bit of slack to begin with a decent amount of time before he’s judged.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know what he meant and it was definitely an obvious potshot at Lop.

I don’t think it was intentional, I think he blurted it out as an easy excuse when he didn’t know what else to say.
I can only speak for myself and say I didn’t see it as a pop shot or indeed an excuse. The stats don’t lie, they are running further so that will require a different level of fitness.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be giving all of the credit to GO for Neto's renaissance - his turnaround seems to have been partly from the confidence gained from tearing it up for Portugal u21's, but to O'Neil's credit he's capitalised on that and is now getting the best out of him in a Wolves shirt.

My biggest problem with O'Neil before he came was his lack of experience and the inevitability that he will have to learn on the job in a league that is rather unforgiving. That he's in that position isn't his fault, but the gamble of owners who looked at the division and speculated on three worse teams giving him the license to learn and make mistakes. Essentially we are all suffering for the mistakes Fosun have made.

Since he came, it's been a mixed bag. No doubt some of the criticism got his back up, which resulted in his less than impressive press conferences trying to shift the blame - wasn't keen on that, or his decision to not face the fans after the Ipswich game. In-game, he's looked a bit lost with some of his decisions and you've had open signs of dissent from some of the players as well as the tunnel fiasco against Brighton.

However, he has managed to get two resolute performances out of the players in the last two games, and he's managed to get a little cohesion out of our attacking play. On the face of it, he seems to have the growing support of the players, and the Man City win has not only bought him some breathing space with the fans, but it's resulted in him probably being less uptight and defensive in his press conferences and we're seeing more positive traits in his demeanor in general.

I still don't think he has the credentials for the Wolves job as I see it, but unfortunately Wolves aren't where I see them any more. They are where Fosun see them, so we aren't going to get a Gallardo or even a Potter, we are in the Beale/Carsley/O'Neil territory of managers - people whose body of work is too limited to give you any degree of even limited assurance over the future other than blind hope.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People comparing him to Lopetegui is just silly. Its two totally different situations. GON had a squad handed to him that was well prepared and were performing well in pre season. Apart from Neves, the team wasnt stripped of any players we wouldn't have been happy to see the back of. We looked a pretty good team even with all the rubbish going on.

Apart from Neves, we cut a lot of deadwood and bought in some new talent plus he got players coming back from injury which have bolstered us as well. We are in pretty decent shape to be looking at a comfortable mid table finish. This team should be nowhere near a relegation battle.

I'm surprised you were you this confident about how good a situation Wolves were in before the season!

Oh, hold on:

as i keep saying, i think he is on a hiding to nothing here with the way things are right now.
i've said all along he's set up to fail, which isnt his fault.
He's set up to fail. You don't need to be a genius to work that out.
Relegation nailed on.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comments about them being lose and
lacking structure, moving too much.

From after brighton and palace he said that stuff. Do they not ring a bell?

Back
Top Bottom