Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

loppers86

Reaction score
That’s one way of looking at it.

Alternatively, with Gary at the helm, we have shown that we can compete with the best of them and grind out some results.

I’ll settle for that after the **** show of a summer that we had.
We’ve shown we can blow a
two goal lead at a championship team, we can totally fall apart at half-time regardless of the
opposition and our manager
can talk like Dean Saunders in interviews.

Simple fact is GON was a couple of games from being GONE, but with some decent performances and
some luck, he’s now sticking around for longer.

You may think this is a good thing, I don’t.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
two goal lead at a championship team, we can totally fall apart at half-time regardless of the

Simple fact is GON was a couple of games from being GONE, but with some decent performances and

Please give your head a right good wobble

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wouldn't expect anything less from somebody called 'loppers86' but nobody is getting carried away, some of us are just willing to give him a chance rather than writing him off after a month and no preseason. Your mate Loppers is responsible for that no preseason part by the way.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect anything less from somebody called 'loppers86' but nobody is getting carried away, some of us are just willing to give him a chance rather than writing him off after a month and no preseason. Your mate Loppers is responsible for that no preseason part by the way.
Your last sentence does not correspond to what Matt Hobbs had to say.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have also shown that we cannot beat a championship reserve team and we got out played before the red card by the worst team in the league……

He has done well the last two weeks, but let’s judge him when we play a team we are equal or better than as so far he has been found wanting in these games so far.
So basically he needs to get this squad playing well every single game. ****s sake.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
We have also shown that we cannot beat a championship reserve team and we got out played before the red card by the worst team in the league……

He has done well the last two weeks, but let’s judge him when we play a team we are equal or better than as so far he has been found wanting in these games so far.
Correction. We got outplayed for about 15-20 minutes in the first half at Luton. After he corrected for Luton's change in game plan, we started to control the game. Then, the red card occurred. We still grabbed a point on the road playing with 10 men for a majority of the game.

We played Liverpool to stand still (and completely outplayed them in the first half) until we let a couple of late goals in at the 85'. Outplayed ManCity. Outplayed ManU on the road and got ripped off for a penalty claim.

Our crap game(s) have been Crystal Palace (A), Everton (A)--but won, and Brighton (H) for about 10 minutes of terrible defending.

Some good and some bad. I still don't know if he'll be our manager long-term; but, in my mind, his results so far are probably not much different than what JL would have done with the same group. GON did it with no preseason, a small staff, players joining late in the window, and one of the hardest opening 8 games. Signs are good that the players are supporting him and he starting to know them better--his subs have seemed to improved as well. The fact that he has Neto engaged and on fire is a huge positive sign. Based on what I've seen, we are a good striker away from being at Villa's level, tbh. Right now? We're probably heading for 10th to 14th, if we don't get any bad injuries. No way is this team getting relegated.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correction. We got outplayed for about 15-20 minutes in the first half at Luton. After he corrected for Luton's change in game plan, we started to control the game. Then, the red card occurred. We still grabbed a point on the road playing with 10 men for a majority of the game.

We played Liverpool to stand still (and completely outplayed them in the first half) until we let a couple of late goals in at the 85'. Outplayed ManCity. Outplayed ManU on the road and got ripped off for a penalty claim.

Our crap game(s) have been Crystal Palace (A), Everton (A)--but won, and Brighton (H) for about 10 minutes of terrible defending.

Some good and some bad. I still don't know if he'll be our manager long-term; but, in my mind, his results so far are probably not much different than what JL would have done with the same group. GON did it with no preseason, a small staff, players joining late in the window, and one of the hardest opening 8 games. Signs are good that the players are supporting him and he starting to know them better--his subs have seemed to improved as well. The fact that he has Neto engaged and on fire is a huge positive sign. Based on what I've seen, we are a good striker away from being at Villa's level, tbh. Right now? We're probably heading for 10th to 14th, if we don't get any bad injuries. No way is this team getting relegated.
So Luton we’re the better team for the majority of the time it was 11v11 and we’re far superior to us playing the strict game plan they play every week that some how we didn’t prepare for and struggled to cope
With….. the team was poorly prepared for that game and the start reflected that. Luton play basic football down one wing and whip
It into the box. Oh and when it was 11v11 they smashed the post with Sa well and truly beaten.

Let’s save the “turned a corner” and talk of improvement till we play well against an equal team or one we should beat as his record against them sides this season is very very poor.

Also…. Liverpool out played us in the second half…… they were levels above us before Sa’ brain fart, we played well for one half…. It is a 90 min game…. And our second half was a boxing 10-8 round to Liverpool they were the far better side than us till the late goals too.

Stop it…… villa are a much better side than us…. The table doesn’t lie and they battered the team who whalloped us….. and are an outside bet for a top 5 place…. We are a million miles off villa’s level, to say otherwise is lunacy and old gold tinted specs nonsense.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So basically he needs to get this squad playing well every single game. ****s sake.
Yes….. as that is his job……

How is that an unreasonable expectation? To see the team play well each week…..

that is elite sport mate, welcome to the party lol

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hold on….. also noticed…. Out played Man City

Hahahahahahahaha

What ever you are smoking I want some!!!!!!

They had nearly 65% possession

Outplayed

Hahahahahhahahaa

We defended fantastically, but outplayed…….

You need to go on a stand up tour with that joke, it is the funniest thing I have read in close to a month

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
So Luton we’re the better team for the majority of the time it was 11v11 and we’re far superior to us playing the strict game plan they play every week that some how we didn’t prepare for and struggled to cope
With….. the team was poorly prepared for that game and the start reflected that. Luton play basic football down one wing and whip
It into the box. Oh and when it was 11v11 they smashed the post with Sa well and truly beaten.
They were the better team for about half the time it 11v11; Bellegarde was sent off at around 38'. They switched to a 3-5-2, which they haven't played all year. Once we switched things up via GON instruction, we started to control the game. "Smashed it off the post" was a long-range shot by Morris...

Let’s save the “turned a corner” and talk of improvement till we play well against an equal team or one we should beat as his record against them sides this season is very very poor.
It's true that we have played better in the last two games. As I said, we played good and bad so far and I really don't know if GON is our long-term manager (i.e., he'll make the grade). There are some positive signs however--you would be dumb not to notice it.

Also…. Liverpool out played us in the second half…… they were levels above us before Sa’ brain fart, we played well for one half…. It is a 90 min game…. And our second half was a boxing 10-8 round to Liverpool they were the far better side than us till the late goals too.
I said that we outplayed them in the first half and it was 1-1 until the 85'. Those are facts. Yes, we lost, but I think most would say that we played pretty well.

Stop it…… villa are a much better side than us…. The table doesn’t lie and they battered the team who whalloped us….. and are an outside bet for a top 5 place…. We are a million miles off villa’s level, to say otherwise is lunacy and old gold tinted specs nonsense.
I really do think that the biggest difference between the two teams is that they have Ollie Watkins and we don't. Well, and Emery definitely has better coaching credentials and experience. But really, that draw on the weekend was a very fair result. We could have won it with Neto missing a sitter and they could have with several shots in close at the end of the game. Anyway, it's just my opinion - they will probably finish from 5th-10th and we will be in the next tier. Stand by my statement that we will not be close to relegation.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Hold on….. also noticed…. Out played Man City

Hahahahahahahaha

What ever you are smoking I want some!!!!!!

They had nearly 65% possession

Outplayed

Hahahahahhahahaa

We defended fantastically, but outplayed…….

You need to go on a stand up tour with that joke, it is the funniest thing I have read in close to a month
Yes, given the game plan and final score. Did Haaland do anything? How about Foden? Grealish? Doku? They scored on a worldly free kick and looked very average. But, I guess GON got lucky.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, given the game plan and final score. Did Haaland do anything? How about Foden? Grealish? Doku? They scored on a worldly free kick and looked very average. But, I guess GON got lucky.
You said out played……

We didn’t outplay them in any definition of the word.

We stuck to a gameplan very well that was to sit back, keep rigid shape and discipline and strike on the counter.

We deserved to win, but outplayed is a massive over statement of the performance

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just want to see what the next five matches look like because I think Wolves will do well and pick up a fair few points!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were the better team for about half the time it 11v11; Bellegarde was sent off at around 38'. They switched to a 3-5-2, which they haven't played all year. Once we switched things up via GON instruction, we started to control the game. "Smashed it off the post" was a long-range shot by Morris...

It's true that we have played better in the last two games. As I said, we played good and bad so far and I really don't know if GON is our long-term manager (i.e., he'll make the grade). There are some positive signs however--you would be dumb not to notice it.

I said that we outplayed them in the first half and it was 1-1 until the 85'. Those are facts. Yes, we lost, but I think most would say that we played pretty well.

I really do think that the biggest difference between the two teams is that they have Ollie Watkins and we don't. Well, and Emery definitely has better coaching credentials and experience. But really, that draw on the weekend was a very fair result. We could have won it with Neto missing a sitter and they could have with several shots in close at the end of the game. Anyway, it's just my opinion - they will probably finish from 5th-10th and we will be in the next tier. Stand by my statement that we will not be close to relegation.
They have a much much better keeper than us, i would take cash over semedo any day of the week.
Douglas Luiz is better than lemina and Gomes as things are today but I think Gomes will have the better career.
They also have two better centre backs than us.

Sorry mate, but bar neto and possibly RAN we would only get two players in their starting 11 at best

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re the Luton comment. I was there and that’s just absolutely not true what you have written. We were battered all game. Just less so when we had 10.

loppers86

Reaction score
Yes….. as that is his job……

How is that an unreasonable expectation? To see the team play well each week…..

that is elite sport mate, welcome to the party lol
and if he can’t do it he’ll be a gone GON because he was recruited as Hobb’s scapegoat. Hobbs is Jeff’s scapegoat, and Jeff (the real culprit) is as safe as houses.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Re the Luton comment. I was there and that’s just absolutely not true what you have written. We were battered all game. Just less so when we had 10.
Clearly, I wasn't there. I've watched the replay two more times - I stand by what I saw on video. After our changes right around 15-20', we took the sting out of the game and started having more possession and attacking moves--in fact, we were on the front foot when Bellegarde had his leg wrestling match. Watch Gully's (@gullykular) post on this--he saw the same thing. Then, we went down to 10 men and had our backs against the wall the rest of the match.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We blew a two goal lead at a championship team with our second string who had never played together collectively, before.
We have a manager who talks way above anything Dean bloody Saunders ever said! Calm and sensible interviews imo.
We have beaten the best club side in the world and got a point from a very much in form, top 5 Premier League club in our last 2 matches.
Is luck having a player sent off and not losing against Villa?
Is luck scoring 2 goals and beating Man City?
Is luck having a striker who has scored in our last 5 matches?

In the Premier League, most managers are within a very few games of losing their jobs. GO and his backroom staff deserve some credit after a difficult run of fixtures and I, for one, will give them credit.

Don’t get me wrong, I was critical after the Ipswich result, but our Premier League performances since then have been excellent.

It is obvious from your posts that GO will never have your support, but please, for once, in your life on the Mix, give him some bloody credit!

Last edited:

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
You said out played……

We didn’t outplay them in any definition of the word.

We stuck to a gameplan very well that was to sit back, keep rigid shape and discipline and strike on the counter.

We deserved to win, but outplayed is a massive over statement of the performance
I don't know what your definition of "outplayed." Anybody watching that game would say that Wolves deserved the win. They have 100's of million of pounds of better players and Wolves beat them soundly in my mind. Yeah...we let them have the ball, but they really didn't do much with it, did they? Nuno used to talk about controlling the game without the ball - we effectively did that. So yeah, outplayed them.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because a guy like Nathan Jones doesn't have anything like those bounce back results in his locker. Maybe you disagree. I thought that guy was a total clown. If you think GON is the same type then we just intuitively disagree in a way that won't be bridged.
Now that he’s seemingly stopped talking *******s and blaming everyone else, then no, he doesn’t seem much like Jones.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what your definition of "outplayed." Anybody watching that game would say that Wolves deserved the win. They have 100's of million of pounds of better players and Wolves beat them soundly in my mind. Yeah...we let them have the ball, but they really didn't do much with it, did they? Nuno used to talk about controlling the game without the ball - we effectively did that. So yeah, outplayed them.
i admire your positivity! Never said we didn’t deserve to win, we did as we scored twice and they scored one.

We beat city, but they controlled the tempo of the game and the overall possession.

our formation and set up was purely focused to stifle them, but we were an ugly ugly watch. We weren’t set up to outplay them, we were set up to hold and be defensively strong and rigid but we posed little to no threat other than play a fast ball to Neto to sprint away or play long balls jn behind for someone to go into a foot race with their full back. We offered nothing in regards to being able to control or really hold possession with multiple phases of ball control. Something we are really yet to see under GO as all of our attacking threat and goals are mainly reliant on give it to the fast lad and watch him run, akin to what GO did at Bournemouth. With our first goal being a near carbon copy of their winner last season where tavernier deflections the ball into our net in a way he couldn’t replicate with 100 other attempts.

Going to leave this one as you don’t have much in the way of balanced thinking about wolves and our performances based on that, your thoughts on the liverpool and luton games.

We have done well in two games playing 5 at the back, parking the bus and hitting on the counter. Let’s see how we play when we play equal or lesser quality, that is the real barometer about if we have turned a corner.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Going to leave this one as you don’t have much in the way of balanced thinking about wolves and our performances based on that, your thoughts on the liverpool and luton games.
This is rich coming from someone who has been slagging off GON since the beginning of this thread. When you are in league with ole loppers86, then you might want to look around a little bit and see if you're out over your skis.

Maybe we have different views on "outplayed." Or maybe they were outcoached? They were "out-something" because we deservedly beat them - it was not luck.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly, I wasn't there. I've watched the replay two more times - I stand by what I saw on video. After our changes right around 15-20', we took the sting out of the game and started having more possession and attacking moves--in fact, we were on the front foot when Bellegarde had his leg wrestling match. Watch Gully's (@gullykular) post on this--he saw the same thing. Then, we went down to 10 men and had our backs against the wall the rest of the match.
Mate, I trust the opinion of the person at the game and I love gully’s videos normally, but he really was reaching with some of the arguements about “intelligent play” as he described it we didn’t create any shots on goal at any stage of the half.

What replay? The game wasn’t televised and all there is acting as a reply is small duration highlights package…..

So I must ask, what attacking moves did you see? As we didn’t create anything or have a shot in the first half as we had no threat, so what positives can you tell us happened in an attacking sense? And our goal was massively against the run of play and the result of individual magic after chasing a long ball, not solid tactical team play. We created nothing all day, they got their dodgy pen, but rattled the post and drew a couple of saves out of Sa.

People keep acting like going down to ten men is a death sentance……

But can we all please not forget, we beat Southampton from a goal down last season….. with 10 men for I think a pretty equal amount of time and that Southampton team is much better than Luton…..

There have been many games where the team with ten win the game after being behind.

Luton are the worst squad to ever come up! We blew that one, 10 men or not, that was a bloody poor result and we set up poorly and rob Edwards looked the far better manager

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is rich coming from someone who has been slagging off GON since the beginning of this thread. When you are in league with ole loppers86, then you might want to look around a little bit and see if you're out over your skis.

Maybe we have different views on "outplayed." Or maybe they were outcoached? They were "out-something" because we deservedly beat them - it was not luck.
I don’t rate GO, but I have also praised him for the last two weeks….. so I am balanced, I give praise and positivity when it is there to be seen. Like the last two weeks.

But before that, he was bloody hopeless and made countless mistakes. Blaming everyone from JL to Doris for the loses when some of the reasons we lost were safely at his door

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A voice of reason….well said.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
What replay? The game wasn’t televised and all there is acting as a reply is small duration highlights package…..
Are you calling me a liar? Yes, I've seen the replay, not once, but twice, via Peacock subscription in the U.S.

So I must ask, what attacking moves did you see? As we didn’t create anything or have a shot in the first half as we had no threat, so what positives can you tell us happened in an attacking sense?
I said that we started controlling the ball via possession and did get the ball into the box. Luton was not getting joy down the right flank after the changes. You can literally sense that the sting was taken out from Luton.

And our goal was massively against the run of play and the result of individual magic after chasing a long ball, not solid tactical team play. We created nothing all day, they got their dodgy pen, but rattled the post and drew a couple of saves out of Sa.
Right, that's how you have to play with 10 men on the road. Keep it tight in your half and break quickly when the opportunity arises. They really didn't create much all day, given they were at home against 10 men.

People keep acting like going down to ten men is a death sentance……
It isn't a death sentence, but can we agree that the odds of winning on the road with 10 men are pretty stacked against you? This article (Home teams win 208% more often with red card (Study of 19,985 games)) states that in the top 5 European leagues from 2009-10 to 2019-20 seasons, only 26% of teams that were red carded, won the game - for away teams, that percentage is 14%. And probably lower still when the red card is in the first half. So really, your argument is silly to say that we should beat Luton when we're down to 10 men.

Luton are the worst squad to ever come up! We blew that one, 10 men or not, that was a bloody poor result and we set up poorly and rob Edwards looked the far better manager
We were surprised by their tactical changes at the beginning of the game - it happens. Ask Liverpool when we played them or even ManCity. GON made changes pretty quickly on the fly and it reversed the momentum. Plus, the players couldn't pass or control the ball at all in those opening minutes. What else do you want him to do?

I'm not arguing he's master class. I'm just saying, maybe he's not disaster class. Ask that dweeb from Bournemouth now if he would rather have GON back...wonder what he'll say then.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you calling me a liar? Yes, I've seen the replay, not once, but twice, via Peacock subscription in the U.S.

I said that we started controlling the ball via possession and did get the ball into the box. Luton was not getting joy down the right flank after the changes. You can literally sense that the sting was taken out from Luton.

Right, that's how you have to play with 10 men on the road. Keep it tight in your half and break quickly when the opportunity arises. They really didn't create much all day, given they were at home against 10 men.

It isn't a death sentence, but can we agree that the odds of winning on the road with 10 men are pretty stacked against you? This article (Home teams win 208% more often with red card (Study of 19,985 games)) states that in the top 5 European leagues from 2009-10 to 2019-20 seasons, only 26% of teams that were red carded, won the game - for away teams, that percentage is 14%. And probably lower still when the red card is in the first half. So really, your argument is silly to say that we should beat Luton when we're down to 10 men.

We were surprised by their tactical changes at the beginning of the game - it happens. Ask Liverpool when we played them or even ManCity. GON made changes pretty quickly on the fly and it reversed the momentum. Plus, the players couldn't pass or control the ball at all in those opening minutes. What else do you want him to do?

I'm not arguing he's master class. I'm just saying, maybe he's not disaster class. Ask that dweeb from Bournemouth now if he would rather have GON back...wonder what he'll say then.
Sorry mate, should have twigged you are in the US so have better access to TV games…… my bad on that one, wouldn’t call anyone a liar on that stuff as full games are out there online if you search hard enough….. but let’s not break the rules by discussing that hahaha

Luton didn’t change their strategy, that is exactly how they play every week, attack that flank and whip a ball in to the big lad. Basic, very basic football and we didn’t prepare for
That and he had to change it in the game. That was such poor planning.
I agree about the red card to a point, against 90% of the league I would 100% agree with you. But Luton are such a weak team, lacking in so much quality compared to ours that we should have done better even with 10 men. If the same happened to palace, everton or forest (teams of similar league places and squad standard) I believe they still go on to win that game.

I love a good stat, but do you have the ones for the premier league? Other leagues are much weaker in Europe, so in their leagues a red card would be the death sentence to their chances that the stats say.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know why folk get so hung up on matches in isolation. It's football. No team is flawless every game.

Nuno couldn't even get a point with 11 men in two games against a Huddersfield team who only got 10 points against the 16 other teams. There were countless other examples of poor results against poor sides

Ditto he gave us plenty of duff performances in the Milk Cup

Was it Nuno's tactics, was it the players not doing what they were told, did they have a collective off day?

Who knows but we rightly judged Nuno over an extended period of time and we should do the same for GON

He's not a **** manager because we didn't beat Luton anymore than he's a world class manager because we beat City

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as those that are rationally saying to assess him against the 'bottom third' teams.
Away games at Bournemouth & Sheff Utd - they will both be seeing us as a realistic opportunity to gain 3 points themselves. Newcastle in between at home - well who knows.

He's had two very good results against Top 6 teams setting the team up well and he does deserve credit for those.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We blew a two goal lead at a championship team with our second string who had never played together collectively, before.
We have a manager who talks way above anything Dean bloody Saunders ever said! Calm and sensible interviews imo.
We have beaten the best club side in the world and got a point from a very much in form, top 5 Premier League club in our last 2 matches.
Is luck having a player sent off and not losing against Villa?
Is luck scoring 2 goals and beating Man City?
Is luck having a striker who has scored in our last 5 matches?

In the Premier League, most managers are within a very few games of losing their jobs. GO and his backroom staff deserve some credit after a difficult run of fixtures and I, for one, will give them credit.

Don’t get me wrong, I was critical after the Ipswich result, but our Premier League performances since then have been excellent.

It is obvious from your posts that GO will never have your support, but please, for once, in your life on the Mix, give him some bloody credit!
Didn’t most of the team that screwed the pooch against Ipswich play in the previous round together? So that isn’t exactly true is it?

Also they made ten! Yes ten changes too…..

So both sides were heavily changed, how have people swallowed his crap up about the “never played together before” they train together every day, played together the previous round and the opponent made the same number of changes.

We lost the game after he decided to have a huddle and a tactical pow-wow at 2:0 up and then the wheels fell off, almost like how the team give up a goal or a very good chance within the first 5-10 mins after half time.

loppers86

Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as those that are rationally saying to assess him against the 'bottom third' teams.
Away games at Bournemouth & Sheff Utd - they will both be seeing us as a realistic opportunity to gain 3 points themselves. Newcastle in between at home - well who knows.

He's had two very good results against Top 6 teams setting the team up well and he does deserve credit for those.
i agree with this. Proof of the pudding is those teams around us, and he does deserve credit for Man City. Villa, difficult to say in a derby like that but we did get away with at the end.

when he was appointed i thought he had 0 (zero) % chance of making it to Xmas - now I think it’s somewhere above 75%. That shows he’s not the total waste of space i thought he was, but let’s see what he does against the teams around us before we decide.

(he’s certainly not the new messiah one or two on here have decided he is after the last two games).

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jury still out but if the players are all behind GON then he stands a chance

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Add in the fact that worldy free kick was a result of a free kick that wasn’t a foul as well

Back
Top Bottom