Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is so true. It doesn't matter who our manager is without Neto this team is bang average. Neto plays more and more like Jota in his prime but Jota had Traore, Jimenez, Neves, Moutinho and better defenders behind him. I think we are in big trouble if Neto gets injured anytime soon. Is he in the Portugal squad?
Which better defenders?

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has already achieved the same number of losses by 3 or more in 7 games than JL did in half a season……

If you think that is “doing ok” I would love to see your definition of both failure and success.
Has he lost 6 0 and 5 0 yet like lopetegui embarrassed us?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The results of the last two games will do him a massive favour. Not with the fans but with the players. It’ll give the players confidence when they put the managers plan in place and it works. It means they’ll listen and implement the plans in the future and it gives them less room to blame the manager for their poor play. Compare that to this time last year with Lage.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has he lost 6 0 and 5 0 yet like lopetegui embarrassed us?
Both games after we were mathematically safe and the players were on the beach. So if the two situations aren’t comparable, but to get a big loss/losses conceeding a lot of goals early season (GO has a few of those) when all is to play for us worse than taking a battering when the players had achieved their goal of keeping us up and really in their minds had nothing else to play for.

FYI mate, GO in less than 1/4 of the games has the same number of loses conceeding 3 or more than JL did in HALF a season…… that isn’t a good sign or even a sign that his reign so far can be deemed close to a success.

bigwolf

Reaction score
GON deserves credit for the last two games.

Just like half the mixers who told him to play three at the back weeks and weeks ago.

Let's hope we'll keep to ths system and build from here.

My view on GON has not changed in terms of him not having the requisite skills and experience to get the most out of the squad over a season but credit where credit is due.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON deserves credit for the last two games.

Just like half the mixers who told him to play three at the back weeks and weeks ago.

Let's hope we'll keep to ths system and build from here.

My view on GON has not changed in terms of him not having the requisite skills and experience to get the most out of the squad over a season but credit where credit is due.
Sums up how I feel perfectly, so tagging onto that as cannot say it as well as you have

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You had made your mind up on him, before a ball was kicked based on a video from some geek at Bournemouth......if it's not hate , it's pretty close...
I’m baffled as to why so many fans put their faith in a video by one Bournemouth fan. There’s plenty of wolves vloggers out there who talk out of what they sit on.

It was like the whole “he must be rubbish Bournemouth sacked him”. Completely disregarding the fact that he kept up a terrible Bournemouth team who are now much worse. You’d think after the debacle of Nuno going, we’d not hold much thought in what clubs boards do versus the quality of a coach

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m baffled as to why so many fans put their faith in a video by one Bournemouth fan. There’s plenty of wolves vloggers out there who talk out of what they sit on.

It was like the whole “he must be rubbish Bournemouth sacked him”. Completely disregarding the fact that he kept up a terrible Bournemouth team who are now much worse. You’d think after the debacle of Nuno going, we’d not hold much thought in what clubs boards do versus the quality of a coach
I was concerned myself with the appointment....thought with the summer we had and losing the experienced players we did, we needed an experienced coach.....so I can understand some of people concerns...

We was never going to be a squad who could go toe to toe with a lot of the decent teams in the league because we lacked a bit of quality on and off the pitch in reality..

People were right to want a back 5 and a more conservative approach as it would get us points ...so on that basis Gary O'Neil was an adequate appointment......he needed to get majority of the squad to fight and battle and hope a couple of players (Neto Hwang) over performed.....which is what he did at Bournemouth......with Solanke over performing...

With the fixtures we have had and the upheaval we had so close to the start of the season, Gary O'Neil deserves credit for getting us the points total we have....

We need to continue to dig in till January and get a couple in , one being a striker and we will be fine.....

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was concerned myself with the appointment....thought with the summer we had and losing the experienced players we did, we needed an experienced coach.....so I can understand some of people concerns...

We was never going to be a squad who could go toe to toe with a lot of the decent teams in the league because we lacked a bit of quality on and off the pitch in reality..

People were right to want a back 5 and a more conservative approach as it would get us points ...so on that basis Gary O'Neil was an adequate appointment......he needed to get majority of the squad to fight and battle and hope a couple of players (Neto Hwang) over performed.....which is what he did at Bournemouth......with Solanke over performing...

With the fixtures we have had and the upheaval we had so close to the start of the season, Gary O'Neil deserves credit for getting us the points total we have....

We need to continue to dig in till January and get a couple in , one being a striker and we will be fine.....
I was quite impressed with Sasa yesterday and with more composure could have had an assist and a goal. If we can get him fit I think our attacking play could get a lot better as he is a focal point but he also demonstrates yesterday he’s able to run the channels.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Sasa yesterday and with more composure could have had an assist and a goal. If we can get him fit I think our attacking play could get a lot better as he is a focal point but he also demonstrates yesterday he’s able to run the channels.
Yes and me......I'm hoping we get a bit out of bouba , Saza and bellegarde in the next run of games.....we will need it..

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting comments about Lemina's second yellow. "We had unnecessarily pressed, which put Lemina in a position he shouldn't have been in"

It actually came from a decent attacking position and Semedo trying to put Neto in, but the ball rebounding to Zaniolo. I suppose Lemina had maybe strayed a bit too far up the pitch, so was caught the wrong side of Zaniolo when the move broke down.

The comment shows where O'Neill's mindset when it comes to pressing is. Loads of people around me giving Sasa and Cunha some stick at times for not chasing balls into the corner, or pressing the centre backs more aggressively. But they'd clearly been instructed not to do that and to get back in position around the centre circle, similarly to what we did against City.

The only player that reacted to the crowd geers when not pressing was Fabio, which I don't see as a positive. Don't play to the crowd, play your role and do the job you've been told to do.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have no idea how the appointment of GON will go in the longer term. I wouldn't have chosen him, but to be honest I don't know who else we might have up our collective sleeve. But, thus far he is doing ok and I am delighted at what must be proud moment for him, and I sincerely hope he continues on track and puts together about 46points for the season. As a Villa fan pointed out, we were way better than Liverpool for 45minutes, we were robbed at Man Utd, unlucky to get nothing from Palace, we've just wrestled three points from Man City and one from Villa. If GON can improve the teams discipline, loads of silly bookings, >45points are ours. Not bad given all the circumstances!

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both games after we were mathematically safe and the players were on the beach. So if the two situations aren’t comparable, but to get a big loss/losses conceeding a lot of goals early season (GO has a few of those) when all is to play for us worse than taking a battering when the players had achieved their goal of keeping us up and really in their minds had nothing else to play for.

FYI mate, GO in less than 1/4 of the games has the same number of loses conceeding 3 or more than JL did in HALF a season…… that isn’t a good sign or even a sign that his reign so far can be deemed close to a success.
That is the problem, though, isn't it?

GON keeping us up on 38-40 points *IS* a success. Whereas JL had us on pace for what... an 8-10th place finish if you extrapolate the results over a full season?

JL had (arguably) a better squad of players to do it, but GON is benefitting from a few having settled in/returning to fitness... but football isn't an exact science is it?

The bigger problem is surely Fosun's view on the squad and what we're left with.

We're now shooting at finishing 15th each year i'm going to guess and that is the kind of 'success' we're going to have to hope for, unless we're sold.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're now shooting at finishing 15th each year i'm going to guess and that is the kind of 'success' we're going to have to hope for, unless we're sold.

I don't think this is the case. They are just being realistic about when to push and when to consolidate.

This season was always going to be big in terms of player turnover. Our FFP gap meant it was even bigger.

From all the comments made, such as Jeff saying we need to treat this season like we are a newly promoted team, this season is about survival, anything more is a bonus.

But every team who spends will encounter the same lean period as we did as some stage, especially with the new squad cost rules. We've gone through the pain at the right time and got it out the way. Stay up this season and we can really look to push on again, just as all the others start to encounter similar spending problems.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON V Lage

22/23 season start

1696850173774.png

23/24

Season start
1696850205257.png

However if you look at our start last year up to matchday 10

we were still on 6 points

1696850271299.png

If we get a win against bournemouth and even if we lost against newcastle we will be above the 1 ppg i think we need.

A win against bournemouth i feel takes us away from any relegation battle.

22/23

1696850357997.png

23/24

1696850396953.png

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting comments about Lemina's second yellow. "We had unnecessarily pressed, which put Lemina in a position he shouldn't have been in"

It actually came from a decent attacking position and Semedo trying to put Neto in, but the ball rebounding to Zaniolo. I suppose Lemina had maybe strayed a bit too far up the pitch, so was caught the wrong side of Zaniolo when the move broke down.

The comment shows where O'Neill's mindset when it comes to pressing is. Loads of people around me giving Sasa and Cunha some stick at times for not chasing balls into the corner, or pressing the centre backs more aggressively. But they'd clearly been instructed not to do that and to get back in position around the centre circle, similarly to what we did against City.

The only player that reacted to the crowd geers when not pressing was Fabio, which I don't see as a positive. Don't play to the crowd, play your role and do the job you've been told to do.

I noticed exaxctly the same.

I think it's probably come from the second half performances where we couldn't match the levels in the first half, due to 'over pressing'.

We seem quite content to sit off the opposition and make them play through us, which seems an effective tactic based on the last 2 games.

Still get people at the game getting frustrated with it though. 'Gerrin to 'em!'

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I don't think we were set up right to press at all yesterday. I said during the game and asked on here after, to me it seemed the front 3 sometimes tried to press, but every time they just played round them and then used the space behind Neto in particular. 3 men pressing with 7 sitting off isn't ever going to work against a reasonable team is it?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we were set up right to press at all yesterday. I said during the game and asked on here after, to me it seemed the front 3 sometimes tried to press, but every time they just played round them and then used the space behind Neto in particular. 3 men pressing with 7 sitting off isn't ever going to work against a reasonable team is it?
the press was backed up on several occasions with Gomes in particular winning balls played into midfield from the Villa centre backs.

what is different with this 3:4:3 formation is that we don’t have Neves dropping between the two centre backs and stepping on Dawson’s toes it means that we are further up the pitch and can press better. We sat back at the end of the match as we only really had Traore (who did very well) in midfield.

Tudorwolf

Reaction score
Gary O’Neil should still be sacked not good enough I’m afraid still don’t see what he brings to the team and is only 3points better off than Lange

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about
"We have gary ******* ******* **** ******* ***** o’neil as our manger and i hate the fact we have this idiotic moron"

or
"I hate shaun derry, I detest gary o'neil"

or
"GON is a scumbag".

All direct quotes from one poster on here.
Calling GON a moron or a scumbag or detesting him is not hating him?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said to IOM Wolf above who also said some posters used the word 'hate' aimed at GON, I don't believe you.
You can quibble over semantics but just read the pages on this thread before the City win. A small sample for you...

idiot
muppet
****er
scumbag
rat

And the absolute vilest of the lot, "worse than Saunders". That's a level of 'hate' I didn't know existed

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can quibble over semantics but just read the pages on this thread before the City win. A small sample for you...

idiot
muppet
****er
scumbag
rat

And the absolute vilest of the lot, "worse than Saunders". That's a level of 'hate' I didn't know existed
I'm not going to bother anymore you'll all be pleased to hear. It's like banging your head on a brick wall.

Back
Top Bottom