Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“PE teacher”, “clown” “get this fraud out of our club” “useless ****” “irritating gnat” “over hair gelled chav”.

Just some of the comments on here about a manager whose just taken 4 points with a limited squad off Pep and Emery.
Ok, but no one said they hate the guy. Don't try to inflame things and make stuff up.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Turned it round a bit and much easier to make subs in this formation without completely changing game

We are a wide player short really . Would rather Gonzalez gets a chance if he isn’t going to play Sarabia and play Silva left wing

That's our Downfall atm lack of options for wide areas. Quality goes down when the main two go off.

Hopefully bellgarde and enso can help out

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m starting to quietly be impressed by O’Neill. He’s learning what he can and can’t do with the squad he has and doesn’t seem afraid or too proud to change the way he’s asking them to play.

If you listened to WM pre match they talked about how he had devised the plan to beat Man City and spent the week training them in it. By the time of the match they were confident it would work, then as the match progressed and they saw it working they gained in confidence and belief to the point they knew they could win.

He’s also talked about how he isn’t happy with fitness levels. That tells me he is invested in continuous improvement.

He’s still learning himself of course and it won’t always be smooth sailing but I’m now of the opinion that he should be allowed the chance to prove himself with our support

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kept it simple which is key. Didn't really understand why lemina stayed on the pitch and that cost us but formation wise it's simple and works. It's basically defend defend defend give it to neto.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He kept the same team but there were tweaks from City. I’m sure they hadn’t anticipated Villa going to a 5 hence the iffy first 10 minutes but this time the team adapted and countered. As O’Neil said they made mistakes but was good enough to admit he made loads as a player and manager and he doesn’t mind if they’re following the plan - that’s a positive in that he’s not beasting players for mistakes if they’re made within or trying to fulfil the plan. To be honest as manager he can’t help RAN being barged into and laid out or the fact that players were failing with their passes on occasion.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I think Gary is doing okay, and he seems positive in his post match interviews.

I also think it could be useful to offer a translation for some of his more obscure words...

fret = threat
fought = thought
wever = whether
fing - thing
frough = through

etc, etc...

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Gary is doing okay, and he seems positive in his post match interviews.

I also think it could be useful to offer a translation for some of his more obscure words...

fret = threat
fought = thought
wever = whether
fing - thing
frough = through

etc, etc...

Only to pleased to help Bradstonian, I cant pronounce "th" either and pronounce it as a "F". bet he's left handed as well,
left handed folk usually have some speech problems, bet you didn't know that LOL.

Kennedy

Reaction score
I thoughtb the half time break was telling today.

Even first half really with neither team penetrating.

Against LFC, klippety klop outsmarted/.outsquaded GON

I feared the same today but TBF to GON, we held our own. I don't think we played to our best today but we still got a point against a top team.

Beat Bournemouth and I start believing in GON a little bit more..

Good point today.

loppers86

Reaction score
Got to give him credit for the last 2 performances and an excellent 4 points going into the international break. If we can follow up with a win away at Bournemouth then I'd really be starting to get on board with him.
i give him credit (along with the shop window effect). One great result, one ok one.

I still think he was a terrible appointment, 3-years was completely insane and I’m embarrassed that he’s our manager.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
i give him credit (along with the shop window effect). One great result, one ok one.

I still think he was a terrible appointment, 3-years was completely insane and I’m embarrassed that he’s our manager.
Why are you embarrassed that he’s our manager? He’s had a decent start considering he was only appointed 4 days before the start of the season & team look far more together than they have since Nuno.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Squad is a little thin

Boubakar was good today and offers a replacement and maybe Doyle too.

The issues are offensive for me

No options to replace neto or Hwang (not that you’d want to, but what if you need to). Gonzales is too young presumably, so I think priorities in window will be a number 9 and a number wide player.

One option is maybe Bellegarde out wide
He’s going to be a great option when back either to add a third body into midfield or play wide.

But still thin squad given the exits of podence Adama etc

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad is a little thin

No options to replace neto or Hwang (not that you’d want to, but what if you need to). Gonzales is too young presumably, so I think priorities in window will be a number 9 and a number wide player.

He’s going to be a great option when back either to add a third body into midfield or play wide.

Yeah good shout with Bellegarde. He actually played wide for Strasbourg so he can do it.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Team Vs Bournemouth for me would be (lemina and Semedo banned), assuming no injuries

Sa

Doherty Kilman Dawson toti RAN

Boubakar Gomes

Neto Cunha and Hwang

Bellegarde first sub in midfield if we need to move to 4 at back or out wide if stay 5 at back
Sasa more minutes as well

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad is a little thin

Clearly GON isn't a fan of Sarabia. I agree striker and a winger the priorities in January, but plenty of time for something to change on that front with one of our other forwards hitting a purple patch!

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
Why are you embarrassed that he’s our manager? He’s had a decent start considering he was only appointed 4 days before the start of the season & team look far more together than they have since Nuno.
I’ve been critical of GON’s appointment although I cant see that JL has us on many, if any more points than we have now.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He is doing a job that is acceptable so far. Not good not bad. Has done some good things has done some bad things. I need that Gattuso gif.
He recognised the 5 was needed and Man city tactics were absolutely spot on. However we were v poor against Luton and there has been some very poor bits of games.
Feels like these next away games are crucial. Bournemouth, Sheff Utd and Fulham. We have a better team than those and we should be expecting to finish above those teams. We need to show it. Then lets see where we are.
He was given very tough circumstances when he joined and steadying a ship is important. Par score so far. Lets see if he is the right man long term.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank God he has fully fit Neto at his disposal
This is so true. It doesn't matter who our manager is without Neto this team is bang average. Neto plays more and more like Jota in his prime but Jota had Traore, Jimenez, Neves, Moutinho and better defenders behind him. I think we are in big trouble if Neto gets injured anytime soon. Is he in the Portugal squad?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m starting to quietly be impressed by O’Neill. He’s learning what he can and can’t do with the squad he has and doesn’t seem afraid or too proud to change the way he’s asking them to play.

If you listened to WM pre match they talked about how he had devised the plan to beat Man City and spent the week training them in it. By the time of the match they were confident it would work, then as the match progressed and they saw it working they gained in confidence and belief to the point they knew they could win.

He’s also talked about how he isn’t happy with fitness levels. That tells me he is invested in continuous improvement.

He’s still learning himself of course and it won’t always be smooth sailing but I’m now of the opinion that he should be allowed the chance to prove himself with our support

Am beginning to think he's the kind of manager who can get the best with a limited squad. And that's not intended in a negative way. It worked for Bournemouth last season and after a wobble or two, it seems to be settling in for us, too.

From what he says, he works really hard on trying to find ways to give the team an edge over the opponents. Work on our limitations first, and use that as the base. It may work out well for us, because as is often said, there isn't much between 8th and 18th in this league. It can come down to small details on the day and that may be his strength. Probably not going to see a repeat of the Man U performance soon, but as we lost that one it doesn't concern me. The whole team have looked far more comfortable staying organised and letting Neto and Hwang do the forward work these past 2 matches.

We've put in good, complete 90 minute performances in both the past 2 matches, too. (well, 115 minutes today!) - which is something we've struggled with for years. Even in matches we've won, would often have a patch of 10 - 20 minutes where we lost the plot.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is so true. It doesn't matter who our manager is without Neto this team is bang average. Neto plays more and more like Jota in his prime but Jota had Traore, Jimenez, Neves, Moutinho and better defenders behind him. I think we are in big trouble if Neto gets injured anytime soon. Is he in the Portugal squad?

I think the "bang average" is about right. As just said above, I'm beginning to think O'Neil is good at getting the best out of bang average players. Not to be diminished in this league when half the teams are much of a muchness, all with several decent players , one or two stars and not much behind that if there's injuries/suspensions.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well say 'inflammatory' if that's what you mean. Don't use the word 'hate' when describing posters' views on here about GON.
When did I use the word hate? You may be getting me confused with someone else.
You posted the words inflammatory and hate, I replied that you're a good one to talk.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who the **** criticises a manager because he didn't take a player off on a yellow?

Can hear a horrible scraping of a barrel
Agreed.
In terms of chancing it, nothing will ever compare with JL once bringing on all our subs with 20 minutes still to go. The look on his face when one of our players got crocked five minutes later was priceless.

Back
Top Bottom