Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it was free flowing and enchanting stuff under Lopetegui wasn't it.

O'Neill kept a team up comfortably which every single football fan in the country said were relegation certainties. Would he have done that by trying to outplay the likes of Liverpool and Spurs who they beat? The whole thing is a circus, but he's not the villain here, and deserves a chance. He's got something to prove, that may just work in our favor.
I don't know if you've saw but quite a few Bournemouth fans have said the team wasn't as bad as the media/Scott Parker made out, and staying up was minimum.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People voting “Yes” have made up 1% in the last 5 hours.. at this rate, it could be even by the time we sack him.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's absolute insanity. Nothing less.

A cheap appointment. The cheapest.

Someone who is so pleased to get the job, he won't rock the boat, the proverbial yes man.

Someone who knows he'll be out by Christmas but he'll get some money out of it.

And as many have said, no manager has ever succeeded when 95% of fans don't want him, yet alone from the start.

The fixture list will mean we are bottom again by November. And that's madness considering Luton and Sheff Utd are gonna be two of the worst teams ever to grace league.

Jeff has well and truly ****ed us. For years.

I am fuming. And sad.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know if you've saw but quite a few Bournemouth fans have said the team wasn't as bad as the media/Scott Parker made out, and staying up was minimum.

I didn't think they were that bad either, but I did think it was a particularly strong year in comparison to the 2021/22 one, which would take them down by default.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
On the plus side he's got to over 6%. Proud of you boys and girls and your faith, hope you're right.

Andi130

Reaction score
As a representaive sample, we're at 93.5% of fans against the appointment of GON. I can honestly say that I don't think I've seen a level of disdain in any survey of fans for a managerial appointment. I just hope those bloody dead heads running the show(Shi and Hobbs, I mean you) have had a look at this and are asking themselves if they have really thought this one through!

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a representaive sample, we're at 93.5% of fans against the appointment of GON. I can honestly say that I don't think I've seen a level of disdain in any survey of fans for a managerial appointment. I just hope those bloody dead heads running the show(Shi and Hobbs, I mean you) have had a look at this and are asking themselves if they're really thougt this one through!
I think only 91.7 % thought rain came from the sky, so that is some achievement.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is he clearly a competent coach, because he was the guy the Bournemouth team liked because he literally wasn't Scott Parker?

Imagine walking into our dressing room and he's what the players see, he has no respect, he has no reason to be respected, the guy has done nothing at all.

They had months to get this sorted and this is what they give us.

A guy who was rejected for most championship jobs last month.

Fosun out.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing that really upsets me is that I actually see a lot of quality in this squad.. and it’s quality that no one outside of Wolves (unless working in the game) are that aware of. I was really hoping we were going to surprise a lot of people this season.

I’ve lost all that belief now.. not solely because of Julen leaving, but this likely appointment has really shown the depths of our ambition.

If we stay up this year.. O’Neil will have “performed miracles” in most people’s eyes.. I felt we should be aiming higher than just survival.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing that really upsets me is that I actually see a lot of quality in this squad.. and it’s quality that no one outside of Wolves (unless working in the game) are that aware of. I was really hoping we were going to surprise a lot of people this season.

I’ve lost all that belief now.. not solely because of Julen leaving, but this likely appointment has really shown the depths of our ambition.

If we stay up this year.. O’Neil will have “performed miracles” in most people’s eyes.. I felt we should be aiming higher than just survival.

Unfortunately we have no depth.
One injury / suspension in key positions and we're playing the kids.

Fosun have us in a state of managed decline.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lop told them immediately after the Celtic game he was going, that was 29th July.
Strong rumours yesterday mean the whole replacement process took 8-9 days.
I'd love to know who put the short list together.
Would jeff really have any clue who should be on that?
If not him, presumably Hobbs. (Does O'Neil play golf?)
You would have to assume serious talks started well before that.
And why would O'Neil be such a muppet as to disclose the whole thing to a reporter?
or was that Wolves just sowing the seeds?

Sedgleywolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Why must we get behind him? What's he done to deserve that sense of reward/loyalty? Why must we continue to put up with the absolute shower going on behind the scenes? Support the players, yes. Endorse a poor managerial appointment, and the people who made the decision!? We've done that previously and look at where we continue to end up. This carp can't carry on, and we can't persist with false loyalties, hope and blind faith. We're not a tin pot club, but we're being made to resemble
Why must we get behind him? What's he done to deserve that sense of reward/loyalty? Why must we continue to put up with the absolute shower going on behind the scenes? Support the players, yes. Endorse a poor managerial appointment, and the people who made the decision!? We've done that previously and look at where we continue to end up. This carp can't carry on, and we can't persist with false loyalties, hope and blind faith. We're not a tin pot club, but we're being made to resemble one.
Agree he’s record is nothing special but he isn’t going to turn this opportunity down.the people to show frustration/anger against are the people behind the scenes who appointed him.they wanted lopetegui from the start when they finally get him he lasts 9months because of differences off field.hopefully no more players jump ship (not holding my breath) because I can’t see the board replacing them

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, so accepting this **** show is not just a bad dream, time to look at our new coach…

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
How has it all come to this? Consecutive 7th place finishes, FA cup semi final, euro quarter final, knowing we'd give anyone a game home or away and now we're on the verge of appointing Gary O'neil 6 days before the season kicks off, with no significant incomings.

The last 6 years have been an emotional rollercoaster with some great matches and memories and all of the effort of those previous 6 years could just be wasted by some awful decisions, mainly poor managerial appointments. The most important person at a football club is the manager and Fosun appear to have got lucky with Nuno, messed their initial intended target about and spectacularly messed up the other appointments. We've gone from an international manager, Europa League winner and Champions League Manager to Gary O'neil who was deemed not good enough for Bournemouth. I have no words or any faith in Gary O'neil proving me wrong. There's also been a significant increase in match day prices to watch one of the worst attacking teams in the division, which initially had the aformentioned manager which provided a bit of hope, but they're now going to be replaced by O'neil. But at least we've got a phone charger and beanie hat!

What a shambles.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How has it all come to this? Consecutive 7th place finishes, FA cup semi final, euro quarter final, knowing we'd give anyone a game home or away and now we're on the verge of appointing Gary O'neil 6 days before the season kicks off, with no significant incomings.

The last 6 years have been an emotional rollercoaster with some great matches and memories and all of the effort of those previous 6 years could just be wasted by some awful decisions, mainly poor managerial appointments. The most important person at a football club is the manager and Fosun appear to have got lucky with Nuno, messed their initial intended target about and spectacularly messed up the other appointments. We've gone from an international manager, Europa League winner and Champions League Manager to Gary O'neil who was deemed not good enough for Bournemouth. I have no words or any faith in Gary O'neil proving me wrong. There's also been a significant increase in match day prices to watch one of the worst attacking teams in the division, which initially had the aformentioned manager which provided a bit of hope, but they're now going to be replaced by O'neil. But at least we've got a phone charger and beanie hat!

What a shambles.
"Premium product", pal! ;)

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
46 posters have said yes

To pick one at random (genuinely not digging you out mate) but @cannockwolves you are one of those

Why yes? And please, this isn't a pick on you kind of thing. I want to be convinced that this isn't going to be nothing but a complete disaster. I want to feel positive about it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What a shambles.
Phone charger my rear end. It's a bloody cable not the expensive bit! Cheap and crappy like everything about our club now.

Chode

Reaction score
If he plays Silva up front alongside Cunha, I might change my vote.

We‘ve got super Gary O’Neil…

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
I like Gary O' Neill. From what little I know about him, he seems like a good guy and I hope he enjoys lots of success with us.

Unfortunately, I think it will be a minor miracle if that turns out to be the case.
There is definitely not enough evidence that he is capable of that success for Fosun to thrust him into this position at this stage of his career.

I think Jeff has completely lost his mind to be honest.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for the players right now. I know they're all earning tens of thousands every week, but they've all been in great spirits this preseason and this seems to be as much of a shock to them as anyone. What was the point of Julen instilling his methods to bugger off a week before the season starts? This talented group of players are now going to be coached by Gary O'Neil, from a high pressing, possession-based style of play to an 11 men behind the ball, minimal possession, counter attacking style of play. I'd be absolutely devastated.

"I'm sure they'll get over it" but will they? Backs against the wall mentality might have worked with Bournemouth, just about, but it's not going to sit well with our fans after the turgid football of the last two years.

Kilman reportedly turned down a move to Napoli, and if I'm Nunes I'm on the bell to Mendes immediately after being sold a dream.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
46 posters have said yes

To pick one at random (genuinely not digging you out mate) but @cannockwolves you are one of those

Why yes? And please, this isn't a pick on you kind of thing. I want to be convinced that this isn't going to be nothing but a complete disaster. I want to feel positive about it.
Why would you check the individual names of people who voted yes? Weird.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People have to consider how deeply we commited to Lopetegui. We won't be just looking for a Head Coach, a whole new coaching team needed 6 days out from the first game.
Shocking that neither sjde could be adults ffs. Shocking that FOSUN really lost control of this situation.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
46 posters have said yes

I am not over joyed by the fact that JL has gone. He is a elite coach with a good backroom team, so there is no sugar coating it its a big loss. But I do have a bit of sympathy with the club. JL has been a bit of a **** if you ask me. He has a really good set of players, and yes we could do with a few more but we have potentially some excellent players that he appeared to be getting a tune out of.

I don't like all the hate put on Jeff or Fosun. They have spent a fortune writing off the best part of £130m so I don't think it is unreasonable to want to balance the books, we have had the best run in the top division for decades. They have made mistakes but over the last five years of their ownership if you do a premier league table we are 9th - I think that is a terrific achievement saying they inherited a mid table Championship team.

I think JL has probably got something lined up closer to home. There has to be more to this than meets the eye. I know everyone is blaming the club but I don't understand why given the current squad and his fantastic wages he feels the need to jack it in - he could come out and say its going to be tough to try and maintain his reputation but I just think its poor the way he has behaved.

So why say I am happy with O'Neil?

Happy might be too stronger word, but Jonny Philips said he is a more impressive person than anyone realises. He ex team mates say is an absolute machine/workaholic. He has kept a team in the prem, and more to the point this will probably be the last chance he will ever get at being a premier league manager if he messes it up.

This guy is going to be super motivated, wants to be here, and has a solid football education over a 20 year career. He has played in the premier league for over 200 games and has worked with some outstanding managers - I mentioned this on another post and people just take the ****. But Harry Redknapp, Sam Allardyce, and Southgate have been top managers over the years, O'Neil also worked at Liverpool as part of their academy set-up so will have seen Klopp at first hand - all this experience has to count for something.

So, I am not happy as such. The bloke has a huge challenge to win over the fans (which with our fixtures is almost impossible) and some of our foreign players may also need winning over. So, its a **** show for sure.

But the next big thing has to come from somewhere, why not O'Neil?

If the club have decided after the interviews he is the best option then we need to get behind him and the team. I don't think he will be as bad as people think. He needs a dozen games before we can start to judge.

I just think its ridiculous the over reaction to his supposed appointment. It is a come down from the ex-Real Madrid manager, but if he is being a **** then I want someone who wants to be here.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Curious. What are the odds that O'Neil sticks with what the boys have been working on all pre-season? Will the high-pressing (and the way they press as a team) remain? How about the use of inside forwards? Would Gary have studied the film and impressed the board with how he was going to continue the high-pressing and more energetic offensive style that we've seen in the pre-season?

Seems like there is little time to completely chuck things out and start over...

Back
Top Bottom