Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neill will probably surprise on the upside. Just like he did with Bournemouth.
Half of the opposition to him is that he's not a "name". Well, plenty of names fail, or jump ship.
Also, there's anti Bournemouth snobbery - a bit like the Scott situation.
Let's get behind him.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Possible scenario?...

If talks have been going on since Celtic game, and based on the Doc interview saying "stuff going on behind the scenes", and the formation of the senior group of six players, that Hobbs and Shi, talked to the players about new managers, so hopefully, we not going have mass exodus, by end of Saudi transfer window?

Maybe a straw clutch, but looking for light to come out of the darkness.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was there a poll for when Nuno was coming and if so, did it make any difference?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to the spin in the local media with lines from Keen and Judah like this:
- "There's a real freshness in the squad with O'Neills arrival "
- °Players have really taken to him"
- "Mood is a lot better now the insecurity over Lopeteguis future is gone"
- "O'Neills attention to detail has impressed"
- "O'Neiil is working very hard.."

R1ch

Reaction score
Surely after all this crap the last few years they owe us better than Gary O'Neil. Come on Jeff I know you read this don't put us through this you can't hate us that much.

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
I hardly watched Bournemouth last season, I know little about Gary o'neil but what he did there was impressive. I have seen a lot of managers come and go and these sort of appointments usually end quickly. I hope I am wrong but this just looks like a mistake we will probably revisit around November time.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possible scenario?...

If talks have been going on since Celtic game, and based on the Doc interview saying "stuff going on behind the scenes", and the formation of the senior group of six players, that Hobbs and Shi, talked to the players about new managers, so hopefully, we not going have mass exodus, by end of Saudi transfer window?

Maybe a straw clutch, but looking for light to come out of the darkness.

That would make sense as I'm sure when I read Bentleys interview, he said the club asked them to do it (will need to re-read) and it didn't sound like Lopetegui had set this up. Could maybe be why Kilman hasn't been announced as captain?

Either that or they won't confirm he's captain as he could be sold.

Rugrats

Reaction score
O’Neil will be cheap, as with players we will be grubbing around in the O’Neil standard pool of managers. We simply can’t afford an accomplished manager so we’ve got to go down the hope to get lucky route. I expect McCarthy is dusting off his CV.

Ironically any few quid we did have spare will now be paid to a guy who now no longer works for us that left because there was no money left. He’s shafted the next manager before he’s started!

As sure as eggs are eggs it’s going to be a few troubled years ahead, the glory days of Nuno are well and truly behind us! What a disastrous sacking that’s proving to be!

Johnny5

Reaction score
As has been stated many many many many times today, it was a total statistical anomaly that Bournemouth stayed up, to the point it defied all logic.

By every measurable stat they should have gone down, hence why he was sacked. By Bournemouth.
What question did I ask lol? From my own eyes and I say this while absolutely not happy with situation, Bournemouth improved a hell of a lot under O’Neil.
I didn’t look at stats just MOTD and the odd game
And no Lage would not have kept them up

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What question did I ask lol? From my own eyes and I say this while absolutely not happy with situation, Bournemouth improved a hell of a lot under O’Neil.
I didn’t look at stats just MOTD and the odd game
And no Lage would not have kept them up
So you didn't watch the games but can tell us from your own eyes they improved?

You can see how daft that reads?

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So whos making up his backroom team, guessing he will bring the team he worked with at Bournemouth?

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So whos making up his backroom team, guessing he will bring the team he worked with at Bournemouth?
I cant see them springjng for backroom staff as well. He'll have to do the lot. Bet Jeff hasnt told him that

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anybody voting yes needs a ban!!! Or at the very least needs to be sectioned.
Sectioned? As in Mental Health? Or as Blackadder would have it, hung, drawn and 'quartered'?
Gallows humour I know, but on such a day as this, what else?

• Haha
Reactions: Ned

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
The thought of us appointing O'Neil scares the life out of me.
As the second half of last season wore on I always used Bournemouth as a comparison against all other opposition we faced because they were easily the worst team I saw at Molineux last season. How they actually won that day is still quite unbelievable because we absolutely battered them despite not being great ourselves.
If we do appoint him I fear it will be a mistake with the magnitude of when we replaced McCarthy with Connor.
Heaven help us.

stevev53

Reaction score
I am not over joyed by the fact that JL has gone. He is a elite coach with a good backroom team, so there is no sugar coating it its a big loss. But I do have a bit of sympathy with the club. JL has been a bit of a **** if you ask me. He has a really good set of players, and yes we could do with a few more but we have potentially some excellent players that he appeared to be getting a tune out of.

I don't like all the hate put on Jeff or Fosun. They have spent a fortune writing off the best part of £130m so I don't think it is unreasonable to want to balance the books, we have had the best run in the top division for decades. They have made mistakes but over the last five years of their ownership if you do a premier league table we are 9th - I think that is a terrific achievement saying they inherited a mid table Championship team.

I think JL has probably got something lined up closer to home. There has to be more to this than meets the eye. I know everyone is blaming the club but I don't understand why given the current squad and his fantastic wages he feels the need to jack it in - he could come out and say its going to be tough to try and maintain his reputation but I just think its poor the way he has behaved.

So why say I am happy with O'Neil?

Happy might be too stronger word, but Jonny Philips said he is a more impressive person than anyone realises. He ex team mates say is an absolute machine/workaholic. He has kept a team in the prem, and more to the point this will probably be the last chance he will ever get at being a premier league manager if he messes it up.

This guy is going to be super motivated, wants to be here, and has a solid football education over a 20 year career. He has played in the premier league for over 200 games and has worked with some outstanding managers - I mentioned this on another post and people just take the ****. But Harry Redknapp, Sam Allardyce, and Southgate have been top managers over the years, O'Neil also worked at Liverpool as part of their academy set-up so will have seen Klopp at first hand - all this experience has to count for something.

So, I am not happy as such. The bloke has a huge challenge to win over the fans (which with our fixtures is almost impossible) and some of our foreign players may also need winning over. So, its a **** show for sure.

But the next big thing has to come from somewhere, why not O'Neil?

If the club have decided after the interviews he is the best option then we need to get behind him and the team. I don't think he will be as bad as people think. He needs a dozen games before we can start to judge.

I just think its ridiculous the over reaction to his supposed appointment. It is a come down from the ex-Real Madrid manager, but if he is being a **** then I want someone who wants to be here.
At last a sensible post . It is what it is and all these experts we have on here telling us how bad his style of play is didn’t see many matches at Molineux last season when we were doing exactly the same thing as him fighting against relegation . Give the bloke a chance ffs

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the second half of last season wore on I always used Bournemouth as a comparison against all other opposition we faced because they were easily the worst team I saw at Molineux last season. How they actually won that day is still quite unbelievable because we absolutely battered them despite not being great ourselves.
If we do appoint him I fear it will be a mistake with the magnitude of when we replaced McCarthy with Connor.
Heaven help us.
Im sure Shi has done his due diligence as he always does

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Curious. What are the odds that O'Neil sticks with what the boys have been working on all pre-season? Will the high-pressing (and the way they press as a team) remain? How about the use of inside forwards? Would Gary have studied the film and impressed the board with how he was going to continue the high-pressing and more energetic offensive style that we've seen in the pre-season?

Seems like there is little time to completely chuck things out and start over...
If he sticks with it he’ll have a decent chance of winning the crowd over. If he plays the negative turgid rubbish Bournemouth played he’s had it.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An embarrassing appointment that showcases exactly all you need to know about our 'ambition' at the moment. They put the prices up for this. We will be paying more to watch Gary O'Neil (and whatever backroom staff they can rustle up) football than Julen Lopetegui football.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heaven help us.
Was easily the worst game of the season at Molineux I cannot for the life of me understand how they think he’s the right man for the job.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was there a poll for when Nuno was coming and if so, did it make any difference?
Nuno had achieved quite a bit in his career and we were languishing in the championship after enduring Paul Lambert. Some fans may have said 'who?' but I don't think there was a groundswell of opposition to him.

Gary O'Neil has achieved very little, other than a surprisingly resolute season with an admittedly poor side. I've never seen this level of opposition for a new manager - even Graham Taylor.

The good news to all this is I've lost interest completely now. If they appoint him, which it looks like they're going to, I can only assume they're deliberately trying to relegate us out of spite and I ain't getting emotionally attached to that. Vote with your feet and do something else - I didn't bother getting the Brighton tickets that were in my basket and probably won't go again until Fosun are gone now.

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
93% of the poll don’t want GON.

Can I ask anyone of the 7%, why they think GON would be a good choice? Because I can’t think of one valid point!

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt that as they are all still at Bournemouth....
So we will have Steve Davis doing backroom duties as well as youth team, Bully coming in to do shooting practice, at least we have a new GK coach!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
93% of the poll don’t want GON.

Can I ask anyone of the 7%, why they think GON would be a good choice? Because I can’t think of one valid point!
I wonder how many of the 7% will be happy to pay our ticket prices to watch his ’style’ of football?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
That would make sense as I'm sure when I read Bentleys interview, he said the club asked them to do it (will need to re-read) and it didn't sound like Lopetegui had set this up. Could maybe be why Kilman hasn't been announced as captain?

Either that or they won't confirm he's captain as he could be sold.
The head coach will decide the captain that why it’s not been announced

Back
Top Bottom