Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness no, he's be a good appointment for a championship club. It's very unfair on him having to come in to this situation but he has made that choice. In fact, it'd be tough for any manager let alone one with very little experience.

Can't be worse than lage, can he?
Unfair? I bet can't believe his luck to be given this opportunity which is way beyond what his CV should enable him to get..
He's even lucky ebough to have had a top class coach prepare them for the season. If he's smart he just tells them to keep on doing what Lopetegui had drilled into them in preseason and we might have chance...

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only positive I can think off is he won't be running to Balague every time something doesn't go his way.

I don't think O'Neil will be a success, it wouldn't surprise me if we've got Aladyce in by December, I do hope he gets support from the fans I can't blame him for applying.

Absolutely nobody the head coach or the board come out of this looking good,

On Lopeteguis side Balague was touting his mate to Tottenham earlier in the summer (no doubt this came from Lopetegui) so as much as things may have changed I think Lopetegui was looking elsewhere before summer plans were revealed to him. He should have packed in then if he wanted to go

The board have really let themselves down and are in serious danger of losing a lot of money if we are relegated, I don't think O'Neil is the right man but how I hope I'm wrong.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness no, he's be a good appointment for a championship club. It's very unfair on him having to come in to this situation but he has made that choice. In fact, it'd be tough for any manager let alone one with very little experience.

Can't be worse than lage, can he?
He’s far worse than Lage.

How are people underplaying how bad an appointment this is?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only positive I can think off is he won't be running to Balague every time something doesn't go his way.

I don't think O'Neil will be a success, it wouldn't surprise me if we've got Aladyce in by December, I do hope he gets support from the fans I can't blame him for applying.

Absolutely nobody the head coach or the board come out of this looking good,

On Lopeteguis side Balague was touting his mate to Tottenham earlier in the summer (no doubt this came from Lopetegui) so as much as things may have changed I think Lopetegui was looking elsewhere before summer plans were revealed to him. He should have packed in then if he wanted to go

The board have really let themselves down and are in serious danger of losing a lot of money if we are relegated, I don't think O'Neil is the right man but how I hope I'm wrong.
If you don't think O'Neil will be a success then surely these **** wits need ****ing off

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun, if you do read the forum like you and others on here claim.

To press on with this bloke after seeing how over 90% of the fan base aren’t happy shows that they are totally ignorant *******s who only want to see positive news.

Also shows they know **** all about football!!!

How do you push to get a super car level manager, he saves the day, then we **** it so badly we replace him with a clapped out motor……

Jokers!!!!

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
If true, a disaster waiting to happen. The levels of stupity involved are astronomical. There will be no backing from the crowd, fans on socials, honestly I can't see the players being overly impressed either. Why would you think employing a manger who plays a completely different style is a good idea and has zero experience, or from what it seems a solid back room team.

If you're going to replace a popular manager (albeit a charlatan) you need to have someone the fans can at least have something they can get behind. This seems doomed before it starts. If this is Hobbs best option I have no faith whatsoever in his ability.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s far worse than Lage.

How are people underplaying how bad an appointment this is?
He has very little track record to go on. I've been very clear when I stand on this appointment - it's madness - but we don't really have any idea what he'll do or who his management team will be.

Lose the first two games and the atmosphere is going to be horrendous.

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
Jeff is responsible for all of this from Zenga, Lambert, Lage and now O'Neil another yes man doing as he is told until he gets the boot.

Jeff has also managed us into the financial mess we are in.....

Jeff has to go! Did I really see he gave himself a 53% pay rise recently too? That is why we can't afford Alex Scott....

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If true, a disaster waiting to happen. The levels of stupity involved are astronomical. There will be no backing from the crowd, fans on socials, honestly I can't see the players being overly impressed either. Why would you think employing a manger who plays a completely different style is a good idea and has zero experience, or from what it seems a solid back room team.

If you're going to replace a popular manager (albeit a charlatan) you need to have someone the fans can at least have something they can get behind. This seems doomed before it starts. If this is Hobbs best option I have no faith whatsoever in his ability.

You need someone for the fans to get behind. If we were going lopetegui from O'Neil the fabs would get together like they did when Lage left.

Seems like we are downgrading our manager and also our team with the lack of signings and sales .

Typical Wolves useless ****s

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is it too late to take your advice and go for Kompany?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff shi the ****ing coward didn’t have the grace to **** us from being in the country…..

Hiding in China….. hope the **** is given the reception he deserves at the first home game.

But he won’t turn up, so we support the lads, they didn’t cause this….. but we give Jeff hell from the stands that will be heard all over the globe on the tv coverage in China and the USA.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does Gary like to play?
Difficult to say.. he’s only had 9 months with a Championship team. But based on that it’s back to the walls and hope to grab a goal on the counter with the big lad making a late run into the box.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on stats, 10 men parked in their own half, terrible passing accuracy and create on average 4-6 shots a game.

It is boring, turgid and lacking any imagination.

Putting it politely
They were hideous to watch the few games I did.. at least Forest tried to play.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil has got Yes man written all over him.

This has all been a very long time coming, but Jeff has finally managed to back us into a very dire corner. I'm convinced he completely fluked things with Nuno, because pretty much everything before and after him has been pretty dismal.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
I think I overstated it with "ultra negative defensive football" as that suggests a coherent plan a la Mourinho, rather than the cobbled together hope that underpins O'Neil's "tactical" "philosophy"

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, JLo was going, we all knew this (really) what really ****ing sucks is that GON is going to get the job. On a caretaker basis, I could live with as we’ve lost Roberts? And the whole back room staff now. But, as a long-term plan?

Jesus wept.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hearing it was a three hour interview!!!

THREE HOURS!!!! No interview should ever last that long.

that shows they know nothing about football, as how can you interview a guy with 7 months of managerial experience for that long shows they don’t know what they are doing…….

The bloke is a total novice, he can’t have that much experience or evidence to answer questions for an interview to last that long.

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
It was 3 hours because they had to start with the basics to get Jeff Shi up to speed.

"This is a football, you get the players to kick it"

"This is a goal, that's where you want the players to kick the ball"

And so on and so forth

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why didn’t we keep Moutinho he’d be perfect

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an utter shambles of a club.

It's beyond embarrassing. It's beyond a laughing stock.

Spend years trying to get JL in, and manage to make him walk a week before the first game of the season, and get some bargain nobody who should be nowhere near a club like Wolves in.

Meanwhile Brighton immediately knew who they wanted when Potter left.

Shi has to go for this incompetence.

colincameron

Reaction score
A non-exhaustive list of available managers:
  • Category A: Not a chance.
    • Antonio Conte, Julian Nagelsmann, Zinedine Zidane
  • Category B: Interested but will want funds.
    • Graham Potter, Patrick Vieira, Christophe Galtier, Joachim Low, Andre Villas-Boas, Marcelo Bielsa
  • Category C: Interested, but we should be aiming higher.
    • OG Solskjaer, Gary O'Neil, Ralph Hassenhuttl, Jesse Marsch, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Lucien Favre, Chris Wilder, Rafa Benitez
  • Category D: Steer well clear.
    • Frank Lampard, Dean Smith, Sam Allardyce, Javi Gracia, Nathan Jones, Gennaro Gattuso, Scott Parker, Carlos Carvalhal, Alex McLeish, Vitor Pereira, Claude Puel, Steve Bruce

Realistically, we are probably shopping in Category C, and trying to avoid Category D as much as possible.
Lol Alex McLeish is so random he hasn't managed in England for 10 years or at all for 4 years.. I think he's probably retired.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't last long.

First two games are a nightmare. Massive pressure on Everton away, which is tough, and we always struggle against Dyche.

Palace (A) and Liverpool (H) is not going to bring much. Bear in mind, the atmosphere is going to be getting worse as this happens.

I reckon Luton (A), the sixth game of the season, will be the decisive one. Win and he might get more time. A loss there and I reckon we have a new foreign coach in by Villa at home.

Genuinely. They don't realise what they've done. The place will be horrible unless he gets off to a good start, and, in fairness, it's actually hard to get off to a good start with those fixtures.

If we're bottom after losing to Luton, he's not going to be here.

Good luck Gaz, you'll need it.

They don't have a clue. They've not faced a toxic Molineux before.

God help Shi/FOSUN come that first game.

Andi130

Reaction score
I said it on an earlier post, but I reckon he's got 6 games max. He needs a min of 7 points from those games. Otherwise, the majority of fans(who he's already lost...Well, have never supported him) will turn quickly. We put up with carp appointments in the past, but I can't see the majority rolling over this time around. The levels of resentment are just too high across the board and there will be no buffer. Just hope the club are ready for the fallout.

Back
Top Bottom