Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun in? Jeff & Sellars Out?

What do we do?

• Fosun Out

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • Fosun in - Shi & Sellars Out

Votes: 110 41.8%
  • Fosun In - Everything will be alright

Votes: 90 34.2%
  • Let’s tear this place apart!!!!

Votes: 21 8.0%

• Total voters

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said it in the last ask wolves I believe that he has been told money is available it he hasn’t accepted the offer and asked for it.
I went back and watched this year's Ask Wolves and Jeff's bit from last year. I still couldn't pin down any statements that came close to this. It does seem that people are convinced he did though, so maybe I still missed it. Perhaps in the round table discussion at the end of last year, which I didn't re-view? Having watched two years of these interviews over again it is really difficult to see what he said in either that has caused so much hostility. Unless you are really offended by the emphasis on the e-sports stuff this year, I guess?
I think any neutral would see him as putting forward a sensible approach to managing a club in a system that is rigged in the favour of the "top six". In last year's he was particularly honest in saying that he had not initially appreciated the difficulty of competing within that system and qualifying what he thought was the limit of our short / mid term ambitions. I'd guess most fans outside those of the top six would be pretty happy hearing this kind of thing from their club's CEO.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went back and watched this year's Ask Wolves and Jeff's bit from last year. I still couldn't pin down any statements that came close to this. It does seem that people are convinced he did though, so maybe I still missed it. Perhaps in the round table discussion at the end of last year, which I didn't re-view? Having watched two years of these interviews over again it is really difficult to see what he said in either that has caused so much hostility. Unless you are really offended by the emphasis on the e-sports stuff this year, I guess?
I think any neutral would see him as putting forward a sensible approach to managing a club in a system that is rigged in the favour of the "top six". In last year's he was particularly honest in saying that he had not initially appreciated the difficulty of competing within that system and qualifying what he thought was the limit of our short / mid term ambitions. I'd guess most fans outside those of the top six would be pretty happy hearing this kind of thing from their club's CEO.
I am not offended by esports in the slightest, in fact in many posts I have praised this…… I have even said I am suprised they don’t do DOTA or league of legends as there is major money to be won in that.

I might be too old for the demographic of enjoying and getting money out of me to enjoy e-sports, but it is a growing market with piles of cash to be made, so if done right I am very much on board with it. I appreciate that it is a cool thing and with the right games and players, i see the point of this one as I do think wider fosun will do very marketing this and making it a viable and money making brand in a few years.

My recollection is that he said something (and I am really paraphrasing here) along the lines of there is money available if he asks for it, that isn’t a direct quote, but he did say he could ask for money but their would be risks attached unless my mind has completely failed me.

The thing I do see as the total waste of the clubs money is the record label…..

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having watched two years of these interviews over again it is really difficult to see what he said in either that has caused so much hostility. Unless you are really offended by the emphasis on the e-sports stuff this year, I guess?

I think a lot of people are offended by the esports, and by foreign fans being "increasingly important".

And a small but not completely insignificant number are offended by him saying "legacy fans". Weirdly, he didn't actually say that, but what started as a joke stemming from the ESL seems to have caught on.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are offended by the esports, and by foreign fans being "increasingly important".

And a small but not completely insignificant number are offended by him saying "legacy fans". Weirdly, he didn't actually say that, but what started as a joke stemming from the ESL seems to have caught on.
Yes, can confirm no mention of "legacy fans" in either interview.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, can confirm no mention of "legacy fans" in either interview.

I know, that started as a riff on the European Super League, but got repeated so much, some people believe it!

The closest he said was that fans around the world are "increasingly important". Not that local fans are worth any less than before, but hey, that's the modern world of snowflake football fans, looking to get offended at anything.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever one might think about Trincao and Marcal, you've just described two players with 48 appearances between them last season (and Marcal would've had more if he weren't made of glass).

That bench on Saturday is the worst I can remember under Fosun - and that includes ones with Batth and Edwards on it. The board are responsible for that.
Marcal, had Jonny not been injured, would not have been used as much as he was, let alone more. He was Jonny's cover, pure and simple.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal, had Jonny not been injured, would not have been used as much as he was, let alone more. He was Jonny's cover, pure and simple.
Exactly this, anyone thinking Marcal and Trincao were viable squad players obviously didn’t watch them last season. I’d rather Bueno or Campbell be on the bench than those two who we’re undoubtedly on 10 times the wage the kids are on

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The term 'legacy fans' was not aired until these QA interviews. CBA to go through them, maybe it was Big Vinnyism?
Might not have been aired on here until then, but was not a term used by anyone at the club as far as I can see. Might just have been some self identification by those using it I suspect. It was after all already a term in use following the Super League debates. Someone presumably felt that the tone of Jeff's interview suggested he saw them in this way. I can't see that he actually did that, even without using the specific term, but I know some had that perception. It probably only needed one person to use the words to convince others they were used. This does seem to be the way these things are spread these days and no-one usually CBA to check the source.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, without Fosun we wouldn’t be where we are now. The real issue is recruitment strategy. A bit more forethought and investment and we would be enjoying the financial benefits of European football and PL money.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The term 'legacy fans' was not aired until these QA interviews. CBA to go through them, maybe it was Big Vinnyism?
The term "legacy fans" has never been used by Wolves, Jeff, or Vinny.

It was used in the ESL talk, by Dan Roan
Reports from the BBC said some stakeholders in the Super League had described traditional supporters of clubs as "legacy fans," and they were keen to focus on recruiting new "fans of the future." This was met with further furore.

The closest Jeff came to using anything like it was this, but of course, just because foreign/new fans are more important than they used to be, doesn't mean that local/match-going fans are any less important than they used to be, but some people are just begging for an excuse to be offended.

“They are more and more important,” Shi said of the club’s new followers. “First, it’s like a family, you want more and more fans joining the family, and also with a bigger fanbase you have a much bigger power commercially to attract partners, sponsors, even sell more merchandise around the world, and it will help us to have a much better commercial power to compete with the top six.

“Otherwise, if you only leverage the maybe 200,000 fans here in Wolverhampton, I think it’s no use because you cannot compete with maybe 100 million fans for Man United, so it’s very important to have the attraction, to attract all the eyeballs around the world and make our fanbase much bigger than the local area, then we have the chance to be a global powerhouse, then it’s the starting point to be a worldwide club.”

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well sure, but that rather serves my point. We signed a player who was part of a Lyon side who dumped Man City out of the CL quarter final, as a backup to our first choice. That's squad depth, not some academy kid. SBK's comment that he was not a 'viable' member of the squad is most unfair. He was generally solid if unspectacular, and was held back by injury / fitness issues.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well sure, but that rather serves my point. We signed a player who was part of a Lyon side who dumped Man City out of the CL quarter final, as a backup to our first choice. That's squad depth, not some academy kid. SBK's comment that he was not a 'viable' member of the squad is most unfair. He was generally solid if unspectacular, and was held back by injury / fitness issues.
I wouldn't disagree with that.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll give it one more try.

I have argued how your logic is pathetic because I have demonstrated how Fosun have rebuilt this club from a Championship side to a team that has finished in the top half of the Prem. You ignore that though because you think we have gone backwards because we finished 13th and 10th while ignoring the circumstances behind them.

Our 13th place finish was covid affected as Nuno clearly was suffering and as such that spread to the team. 10th last year was only achieved because all season we had been in 7th or 8th spot until the final week. A bit like when we lost out on 6th by one goal.

You then come out with some illogical nonsense that Fosun only achieved what they did because of Mendes. Well, who was smart enough to recruit him to work with us? Fosun. You can't have your small minded, anti Fosun argument both ways.

As regards young players, they have been given opportunities under Lage. You seen to want to judge based on one game this season but that's nonsense. Kilman has been brought though, convenient as that is to forget, and Chiquinho, Gomes and Cundle have been given opportunities. Other players will also be given a chance as the season progresses, I'm confident of that.

So step back a bit and hold your misplaced anger because our club is actually doing OK and although I get the frustration that you probably think we can do more, the reality is that we aren't going to throw money around willy nilly like Everton or Villa and that we have a recruitment team that is doing a lot of due diligence to get us players that can improve our team> Do that, and you raise the quality in the squad.
Great stuff.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No sign of Scott Sellars I'm the Guedes video at all....or in anything for a while

Conspiracy time!

(He's probably just on holiday with Wolves "reporter" Steve Madeley)
He’s in Birmingham holding a seminar on our transfer policy @ The Soho Tavern. Large tandoori mixed grills with Danny sauce and jugs of vodka red bull are complimentary.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He said it in the last ask wolves I believe that he has been told money is available it he hasn’t accepted the offer and asked for it.
It was a loan to bridge any covid losses to keep the club a float he mentioned. It was not to sign players.

If Jeff took money off Fosun for covid and splurged on players he wouldn't be in the job long

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a loan to bridge any covid losses to keep the club a float he mentioned. It was not to sign players.

If Jeff took money off Fosun for covid and splurged on players he wouldn't be in the job long
He would have been fine as that money woyluld have gotten us into Europe last season and boosted our profile, made the fans far happier. Both of those things would have then raised more cash.

He would have been onto a winner in terms of his standing if he had.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would have been fine as that money woyluld have gotten us into Europe last season and boosted our profile, made the fans far happier. Both of those things would have then raised more cash.

Hindsight, particularly inaccurate speculative hindsight, is a wonderful thing....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The loan was during Nuno's last season, it was the covid season.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If he'd taken a loan in Spring of 2020, ostensibly to "get us through Covid", and then kept it set aside until January 2022 and splashed it on a load of signings, then he wouldn't be in his job long.

Also, I think you mean "might" have got us into Europe, rather than "would" have.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he'd taken a loan in Spring of 2020, ostensibly to "get us through Covid", and then kept it set aside until January 2022 and splashed it on a load of signings, then he wouldn't be in his job long.

Also, I think you mean "might" have got us into Europe, rather than "would" have.
With the massive drop off in results and the number of injuries, you don’t believe the few points we missed out on may more likely have been gained if we had signed Sanches and Botman?

I personally believe they would have been.

So no I don’t mean “might” at all, please don’t tell me what I mean, when I am being very clear in what my opinion is.

I have these beliefs as no team made a definitive and clear run for the European spaces and nearly all the teams dropped quite a few points.

People moan about negative posts, and posters, but then when people are positive that with the squad we had and a few quality additions to cover the injuries we had in the run in, signings which we should have completed we would have made Europe people criticise that positivity…..

you cannot win……

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight, particularly inaccurate speculative hindsight, is a wonderful thing....
I am wrong about the timing of the ask wolves comment about money, ok. I accept that and move on, no dramas

But the question still is that money was available in that Jan as we were in talks with two quality players. Did we spend it….. nope

Could we have used a player to have covered injuries to max and sais drop in form post AFCON in the case of Botman - yes

Could Sanches have been a great player to have partner who would have replaced the injured neves? - yes

That isn’t hindsight to be critical of not completing those transfers we all knew in the Jan we needed to strengthen, we had the chance to, didn’t and the wheels fell of at the end because of lack of squad depth. We had a bad season with injuries the one before, so had warning of what could happen if the injury bug bit again.

We knew ahead of time of what was needed and the pitfalls of not addressing this and with Europe and top 4 a possibility and many were proven correct about what would happen if we didn’t invest.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the massive drop off in results and the number of injuries, you don’t believe the few points we missed out on may more likely have been gained if we had signed Sanches and Botman?

I personally believe they would have been.

So no I don’t mean “might” at all, please don’t tell me what I mean, when I am being very clear in what my opinion is.

I have these beliefs as no team made a definitive and clear run for the European spaces and nearly all the teams dropped quite a few points.

People moan about negative posts, and posters, but then when people are positive that with the squad we had and a few quality additions to cover the injuries we had in the run in, signings which we should have completed we would have made Europe people criticise that positivity…..

you cannot win……

It's very impressive that you can say with 100% certainty what would have happened if only we'd signed these players! Who knows, Sanches could've done his knee in again in his first training session, while our defence wasn't exactly porous at the time anyway, so there was limited scope to improve it.

And given the difficulty Newcastle had in signing Botman in January, I don't think we could have signed him anyway, it's clear that Lille wanted to hold him until the summer, knowing his value was only increasing.

But all of that is a side point really, when you seem to be intentionally missing the fact that the money offered by Guo/Fosun was nearly 2 years before that and was intented to help with Covid rather than be a transfer pot!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very impressive that you can say with 100% certainty what would have happened if only we'd signed these players! Who knows, Sanches could've done his knee in again in his first training session, while our defence wasn't exactly porous at the time anyway, so there was limited scope to improve it.

And given the difficulty Newcastle had in signing Botman in January, I don't think we could have signed him anyway, it's clear that Lille wanted to hold him until the summer, knowing his value was only increasing.

But all of that is a side point really, when you seem to be intentionally missing the fact that the money offered by Guo/Fosun was nearly 2 years before that and was intented to help with Covid rather than be a transfer pot!
Not intentionally missing out on it, i accepted I was wrong on wickedwolfs response. But I will stand by my point that money was available and not spent to strengthen the team at a crucial time when Europa league and conference were very realistic and champs league was an attainable dream. But every wolves fan knew the squad was too thin and a bad run of injuries away from all the positivity and European hopes disappearing as we saw the season before what happened. They didn’t strengthen and injuries came and the wheels fell off and we then got relegation form for the last 1/3 of the season.

You throw the hypothetical situation that Sanches, could have gotten injured on day one in training. But Did Sanches injure his knee again? No. So he would have been available if called upon as he was for Lille.

Our defence lost kilman and sais form dropped off a cliff post AFCON. An additional centre back would have helped massively.

Surely you can accept that the lack of investment cost us a higher finish in the league and the chance of Europe. Again costing the club money in prize money, brand exposure and also making it harder in turn to sign players this season as we aren’t offering European competition and means competition for players is harder for us.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Love you Jeff!

(I think we all need to go and change our votes!)

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will admit, I tarnished fosun with the sellers brush…..

Fosun saw there was a problem, phoned uncle Jorge and saved the day!!!!

The sooner sellers is gone and replaced with a competent person the better.

Sellers will struggle to get another comfy gig after he leaves us after his failure at city with all their riches.

But god bless Guo for being able to get to pre-season and then going to fulham…

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One can only marvel at the explosive events of the past few weeks. Over £100m net commitment from Fosun this Summer, while still managing to keep all of our top players that we wanted to keep. Even if that changes before deadline day and we balance the books with one or two sales, this is what we as fans craved: a sign that the owners have not left the playing squad to stagnate in their pursuit of enhancing eSports and whatever other venture that exploits the Wolves 'brand'. A lot of the lost faith has been restored.

Back
Top Bottom