Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun & Bordeaux

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This could be a massive positive. Bordeaux can take some of our youth to develop, and the young players we want to buy but cant because of brexit can be filtered through bordeax until they can make an impact on our first team
Let’s hope that is the plan. Smart idea if so.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want to develop young players and sell them in for a profit then the French league ain't a bad place to do it.

I wonder if Fosun have realised that the PL is a tough place for youth to develop and have gone into the French league instead. I think this may mean that players like Silva (but cheaper versions of) may go to Bordeaux via us, before being sold on with juicy sell-on clauses.

Who knows what will happen! But I could see Marques, Lonwijk & Corbeanu going there on loan next season

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham aren't buying maja from bordeaux. Would you want him as the third striker?

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't see how this is a negative, this proves that fosun still have an interest in football, although it may be easier to get bordeaux into Europe the French leagues do not have the same riches or pulling power for support across the world as the Premier League has.

I doubt outside of PSG (and by PSG I mean Mbappe and Neymar) there is not much of an interest french football globally.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Sign a young player, send him out to Grasshoppers, then polish him up a bit more in Bordeaux before bringing the finished article back to Molineux makes sense. The link to ZZ is very interesting a big name to raise our profile globally and a manager with a proven track record

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre season tournament involving us, Grasshoppers and Bordeaux?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but Fosun don't make money off us at the moment, they have put 100+ million in. They'd possibly have to do half of that to make them Europa League side.
They own an asset that’s worth more though. As an investment firm that’s part of what they look for ultimately.

They brought us for what £45m (that’s the biggest amount I’ve seen mentioned, most reported closer to £30m). £130m put in via a loan, so £175m all in so far. Now we’re worth what, £250m to £300m?

I mean, even the City Group which Man City is a part of, with the money their owner has put in which is reportedly well over £1bn, probably closer to £2bn now are valued at over to £3bn based on the recent sale of 10% of the group. So even they with ridiculous levels of money pumped in could still make a return if they decided to sell (and someone had that level of money to buy).

There’s more to making money from a business than just the cash you receive, the value it holds can be just as important for an investment portfolio like Fosun’s.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea if that source is any good, but if Fosun are going to be spaffing a few million on Bordeaux that's going to mean less cash for Wolves.
Why?
They wouldn’t be buying it if it wasn’t worth it....probably meaning they’re getting it for peanuts, considering the French league doesn’t guarantee huge revenue through massive TV deals like the prem.
It’ll be Wolves 2. Buy cheap, pump money in, get players via Mendes Carousel (or our cast offs), have a club worth far more than the initial investment in no time.

Then they have a network of 3 clubs, in their respective top divisions, of progressively higher quality.
Can only be a good thing for us.

Danny's day out

Groupie
Reaction score
Thats the preseason tournament Fosun Cup Grashoppers Bordeaux Wolves in China low covid rates there they've exported it all

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

They own an asset that’s worth more though. As an investment firm that’s part of what they look for ultimately.

They brought us for what £45m (that’s the biggest amount I’ve seen mentioned, most reported closer to £30m). £130m put in via a loan, so £175m all in so far. Now we’re worth what, £250m to £300m?

I mean, even the City Group which Man City is a part of, with the money their owner has put in which is reportedly well over £1bn, probably closer to £2bn now are valued at over to £3bn based on the recent sale of 10% of the group. So even they with ridiculous levels of money pumped in could still make a return if they decided to sell (and someone had that level of money to buy).

There’s more to making money from a business than just the cash you receive, the value it holds can be just as important for an investment portfolio like Fosun’s.
Yes and Bordeaux would require almost nothing to buy and a much smaller investment to become a European team so the ROI could easily be higher.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Odds
Why?
They wouldn’t be buying it if it wasn’t worth it....probably meaning they’re getting it for peanuts, considering the French league doesn’t guarantee huge revenue through massive TV deals like the prem.
It’ll be Wolves 2. Buy cheap, pump money in, get players via Mendes Carousel (or our cast offs), have a club worth for more than the initial investment in no time.

Then they have a network of 3 clubs, in their respective top divisions, of progressively higher quality.
Can only be a good thing for us.

I was talking about the short term and how much cash Fosun want to put into their football clubs- some other comments on it further up the thread.

I agree its a positive thing overall though - seems to complement Wolves nicely.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Odds

I was talking about the short term and how much cash Fosun want to put into their football clubs- some other comments on it further up the thread.

I agree its a positive thing overall though - seems to complement Wolves nicely.

Yes but are you implying they’re incapable of throwing money at both if they want/need to?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and Bordeaux would require almost nothing to buy and a much smaller investment to become a European team so the ROI could easily be higher.
Of course, but they probably have more of a ceiling too compared to a team in the PL with the money available at the top.

A good investment firm with deep pockets would try to ensure all of their assets are performing to their optimum, so on that basis there’s no reason to be concerned that they won’t try and ensure we’re both doing well.

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
Can we have first pick of their squad? Yacine Adli was one of the suggestions on one of those pieces looking at midfield signings for us. He was already the most affordable whilst looking half decent.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Of course, but they probably have more of a ceiling too compared to a team in the PL with the money available at the top.

A good investment firm with deep pockets would try to ensure all of their assets are performing to their optimum, so on that basis there’s no reason to be concerned that they won’t try and ensure we’re both doing well.
Yeah i agree, they are buying Bordeaux for 1 Euro apparently, dunno how much debt they have to pay down. Seems a great deal.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is anyone else a bit uneasy with this whole thing. Just creating a cabal of clubs who collude with each other and just become a vehicle for selling players on to make money. I know the integrity is gone it football but i hate RB Leipzig for what theyve done, i dont like the Sheik taking over football clubs all over the world so i cant really get on board with this either.
I know its probably what we signed up for with Fosun but it just seems like the integrity of what the football club is about is dissipating.
Bordeaux becoming our feeder club or vice versa. How we gonna feel when all our best players loaned to Bordeaux in the CL.
You sell a football club to a business conglomerate and then get annoyed when they run it like a business conglomerate :sweatsmile:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah i agree, they are buying Bordeaux for 1 Euro apparently, dunno how much debt they have to pay down. Seems a great deal.
Apparently they need €100m of investment, so not a small amount in the current climate, especially in France at the moment with their issues around the tv deal balls-up.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Apparently they need €100m of investment, so not a small amount in the current climate, especially in France at the moment with their issues around the tv deal balls-up.
Yeah puts it at about half of ours, although they are probably a slightly more prestigious club historically. Not sure that matters much anymore. We'd still be the bigger part of their portfolio. Tbf we are assuming massive crossover, they could well be totally separate from us with little crossover.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thinking it through , I am not sure it makes sense other than as a feeder club to Wolves .
There is an international price for footballers. So getting a cheap but comparably weak Bordeaux in to the Champions League , just to be thrashed in Europe does not make much sense. The sparkle of world publicity , including in China, and the money would be made by having a successful Premier League team watched all over the world, and then playing successfully in Europe. Not a team playing in a France backwater and being beaten on European TV. Very second rate for a World Company.

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign a young player, send him out to Grasshoppers, then polish him up a bit more in Bordeaux before bringing the finished article back to Molineux makes sense. The link to ZZ is very interesting a big name to raise our profile globally and a manager with a proven track record
Tote gomes next destination?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah puts it at about half of ours, although they are probably a slightly more prestigious club historically. Not sure that matters much anymore. We'd still be the bigger part of their portfolio. Tbf we are assuming massive crossover, they could well be totally separate from us with little crossover.
I’d imagine there will be the opportunity to occasionally use them to help us sign players around the brexit rules. That would be beneficial for them too as they’re then financially secure and get the benefit of those players until we can sign them.

It’ll probably be similar to RB Leipzig and Salzburg in that there will be some crossover to the benefit of both clubs (weighted towards the more valuable one) but neither will specifically be a feeder club to the other.

Synergies is the buzzword we’ll hear plenty of I bet!

W

WasStefan

There's typically a capex budget for a business division, which in this case would cover stuff like putting money into clubs for player purchases. If we want Wolves to spend big on players that's likely to need Fosun to stand up some capex, which might already be allocated to Bordeaux instead.

Might not be how Fosun play it but it would explain the noises about Wolves having to sell to buy big this summer.

Positive new that they want to buy another club though. Should mean we're the pinnacle of a European network.
Ok warren buffet

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is anyone else a bit uneasy with this whole thing. Just creating a cabal of clubs who collude with each other and just become a vehicle for selling players on to make money. I know the integrity is gone it football but i hate RB Leipzig for what theyve done, i dont like the Sheik taking over football clubs all over the world so i cant really get on board with this either.
I know its probably what we signed up for with Fosun but it just seems like the integrity of what the football club is about is dissipating.
Bordeaux becoming our feeder club or vice versa. How we gonna feel when all our best players loaned to Bordeaux in the CL.
You sell a football club to a business conglomerate and then get annoyed when they run it like a business conglomerate :sweatsmile:
It’s very complex . The morality . It seems cold and mercantile.`All humans have had to swop their time or ability for a living. Since the year dot. And.of these footballers are doing what they want for a good price and people want to pay and watch. As long as it’s legal in Europe and Uk . Beats coal mining or accountancy for a life.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not to worried about this. Back in the weeks building up to Fosun's takeover of us, we all thought they were buying both AC Milan and us, and I was fine with the idea then, too. Building their own network makes us less dependent on other people's.

Also, in the Brexit age with work permit rules, it could benefit us to have links to both Grasshoppers and Bordeaux. There are many players we can't bring in now because they're to young to have the points, but if they go to Grasshopers or Bordeaux, sit on the bench, get some game time, especially in a European competition, presto we can get a WP.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ll make more money from a premier league club than any other end of

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it good news for us? Don't see why. It means Fosun will have less time and money to focus on us surely? Already plans to renew Molineux seem to be on the back burner for years. And the talk is of a small transfer budget and having to sell players this summer to bring in others. Yes there coud be some reciprocation and shared player resources between the clubs but that will only be a peripheral advantage. I suppose they just see it as a great time to get a good deal for a substantial French club that they hope to revive in the same way that has been achieved with WWFC. Another step in creating a mini football empire. Meanwhile we have no manager and Jeff Shi seems to be running a one-man show.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is it good news for us? Don't see why. It means Fosun will have less time and money to focus on us surely?

TBH this idea has always been a distraction. Fosun want us too be self-sustaining. They're not continually ploughing money into us. They invested to get us up, and to keep us up, but the idea is and has been to grow the club and for the club to support itself. If they want to do that at multiple clubs, it's fine, it's not taking money away from us.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH this idea has always been a distraction. Fosun want us too be self-sustaining. They're not continually ploughing money into us. They invested to get us up, and to keep us up, but the idea is and has been to grow the club and for the club to support itself. If they want to do that at multiple clubs, it's fine, it's not taking money away from us.
People seem unable to grasp this, this is very well put.

Wolves are not a play thing for Fosun lime City are to the Abu Dhabi group or Chelsea to Abramovich. Wolves are part of a business portfolio.

The purchase of Bordeaux for what will be pennies to Fosun will be a good thing I think. French league a better quality of league than the Swiss league for Grasshoppers and they can take our more promising youth players and give them really good, physical experience in Ligue 1 and ast offs to change the financials between clubs, exactly like City do.

Plus - Bordeaux is a lovely city, with good wine and their kits are always nice as well!

Nivada

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is there a thread here for Fosun's original purchase of the club and can someone link it to me?

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
This can only be seen as good news if it happens. Like the City Group Fosun are building their own network of clubs to nurture future talent. This re-affirms the Fosun project is long term.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But all the Chinese foreign policy experts in our fanbase told us the Chinese government had told Chinese football club owners to stop investing.
I think that was more a UK/Premier League issue. Which makes this all the more concerning really. Plus it seems Brexit may make moving players around, especially young ones without an established background, more difficult.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that was more a UK/Premier League issue. Which makes this all the more concerning really. Plus it seems Brexit may make moving players around, especially young ones without an established background, more difficult.

I’m not concerned. I wasn’t concerned when Nuno left. I’m not concerned Fosun want to add Bordeaux to their portfolio.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only concern I have is Pedro Martins being lined up for that job rather than ours.

Think it’ll only be a positive though if Fosun are looking to build a group of football clubs as many other big investors in football are doing now, I suppose the only surprise is the next step is in France rather than Portugal.

Back
Top Bottom