Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Forest- possible points deduction

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The irony of FFP and PSR in some ways is that the massive gulf in club size is, in part, down to these clubs historically being able to outspend everybody else by a huuuuuge amount. Now the stable door has been slammed shut before all of the horses have been able to bolt, the gulf is just going to get bigger and bigger.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Nuno - Nuno - Nuno - He’s taking them to the Championship
That’s the way we like it - like it - like it…….”

‘Oh there were extenuating circumstances EPL , we couldn’t sell Player A before the accounting period end’

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest are correct to argue that this ruling, based on championship losses, will mean that promoted teams will be highly restricted in upgrading their squads. To the obvious detriment of competitiveness.

For a club like wolves, nothing to celebrate here.

our strategy would have been impossible if these rules had applied.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest are correct to argue that this ruling, based on championship losses, will mean that promoted teams will be highly restricted in upgrading their squads. To the obvious detriment of competitiveness.

We got lucky but so did other clubs like Bournemouth, Leicester and Vilar

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We got lucky but so did other clubs like Bournemouth, Leicester and Vilar
Seems to me that promoted clubs should get some allowance to spend more, (if turned into equity by owners),
so that they are not put at too great a competitive disadvantage. Say an extra 50m over two years if they stay up.

A kind of parachute payment in reverse.

It is easy to see that this Forest scenario, where they had to operate with Champtionship levels of allowable loss, will
make it difficult for clubs, who havent had the parachute payments, to carry out the squad rebuild that all promoted
sides have to do.

Result: more clubs immediately relegated after first season, (although they will then qualify for parachute payments!!),
stronger barriers to clubs making the breakthrough to consistent Premier status.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me that promoted clubs should get some allowance to spend more, (if turned into equity by owners),
so that they are not put at too great a competitive disadvantage. Say an extra 50m over two years if they stay up.

A kind of parachute payment in reverse.

It is easy to see that this Forest scenario, where they had to operate with Champtionship levels of allowable loss, will
make it difficult for clubs, who havent had the parachute payments, to carry out the squad rebuild that all promoted
sides have to do.

Result: more clubs immediately relegated after first season, (although they will then qualify for parachute payments!!),
stronger barriers to clubs making the breakthrough to consistent Premier status.

The easiest solution would be to allow them the same losses as a team which had been in the PL for more than 3 seasons. As it stands, the promoted teams have a smaller allowable loss due to the lower figure allowed for seasons they were in the EFL. I understand the logic for this, but as you say, on promotion they need to spend more just to be competitive.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to Talksport, they have just said Forest did their books and projections, based on finishing 12th. That for me alone shows how badly they have been run.

All the Forest fans trying to defend the deduction are deluded.
Any club outside the usual top 6 who do their projections on anything other than 17th is just asking for trouble.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

exactly it. Unfortunately as we have seen, common sense is out the window, most here have an irrational hate of Forest so want them doomed any way possible. It is outrageous any footy fan is supporting this farce in the first place, it has literally just ended the premier league as a competition. It is so blatant it is amazing but here we are begging for the book to be thrown at another club for doing little different to what we did.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
exactly it. Unfortunately as we have seen, common sense is out the window, most here have an irrational hate of Forest so want them doomed any way possible. It is outrageous any footy fan is supporting this farce in the first place, it has literally just ended the premier league as a competition. It is so blatant it is amazing but here we are begging for the book to be thrown at another club for doing little different to what we did.

Wolves played by the rules this summer at great cost to our team. I don't think it's crazy to want teams who didn't to see some sort of punishment. Else what was the point in our own sacrifices? Forest willingly overspent, no one forced them to spend what they did on MGW et al.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves played by the rules this summer at great cost to our team. I don't think it's crazy to want teams who didn't to see some sort of punishment. Else what was the point in our own sacrifices? Forest willingly overspent, no one forced them to spend what they did on MGW et al.

There is the key to it all. Wolves played by the rules THIS summer. After five years in the prem. Forest were not allowed one year in the prem to do that. See the disparity? City haven't played by the rules ever, nor Chelsea, United etc.

And all that ignores the absolute cluelessness of dishing out random points deductions and no club having a clue if they will or won't be relegated as we await appeals etc. It needs abolishing today, it is making a complete farce of the game.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The rules applied since 2014 so well before we got promoted
We took a huge risk when we won promotion had we failed we would have been hit hard
Forest have signed 42 players in last 2 seasons while we have been cutting the squad to bare bones
There is no excuse or mitigation,they have got off lightly

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is the key to it all. Wolves played by the rules THIS summer. After five years in the prem. Forest were not allowed one year in the prem to do that. See the disparity? City haven't played by the rules ever, nor Chelsea, United etc.

And all that ignores the absolute cluelessness of dishing out random points deductions and no club having a clue if they will or won't be relegated as we await appeals etc. It needs abolishing today, it is making a complete farce of the game.

Wolves have played by the rules since promotion. We just weren’t bloody stupid like Forest buying 2 squads worth of players, including paying all their salaries, and never playing some of them.

Teams like City and Chelsea turned themselves from EFL clubs to Champions League and PL Title winners by spending hugely before FFP rules bolted the trap door behind them. Those of us promoted more recently have to play clever, and even then, we’re hamstrung by the disparity inherited from pre FFP.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score

I don't understand this at all.

FFP was in place since 2013. Wolves played by the rules of FFP upon promotion to the premier league and have done every year since in effect.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand this at all.

FFP was in place since 2013. Wolves played by the rules of FFP upon promotion to the premier league and have done every year since in effect.

We played by the rules but had to have a fire sale eventually to remain inside the rules. Forest haven't had a chance for a fire sale, they have had one season in the prem.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played by the rules but had to have a fire sale eventually to remain inside the rules. Forest haven't had a chance for a fire sale, they have had one season in the prem.

They had a chance to sell Johnson within the accounting period assessed for PSR which would’ve avoided a breach, but chose to wait for what turned out to be a slightly higher fee later in the summer. We sold what we needed to in order to stay within the limits. I have zero sympathy for Forest or Everton.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it is that simple right? **** me, we have spent years trying to offload some crap over the years. Saddens me that football fans are defending this nonsense.
That's not the point and yes it would have been that simple.
They had a chance to sell him to fall in line with the rules, but decided to hold on for more money (which then fall foul of the rules)

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They had a chance to sell Johnson within the accounting period assessed for PSR which would’ve avoided a breach, but chose to wait for what turned out to be a slightly higher fee later in the summer. We sold what we needed to in order to stay within the limits. I have zero sympathy for Forest or Everton.
Likewise. Wolves could have arguably raised more money by delaying sales of certain players beyond the accountancy period, but they didn't because them's the rules. Celebrity Wolf's argument that Forest are being unfairly affected because they've had a shorter spell in the PL is an odd one. It's not about the length of time, it's about the eye-watering amount they've spaffed up the wall on a large volume of mostly average players.

Forest's transfer strategy was bizarre and untenable from the off. As I said earlier, their net spend has been £50m higher than ours was in the same early PL-period. They should be very, very grateful to the league for only docking them four points, and I hope they get the 2 points put back on for a frivolous appeal.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In most competitions, if you break the rules, you are kicked out. Why should PSR be any different - if you break the rules, even by £1, then automatic relegation. If 4 clubs break the limit, tough, all 4 get relegated.

Would stop all the nonsense.
Rules is a generous term.....for measures taken to prevent the monopoly group from being challenged by the aspirational clubs.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score

Being in the Prem is irrelevant they would of breached FFP even if they stayed in the championship apparently. They had chance to sell a player to balance their books and tried to haggle for a higher fee with A Madrid. They called their bluff and blew the sale until spurs came. All their own doing imo

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rules is a generous term.....for measures taken to prevent the monopoly group from being challenged by the aspirational clubs.
I don't disagree with your view but if you wish to be in the PL you have to comply.... Forest accepted that when they joined that league on promotion... Not to mention that the EFL version is tighter.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Athletic article suggesting that Forest mention us in their defence to the PL, and say we would have breached the profit and sustainability rules too had we not sold Ruben Neves.

Apparently we are quite annoyed about this, as it is not true.

Libel?

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Athletic article suggesting that Forest mention us in their defence to the PL, and say we would have breached the profit and sustainability rules too had we not sold Ruben Neves.

Libel?
"They would have done this thing if they didn't do that thing, look at them!"

My my. Desparate from Forest.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Libel?
Let me get this right.

We took action to avoid falling foul of the rules and someone who did fall foul of the rules is suggesting that someone who didn't is a good defence strategy for themselves.

How, in any sane world, does that make any sense?

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Let me get this right.

We took action to avoid falling foul of the rules and someone who did fall foul of the rules is suggesting that someone who didn't is a good defence strategy for themselves.

Surprised they didn't say "we won the European Cup 40 odd years ago so you can't punish us". Stupid excuse they gave and no need to bring us into it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is, they don't really have any!

And they are trying to offload players at the same time as most other clubs, in a saturated market, where clubs are spending a lot less money.

Emphasis will be on quality over quantity for most.

I'm just glad we are a club that got well ahead of all this last summer.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Let me get this right.

This is the club that paid Jesse Lingard 200k a week

Back
Top Bottom