Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football league show

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you're saying Manc, on a thread the other week I said I'd still be ruthless & replace him if the right manager came along. Millwall went about 9 games without a goal last season & I don't see that club being totally revolutionised under the Jackets stewardship.

Times are good right now so it's hard understandably to look past him & I'm hoping we are both just one of them fits with the right man at the right club & he has the ability to take us on. Maybe KJ just needed a fresh start a bit like us & he can take on this challenge.

couple of good points there, yes, let's hope that it's a good fit!

Pellegrini won his first EVER trophy yesterday, and he's 60/61 I think, so who knows....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally agree that time will tell, and it's so obvious to all of us what a difference there is on the playing side, where most of our midfielders suffered from cricked necks for years. However, whilst you say he is the man that laid the foundations etc., what has he actually achieved?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, just trying to take your point and think about it - what has KJ actually won? Who has he got promoted? Why has he spent his entire career in and around the lower leagues?

I think he's doing absolutely everything spot on so far - and he's executing a (preordained) plan brilliantly. But, we go up, what then?

I so wish we'd finally found the manager that can take us to the next level, and the football in League One right now is fantastic - just what the Dr ordered - I just cannot remove this nagging doubt at the back of my mind, that if he was as groundbreaking and as progressive as some of us have been led to believe by the M&M propaganda machine - at 52, why has it taken him until now to finally realise his ambition? (After 18 years as a manager).

Just a rhetorical thought on a Monday (and I can pull up previous posts from months ago where I'm saying the same thing), I just can't help but think that this season is as good as it's gonna get for him at Wolves...

And I desperately, desperately, want to be proved wrong....

To be fair, he was only a Manager for 10 years during that time prior to joining Wolves. 1 year at Watford before being demoted to coach, 3 at Swansea and 6 at Millwall. Since Millwall barely had enough money to feed the meter for the lights, and his year at Watford was his first job and a relegation season, he hasn't had much opportunity to use the resources of a big club and build a team in his likeness.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Late Kick Off restarts tonight. Just a heads-up. About twenty past eleven.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he was only a Manager for 10 years during that time prior to joining Wolves. 1 year at Watford before being demoted to coach, 3 at Swansea and 6 at Millwall. Since Millwall barely had enough money to feed the meter for the lights, and his year at Watford was his first job and a relegation season, he hasn't had much opportunity to use the resources of a big club and build a team in his likeness.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right Sussex, my point was he set out to be a manager 18 years ago, and for whatever reason, 18 years later, he's still not won anything of note, or achieved anything higher than a few seasons around the lower leagues. the fact that he was unable to secure a managerial role during that period, for spells, is more fuel for my fire. I am just not sure why he hasn't achieved more in that period if he's the manager we now all think he is... is all...

:wavey:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're absolutely right Sussex, my point was he set out to be a manager 18 years ago, and for whatever reason, 18 years later, he's still not won anything of note, or achieved anything higher than a few seasons around the lower leagues. the fact that he was unable to secure a managerial role during that period, for spells, is more fuel for my fire. I am just not sure why he hasn't achieved more in that period if he's the manager we now all think he is... is all...

I think it's a fair question. Certainly as a local Watford lad who spent his entire playing career there, I can understand him being happy to stay there when demoted from Manager to Coach. Less sure about the Millwall stint - maybe he hoped to emulate Taylor at Watford, or he's just loyal and committed.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
You could argue that Dithering David Moyes has won nothing after 16 years of Management albeit winning the lottery when he got the job last Summer.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is true, I've seen more of Doyle since his move than I have done the last 6 months ;)

Leicester are on a great run & have a very impressive points haul up til now. You sometimes can get a bit of extra coverage on the FL72 review show but I think they could do a separate programme for the championship then combine one for League 1 & 2. We all pay enough for Sky to cover that.

I like the FL72 shows - there's the review show and the preview - and like you say the could easily split each into two shows. They have plenty of spare airtime that they fill up with rubbish and they are hardly high budget shows anyway, two blokes sitting in the cafe.

D

drewtwulf

Highly under-rated manager. I know Millwall fell away quite badly but having them in the top 6? early on and reaching a FA cup final was no mean feat. Probably a wafer thin squad did for them, if you have no decent replacement for injury/loss of form you're going to struggle - plus I think they lost a loanee who was key early on.
When they won at Molineux last season they were playing a decent style of football, similar to how we're set-up atm - players comfortable on the ball, quick short passes with good movement/interplay.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could argue that Dithering David Moyes has won nothing after 16 years of Management albeit winning the lottery when he got the job last Summer.

David Moyes is a classic example of the Peter Principle.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Highly under-rated manager. I know Millwall fell away quite badly but having them in the top 6? early on and reaching a FA cup final was no mean feat. Probably a wafer thin squad did for them, if you have no decent replacement for injury/loss of form you're going to struggle - plus I think they lost a loanee who was key early on.
When they won at Molineux last season they were playing a decent style of football, similar to how we're set-up atm - players comfortable on the ball, quick short passes with good movement/interplay.

fair point - maybe he's just not been given the opportunity he now has with Wolves - like Mr Wolf said, hopefully this will just be a great fit... let's all hope so...

M

Mr Wolf

I like the FL72 shows - there's the review show and the preview - and like you say the could easily split each into two shows. They have plenty of spare airtime that they fill up with rubbish and they are hardly high budget shows anyway, two blokes sitting in the cafe.

Agreed, I used to love hearing what Jeff & the boys on SS used to say about us on the build up to our games & I can't see why they can't throw something like that on midweek for the FL.

L

latekickoffmidlands

I think this season's a real "no win situation" if you like, as far as Wolves are concerned. If we win, even when we get a really big win, like away at Brentford last week, it will be a case of "ah yeah, but look at their parachute money/wage bill/fanbase/stadium, of course they should be near the top."

I had BBC WM on last evening, for my sins, and a Wolves fan who rang in made a very pertinent point. He said words to the effect of "the people in the media who aren't giving Wolves credit because of their money/resources, they'd be the first ones writing mocking pieces if things didn't go well."

We want to give Wolves credit for what you've achieved on Late Kick Off on BBC1 on Mondays. We record the show in Birmingham on Monday afternoon. If you'd like to be part of the audience, email me at duncan.jones@firstlooktv.co.uk

W

Wolfos

I am just not sure why he hasn't achieved more in that period if he's the manager we now all think he is...

2004/05, Swansea: 3rd in League 2 - PROMOTION
2005/06, Swansea: 6th in League 1 - Lost play-off final, WON JPT
2006/07, Swansea: resigned in Feb whilst in 9th
2007/08, Millwall: 17th in League 1 after joining in Nov
2008/09, Millwall: 5th in League 1 - Lost play-off final
2009/10, Millwall: 3rd in League 1 - WON PLAY-OFFS
2010/11, Millwall: 9th in Championship, 2 points off 6th with 2 games left
2011/12, Millwall: 16th in Championship
2012/13, Millwall: 20th in Championship, semi-final of the FA Cup

His record in Leagues 1 and 2 is pretty much impeccable and his 2010/11 season with Millwall is also encouraging. I certainly wouldn't feel bad about him leading us into next season.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2004/05, Swansea: 3rd in League 2 - PROMOTION
2005/06, Swansea: 6th in League 1 - Lost play-off final, WON JPT
2006/07, Swansea: resigned in Feb whilst in 9th
2007/08, Millwall: 17th in League 1 after joining in Nov
2008/09, Millwall: 5th in League 1 - Lost play-off final
2009/10, Millwall: 3rd in League 1 - WON PLAY-OFFS
2010/11, Millwall: 9th in Championship, 2 points off 6th with 2 games left
2011/12, Millwall: 16th in Championship
2012/13, Millwall: 20th in Championship, semi-final of the FA Cup

His record in Leagues 1 and 2 is pretty much impeccable and his 2010/11 season with Millwall is also encouraging. I certainly wouldn't feel bad about him leading us into next season.

i know! that was precisely my point! I'm not doubting his record in leagues 1 and 2, i'm just asking what happens next? and questioning whether he can really take us to the next level or two? I hope he can...

thanks for pulling that together though, makes interesting reading - I thought he'd failed in 3 play-offs, good to see he's won one - reasonable-ish cup record as well...

Back
Top Bottom