Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football league show

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didnt realise Burnley had so many of our ex players. Kightly looks good again and Jones scored a great volley, similar to the freekick routine one he scored for us a few years ago.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know what Claridge is on about saying that derby player shouldn't have been sent off. Clear dive and got his just desserts. Wish we would see more of this.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley haven't lost in 21 games at home. That is pretty damn good!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Don't know what Claridge is on about saying that derby player shouldn't have been sent off. Clear dive and got his just desserts. Wish we would see more of this.

I have seen several angles of that and his foot did slip.I don't think it was deliberate simulation.I have seen far worse.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen several angles of that and his foot did slip.I don't think it was deliberate simulation.I have seen far worse.

When most people slip they try and rebalance and don't fly across the ground as if they've been fouled.

Just thought it was good the referee had some bottle.

On a separate note, glad to see Karl Henry has improved his tackling!!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
When most people slip they try and rebalance and don't fly across the ground as if they've been fouled.

Just thought it was good the referee had some bottle.

On a separate note, glad to see Karl Henry has improved his tackling!!

One angle I saw his foot completely went from underneath him.I hate simulation too but I have seen far worse.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's rapidly turning into a Wolves Old Boys show!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick unapologetic about the lack of sexy football at Ipswich. What a surprise!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, you know what you're going to get if you hire Mick to get you out of the Championship.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just looked at Ipswich's line up (don't ask why), SEB and Hunt, on the bench, Berra:rolleyes: and Nouble starting. Would anyone on here have any of those Mick's donkeys in our team in place of Kenny's signings? Never mind that we are one division lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is it about this show that we get only a limited mention despite the run we're on, and being top. Instead of some useful analysis, we get Claridge witterimg on about the benefit of us having a big support to back us when we're playing well.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Claridge doesn't have anything to say except the usual clichés.

Awful stuff.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked at Ipswich's line up (don't ask why), SEB and Hunt, on the bench, Berra:rolleyes: and Nouble starting. Would anyone on here have any of those Mick's donkeys in our team in place of Kenny's signings? Never mind that we are one division lower.

Too big a factor to ignore though isn't it?

SellyWolf

Reaction score
Claridge doesn't have anything to say except the usual clichés.

Awful stuff.

You must have missed the bit where he argued in favour of Wolves fans then... stating that the idea that Wolves fans are a 'difficult crowd to play for' is absolute rubbish.

Fair comment I thought.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too big a factor to ignore though isn't it?

I think he meant we wouldn't even want that dross here in League 1 ... Neither would I in all honesty except perhaps Blake on the bench, assuming he's fit now.

M

Mugwump

Its how Mccarthy is. He is a footballing dinosaur. Not Modern thinking, not progressive, basically he is just applies short term fixes to clubs and leaves nothing lasting. At this moment in time however, his methods at Championship level are still effective.

I doubt he will kick on much more with Ipswich if they dont get promotion this season however as they dont have money at this moment in time to improve the squad and Mick has yet to unearth any non league/lower league gems there that we are told he is so good at finding. Difference when he managed us was he had the financial backing to get the better lower league players ( Jarvis, Foley, Keogh ) and supplement them with bigger money signings and proven championship players ( Seb, Berra, Jones, Stearman, Shackell, Iwelumo ). Just those players cost around 10 million. He doesn't have that luxury at Ipswich.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RedFlagWolf

Well, you know what you're going to get if you hire Mick to get you out of the Championship.

A fighting chance of promotion?

Of course someone could always hire different individual/s who have a history of getting teams out of the Championship in a different direction!

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_249 using Tapatalk

albell

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One angle I saw his foot completely went from underneath him.I hate simulation too but I have seen far worse.

I've just seen it. Looked like more of a slip than a deliberate dive to me. Harsh booking and subsequent sending off.

D

Dewsburywolf

What is it about this show that we get only a limited mention despite the run we're on, and being top.

Hasn't that always been the case? Even when in the Premier League there was a little bias against us, more often than not last game on & only 90 seconds of us IF we were lucky

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hasn't that always been the case? Even when in the Premier League there was a little bias against us, more often than not last game on & only 90 seconds of us IF we were lucky

Tell me about it. Not only limited to us though. My wife is a Boro fan, and complains of the same thing.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I think this season's a real "no win situation" if you like, as far as Wolves are concerned. If we win, even when we get a really big win, like away at Brentford last week, it will be a case of "ah yeah, but look at their parachute money/wage bill/fanbase/stadium, of course they should be near the top."

I had BBC WM on last evening, for my sins, and a Wolves fan who rang in made a very pertinent point. He said words to the effect of "the people in the media who aren't giving Wolves credit because of their money/resources, they'd be the first ones writing mocking pieces if things didn't go well."

Reaction score
We should be doing well, but it's no guarantee - the early 2000s Wolves teams infamously had superior resources and couldn't get promoted. QPR are doing a good job of messing it up this season. And it's not like we've ended up down here with a cohesive squad that from day one can just take the league by storm, we've dismantled the old side and Jackett should be getting more credit IMO.

D

Dewsburywolf

I think this season's a real "no win situation" if you like, as far as Wolves are concerned. If we win, even when we get a really big win, like away at Brentford last week, it will be a case of "ah yeah, but look at their parachute money/wage bill/fanbase/stadium, of course they should be near the top."

I had BBC WM on last evening, for my sins, and a Wolves fan who rang in made a very pertinent point. He said words to the effect of "the people in the media who aren't giving Wolves credit because of their money/resources, they'd be the first ones writing mocking pieces if things didn't go well."

Didn't they do just that last season? Pretty sure quite a few had us down as among the runners for promotion

blaenboy

Reaction score
Its how Mccarthy is. He is a footballing dinosaur. Not Modern thinking, not progressive, basically he is just applies short term fixes to clubs and leaves nothing lasting. At this moment in time however, his methods at Championship level are still effective.

Distance, whether time or geographic, distorts the view . My recollection of our promotion year from the Championship is that we played some scintillating football at times- the memory of the demolition of Notts Forest at Molineux being a particular favourite. It was superb football. People also forget the good football he got Ireland playing after years of effective, but limited, "put 'em under pressure" football. And to assume that there is little difference between League 1 and Championship in comparing Mick's Ipswich "donkeys" to our wonderfully brilliant stars in gold and black seems to me to misjudged. Playing at a higher level is exactly that- and many of Mick's former recruits are doing that, and doing it successfully, despite the sneering on here at them.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Distance, whether time or geographic, distorts the view . My recollection of our promotion year from the Championship is that we played some scintillating football at times- the memory of the demolition of Notts Forest at Molineux being a particular favourite. It was superb football. People also forget the good football he got Ireland playing after years of effective, but limited, "put 'em under pressure" football. And to assume that there is little difference between League 1 and Championship in comparing Mick's Ipswich "donkeys" to our wonderfully brilliant stars in gold and black seems to me to misjudged. Playing at a higher level is exactly that- and many of Mick's former recruits are doing that, and doing it successfully, despite the sneering on here at them.

Not going to take this OT as there is a thread for the Mick versus X debate, however I think the point being made is that Mick build teams to be effective at championship level football. He hasn't got a clue in terms if building a side to be effective at the higher levels of modern day football. Nothing wrong with that btw.

It appears, and there is a bloody long long way to go yet, don't get me wrong, that Jackett is putting a club (not a side) together that's equipped to play in a more modern progressive way. Time will tell just how successful Jackett will be, but already less than a season in, it's painstakingly obvious that this is the man who laud the foundations for Martinez, Rodgers and co to build on at Swansea.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had weaknesses in that side that MM could not improve but the way that havoc and mayhem tore sides apart was quite beautiful.
There was also some good football under Jones but both of these managers could not improve the squad .
So far Kenny has done a great job and its a great opportunity to prove whether he can go further than these two previous managers.

M

Mugwump

It was direct attacking football played by a side that cost a fortune to put together. It was exciting to watch no doubt. Its ok for the championship, its woefully inadequate for playing in the top flight. Funny you mention Irelands put em under pressure style when thats pretty much all did in the premier league barring the odd performance. We are now playing a better style of football, more flexible and progressive. Solid in defence and scoring plenty of goals. Next season, most of our old boys will be in the same division we are.

M

Mugwump

Not going to take this OT as there is a thread for the Mick versus X debate, however I think the point being made is that Mick build teams to be effective at championship level football. He hasn't got a clue in terms if building a side to be effective at the higher levels of modern day football. Nothing wrong with that btw.

It appears, and there is a bloody long long way to go yet, don't get me wrong, that Jackett is putting a club (not a side) together that's equipped to play in a more modern progressive way. Time will tell just how successful Jackett will be, but already less than a season in, it's painstakingly obvious that this is the man who laud the foundations for Martinez, Rodgers and co to build on at Swansea.

Exactly. Like i said, Mick is what he is, there is no denying it no matter how people want to dress it up. He builds effective championship sides. He did it with us spending a fortune, and he did it with Sunderland on a much lower budget. His teams aren't flexible, they dont play attractive football on the deck ( although it was exciting football the year we won the league ). He just isnt a modern thinking, progressive manager. Kenny is proving he is. We will see where he takes us next season.

blaenboy

Reaction score
We will see where he takes us next season.
This to me is the key. We look very good in League 1 and I am impressed with Jackett so far, both the players he has brought in and the football we are playing. However, if we do not get promoted with the resources we have versus the rest of the league then that will be failure. I fully expect promotion- and really it should be automatic promotion and not the play-off lottery- and next year will be the great test of his credentials as a leader.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
This to me is the key. We look very good in League 1 and I am impressed with Jackett so far, both the players he has brought in and the football we are playing. However, if we do not get promoted with the resources we have versus the rest of the league then that will be failure. I fully expect promotion- and really it should be automatic promotion and not the play-off lottery- and next year will be the great test of his credentials as a leader.

Football is for the here and now.He has built a very capable attractive footballing team.I don't subscribe to the view that his test will come next year if we go up .We can only deal with what is in front of us now.It is the same when Managers and pundits state a particular club is building a side 2/3 years down the line.
The dynamics of football are ever changing and as such my thoughts are in getting out of this Division and any thoughts about his limitations are irrelevant.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was wathing the show this week, don't always and struck me as to how many of our ex players/managers featured on the show this week

Jones, Kightly, vokes
Hammil
Doyle
Henry
Mark Davis

Mick
Stuart Gray

sure I've missed someone else as well

Surman

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... but already less than a season in, it's painstakingly obvious that this is the man who laud the foundations for Martinez, Rodgers and co to build on at Swansea.
I'd completely forgotten that little nuggget of info.

Very interesting ...

M

Mr Wolf

It's the perils of being in league 1 I'm afraid, pretty much zero media attention or coverage. You would think we all the hours wasted on SSN reporting non footballing stories (Ferguson at the Oscars) they could spare the odd 6 minutes looking at say ours & Brentfords runs.

F

FLEET WOLF

It's the perils of being in league 1 I'm afraid, pretty much zero media attention or coverage. You would think we all the hours wasted on SSN reporting non footballing stories (Ferguson at the Oscars) they could spare the odd 6 minutes looking at say ours & Brentfords runs.

I agree, I haven't noticed much in the media about Leicester who are flying high in the Champ-the media seem more interested in QPR and Arry's excuses, but the main interest seems to be gloating over Manure's failings and kissing Mourinho's backside!

M

Mr Wolf

I agree, I haven't noticed much in the media about Leicester who are flying high in the Champ-the media seem more interested in QPR and Arry's excuses, but the main interest seems to be gloating over Manure's failings and kissing Mourinho's backside!

That is true, I've seen more of Doyle since his move than I have done the last 6 months ;)

Leicester are on a great run & have a very impressive points haul up til now. You sometimes can get a bit of extra coverage on the FL72 review show but I think they could do a separate programme for the championship then combine one for League 1 & 2. We all pay enough for Sky to cover that.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... It appears, and there is a bloody long long way to go yet, don't get me wrong, that Jackett is putting a club (not a side) together that's equipped to play in a more modern progressive way. Time will tell just how successful Jackett will be, but already less than a season in, it's painstakingly obvious that this is the man who laud the foundations for Martinez, Rodgers and co to build on at Swansea.

I totally agree that time will tell, and it's so obvious to all of us what a difference there is on the playing side, where most of our midfielders suffered from cricked necks for years. However, whilst you say he is the man that laid the foundations etc., what has he actually achieved?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, just trying to take your point and think about it - what has KJ actually won? Who has he got promoted? Why has he spent his entire career in and around the lower leagues?

I think he's doing absolutely everything spot on so far - and he's executing a (preordained) plan brilliantly. But, we go up, what then?

I so wish we'd finally found the manager that can take us to the next level, and the football in League One right now is fantastic - just what the Dr ordered - I just cannot remove this nagging doubt at the back of my mind, that if he was as groundbreaking and as progressive as some of us have been led to believe by the M&M propaganda machine - at 52, why has it taken him until now to finally realise his ambition? (After 18 years as a manager).

Just a rhetorical thought on a Monday (and I can pull up previous posts from months ago where I'm saying the same thing), I just can't help but think that this season is as good as it's gonna get for him at Wolves...

And I desperately, desperately, want to be proved wrong....

M

Mr Wolf

I know what you're saying Manc, on a thread the other week I said I'd still be ruthless & replace him if the right manager came along. Millwall went about 9 games without a goal last season & I don't see that club being totally revolutionised under the Jackets stewardship.

Times are good right now so it's hard understandably to look past him & I'm hoping we are both just one of them fits with the right man at the right club & he has the ability to take us on. Maybe KJ just needed a fresh start a bit like us & he can take on this challenge.

Back
Top Bottom