Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

First team training

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or their fitness isnt the right kind of fitness enough for the style he wants to play. I'm sure it'll level out once they've adapted.

Which is fair enough seeing as he didn't get a preseason.
We looked perfectly fit against Luton and Rennes during Lop's last week. A small sample size perhaps but I don't buy the **** around the players not being fit enough for how he apparently wants to play.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked perfectly fit against Luton and Rennes during Lop's last week. A small sample size perhaps but I don't buy the **** around the players not being fit enough for how he apparently wants to play.

Two friendlies? Bit different isn't it

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he can get them to a point where we can do what we did in the first half for 90 minutes then I'm all for it.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"When asked what has changed in training, O'Neil revealed it is now much harder on the players than it was under predecessor Julen Lopetegui.

He added: "It's harder and more intense. I don't know about the duration, it might be shorter, but the intensity is definitely higher.

"Having spoken to the players and looked at the numbers they were producing before I got here, compared to what we do now, training is a bit more intense than what it was."

Another chance for him to distance himself from Lopetegui and I dont see this as a dig, as such because he's asked a specific question that he replies to.
But the way we finish games now is surely telling him something doesn't work.
Weve seen drastically decrease in performances in the Second half in 3 of his 5 first games. Could this training lead to that?
Shorter but more intense sessions will build up their ability to do the short high intensity runs, but might not benefit their endurance. It also takes some time to recover from.

I just think what he's saying is crap. JL had us in a really god place; there were no fitness issues in the pre-season games. Suddenly we go to not being able to keep going in the 2nd half, certainly evidenced in the last 3 games. Surely players reach a peak of fitness and training is all about maintaining that level? I think it's insulting to suggest they weren't fit. Whatever GON is doing is knackering them.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My take away from the latest first team training video is that we absolutely can’t hit a cows **** with a banjo.

Shooting competition? Missing competition more like. I honest to god think I’d win. One touch and shoot - half the time they weren’t even forcing a save, just spannering it wide.

Dear god.

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or their fitness isnt the right kind of fitness enough for the style he wants to play. I'm sure it'll level out once they've adapted.

Which is fair enough seeing as he didn't get a preseason.

Hopefully it will level out but if we keep being drained in the Second half, it will cost him his job.

I'll also argue there's limit to how much he can improve their fitness. They worked with a world class fitness coach in preseason. I doubt GON can somehow improve on that.

As for changing it. You can't just change the players fitness withing a few months.
Because this is simply not about getting them to be in better shape. They are already in the beat possible shape.
You can of course through training enable them to do different sort of runs better (like more high intensity runs), but not without it having an effect in other areas(like endurance).

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think what he's saying is crap. JL had us in a really god place; there were no fitness issues in the pre-season games. Suddenly we go to not being able to keep going in the 2nd half, certainly evidenced in the last 3 games. Surely players reach a peak of fitness and training is all about maintaining that level? I think it's insulting to suggest they weren't fit. Whatever GON is doing is knackering them.

I agree..
Fitness levels were fine towards the end of preseason and for our first game.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad I’m not GON because I would be sickened by some of the hatred posted on here by mindless idiots
I’ve seen the ‘hatred’ posts on this forum and have openly opposed such posts.
I don’t see any on this thread. I see ****-take, sarcasm and gallows humour. No hatred.

*I’ve just read similar to what I’ve just posted. Glad we’re all playing nice :hearteyes:

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL had us in a really good place ,, seriously?? He just had us stuffed 6 0 and 5 0 in case you have forgotten

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not watched anything like all of it and will do later but what is immediately obvious which I’ve not seen before is the whole squad doing the warm up in the gym together. Previously you’d have some on bikes, some playing basketball or the football tennis game, some doing weights and others chatting. This is everyone together doing the same exercises at the same time.

I’m not being critical here at all as I think it’s positive but reminded me of the warm ups we used to do when at school before Rugby or football matches. It generally went pear shaped when you entered men’s football and rugby where the warm up was a quick kick of a ball, a chat and a fag. No wonder people got injuries.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not watched anything like all of it and will do later but what is immediately obvious which I’ve not seen before is the whole squad doing the warm up in the gym together. Previously you’d have some on bikes, some playing basketball or the football tennis game, some doing weights and others chatting. This is everyone together doing the same exercises at the same time.

I’m not being critical here at all as I think it’s positive but reminded me of the warm ups we used to do when at school before Rugby or football matches. It generally went pear shaped when you entered men’s football and rugby where the warm up was a quick kick of a ball, a chat and a fag. No wonder people got injuries.
Yet without wanting to put the kiss of death on it, i think we are the only squad without any injuries in the prem at the moment

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Cunha?
Thought i saw the back of his head at the start but then nothing after, i guess if there is an issue GON will let us know this avo in his presser

That will shake the team up with bellegard e still suspended

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting to see that the training at the end was just among the midfielders and defenders (other than Neto). Hopefully an attempt to start getting goals from other areas of the pitch.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Interesting to see that the training at the end was just among the midfielders and defenders (other than Neto). Hopefully an attempt to start getting goals from other areas of the pitch.
Forwards are probably still away

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No sight of Bellegarde in the latest first team training photos. Hope his injury isn’t too bad.

Either this is bellegarde or it might be the young lad kaleta is it

Right boot colour either way

View attachment 38101

Could be bellegarde

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad Hugo Bueno is back....we will need him over December congestion I reckon......

Think he is another one who will benefit from the 3 at the back system

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad Hugo Bueno is back....we will need him over December congestion I reckon......

Think he is another one who will benefit from the 3 at the back system
Where would he play in a 3?
Think v Ipswich he played in the middle, people said he looked v slow……

Back
Top Bottom