Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

First team training

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Hasn't even met or spoken to Shi yet. That hard to even speak from China Jeff?
That’s got to mean that he’s on his way out surely even we wouldn’t be that unprofessional
Hobbs has been given additional responsibility obviously

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
View attachment 36404

Definitely changes behind the scenes for Jeff to not be involved at all.

All on Hobbs.
Feels absolutely insane that the new manager could have gone through an interview process and not have even spoken to the ****ing chairman of the club!

Although in this case....the less Shi the better. Here's hoping for some changes at the top.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s said GON expects to speak with Shi before the Man Utd game, although if so, likely by phone /video since Shi is not expected back before the end of the month. He thinks / hopes to find out more about future plans, but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were him!

I’m speculating that what we may see is Shi being based in China going forward, more associated with the broader FSG and much less so with Wolves. It’s possible that one of the local senior leaders may actually be assigned the role of Chairman or CEO in addition to their current role, thereby taking the expense of a separate Chairman off the Wolves payroll (saving a bit more money). It would be fairly consistent with how Shi has streamlined and promoted from within over the years. The immediate benefit for Fosun is some visible separation between Wolves and Fosun, which for various reasons, may now be attractive. But it might also simply mean than Shi is busy selling FSG in China, and Wolves will be left to itself in the meantime, albeit operating within strict financial parameters. So Hobbs may actually have a fairly broad freedom to act on the squad, although again within strict financial targets.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s said GON expects to speak with Shi before the Man Utd game, although if so, likely by phone /video since Shi is not expected back before the end of the month. He thinks / hopes to find out more about future plans, but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were him!

I’m speculating that what we may see is Shi being based in China going forward, more associated with the broader FSG and much less so with Wolves. It’s possible that one of the local senior leaders may actually be assigned the role of Chairman or CEO in addition to their current role, thereby taking the expense of a separate Chairman off the Wolves payroll (saving a bit more money). It would be fairly consistent with how Shi has streamlined and promoted from within over the years. The immediate benefit for Fosun is some visible separation between Wolves and Fosun, which for various reasons, may now be attractive. But it might also simply mean than Shi is busy selling FSG in China, and Wolves will be left to itself in the meantime, albeit operating within strict financial parameters. So Hobbs may actually have a fairly broad freedom to act on the squad, although again within strict financial targets.

Or Hobbs is being pushed forward as the main man so will be used as the sacrificial scapegoat when ( if) things turn bad.

It's good that GON is assessing the whole squad and I would hope he starts fresh with all of them and not be given preconceived ideas/ views from existing staff.

Happy to be called xenophobic ( and it doesnt make much difference in the grander scheme of things) but it's good to have an English manager and English captain in charge of an English club in this day and age.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or Hobbs is being pushed forward as the main man so will be used as the sacrificial scapegoat when ( if) things turn bad.

It's good that GON is assessing the whole squad and I would hope he starts fresh with all of them and not be given preconceived ideas/ views from existing staff.

Happy to be called xenophobic ( and it doesnt make much difference in the grander scheme of things) but it's good to have an English manager and English captain in charge of an English club in this day and age.
I agree your first para.

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

A 'face-saving' method adopted by most Gulf (UAE, Qatar, Saudi, etc.,) football clubs and indeed businesses.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Happy for Shi to withdraw and take a lower profile role at the club, as long as Hobbs coming in doesn't mean we're stuck signing players like Cresswell and Antonio. I guess Cresswell might be ok, but I'd rather sign that CB we've been linked with than both/either of these old-timers...

Last edited:

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He could also be getting a grilling over the recent events that have done little for Fosun's image, and it just could be that he is also winning a few pounds to assist with FFP/modest purchases. However, the latter is more of a possibility than the probability that we have to lose an elite member of the squad asap. Fingers crossed on that one!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They look happy and like they're working hard, no?

I'm excited for Saturday. God bless football.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More goals, innit?
They certainly score a lot in training! There does seem to be an emphasis on finding the net. And I was really impressed by their fitness at OT; first to the ball all the time and won most of the headers (that's down to JL). Tbh it's goals that will keep GON in this job so his priorities look right to me.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So much of shooting practice always seems to be about ideal conditions. I remember when I was a bike courier I'd tell people "learning the change a tire on your driveway is nice, but it doesn't prepare you for changing a tire in the dark, in the rain, halfway up a hill, with a delivery in your bag." I always think shooting drills should involve five or six players charging at the striker trying to get the ball.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much of shooting practice always seems to be about ideal conditions. I remember when I was a bike courier I'd tell people "learning the change a tire on your driveway is nice, but it doesn't prepare you for changing a tire in the dark, in the rain, halfway up a hill, with a delivery in your bag." I always think shooting drills should involve five or six players charging at the striker trying to get the ball.

2bf we don't know if they do include that. This is just snippets I suppose.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is why the lads look sensational in training but bad in matches with their finishing.

They aren’t replicating match conditions or pressures, it has been my thinking for a long time it is because they haven’t got the mental practice from training of hitting it past a raging defender and keeper and the added pressure forces them to rush or miss.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to work for the fire service in training many moons ago and in training all the drills for new recruits were practised in ideal conditions with no heat or smoke. Used to have loads of issues as the first time new fire fighters would encounter heat and smoke was when it was real and lives were possibly at stake.

Looking at that video it’s nice but I would expect any professional to score 9 times out of 10 in those conditions. They were able to take two touches at their leisure and there was no pressure. A more realistic training environment might create greater results in a match.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest the shooting practice in the video released looks very very simple to me. I don't know if its to give them confidence or whatever but to me it seems almost pointless. I've done shooting practice with kids more challenging than this.

Having said that I'm good friends with a striker who used to play for Denmark and him and a teammate spend a summer doing simple shooting practice like this and he scored a bunch of goals the following season..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By the way no GON in the video is there?
Maybe the players got tired of the whistle and locked him up somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom