Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on!
Fabio was Jeff Shi's pick , the chairman needs to be held accountable.
According to Jeff we had been watching Fabio for a few seasons , the fact we could have bought Silva for €10m 12 mths earlier is gross incompetence in itself.... then to spend the majority of our budget based on " hope" is just negligent and nonsensical.

I feel sorry for Fabio ( but I guess his salary would ease his pain) but like many, many others I see nothing in his game to warrant a valuation of him anywhere near 35m.

In recent years we've supposedly decided against splashing out big money on the likes of Ruben Dias, Frank Kessie and Dani Olmo, so it's a bit baffling that we thought spending £35 million on Fabio Silva was a good idea? Each is now worth far more than when we had our chance. Who'd be surprised for Botman to suddenly turn into the second coming of Jaap Stam too after we decided he wasn't worth an extra few million euros because we're stacked at CB?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Didn't play well tonight but the whole team only got going after 35ish minutes so he was isolated for most of that half.
It is going to be difficult to get him game time when Raul needs minutes to get going again, and Hwang obviously more developed as second in line.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't play well tonight but the whole team only got going after 35ish minutes so he was isolated for most of that half.
It is going to be difficult to get him game time when Raul needs minutes to get going again, and Hwang obviously more developed as second in line.
Hwang showed the value of having physical attributes last night. He didn't have much effect but the defenders at least knew they had a battle

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
IF I'd struck a deal that was as suspect as this one is, I could hardly grumble if I got sacked.
It's sufficiently speculative that it exceeds the description of being 'reckless' imho.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean three famously early physical developers, one of which was burned out by his late 20s? Is there a reason you picked those specific examples rather than other top strikers?

You could just as easily say that at Fabio's age Vardy hadn't even been picked up by Stocksbridge Park Steels yet, Klose wasn't a professional footballer or Van Nistlerooy was playing central midfield in the dutch 2nd division, and they turned out to be worth a lot.

The key thing is, no-one knows how good he will or won't be. I can understand and agree with people saying his signing was too much of a risk, but to completely write him off, is in my opinion, pretty thick.
Yes there is reason I picked Rooney, Mbappe and Haaland. They were/are Silvas age and everyone knew they were going to be great players after just a couple of games. Silva has shown nothing to compare with those 3.

Who else should I compare Silva with at his age and the price we paid?

I can remember seeing Robbie Keane, Joleon Lescott and even the great Peter Knowles in their teens. Everyone knew how good they were going to be and they were right.

Maybe I should compare him to the likes of Robert Taylor, Frankowski, Sigurdarsson or Al Jaber!

No need to compare him with Vardy (who cost peanuts) Klose (career began when he was 20) or Van Nistelrooy (he cost Heerenveen £360,000 when he was 20) imo. All proven top players I admit but we are talking about a £35million striker who most Mixers and Wolves supporters have serious doubts about!

Of course I want Silva to prove us doubters wrong and become a £100million player but there is nothing (other than time on his side) that gives us that hope.

I am not being thick, just giving an honest opinion.

Last edited:

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Feel for Fabio but yet again comes down to poor management at the top.

We couldn't find an extra £5million for Botman but paid £35million on Fabio . Even if he comes good firstly it will be in 2/3 years time and won't it be a cutrone/ Mir situation where he will go on loan and then get games ( which he won't here ) then say he is homesick and **** off .

Another Jeff Shi special .

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for Fabio as the £35m price tag is a millstone round his neck. It means we can’t really loan him out without looking like a laughing stock (who really loans their record signing out?!) and everybody is judging him on the fee - see thread title.

I think the signing of Semedo goes under the radar in comparison to this one. Remember we’ve played £30m for a player who is only a slight upgrade on Doc at right back. Yet with the Semedo signing people are completely overrating average performances where he offers nothing going forward but doesn’t cost us a goal.

The whole of the last summer window was basically Mendes using Jeff and Wolves as a bank to fund Porto and Barca in their hour of need.

Sanewolf

Reaction score
I've said it many times before so I wont go into detail but that Silva deal was dodgy. I said it at the time and I still think it now, it was a dodgy deal. It was a favor to Mendes, or a payment to Mendes for the other work he has done to us or something along them lines.

He isn't worth 35 million everyone knows that. Fosun are usually super tight with there money and always negotiate hard for the right price but for some reason Jeff was happy to pay the 35 million for this kid despite knowing that we had to worry about FFP for the following 2 years due to our Europa League run. Makes no sense.

Jeff Shi said in an interview that he personally wanted to sign Fabio Silva and that he rates him as one of the best young players in the world and this interview confirmed the deep rooted problems we have within the club at the moment. Jeff Shi should not be personally deciding who we sign at all, he is not a scout or a football man he is a business man.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it many times before so I wont go into detail but that Silva deal was dodgy. I said it at the time and I still think it now, it was a dodgy deal. It was a favor to Mendes, or a payment to Mendes for the other work he has done to us or something along them lines.

He isn't worth 35 million everyone knows that. Fosun are usually super tight with there money and always negotiate hard for the right price but for some reason Jeff was happy to pay the 35 million for this kid despite knowing that we had to worry about FFP for the following 2 years due to our Europa League run. Makes no sense.

Jeff Shi said in an interview that he personally wanted to sign Fabio Silva and that he rates him as one of the best young players in the world and this interview confirmed the deep rooted problems we have within the club at the moment. Jeff Shi should not be personally deciding who we sign at all, he is not a scout or a football man he is a business man.
When a chairman starts interfering with player recruitment… you’ve got problems

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
The whole transfer stinks of doing Mendes/Porto a huge favour. He’s still a kid so it’s harsh to criticise but I don’t see any real stand out attributes. Value for money at the moment? No chance...our record signing needs a loan which says it all

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Interesting if he didn't have this price tag hanging over his head and was just another squad player he would definitely be sent out on loan, to gain much needed experience.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know we're 9 pages into this thread, but I must say I find the original question (and the subsequent vote) slightly confusing. I had to read it twice to see which way to vote.
I reckon if the question was, "Did Wolves get massively ripped-off over Fabio Silva?" it would be about 80/20 in favour of yes.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In recent years we've supposedly decided against splashing out big money on the likes of Ruben Dias, Frank Kessie and Dani Olmo, so it's a bit baffling that we thought spending £35 million on Fabio Silva was a good idea? Each is now worth far more than when we had our chance. Who'd be surprised for Botman to suddenly turn into the second coming of Jaap Stam too after we decided he wasn't worth an extra few million euros because we're stacked at CB?
You’re considering how much did they cost and how good they are.

You’re missing a key variable - how much do Mendes, Porto, Gestifute & Fosun make off the deal?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he takes 2 years to be an actual threat and worth playing up front...... how much in wages and agents fees is that?
Add that onto the 35m.
And then it becomes a signing that you'd be very lucky to make any profit on. Even at 2020 prices.
I want the lad to come good (he seems a nice lad, and is our record signing ffs!), but it's one of the wierdest transfers ever..... and makes Jeff look a bit of a joke.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recent summers transfer windows are looking a complete and utter shambles as it stands. We have spent nearly 70 million combined on Silva and Semedo. Let that sink in! Whilst Semedo I dont mind he is still doing nowhere near enough to be worth us spending 30 odd million on him. Hardly any goals or assists from wing back. As for Silva, not his fault, but he looks totally out of his depth.

We could and should have done far more with 70 million and this is on Shi and his recruitment team.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I feel for Fabio as the £35m price tag is a millstone round his neck. It means we can’t really loan him out without looking like a laughing stock (who really loans their record signing out?!) and everybody is judging him on the fee - see thread title.

I think the signing of Semedo goes under the radar in comparison to this one. Remember we’ve played £30m for a player who is only a slight upgrade on Doc at right back. Yet with the Semedo signing people are completely overrating average performances where he offers nothing going forward but doesn’t cost us a goal.

The whole of the last summer window was basically Mendes using Jeff and Wolves as a bank to fund Porto and Barca in their hour of need.
Did you really just say the player who gets blamed if the weather is bad, goes under the radar?

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel for the kid but see nothing to inspire hope. No pace, no particular skill, not strong in the air, no shot on him. Someone should hold their hands up over this.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope he's not the player we talk about in 20 years time and say "what the heck were we thinking!?"

geowolf

Reaction score
I just can't see how a player of his age progresses without playing matches week-in week-out. I think he'll be loaned back to a club in Portugal in Jan and then a season in the Champ next year (hopefully not us!) In the meantime why can't he get competitive game time in the U23s, And yes... he will come good.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
He is almost starting to appear as the one of those players who the owner insists on being picked because he is family, and the Manager reluctantly has to put him in the side.
Yup, it doesn't look like Bruno thinks too highly of him. In the Ask Wolves videos, Jeff spoke more highly of Fabio than anyone else. I'm not sure there are direct orders to play Fabio, but I'm sure a discussion was had before Bruno was hired that developing Fabio was a priority.

Smart thing would be to send the kid out on loan, maybe to like Braga or a mid table Portuguese team. Try to get him semi regular playing time and hope maybe in a few years he'll develop into a decent squad player. Sitting on our bench playing cup games and the occasional 5 minute appearance does nothing for him. Loaning him would also essentially would be admitting that we ****ed up and he's not the generational talent that was promised. Jeff comes off as too stubborn to admit defeat like that..

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, it doesn't look like Bruno thinks too highly of him. In the Ask Wolves videos, Jeff spoke more highly of Fabio than anyone else. I'm not sure there are direct orders to play Fabio, but I'm sure a discussion was had before Bruno was hired that developing Fabio was a priority.

Smart thing would be to send the kid out on loan, maybe to like Braga or a mid table Portuguese team. Try to get him semi regular playing time and hope maybe in a few years he'll develop into a decent squad player. Sitting on our bench playing cup games and the occasional 5 minute appearance does nothing for him. Loaning him would also essentially would be admitting that we ****ed up and he's not the generational talent that was promised. Jeff comes off as too stubborn to admit defeat like that..
But wasn't that the original plan for him all along (to get 5 minutes here and there). It was only because of Raul's injury he played so much last season.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
He may have looked a good potential in Portugal but over here I am seriously afraid he will never make it. You can look at the way a young player especially a striker plays and tell yourself he will be good . However Silva will never make a top striker in the Premiership. I would have thought 20 million was over the top.
For me when Silva walked into the club and Jota and Docherty walked out that was the start of our demise.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
But wasn't that the original plan for him all along (to get 5 minutes here and there). It was only because of Raul's injury he played so much last season.
Maybe that was the initial plan last season but you would have hoped at this point he would either be able to form an everyday strike partnership with Raul or be a spot starter when Raul needed some rest. He's not good enough to do either.

Also think it's a ridiculous "plan" to have a club record signing playing the occasional few minutes a game

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva WAS genuinely good at youth level. I can totally understand the hype when he was playing at that level..
Just read this again:
"
It has been the perfect start to life in FC Porto's first team, but his emergence has not come as a surprise to those who watched him progress at youth level. Before his memorable debut at the Estádio Cidade de Barcelos in August last year, the youngster scored 31 goals in 33 matches with the U17 squad.
He then made the jump to U19 level, picking up the Championship's top scorer award, netting 33 times in 39 games.
The 18-year-old's talent was always highly regarded by those in Porto's youth system but now he is gaining a reputation in Portugal for not just his talent, but an incredible work ethic."

So obviously there MUST be a talented player in there. Problem of course is, that he's very far from being ready for PL level, let alone maybe even Championship level.

Best thing for him would've been to progress slowly at Porto. Have 2-3 seasons, with lots of sub-appearences, and the odd start. Against often inferior opposition, it would've been perfect way for him to develop at senior level, and become a good player, who could then move on for big money to a PL club.
Problem is, we bought him too early, and now due to the pricetag, we're not going to loan him out, something which would quite frankly be the best thing for the lads development.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can cut Shi some slack for last season (but not much), but relying on Raul & Silva again this season is malpractice and hubrus of the highest order. 35m is insane, we will never recoup that, and what's worse is how that money could have been better spent.

Not the kids fault but I think he will be an unwelcome footnote of the Fosun era.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Send him back to Porto on loan. Last night I actually felt sorry for him as he's so far out of his depth. Albeit the spurs CB pairing cost £80m+ between them. He needs to play against poorer players whilst he finds his feet in senior football. All in all so far we have been absolutely rinsed on this kid, I hope he comes good but I feel tho this will be wrong place wrong time.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can cut Shi some slack for last season (but not much), but relying on Raul & Silva again this season is malpractice and hubrus of the highest order. 35m is insane, we will never recoup that, and what's worse is how that money could have been better spent.

Not the kids fault but I think he will be an unwelcome footnote of the Fosun era.
First sentence is spot on. To rely on one senior striker last season was total nonsense even before Jiminez was injured. To rely so heavily again on Jiminez this season when following a life threatening injury we still have no idea if he will return to his past level of performance is total folly. Wolves have got it badly wrong again.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva WAS genuinely good at youth level. I can totally understand the hype when he was playing at that level..
Just read this again:
"
It has been the perfect start to life in FC Porto's first team, but his emergence has not come as a surprise to those who watched him progress at youth level. Before his memorable debut at the Estádio Cidade de Barcelos in August last year, the youngster scored 31 goals in 33 matches with the U17 squad.
He then made the jump to U19 level, picking up the Championship's top scorer award, netting 33 times in 39 games.
The 18-year-old's talent was always highly regarded by those in Porto's youth system but now he is gaining a reputation in Portugal for not just his talent, but an incredible work ethic."

So obviously there MUST be a talented player in there. Problem of course is, that he's very far from being ready for PL level, let alone maybe even Championship level.

Best thing for him would've been to progress slowly at Porto. Have 2-3 seasons, with lots of sub-appearences, and the odd start. Against often inferior opposition, it would've been perfect way for him to develop at senior level, and become a good player, who could then move on for big money to a PL club.
Problem is, we bought him too early, and now due to the pricetag, we're not going to loan him out, something which would quite frankly be the best thing for the lads development.
I’ve seen nothing to suggest Silva is anything other than ordinary. Happy to be proven wrong but even then it could well be years away

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Send him back to Porto on loan. Last night I actually felt sorry for him as he's so far out of his depth. Albeit the spurs CB pairing cost £80m+ between them. He needs to play against poorer players whilst he finds his feet in senior football. All in all so far we have been absolutely rinsed on this kid, I hope he comes good but I feel tho this will be wrong place wrong time.
Porto probably doesn't want him, either.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve seen nothing to suggest Silva is anything other than ordinary. Happy to be proven wrong but even then it could well be years away

Neither have I. But then again, I've only seen him at a level he's clearly not ready for. The type of player he is, which is obviously a poacher, judging on his record at youth level, doesnt necessary have stand out attributes. Player like Kane, Lewandowski, and others didnt really looked out of the ordinary at the same age. Yet, we all know how they turned out, as that natural predator instinct was developed..
Silva must have some of that same instinct, because he wasnt just a good youth striker. He was one of Europes leading strikers at his age group.
Dont get me wrong. I still think it was absolutely insane to pay that sort of money for him for a club in our position, with our needs and our limited finances. All I'm saying is, that at youth level, there was a lot of hype around him, and for good reason, He really did stand out among his peers.

Back
Top Bottom