Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

Wolfiebill

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd to pick up on a comment made by Goldfish, with which I totally agree and I'd to TRY to poll you guys as to your opinion....

"Even if Fabio Silva kicks on to become the player the propaganda tells us he will be, the £35m we spent on him looks dafter with every passing minute. "

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, he won’t in my opinion but don’t see the point in this.

He didn’t ask for the fee and, crucially, he gives his all when he plays and wants to be here. He’s also not bad and can improve so I don’t think he’ll not make an impact at all, just not at the level we want for a £35m player.

Nevertheless, The criticism lies solely with Shi and the timing of the signing. Silva deserves, and will get, our support.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We paid way, way too much for him. But why bring that up now?

He could be brilliant. It is up to him to work hard and improve his finishing. He got into the positions to score a shedload and his goal hauk wasn't terrible considering the minutes he played. It is up to him to improve his finishing ability. If he does he will be one of the best in Europe. Big if though.

But there is no point dwelling on the fee. He's our player now. He wasn't half as bad as some people made him out to be last season.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player is only worth as much as a club is willing to pay for them. Apparently we think he was worth £35 million. In my opinion, he's worth nowhere near that at the moment if we compare him to other transfers around the same mark - mainly because at the time of purchase he had only ever played around 11 senior games.

However, this doesn't mean he can't be worth that and more in the future. I'm hoping FOSUN struck gold, but only time will tell.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sure hope he will end up being value

Wolfiebill

Groupie
Reaction score
Guys, for those of you criticising me for asking what I thought was a reasonable question, but it seems one that has been debated EXCEPTIONALLY heavily in the past??? Let me point out that I'm not a massive contributor to this forum and I don't have the time or inclination to read / go back over every one of your posts. Sorry if I've wasted your time by asking what I thought was a reasonable question. I wasn't aware that you guys had debated and answered the question. Certainly won't encourage me to ask another question.

D

Deleted member 8123

He's good to have around.
Definitely not worth the fee.
It's been mentioned many times but Fabio is part of some multi functional dealings ; who benefits ? not sure.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Guys, for those of you criticising me for asking what I thought was a reasonable question, but it seems one that has been debated EXCEPTIONALLY heavily in the past??? Let me point out that I'm not a massive contributor to this forum and I don't have the time or inclination to read / go back over every one of your posts. Sorry if I've wasted your time by asking what I thought was a reasonable question. I wasn't aware that you guys had debated and answered the question. Certainly won't encourage me to ask another question.

This is part of the point, for me, TBH. It's been done to death. Now we just need to get behind him as he develops. Find a song for him. Help him grow.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course he isn't, we all know we paid over the odds, but we need to try and forget that and get behind him.
My hope is that a new manager can make rational decisions about playing him or not. However, I think the management are so invested in him that he will be played regardless.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many on here are desperate for Wolves to fail. Desperate to be back in the Championship where you feel we belong. Hate everything about Fosun, Hate Mendes, Hate most of our players.
Why on earth do you say you support the Wolves?
A stupid comment if I ever heard one. "You don't agree so you are not a real fan". Bxxxxxxx.

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2FFBFFE8-AC1A-482C-ADBA-A88599923D3E.jpeg
Get behind the kid ffs he was one of the only players to consistently give his all. Done great work for us and will continue trying his best. I do agree that the fee looks a bit weird considering we are now broke and can’t afford players in positions that we 100% need serious improvement in, but that criticism lies with Sellars and Shi not on king Fabio

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't worry about some of the responses. People can chose to ignore a thread if they think it pointless or not really interested in it. Unfortunately, a lot of people on here prefer to criticise than move past a thread. Hopefully you will continue to participate in discussions and ask whatever questions you want.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Give the lad a chance. Hes young, new to the country in lockdown with a hefty price tag over his head.
Can it be edited to put another option in that he has the potential to be worth the money, not just now

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah this thread is pretty pointless. We all know the current answer is no he isn't worth 35 million but that could change a year from now. Should we have spent 35 million on him given where we were at as a club? Of course not.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough mate! Apologies for the 'Yawn' comment

It's just the one thing that gets brought up most days

At present, 100 per cent 'no'. But I hope he proves over the season that it's a yes.

I don't think spending a lot of money on youth is necessarily a bad idea. But it is a bad idea when that budget is then taken away from glaring first team holes

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a pointless discussion. We have to support his progression and take on board he has just turned 19. It's not his fault a £35m price tag was placed upon him and paid by Wolves. He will know better than anyone that every aspect of his game needs improving if he is going to make it at Premier League level. I think he is still two years away at least and a loan at some point to a Championship team for half a season or more would do him a lot of good.

The club have to find another more mature out and out striker as an absolute priority in the next month. There is far too much dependent on Raul and that is very unhealthy for him and the team. It would also take the pressure off Fabio so he can develop at his own pace.

On the face of it you could argue that £15m plus add ons to £20m would have been a far more sane level financially. But it is as it is. He needs our support and encouragement and not threads that constantly drone on about his inflated fee. Mendes's carousel will always involve this kind of deal where clearly we were helping out Porto financially. Time will tell whether Fabio can lift his game and get the goals he needs in the future to cement a place in the first team and in the fans' hearts. He seems to have an excellent hard working attitude and sunny nature. He will definitely improve over time. But how good he can be is impossible to say as yet. For now let's get that striker in asap.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 3 years time he'll be valued at £100m and be nailed on to score 25 goals per season in the PL. Need some patience.
I'd agree.
Provided he doesn't: -
- break both legs
- have a mental breakdown of some kind due to the pressure caused by an excessive transfer fee.
-discover drugs, alcohol and women
-discovers pies, alcohol and women.
-discovers alcohol, women and local mafia bosses.
-decide his heart isn't really in football, and wants to something more fulfilling.
- or just not improve his finishing ability or hold up play at all.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No worries old chap. Yes one or two of the posts were OTT but the rest were not personal and attacking you…just the question. Just by bad luck you hit a small nerve. It’s cool.
Don’t let the responses stop you participating. Wolves may be starting the next phase of their climb to the top and it might be very exciting and you’ll want to share in the fun and banter.
So plonk yourself down there friend and continue to be involved and add your voice. :)

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve certainly been a major critic of the justifications for signing Fabio Silva but think this survey is a bit reductive.

I’d at least expect it to have a scale.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
You can't say never. John Richards joined Wolves in the summer of1969 when he was in his late teens.
John was on the fringe of the first team for a season or two, it took him a while to break through, we had Hughie Curran supporting Dougan.
By the time John was 21, he took his chance, broke into the first team in the autumn of 1971, and the rest as they say, is history.
So, I hope Fabio will find his feet this coming season, gradually establishing himself in the first team, becoming Raul's future replacement.

Last edited:

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the question isn't whether or not he was value for money, but whether or not he was the right use of that money at the time.

By way of possible analogy: if you have £20,000 and the roof's blown off your house, it'd be daft to spend £15,000 on a painting which may be worth £60,000 in five years' time. If the painting does end up being worth that much you can say it was a 'good investment', but you've been living in a house with an inadequate roof all that time. You might even have to sell the painting quickly and so obtain less than its possible value in order to fix the damage.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn’t it a bit arrogant to think Wolves spent too much on Silva?

Some Mixers have convinced themselves that we overspent…..but it’s just an opinion and by definition, opinions can’t be right or wrong.

Prior to getting him, we can assume there was countless discussions among all involved, analysis, god knows how many scouting reports, videos etc. Jeff and co. had access to info we don’t. They’re not stupid.
For god’s sake, they didn’t just plonk £35m down on a whim.

They know how to run a PL club……..…..and, well,……. we don’t.

Back
Top Bottom