Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by those who say they have seen 'flashes of brilliance' or 'cleverness' from Silva, because I haven't even seen 'flashes of averageness' or any sort of astuteness from him.
The things that a footballer, especially a striker should be good at after being brought-up at a professional football club since he was a kid; Silva doesn't show. He's neither fast nor strong. For a tall guy, his heading is woeful and whilst he gets into some good positions, his shooting often lacks power and accuracy. Centre backs must love playing against him as it's a walk in the park for them.
He is hampered by a fee that he didn't agree and being described as a 'generational talent'. Those are heavy burdens to carry for sure, but others have carried big fees and reputations and have gone on to live up to those reputations. Like all Wolves' fans, I hope that Silva proves me wrong, but a year on from Shi's folly, Fabio is no closer to being a wonderkid than I am.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For that £70 million we could have bought 4/5 very good players in the past few windows, giving ourselves far more strength in depth in the process. We could, I’m sure , have bought in a talented right back, a central midfielder (perhaps two), a centre back and a striker?

I do like Silva and Semedo, but let’s be Frank, neither has set the world on fire for us. If we’re being brutally honest, there is a pretty strong chance that neither ever will. I’m not sure anyone could say that's Jeff and co made a particularly wise decision looking at things as they stand certainly..

Sure if Fosun are totally bankrolling us and splashing some of their own cash about, knock yourselves out and lump £70 million on an 18 year old striker and a right back from Barca. If you’re not, and it’s the clubs own cash that is being invested, then you have to question whether this money could/should have been used far more carefully? Not least when you see the club starting a season with only 18 fit players and 3 CM’s, after hoping/failing to cash in on our best players like Neves and Traore to fund signings?

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And to think we didnt spend 35M now in the hope he's worth that in 3-5 years, but in the hope he's worth 60-70-80 M.

Mental that we cant buy much needed players because Shi decided he wanted.to.buy a player.

And like others, I like Fabio too
Fosun buy WWFC £30 million .

WWFC buy Silva £35 million .

Just a thought .

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought at the time that the Semedo and Fabio deals may have a hint of helping uncle Jorge out. I think I am right that he is not one of their agents but helped broker the deal?..
If that's the case where was his returning the favour on deadline day, or are we still in the red with him from Moutinho?

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe the over inflated prices for both semedo and silva were down to fosun/Mendes helping both teams out financially. Making friends with Porto and Barcelona can only be a good thing. Maybe we wouldn’t have got Trincao otherwise? Who knows who else will become available in the future.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would we sell either Fabio Silva or Nelson Semedo for a profit? Ask yourself that.

The latter now reaching his prime years, and the former has another year in professional football under his belt, plus a handful of PL goals.

I think the answer is no, and that’s a pretty good marker as to the success of their signings so far.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he will eventually be worth more than the 35m we spent on him.

No he wasn’t worth anywhere near 35m when we bought him.

If we already had a quality senior squad with sufficient depth in all positions, a modern 40k+ stadium, and 35m burning a whole in the bank, then he would have been an astute investment for the future. Since we didn’t, it was a gamble which left the squad weaker than it needed to be had we spent the money more wisely.

T

TheConcourse

Would we sell either Fabio Silva or Nelson Semedo for a profit? Ask yourself that.

The latter now reaching his prime years, and the former has another year in professional football under his belt, plus a handful of PL goals.

I think the answer is no, and that’s a pretty good marker as to the success of their signings so far.
I’m convinced that if you take the penalty Semedo conceded against Villa out of the equation then his reputation would be much higher amongst Wolves fans.

He rarely gets beat in 1 v 1’s, constantly gets up the pitch to support attacks and carries a threat. He’s a very good player.

I’ll reserve judgement on Silva for a year or two. There will have to be a stage where he steps into Jimenez’ boots that isn’t in a negative Nuno team. Not sure what people were expecting him to deliver in that side last season.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread is about Fabio Silva!

How come Nelson Semedo’s name, together with numerous negative comments about him keep being included in so many posts?

Semedo is class imo and for some reason some Mixers can’t accept it. He had a great game against Man United and their £70million wonder kid Sancho was substituted because Nelson never gave him a sniff. This could be a a great season for him and I hope some Mixers on here will eat their words In the coming months.

I think some of you are blinkered because of a love in with Matt Doherty who Nelson replaced. Yes, Matt scored a few goals but definitely had his faults defensively (languid, slow to get back in position are examples) which seemed to be acceptable and rarely commented on by Mixers. Those faults have been found out by Tottenham that’s why he is not playing for them Imo.

Leave Semedo alone and stop this negativity towards him. I just don’t understand it.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll say it again, pace doesn't make a good striker.

Young players reliant on pace have shorter careers as injuries take their toll - Michael Owen, Daniel Sturbridge, SEB (as a wolves example). Strikers that score goals regardless of pace are a cut above - Ibrahimovic (who recovered from an ACL injury at an age he really shouldn't have and still performed at the highest levels), Cavani, etc

In terms of Fabio - you've got to be absolutely blind to not see the flashes of brilliance. His awareness is top notch, the way he peels away from seasoned defenders to get into the positions where he's missed - you didn't get that from Willian Jose or Cutrone, and you really can't teach that instinct.

And while we're on about the Chorley game - the only wolves player that would have got into their squad based on that performance was Willy Boly, the setup made João Moutinho look like a Sunday league player Vs them.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll say it again, pace doesn't make a good striker.

Young players reliant on pace have shorter careers as injuries take their toll - Michael Owen, Daniel Sturbridge, SEB (as a wolves example). Strikers that score goals regardless of pace are a cut above - Ibrahimovic (who recovered from an ACL injury at an age he really shouldn't have and still performed at the highest levels), Cavani, etc

In terms of Fabio - you've got to be absolutely blind to not see the flashes of brilliance. His awareness is top notch, the way he peels away from seasoned defenders to get into the positions where he's missed - you didn't get that from Willian Jose or Cutrone, and you really can't teach that instinct.

And while we're on about the Chorley game - the only wolves player that would have got into their squad based on that performance was Willy Boly, the setup made João Moutinho look like a Sunday league player Vs them.
Well said

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This constant whinging about how Fosun spend their money seems a classic example of passive aggressiveness. Let’s just support the lad and give him till twenty one. Then we can pile in on him and what most likely be ex CEO

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You want to know what a good investment looks like?

Well, take a look at Max Kilman. That's genius recruitment.

Everything else looks ridiculous contrasted to that.

6 months ago he was on his way out, a single slide tackle Vs Son Heung-Min and he's the lovechild of John Terry and Nemanja Vidic.

But seriously, it took him over 3 years of development to push himself into the first team and people are writing Fabio off because he was flung into the limelight when he really shouldn't have been.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 months ago he was on his way out, a single slide tackle Vs Son Heung-Min and he's the lovechild of John Terry and Nemanja Vidic.

But seriously, it took him over 3 years of development to push himself into the first team and people are writing Fabio off because he was flung into the limelight when he really shouldn't have been.
Three years ago so he joined at an over the hill 21. Might be why he was so cheap!

Defenders rely on experience so he will only get better for 3-4 yesrs

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On your bike. I was lauding max for the past 2 years and change. Look through my past posts, you'll see that I don't need someone else's approval to form my own opinion. If he's my love child, he's one I claimed a while ago not now.

But with every game Max plays and in which he continues to prove himself an able and professional player, I keep getting the opportunity to tell you all...

I told you so.

And Mir is also another of my love children. He'll also give me the chance to say "I told you so". 10 million's worth. And, yes we should have kept him anyway, as the laughter at my proposition of him being the better striker on our books is progressively fading.

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Spending that amount of money at the time we did on ‘potential’ was in my opinion folly. I would think that every Wolves fan wants him to do well because they want the club to do well, but from what I’ve seen from watching him play he’s got a long way to go to hold his own and score regular goals in the premier league. I also feel that by spending the money on him that we did at that time gave us less money / no money, to spend on other more needed replacements which has been frequently discussed here on the mix countless times. Having said you can see he gives 100% effort for the team, and that’s always a good start. I see he’s beefed up a bit.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Silva, but don't think we'll ever make any significant money on him. Very hard to make a worthwhile profit when you buy so high. We just have to hope that Lage finds a role for him where he can thrive and benefit the team.

In contrast, I think the best young player we have on our books now (considering Neto's injury) is Ait-Nouri. Nurture his attacking instincts, play him further up the pitch, give him as many minutes as possible, and he will be a £50m+ player inside 2 years. Silva will be a solid, excellent player, but he is nowhere near the potential of RAN.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Silva, but don't think we'll ever make any significant money on him. Very hard to make a worthwhile profit when you buy so high. We just have to hope that Lage finds a role for him where he can thrive and benefit the team.

In contrast, I think the best young player we have on our books now (considering Neto's injury) is Ait-Nouri. Nurture his attacking instincts, play him further up the pitch, give him as many minutes as possible, and he will be a £50m+ player inside 2 years. Silva will be a solid, excellent player, but he is nowhere near the potential of RAN.
Is RAN your love child too? I have a couple of them playing with Wolves. Quick, lay your claim now, because then they'll accuse you of adopting him after John Terry praises him. Hands off Trincao though I claim him for myself.... oops too late, I see he's been taken.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree on Ait-Nouri having clear potential. Alternative to nurturing his attacking instincts, would be to build on his defensive side. As this seems to be his weakest point. You'll have an international class full back, then. Though if he just doesn't have the capability to be strong in the air (he's awful at the moment!) and do the crunching tackles, then he should also make a top level wide midfielder.

The contrast with having Ait-Nouri and Marcal in the same position shows this. Marcal is much more defensively solid, wins headers, not much gets past him. But he offers very little going forward. But when Ait-Nouri is out there, creates a lot more, much better crosses, however is very easily beaten.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score

We didn’t buy them for a quick turnaround and profit. I think both will turnout to be good deals, patience whilst they adjust is needed.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are a few things to unpick from this deal. Was Fabio worth £35 million at the time we bought him; absolutely no chance. I wouldn't even value him at £10 million now, let alone then. Is it plausible that he will be worth more than £35 million in the future; I think it certainly is, but only time will tell.

There's numerous stories of kids who are touted as the next big thing and never make it. Our Zeli being the perfect example.

I don't think any proper fan wants Fabio to fail. He's such a likeable character and I really hope he does excel with us. If I'm honest, I can't see what these scouts have seen as he looks fairly average to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

However, none of this can be blamed on him, it's squarely with FOSUN on this one. If he turns out to be a superstar in a couple of years, then they also deserve all the credit for that.

I think the biggest issue with this whole situation is the timing. There was no need for us to spend that much on an 18 year old during that summer, and if anything shows FOSUN's naivety. Even if he does turn out to be a world beater, it was a daft decision to buy him when we did as the whole team has suffered due to not spending the cash elsewhere.

To me, his purchase is the quivalent to Morgan spending money on the North Bank instead of players.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I believe the over inflated prices for both semedo and silva were down to fosun/Mendes helping both teams out financially. Making friends with Porto and Barcelona can only be a good thing. Maybe we wouldn’t have got Trincao otherwise? Who knows who else will become available in the future.
I think this is about right. There’s no way we should have signed either player for those sums based on what they can contribute.

I can only imagine that money is ‘invested’ in some Mendes scheme for the future, and one day we’ll benefit from it.

Purple Ronnie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nice little earner for Mendes. Trousered £8m for a player he wasn't even the agent for.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Nice little earner for Mendes. Trousered £8m for a player he wasn't even the agent for.
Which actually means FS cost £27million and I suspect there are other elements of that amount that were completely unrelated to his footballing ability also.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He showed some real pace before he put in that cross

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m convinced that if you take the penalty Semedo conceded against Villa out of the equation then his reputation would be much higher amongst Wolves fans.

He rarely gets beat in 1 v 1’s, constantly gets up the pitch to support attacks and carries a threat. He’s a very good player.

I’ll reserve judgement on Silva for a year or two. There will have to be a stage where he steps into Jimenez’ boots that isn’t in a negative Nuno team. Not sure what people were expecting him to deliver in that side last season.

for a lot of Wolves fans there’s a certain physical attribute that differs between Semedo & his predecessor meaning he has to pass a higher bar to avoid criticism

Back
Top Bottom