Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the question isn't whether or not he was value for money, but whether or not he was the right use of that money at the time.

By way of possible analogy: if you have £20,000 and the roof's blown off your house, it'd be daft to spend £15,000 on a painting which may be worth £60,000 in five years' time. If the painting does end up being worth that much you can say it was a 'good investment', but you've been living in a house with an inadequate roof all that time. You might even have to sell the painting quickly and so obtain less than its possible value in order to fix the damage.
When opportunities arise it is not always at an opportune time

el gringo

Reaction score
Google “best 18 year old footballers” and you will find many lists from some pretty big magazines and websites. Fabio Silva is on every one of those lists. Top teams wouldn’t think twice about outlays like that because it’s so low risk. Is he worth £35m? Yes, that’s what we paid. Time will tell if we make a bundle on him, or whether he is banging in 20 goals a season. You can bet if he is he will be worth double what we paid. If not, in 3 years time he’ll be a 21/22 year old with 3 years top fight experience whether that’s with us, back in Portugal or somewhere else. I’m not losing sleep on this one.
I did Google that and no sign of him. Please post some links. Ta.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might aswell send him to Grasshoppers till his co.tracr expires...

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
End of the day we can be critical all we want but the fee and the way he was dropped in the deep end were none of his fault and the club really made the situation much harder than it needed to be. I have been critical of him, probably too much but have to say I really like him and love his attitude and I am still excited to see what he does this coming season.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fabio scores 10 next season and assists in another 10 and looks ready to really kick on the following season he will be worth probably double what we paid for him.
Unfortunately it will also mean Wolves will probably cash in on their investment …. and so the cycle starts again, yes we benefit but it’s only short term and another club will get Silva ( RAN, Neto etc ) when he’s at his peak.
Good for the balance sheet…. Not great for the trophy cabinet
you wrote….
“it will also mean Wolves will probably cash in on their investment”

Why do you think that? Do Wolves have a history of doing that? You may be assuming too much.
If he comes good as you suggest, wouldn’t they want to keep him?

Last edited:

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did Google that and no sign of him. Please post some links. Ta.

3 more

Plus all the golden boy (such a weird name) shortlist articles such as this:

Golden Boy award 2020: the official 20-man shortlist

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How the **** will I know what will happen in the future.

Will he never be worth 35 million ever? Will 35 million be worth 35 million?

The question should be is he worth it now.

Trick question, with a predetermined response in mind.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The poll seems like it’s asked with bias. It’s not even a question, it’s a statement with a question mark on the end.

If (or when) he does kick on and a big offer comes in for him, will we expect his loyalty?

Let the kid play football, he’s already improved vastly whilst he’s been with us and his attitude seems to be superb. He’s a smart player, and I think he’s just got ‘it’, and in my opinion this is what we’ve paid for - his attitude, his intelligence and his willing.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some gold tinted views on here.

Had the Villa spunked £35m on an unproven kid and not signed anyone else of note we’d be ****ing ourselves laughing at them.
The other way of looking at it would be to say had Villa spent £35m on a player hailed by many observers as a future superstar of world football we would be praising them for their vision asking why our owners weren’t doing something similar

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't pay that amount for an 18 year old and know for definite what you will get. Knowles and Keane were outstanding when young and became pretty special performers, I wonder what prices they would have put on them if they were young players now.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Fabio will definitely be a superstar of the game in the future. He has a fantastic attitude and loads of skill and is developing very quickly in every area.

I find it very difficult to reconcile spending that money at the time we did if it more means we can’t strengthen the first team.

if that were the case I would contend that was an insane decision by Jeff. However, I’m becoming more and more convinced that we do have more money available and signing Fabio when we did is looking astute.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can't pay that amount for an 18 year old and know for definite what you will get. Knowles and Keane were outstanding when young and became pretty special performers, I wonder what prices they would have put on them if they were young players now.

For a genuine generational talent you would. When Utd signed Rooney, even if there was no further improvement he'd have been worth the transfer fee

Ignoring his fee, as a young player it's undeniable Silva's made some improvement. He's shown little flashes of quality whilst still growing from boy to man. If he'd come from our academy we'd generally be pleased.

While it's clear we overpaid, he's not the total flop I feared. There's still plenty of time for him to develop and prove himself. I just hope he can do so here

I can't deny I'm still disappointed we spent so much on him but I'm still hopeful he'll prove me wrong

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’ll probably be worth 35m at some point taking into account the inflation of value of footballers but never worth the equivalent of 2020 £35m

Not his fault though and can’t be changed get behind the kid still think there’s a very good player ready to come through.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No where near £35m or a time comparative amount as Porto/Mendes/Shi weren’t in cahoots during Knowles‘s and Keane’s time.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If in five years we sell a just-gone 24 year old Fabio Silva for £150m after he's notched 100 goals for us in his six years here, people will still say he wasn't a good investment and that we should have spent the cash on Ollie Watkins (who's just gone back to Brentford to help them in their promotion charge)

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could get 15 years of Fabio in the Prem! Wouldnt that be nice!

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With us, I forgot to add!

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's looking much stronger and more savvy now; his assists on Tuesday were composed & quality; and his turn-in-a-flash-&-shot was almost sublime. I think we'll start to see a lot from him this season and I hope - and think - he'll dish out some large plates of humble pie

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some fans are missing the bigger picture regarding Silva.

Just a few short years ago, did you ever think Wolves could take a £35m gamble on a 19 year? Isn‘t that fantastic?
Regardless whether he is worth it, what is important is that we can spend that kind of money.
Not too long ago we were looking for money under the couch cushions, getting money from pop cans and using Green Shield stamps to buy players.
Now Wolves are buying players from Barca…….did you ever think you’d see the day?

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think the move was too soon for us. We had just had back to back seventh place finishes, it was time to really capitalise on our position, not reboot. Look at West Ham, 65 points last term, that could easily have been us, instead we are now back in the pack and no better off than the Villas and Leeds currently.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You all need to remember that the true value of Fabio was £15 million. The other £20 million was money moved around between Mendez, Porto, and Wolves to be on the carousel. Yes, it cost Wolves £35 million, but this isn't what Fabio himself was worth so don't beat him with a stick for this.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You all need to remember that the true value of Fabio was £15 million. The other £20 million was money moved around between Mendez, Porto, and Wolves to be on the carousel. Yes, it cost Wolves £35 million, but this isn't what Fabio himself was worth so don't beat him with a stick for this.
I hope no one can be negative about the player who seems a very decent person. However total disdain to the club for this appalling deal - vastly overpriced for a player of modest talents and at a time when we were in desperate need of experienced players in several positions. Our current situation is largely due this nonsensical signing. Jeff you got it badly wrong.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope no one can be negative about the player who seems a very decent person. However total disdain to the club for this appalling deal - vastly overpriced for a player of modest talents and at a time when we were in desperate need of experienced players in several positions. Our current situation is largely due this nonsensical signing. Jeff you got it badly wrong.
I think you’re opinion is ott.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you’re opinion is ott.
Possibly so but only time will tell I guess. My prediction (FWIW) is that in the next year or so Silva will be sold at a hefty loss. Silva is a decent player but not as good as several Wolves players of a similar age over the years. Very happy if proven wrong though!

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
In my opinion Jeff bought Silva in the hope he’d do the same as Felix, in having a breakout year and sell him for a massive profit.

Clearly that hasn’t quite worked but that doesn’t mean Fabio hasn’t got some talent.

In any case he’s a Wolf now and surely the best way to allow him to show his talent and improve is for us Wolves fans to show him our love and encouragement, to his way he may also feel more affiliation with the club which surely would be an added bonus.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much this. We’re repaying / forward paying whatever. It’s not about Fabio - although I think he’ll be worth it in the end anyway.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will not know until at least 2-3 years down the linetime if this was a mistake as there are multiple reasons why we need to be patient until then, he is 19 years of age, living in a new country as a kid and now in one of the most demanding and brutal leagues in the world. What I do like about him is his progression he has bulked up over the summer and that performance he put in against forest reminds us what a talent he is. A season of playing in the cups and cameos will do him the world of good. Also transfer fees are going up and up, I agree 35 mill was alot for a club like ours to fork out but will be peanuts in a couple of years time for most clubs unfortunately

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
I think some fans are missing the bigger picture regarding Silva.

Just a few short years ago, did you ever think Wolves could take a £35m gamble on a 19 year? Isn‘t that fantastic?
Regardless whether he is worth it, what is important is that we can spend that kind of money.
Not too long ago we were looking for money under the couch cushions, getting money from pop cans and using Green Shield stamps to buy players.
Now Wolves are buying players from Barca…….did you ever think you’d see the day?
The good old war chest days .

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty confident the way the transfer would have been structured means it hasn't had the impact you're assuming

Additionally Fabio's wages will be much lower than a player commanding that type of fee would usually command, saving millions a year

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If in five years we sell a just-gone 24 year old Fabio Silva for £150m after he's notched 100 goals for us in his six years here, people will still say he wasn't a good investment and that we should have spent the cash on Ollie Watkins (who's just gone back to Brentford to help them in their promotion charge)
IF is the key word in what you say. IF is not the same as WHEN.

Back
Top Bottom