Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF is the key word in what you say. IF is not the same as WHEN.
It's hypothesis, you HAVE to use the word "IF" when hypothesising.

What isn't hypothesising is that some people are so entrenched in their view that if that situation happened, they would still say we shouldn't have signed him and he was a bad investment even though it would have undeniably turned out to be a brilliant signing (and don't pretend we could have waited until next year to sign him for a similar amount, because we couldn't)

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The transfer was the wrong time for our club as simple as that. For what it’s worth I think in 3/4 years he’ll be great but will he be here by then? For the impact he’s made you could have got easily cheaper and strengthened the rest of the first 11

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The transfer was the wrong time for our club as simple as that. For what it’s worth I think in 3/4 years he’ll be great but will he be here by then? For the impact he’s made you could have got easily cheaper and strengthened the rest of the first 11
Could have bought Paliniha and still had £20m left over for a striker.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips new column 'And nobody, bar the chairman perhaps, thinks Fabio Silva is the answer.' Crushing
Not to say he won't come good but who knows when.
It's not crushing, it's just saying nobody thinks Silva is the one to convert the chances we've been creating this season. You've read too much into it

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably the worst money investment decision made in the history of WWFC .Unless he proves a real Ronaldo.
Only because a proper goalscorer may have seen us come in the top ten last year and this year.
Our failure to score probably saw £100 million wiped off our investment value. Will we ever recoup that £135 million ?

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not crushing, it's just saying nobody thinks Silva is the one to convert the chances we've been creating this season. You've read too much into it
Sounds crushing to me .People seem to like him fair enough especially Jeff.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably the worst money investment decision made in the history of WWFC .Unless he proves a real Ronaldo.
Only because a proper goalscorer may have seen us come in the top ten last year and this year.
Our failure to score probably saw £100 million wiped off our investment value. Will we ever recoup that £135 million ?
Would argue that building the John Ireland stand was probably the worst ever investment decision in the history of the club.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds crushing to me .People seem to like him fair enough especially Jeff.
If you take that line in isolation it can look it, when you take it in the context of the entire paragraph, talking about creating chances but not working the keeper enough, then mentioning Raúl, Traore and Trincao's struggles as well as Neto's injury, it isn't

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a strange one. We were prepared to pay £20 million for Jose and offered £12 million I believe for Moore.
Fabio has, or will have, more value than either. £35 million I'm note sure. Never could understand why the fee was disclosed.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's strange isn't it. Most of us like the lad and really want him to be successful. Nothing wrong with hos attitude and I can see some potential.
Had we signed him at less than 3 million, he might even have been considered a great investment, that might turn out well after a few years, and a couple of good loans...

But 35 million (or whatever it was...)...

I understand that often clubs gets signings wrong. Pay too much compared to the actual value or output.

But in in this case, its so off, it can't even be classified as that sort of mistake. Either there was a different reason (payback to Mendes?)or whoever thought he was worth spending half our budget on needs sacking (and that includes Jeff).

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff was absolutely rinsed with Fabio.

Up to this Summer, I thought he was a shrewd operator and that maybe I was missing something with the Fabio deal as a result.

However, the recent window showed that Jeff is out of his depth and that ridiculous £35m deal is simply one where someone had him over big time.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff was absolutely rinsed with Fabio.

Up to this Summer, I thought he was a shrewd operator and that maybe I was missing something with the Fabio deal as a result.

However, the recent window showed that Jeff is out of his depth and that ridiculous £35m deal is simply one where someone had him over big time.
Not forgetting the 6-8M going to mendes to cover a Porto debt....... Who isn’t even Fabio’s agent

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The strangest signing since the loan of Sami Al-Jaber.

The timing, the amount, the financial restrictions it's caused. Pathetic

And I like Fabio.
I agree on both parts.

He finds himself in the unenviable position of having to contribute this season. Which no 19 year old should have to do.

He's clearly getting better and developing. But because of the price tag, it's never (realistically) going to be quick enough.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree on both parts.

He finds himself in the unenviable position of having to contribute this season. Which no 19 year old should have to do.

He's clearly getting better and developing. But because of the price tag, it's never (realistically) going to be quick enough.
I don't agree. If we're signing players that are supposed to be the dogs *******s, then 19-20 they should be expected to start contributing.
Too much mollycoddling of young talent in the premier league. See what dortmund and take a leaf out of their books.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem for me is that I don’t see flashes of brilliance to give me hope for the future, unlike we saw in Neto, for example, before he became a first team fixture. Hope he comes good and proves me wrong

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem for me is that I don’t see flashes of brilliance to give me hope for the future, unlike we saw in Neto, for example, before he became a first team fixture. Hope he comes good and proves me wrong
I disagree. I think it’s all too obvious he has a vision about a game that 99% of footballers will never have. The issue for me is that he doesn’t appear to be a striker, not in the role of Raul anyway.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fans have said they saw a flicker of pace in the pre season games. I think he is good technically, good awareness two footed. Lacks strength but he is improving in this area. Our manager isn't really using him much though.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafa mir took until 24 to get going and pedro goncalves was 22. Players develop at different rates.
But Fabio, for me at least, was starting to look more like the part at the end of last season. And Fabio is supposed to be in a different class than Mir.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. I think it’s all too obvious he has a vision about a game that 99% of footballers will never have. The issue for me is that he doesn’t appear to be a striker, not in the role of Raul anyway.
I agree entirely. His movement off the ball is superb. Some of his little touches are fantastic.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why spend money on a guy that will be of little use until his 23rd birthday ?
It’s the idea of tying up heavily restricted funds for 5 years that seems bonkers .

And to think we didnt spend 35M now in the hope he's worth that in 3-5 years, but in the hope he's worth 60-70-80 M.

Mental that we cant buy much needed players because Shi decided he wanted.to.buy a player.

And like others, I like Fabio too

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The signing of Fabio Silva and Nelson Semedo for the fees we paid at the time has proven to be absolutely bonkers given what we know now.

What I just don’t get is how poor was our strategic planning (we must have business analysts) to pump £50m+ into an unproven youngster and a right back knowing at the time we were very likely to be facing at least another 12 months of economic uncertainty due to the pandemic, and that we were still constrained by FFP issues we are still tied into supposedly (cough bull**** cough)… to sanction these signings?

I like them both, and want them to prove bargains, sadly the jury is still out on both.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the timing of those signings that made little sense then and even less now. Doc was not someone we needed to upgrade on then, so the Semedo signing was daft. He's good, a better all-round footballer than Doc, and worth at least 20m but not the price we paid to us at that point in time. Silva, well I honestly don't see how he was worth more than 10m. For a club in our precarious position even that would've been a bit of an unnecessary gamble but at the money we paid... sheer madness. Who knows, he might come good, but this isn't a risk we should've been taking.

My worry is that the stuff you can coach (positioning, timing of runs etc) he's decent at, and so the purists amongst us like him, but the stuff that's more natural and difficult to develop (pace, shooting etc) he's not got in abundance. I really want him to do well cos his work rate and attitude are fab, amd he's here now, but we've definitely been had.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Silva/Semedo deals were a complete disaster in the cold light of day in terms of stalling the clubs progress.

Perhaps Silva may come good and prove his worth but in the meantime the club has suffered from not being able to spend and our growth has stalled, is him being worth 80 million perhaps one day worth hindering the clubs growth for a few years? Of course not.

As for Semedo. He might actually do better in Brunos style but for the money and how terrible we were going forward then Doherty was infinitely better in Nunos set up and it was a completely pointless move in every way. Lets not forget we had also added Hoever that window as well, wasn't that 10 million as well?

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would argue that building the John Ireland stand was probably the worst ever investment decision in the history of the club.
It's into its 42nd year, so I would say that it's turned out to be the best.

R

reanswolf

In what way does he have a vision 99% of players will never have? Genuinely intrigued?

R

reanswolf

It's into its 42nd year, so I would say that it's turned out to be the best.
If they had built it at Molineux rather than in Park Village I would agree.
But as it wasn't I'd argue its been symptomatic if everything that was bad at Molineux.

Reactions: Ian

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice lad but not worth 35mil, especially as we as we've gone from carelessly splashing the cash to needing a wip round to fund transfers. Whoever sanctioned that move should be shown the door.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice lad but not worth 35mil, especially as we as we've gone from carelessly splashing the cash to needing a wip round to fund transfers. Whoever sanctioned that move should be shown the door.
Is Shi going to sack himself?! Surely it was Shi’s “project”. If so he was totally taken in by the agent’s spin (Mendes at a guess). Shows the average poster on here knows 10 times more about football than Shi ….. who amazingly has total control of running this club.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Shi going to sack himself?! Surely it was Shi’s “project”. If so he was totally taken in by the agent’s spin (Mendes at a guess). Shows the average poster on here knows 10 times more about football than Shi ….. who amazingly has total control of running this club.
Yep he should and even more convinced after the debacle of the transfer window.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Shi isn’t competent enough to sack himself.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he does, but they're less obvious than Neto. Neto is skillful and enigmatic. Silva is very very clever on the pitch.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
God knows why I'm commenting on this thread again - except that I feel I've been personally ripped off over the £35m paid for Fabio. It's so far wrong that I don't even think it's Jeff being ripped off by Mendes. There has to be more to it than that.

I remember paying ten quid to watch the Papa John's vs Doncaster last year (when FS scored twice). He was OK, but only OK and had absolutely no pace. Fast forward to the game vs Chorley and he wouldn't even be a guaranteed starter for them.

I'm a big believer in stats - and yes, there are stats showing Fabio as comparable to Mason Greenwood - but you watch them play football and it is simply night and day between the two. That we're now in a position where we can't buy Botman 'cos we've no cash is close to criminal negligence.

Fabio's a nice lad and you can't help liking him. But you can't help liking a puppy either. £35m my ****

Back
Top Bottom