Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton verdict

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Special mention for Doyle today. He played like a 27 year old experienced pro. Such a nature display, didn’t take any chances and always played the right pass at the right time. I was worried that we might get overrun today with him and Gomes in the middle but we showed you simply don’t need to match strength with strength; you can just play around/through it.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Special mention for Doyle today. He played like a 27 year old experienced pro. Such a nature display, didn’t take any chances and always played the right pass at the right time. I was worried that we might get overrun today with him and Gomes in the middle but we showed you simply don’t need to match strength with strength; you can just play around/through it.
Agreed totally but the phrase '27 year old experienced pro' is making me feel ancient

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question. How bad was Lage?
I thought Lopetegui was the Messiah but Mr O'Neill is getting much better performances from a very very similar side.

Fair play. We've been brilliant recently

I'm sure there will be bad runs again but 28 points by Christmas seems magical after we were on 3 points from 6 games!
Not a dig at JL, because he had a tough task in the circumstances..

But the same 4 players; Sarabia, Cunha, Hwang and Neto had a combined 7 goals involvements from 75 appearances under JL.. and they’ve had a combined 38 goal involvements from 64 appearances under GON. That’s a 5.5X improvement in output.

I think under Lage we were ever less effective up top.

Great to see us getting so much more out of the same talent.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a separate note how unlikable is James Tarkowski?!

Constanly throwing himself into dangerous tackles then moans at the ref's for clear fouls and looks to pick on certain players... proper ********!
Agree - I actually think he’s quite a good CB, but agree he is a bit of a ****. He was when he was at Burnley too.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the best, and most complete performance of the season, and was an absolute joy to watch. Say it quietly, but Gary is beginning to win me over!

A strong first half, with a successful high press, moments of exquisite skill and another well-deserved early goal. The criticism that we start poorly has been turned on its head in the last two games, with the only criticism that we weren’t more than one goal clear.

You can tell the players were galvanised, and their efforts in commemoration of Mario’s dad. Very classy celebrations for the first two goals. We played with a freedom and a swagger, and made an otherwise decent Everton look like pub players at times with footwork and one touch passing. Hwang, who was probably my MOTM, was finding all sorts of spaces. Had he been onside for the disallowed Neto goal, it would have been the cake-icer.

It was good to see a variety of scorers, included both centre halves, and defensively we restricted Everton to an incredible McNeil shot that cracked the post, but literally nothing else. We didn’t yield a single shot on target.

Gary, give us a wave!
This has made my day. Welcome to the GON fan club Jefe :)

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said, but credit not only to the performance but the fitness of the players. Basically every player in that starting 11 (except Doyle) has had a lot of minutes to play since Christmas eve (3 games !) and it would've been understandable if today their energy levels were low and we approached that game more cautiously. But we didn't and I'm chuffed to bits.

What a win!
Yep - that was something I picked up on. Our team look very, very fit. So full of energy and running.

There was a spell part way through the second half when Everton were down and out and we were just playing with them. If it had been a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
On a separate note how unlikable is James Tarkowski?!

Constanly throwing himself into dangerous tackles then moans at the ref's for clear fouls and looks to pick on certain players... proper ********!
Complete and utter knobhead. Heard an interview with him the other week and he was bragging about players he’d injured in the past.

SuziQ

Reaction score
That was a brilliant game from start to finish. Thought everyone was outstanding. Can't remember enjoying a game so much or when the opposition offered so little.

Also thought the atmosphere was excellent.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a dig at JL, because he had a tough task in the circumstances..

But the same 4 players; Sarabia, Cunha, Hwang and Neto had a combined 7 goals involvements from 75 appearances under JL.. and they’ve had a combined 38 goal involvements from 64 appearances under GON. That’s a 5.5X improvement in output.

I think under Lage we were ever less effective up top.

Great to see us getting so much more out of the same talent.
ONeil actively encouraged midfield and defence to come forward.RAN spends more time in the opposition half than he does in his own.
The fact that everyone seems to know their role is a big improvement.
Biggest compliment today is that we didn’t miss the player of the season so far Lemina.

Kilman has 2 goals in 128 game's

Both against Everton

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The moment that summed up the game for me was that amazing play out from the back, with Rayan giving a little flick inside then just bombing on, almost scored from it too.

Absolutely sublime football today.

Watching Rayan or Cunha pick the ball up 20 yards into our half and their only intention is to drift past three players and spread it is joyous from a Wolves player, let alone 2!

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've just found out, we haven't conceded from a corner this season! Are we sure this is Wolves??

el gringo

Reaction score
The Guardian match report:

"Everton’s back five was disjointed and slow on an afternoon of toil for James Tarkowski, Michael Keane and Branthwaite as they failed to cope with the speed of feet and thought in Wolves’ forward line."

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic performance.

Credit to the group.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a performance. Dominated from minute 1 to 99. I have never felt so relaxed watching a game of football (well, a Wolves one). We were in total control and some of the football we played was outstanding. Haven't enjoyed a game that much for years. Brilliant. Well done Wolves, well done Gary O'Neil. Thoughts with the Lemina family.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Everton before the holidays but when you get thrashed and your keeper is your best player by a country mile you have BIG problems.

Comment from the Everton ST holder who still, just about, works for me - poor guy watched that in the Canary Islands...

"You won’t have many easier afternoons…"

Back
Top Bottom