Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton verdict

Reaction score
Brilliant performance, could easily been 5 or 6. Missed some great opportunities.

GON has got us playing some great football, it's so refreshing to watch. That move that Gomes shot at the keeper in the 2nd half would have been the our goal of the season so far.

Gomes, Doyle and Cunha superb. Dawson immense.

Gary O'Neil's Barmy Army..
Gary O'Neil Gold & Black army!! Lol

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is one Hell of a photo. Including a rare sighting of Yerson Mosquera...

GCneoEfW0AANcI-

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that performance was raised to such heights and commitment due to the closeness in the squad and the genuine feeling of support for Lemina in his hour of need. That alone is so impressive.
Also clever of O'Neill to show them all the negative pundit comments at the beginning of the season which would have been an additional spur to proving the 'experts' so very, very wrong.

It is great to see so many smiles in the squad, in the supporters and virtually on here. We have all been through a lot as Wolves supporters over the years (50 years in my case) and it is so great to, for once, be able to revel in such a fine performance where a very decent Premier League team were literally played off the park. 5-0 or 6-0 would have more justly reflected that absolute dominance.

I was getting flashbacks of the best of Waggy, Hibbitt, Bailey, Dougan, Richards, Parkin and co-there can be no higher praise.

O'Neill has done sensationally well to raise this squad to a level where they are beginning to flow with some great one touch passing, midfield creatitivity and tenacity, and defensive strength and skill. Noone could ask for more considering the mess he inherited at the beginning of the season. And today was achieved without arguably, our two best players Lemina and Neto not being part of it -bar Neto's last five minutes.

The' pack' mentality is what Nuno was determined to re-create and for the first since he left that seems to be returning. O'Neill deserves so much praise. In interviews he is so humble and his total devotion to the cause since he came in is there for all to see. So many players have improved and look re-energised career-wise. His coaches too seem to have played their part superbly.

Of course there will be a roller coaster of emotions through to the end of the season and the loss of Hwang, Rayan, and Traore will be hard to overcome over the January/early Feb period. We have a tough league match away to Brighton after the FA Cup match with Brentford, but there will be plenty of time to rest and recuperate. Just hope we get some luck in the transfer market and Hobbs and co make the right calls to strengthen the squad, up front in particular.

For now let's just enjoy this moment. Could this be the year we finally have a proper run in the FA Cup- perhaps get to Wembley?Only dreaming, but wouldn't that be just great. This squad deserve to taste a lot more success and justice after the VAR/referee travesties that have cost us some seven points. That would take us to 35 points and challenging the top six.

Last call out to the fans. They sounded magnificent today and their support thrughout the season has been fantastic.

Happy New Year everyone.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Daughter got me a bottle of wild turkey 101 50.5% proof for Xmas so I raise it to
1. Jonzy 54
2. Gary Oneil
3. Mario Lemina
4 mutchy bod and the molineux mix

That’s your shots in
Might need to record motd
Lolz
beautiful drop mate. also like the makers mark 46 and double oaked woodfords

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Fantastic! Everton wondering how they didn’t lose 6-0.
Most pleasing: Doyle excellent; Semedo, RAN superb. Gomes awesome. Cunha fabulous, Kilman & Toti & Dawson immense, Sarabia looking real deal at last, Hwang developing into a real 9…. Sa unemployed.
AND Neto back, Traore looked brilliant, Bueno a joy, bench generally looking MUCH stronger.

What a day! NOW DON’T RUIN IT at Brentford!!!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most pleasing: Doyle excellent; Semedo, RAN superb. Gomes awesome. Cunha fabulous, Kilman & Toti & Dawson immense, Sarabia looking real deal at last, Hwang developing into a real 9…. Sa unemployed.
AND Neto back, Traore looked brilliant, Bueno a joy, bench generally looking MUCH stronger.

Silverstone? You close ? Son runs red lion pub in Litchborough?

WinchWolf

Reaction score

Speaking to an Everton fan on the way back to the station, he said that we had totally schooled them, he also said that he was level with the penalty area and thought both of the offside goals were onside.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the game I was concerned that it would be a game too far and without Lemina we would struggle against a physical Dyche team, particularly in midfield. Well I was very, very wrong.

We have not been that dominant in a game since Nuno’s era. At times we were playing total football, with full backs in the middle of midfield, Kilman making runs down the right and Cunha picking the ball of Toti or Dawson in the Centre Back position. Hwang played centrally and terrorised their back three and Cunha played where he wanted and where he could do the most damage. Doyle has come on leaps and bounds since he first made a couple of cameo substitute appearances and thought he was a bit slow and lightweight, he’s certainly neither. Sarabia again looked great.

What was also obvious was that they were enjoying themselves and having fun. I think Rayan was ****ed off with being substituted for no other reason than he was enjoying himself and fancied getting a goal or an assist.

Compared to the last 3 seasons this was a breath of fresh air experience. It was particularly pleasant against Everton who I remember beating us 3-0 at Molineux in 2011(?) and bloody Leon Osman scored a header in front of the South Bank as awful and humiliated as we were that day we were brilliant today.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the pub well.. my Mum used to be a teacher at Weedon Bec. How long has he been running it?
Ten years since it re opened after renovation
Big ginger lump! Name of Ben!
Him and his mother in law licencees!

Radmore farm his too

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ten years since it re opened after renovation
Big ginger lump! Name of Ben!
Him and his mother in law licencees!

Radmore farm his too
I moved down South in the 00’s, but I do go back that way still. Will pop in next time.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Genuine question. How bad was Lage?
I thought Lopetegui was the Messiah but Mr O'Neill is getting much better performances from a very very similar side.

Fair play. We've been brilliant recently

I'm sure there will be bad runs again but 28 points by Christmas seems magical after we were on 3 points from 6 games!
I don't think EQ is Lage's strong suit, to put it mildly. Meanwhile, all the evidence I've seen is Gary O'Neil can get a group of players to fight for each other.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An afternoon of lyrical football from the old gold.

Wolves are now starting matches with confidence, rather than the cautious wait and see which
had derailed the team a few matches back. Full credit for Oneil addressing this failing and
challenging the players to believe they could dominate matches.

It was clear from the get go that Wolves threatened goals as we were attacking with
five players, at least, with the wingbacks constantly pushing forward. The team were
also much more aggressive in their pursuit of the ball, with duels being won all over the pitch.

By contrast, Everton looked heavy and disorganised and even good players like Branthwaite
and McNeil were struggling to find a team mate.

Once a goal to the good, Oneil just bided his time until the game opened up as it had to, and
then Hwang and Cunha in particular and rest in general exploited the open spaces to create
a constant series of good chances.

Should have been more as chances were missed and players strayed marginally offside, but
it didnt really matter. Again a sign of progress as one goal wins have been a hallmark of the
team up until Brentford. Again credit to Oneil to build up the belief and employ the more aggressive
tactics that lie behind clear-cut victories.

Player scores:

Sa: Not much to do, closed down CL's one chance. 7
Semedo: Played virtually as a winger and Everton struggle to deal with him. 8
AIT: Impudent with the ball, looks to be standing on the edge of greatness if he can
become more decisive in the final third. 8
Toti: The usual solidity, good distribution, and more confident playing those short passes so that attacks can be unleashed. 7
Dawson: Excellent game defensively, some ambitious passes through the lines, and a goal and an assist. 8
Kilman: Another player who seemed to have a confidence infusion. Important first goal when it seemed we
werent going to put chances away. 8
Gomes: Dominant performance, full of feints and circus tricks, alongside the crusher role. 8
Doyle: Just kept the ball moving with sweet passing, and very good passing selection to boot, never putting players into trouble. 8
Sarabia: Created a sense of panic in the Everton ranks, with constant stream of clever passes and crosses. Its becoming rare for him to be caught in possesion, which was an issue when he first came into the team.
Cunha: Another to create panic, with his ability to take the ball forward so quickly. Excellent goal, which reminded
everyone of the type of goal the top clubs scoreroutinely. 8
Hwang: My MOTM. Looked like a serious contender today, pulling defenders all over the place, always available for the
out ball, and showing real strength in several challenges with defenders considerably bigger than him. Great assist for
Cunha's goal and very unfortunate not to get a goal himself. Superb performance. 9

Subs: All did well and continued our dominance. Exciting to see Neto cruising past defenders again, but special
mention of Traore, who I thought looked sharp and defintely up to the more attacking game now being played.

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't think EQ is Lage's strong suit, to put it mildly. Meanwhile, all the evidence I've seen is Gary O'Neil can get a group of players to fight for each other.
Main thing for me is the lads have bought into the gaffers game plan we have a winning mentality and a togetherness not seen for a bloody long time.

Looking forward to 24

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well. There has been a general improvement as the season has developed, with a couple of hiccups (West Ham and Sheffield). Today it all came together with quick incisive play and solid defence. Maybe should have got another goal or two but great to watch. GON is proving a lot wrong. Maybe too far behind for Europe but as our last top manager said, dreaming is free.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_231549_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230_231549_Chrome.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 151

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So weird how things change and yet are so familiar.

End of the year 2021, Wolves have conceded just 2 goals in the past 7 league games, are in 8th just a half dozen points off 6th, and about to knock out three consecutive wins to get within licking distance of the top 4, all under Super Super Bruno Lage. Five months later, everything has turned to **** and we're doomed.

End of the year 2022, Wolves emerge from the winter World Cup with a brand spanking new manager in Super Super Julen Lopetegui, beating Everton to reignite hope in broken hearts. Five months later, everything has turned to **** and we're doomed.

End of the year 2023, Wolves knock out 3 consecutive wins to be half a dozen points off 6th, playing excellent football under Super Super Gary O'Neil...

A plea to Fosun, please choose 2024 to be the year to break with tradition!
Haha! As usual we're either world beaters or gonna be relegated and the truth is inbetween. Think like that and 2023 summer will be ok.

Chelsea and brentford had chance after chance but we took ours and they didn't. Could easily have gone the other way.

Today was genuinely different. Yes everton were tired and had players missing but we played with a guile and speed that was shockingly good at times. And all 3 games have been good watches on the whole.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before the game I was concerned that it would be a game too far and without Lemina we would struggle against a physical Dyche team, particularly in midfield. Well I was very, very wrong.

We have not been that dominant in a game since Nuno’s era. At times we were playing total football, with full backs in the middle of midfield, Kilman making runs down the right and Cunha picking the ball of Toti or Dawson in the Centre Back position. Hwang played centrally and terrorised their back three and Cunha played where he wanted and where he could do the most damage. Doyle has come on leaps and bounds since he first made a couple of cameo substitute appearances and thought he was a bit slow and lightweight, he’s certainly neither. Sarabia again looked great.

What was also obvious was that they were enjoying themselves and having fun. I think Rayan was ****ed off with being substituted for no other reason than he was enjoying himself and fancied getting a goal or an assist.

Compared to the last 3 seasons this was a breath of fresh air experience. It was particularly pleasant against Everton who I remember beating us 3-0 at Molineux in 2011(?) and bloody Leon Osman scored a header in front of the South Bank as awful and humiliated as we were that day we were brilliant today.
**** was on comms for my stream lolz

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An afternoon of lyrical football from the old gold.

Wolves are now starting matches with confidence, rather than the cautious wait and see which
had derailed the team a few matches back. Full credit for Oneil addressing this failing and
challenging the players to believe they could dominate matches.

It was clear from the get go that Wolves threatened goals as we were attacking with
five players, at least, with the wingbacks constantly pushing forward. The team were
also much more aggressive in their pursuit of the ball, with duels being won all over the pitch.

By contrast, Everton looked heavy and disorganised and even good players like Branthwaite
and McNeil were struggling to find a team mate.

Once a goal to the good, Oneil just bided his time until the game opened up as it had to, and
then Hwang and Cunha in particular and rest in general exploited the open spaces to create
a constant series of good chances.

Should have been more as chances were missed and players strayed marginally offside, but
it didnt really matter. Again a sign of progress as one goal wins have been a hallmark of the
team up until Brentford. Again credit to Oneil to build up the belief and employ the more aggressive
tactics that lie behind clear-cut victories.

Player scores:

Sa: Not much to do, closed down CL's one chance. 7
Semedo: Played virtually as a winger and Everton struggle to deal with him. 8
AIT: Impudent with the ball, looks to be standing on the edge of greatness if he can
become more decisive in the final third. 8
Toti: The usual solidity, good distribution, and more confident playing those short passes so that attacks can be unleashed. 7
Dawson: Excellent game defensively, some ambitious passes through the lines, and a goal and an assist. 8
Kilman: Another player who seemed to have a confidence infusion. Important first goal when it seemed we
werent going to put chances away. 8
Gomes: Dominant performance, full of feints and circus tricks, alongside the crusher role. 8
Doyle: Just kept the ball moving with sweet passing, and very good passing selection to boot, never putting players into trouble. 8
Sarabia: Created a sense of panic in the Everton ranks, with constant stream of clever passes and crosses. Its becoming rare for him to be caught in possesion, which was an issue when he first came into the team.
Cunha: Another to create panic, with his ability to take the ball forward so quickly. Excellent goal, which reminded
everyone of the type of goal the top clubs scoreroutinely. 8
Hwang: My MOTM. Looked like a serious contender today, pulling defenders all over the place, always available for the
out ball, and showing real strength in several challenges with defenders considerably bigger than him. Great assist for
Cunha's goal and very unfortunate not to get a goal himself. Superb performance. 9

Subs: All did well and continued our dominance. Exciting to see Neto cruising past defenders again, but special
mention of Traore, who I thought looked sharp and defintely up to the more attacking game now being played.
Marks for the iPad?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What more is there to say? The only performance in recent years I can compare it with, is, as Tring has already said, the 3-1 demolition of Unai Emery's Arsenal in 2019. If you want to go further back than that, you are talking 50 or 60 years ago when we used to do that to teams for fun, and often on a weekly basis, scoring 5, 6 or 7. Well done Gary O'Neil, and every member of what he calls ''the group", for finding the courage and focus to play like that. The sky is the limit with that degree of self-belief!

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Best performance for ages, just a warning…..if Cunha keeps playing like he is there will be some big clubs after him. Loved the passing today but thought we stopped Everton playing with our positioning which is noticeable more and more, we’re becoming tough to beat.
Let’s not get carried away though but just enjoy the great win.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We don't get to many matches live, only 5 or 6 per season so the visit to Molineux today was brilliant, me and my 2 lads enjoyed every minute.
It's been a long time since I felt so comfortable during a game. Apart from the 5 minutes at the start of the second half, we completely bossed it.
Not only did we play them off the park, we also out fought a Sean Dyche team.
No poor performances, RAN and Cunha excellent, Gomes just shaded motm for me, I'm developing a real man crush on the kid.
Thought Doyle slotted in well, was a bit worried about him but he did fine.

el gringo

Reaction score

"Total Football" crossed my mind whilst watching that - I think on one, or two occasions when when Ait-Nouri showed up as a right forward. And also Tommy Doyle on the left wing in the build-up to the third goal.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't get to many matches live, only 5 or 6 per season so the visit to Molineux today was brilliant, me and my 2 lads enjoyed every minute.
It's been a long time since I felt so comfortable during a game. Apart from the 5 minutes at the start of the second half, we completely bossed it.
Not only did we play them off the park, we also out fought a Sean Dyche team.
No poor performances, RAN and Cunha excellent, Gomes just shaded motm for me, I'm developing a real man crush on the kid.
Thought Doyle slotted in well, was a bit worried about him but he did fine.
****ing A mate

Back
Top Bottom