Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It’s probably not too far fetched to suggest that Everton’s current woes started with Usmanov being run out of town, I suggest he was the main bailout merchant before it got all a bit nasty on the Eastern Front!
Oh yes, that's absolutely where their problems started as I understand the situation. Pumping absolute fortunes in, including the ludicrous training ground sponsorship deal that the removal of they used as an excuse for failing PSR. Shame Abramovic didn't get sanctioned years earlier.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t just be that though?
I never seem to remember them spending that much?? Admittedly what they did buy was poor.
Surely they could have a fire sale and bring in over £100m quite easily, even if they ended up relegated they would at least still be solvent?
It must have a lot to do with the stadium build??
I’m sure if you went back ten years on The Mix, even then we couldn’t understand how Everton had no money. Then it turned out directors were squeezing the Golden Goose for every penny they could. Getting dividends but using debt to pay for players and running costs. Similar to what’s happened at Thames Water, albeit at a smaller scale.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure if you went back ten years on The Mix, even then we couldn’t understand how Everton had no money. Then it turned out directors were squeezing the Golden Goose for every penny they could. Getting dividends but using debt to pay for players and running costs. Similar to what’s happened at Thames Water, albeit at a smaller scale.
Floaters in the Mersey?

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spending 21m on Allan and selling him for 4m, 2 years later.
Iwobi for 28m sold for 22m

Basically constantly making loses on players they overspent on. They deserve what they get.
Hard to criticise another club for vastly overpaying for players after our disastrous purchase of Silva.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the fact though that their fans forum still has a Summer 2024 transfer thread full of hope and more or less fanciful transfer suggestions.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to criticise another club for vastly overpaying for players after our disastrous purchase of Silva.

Difference is that was a one off. Everton have been doing this for years.

Beto 21m
Godfrey 20m
Allan 21m
Andre Gomes 22m
Gbamin 25m
Kean 25.1m
Iwobi 28m

the last 4 were in one season ...

This is the same team who spunked 27m on Cenk Tosun... Like I said they deserve what they get.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Difference is that was a one off. Everton have been doing this for years.

Beto 21m
Godfrey 20m
Allan 21m
Andre Gomes 22m
Gbamin 25m
Kean 25.1m
Iwobi 28m

the last 4 were in one season ...

This is the same team who spunked 27m on Cenk Tosun... Like I said they deserve what they get.
We've had some doozies over the last few years but at least the signings generally looked good on paper.

I don't recall a team overpaying so regularly for so much dross as Everton. Although Chelsea are running them close over the last couple of seasons.

I give Man United some of the benefit of the doubt because everyone ups the price by at least 30% when they come knocking.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both us and Everton were the ones heavily linked with Gyokeres.....it's pretty obvious we both made a mistake in not getting him for 18m.....I suppose in hindsight we could argue we wasn't in the financial position to do it.....

Everton were arguably in a worse financial position but in the meantime decided to spend double on Chemmiti and Beto.....very very bizarre...whist giving Sporting Lisbon the money to get Gyokeres...you could write it , if you tried...

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've had some doozies over the last few years but at least the signings generally looked good on paper.

I don't recall a team overpaying so regularly for so much dross as Everton. Although Chelsea are running them close over the last couple of seasons.

I give Man United some of the benefit of the doubt because everyone ups the price by at least 30% when they come knocking.
Which is surely the only criteria to judge them by. All of our signings made sense at the time, even Fabio, but some of those Everton ones looked like shockers right from the beginning, even before the players had signed

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the fact though that their fans forum still has a Summer 2024 transfer thread full of hope and more or less fanciful transfer suggestions.

There is an oddly blissful ignorance among their fanbase it seems. Like the lobster in the tank, ready for the boiling pot.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is surely the only criteria to judge them by. All of our signings made sense at the time, even Fabio, but some of those Everton ones looked like shockers right from the beginning, even before the players had signed
Fabio signing never made sense. Yes we needed a striker, but we didn't need to break our transfer record for an 18 year old whose reputation was all about potential, not when he was available seems earlier with a buyout clause of €10m.

the only sense I can see is it was an overpayment to make up for stealing Neves when we weren't in a position to pay his true worth.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im pretty sure Rooney came through the Everton youth ranks and it was United that signed him for big money from Everton?
He signed for Everton for a second time after Utd. He’d have been on £100k plus for that season.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect Everton were seen as a soft touch by agents with poor overvalued players .
Why would a premium player go to Everton knowing the clubs situation.
Chelsea and Man Utd have probably got similar reputation but at a higher level.
I think Wolves probably have got it as right as they can. No more O,Hara and Johnson types.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect Everton were seen as a soft touch by agents with poor overvalued players .
I think Wolves probably have got it as right as they can. No more O,Hara and Johnson types.
Agreed. It's equally important to get the right characters. We got Moutinho on £100k/week they got Rodriguez on considerably more.

db86

Groupie
Reaction score
it would not surprise me if they are waiting to get enough points clear of the relegation this season to offset any 9 point and further PSR deduction (2 points?) and then enter administration before the season is out.

Think they are ****ed beyond recovery with the limbo over 777 (who have their own issues currently) so seems the only logical explanation? Apparently there are a number of other interested parties who see them as a viable investment, but Everton signed an exclusivity agreement with 777.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a stat I saw when Moyes was there and everyone was shouting about the good transfer business he’d done as they’d picked up a lot of free transfers and there had a low(ish) transfer cost which suggested they’d out performed other clubs. Except their wage bill was 4th highest.

So think they’ve gone from low transfer fee but high wages to high transfer spend and high wages on the same turnover. Management 101 tells you the latter is the sure way to bankruptcy.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can only look on in amazement that a club like Everton have got themselves onto a terrible mess. Surely, somebody somewhere realised they were heading for a big financial crash. It really is sad to see such an old and famous club heading for administration.
Dodgy ownership hasn’t helped them still some shocking decisions behind the scenes. Maybe best for them to drop a few levels and clear the decks of those leaches

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope 777 keep loading debt on everton.
But then we get owners vs fans debate. Do we really want Everton to go bust or teams feeling they have to overspend to achieve? I’d sooner controls were put in and meaningful points deductions to stop the situation of debt fuelled excesses happening (I’m more relaxed re capital injected spending).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can only look on in amazement that a club like Everton have got themselves onto a terrible mess. Surely, somebody somewhere realised they were heading for a big financial crash. It really is sad to see such an old and famous club heading for administration.
It’s crazy!! I guess they got past the point of no return in terms of finances and had no option but to push through and try to get into the top 4/6.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The general overview of our signings and sales is a good one since Fosun took over. The opposite is true of Everton for as long as I care to remember.

This is reflected in how much each club is worth to a new buyer today.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Everton fan in the pub today reminding me that we're basically a second grade club and they'll be fine and making signings this summer, have to love them, NOT!
Well we are a second grade club, we're one of the ones trying to challenge in the middle of the table, sneaking a European place is our ambition.

What did he reckon Everton are now? A third rank club trying to avoid relegation every year, or a pariah club trying to stay in the division by breaking the rules using dodgy debt and teetering on the edge of administration?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But then we get owners vs fans debate. Do we really want Everton to go bust or teams feeling they have to overspend to achieve? I’d sooner controls were put in and meaningful points deductions to stop the situation of debt fuelled excesses happening (I’m more relaxed re capital injected spending).
Thing is, the sport probably needs a PL club to go bust to wake up and smell the coffee.

Back
Top Bottom