Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it would, but it might take a while and might be underused for some time. Most likely a US sports investor would buy it from the administrator or whoever picks up the pieces of Everton, and finance its completion assuming it had the funds to cover the repayments while waiting for a suitable tenant to bring in income. It’s far too big for the other local clubs apart from Liverpool, who wouldn’t want it now. So the owner would need to wait for Everton to be put back together and able to afford leasing it.
Perhaps the investor would buy Goodison too and progress redevelopment plans to force the move? The problem being that it is in a dump of an area and thus likely to be unappealing....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over 1bn worth of debts reportly?

Yep. About half of this is with Moshiri, who I suspect will end up with nothing.

My guess is MSP forces 777 out, keeps the stadium, lets the club go into administration to wipe out their debts and accepts relegation as a consequence. A new owner then steps into pick up the pieces in the Champ with any players of value sold, but a club largely debt free and still in Goodison. After a year or three, a revamped Everton get promoted and lease the new stadium from MSP and sell Goodison.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. About half of this is with Moshiri, who I suspect will end up with nothing.

My guess is MSP forces 777 out, keeps the stadium, lets the club go into administration to wipe out their debts and accepts relegation as a consequence. A new owner then steps into pick up the pieces in the Champ with any players of value sold, but a club largely debt free and still in Goodison. After a year or three, a revamped Everton get promoted and lease the new stadium from MSP and sell Goodison.
They are screwed even if someone else comes in. Serious issues for Everton

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seems quite plausible albeit that the promotion is, as we of all clubs know, far from a certainty. Certainly lots of current debtors are going to take serious haircuts.

The interesting question, should things develop as you posit, is whether MSP would wish to keep the new stadium for the long-term and if not whether Everton could raise the cash to buy it. If they couldn't then all bets are off over the new landlords and their driving motivations.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea how it's going to work, but the two options are finish building it or knock it down and rebuild the dock! So I'm pretty sure someone's going to find a way, the extra money that it will generate would surely cover whatever costs remain fairly quickly.

I get the feeling that this will cost the taxpayers of Liverpool a few bob

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool and Everton ground share option?

No chance in reality but probably a decent choice if money is the concern for both . Sansiro mark 2 half red half blue

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the scenarios discussed is that those owed money were also eyeing a share of Everton’s new £500 million stadium in lieu of repayment. If that happens they will be screwed as they’ll not get all of the income they’re expecting.

I hope they go down. They cheated, whinged and are trying to find ways of getting out of their own mess. It’s Portsmouth revisited.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the scenarios discussed is that those owed money were also eyeing a share of Everton’s new £500 million stadium in lieu of repayment. If that happens they will be screwed as they’ll not get all of the income they’re expecting.

I hope they go down. They cheated, whinged and are trying to find ways of getting out of their own mess. It’s Portsmouth revisited.

In the short term yes, but maybe not in the long term. If MSP or someone else got a (near) finished new stadium for much less than it cost to build, as the club went into administration and some of the debt was written off, then it might look an attractive asset. Sure it might take a reconstituted Everton a few years to be able to use it and bring decent crowds, but as long as the new owners can cover any outstanding finance and operating costs, then it might eventually pay out.

But as others have commented, whether it will prove to be good or bad for Everton should they eventually occupy it, is to be seen. They might end up getting to use a new stadium for far less than it cost to build, or they may end up like Coventry, in dispute with the stadium owners and eventually looking for another site to build a new stadium.

Last edited:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems quite plausible albeit that the promotion is, as we of all clubs know, far from a certainty. Certainly lots of current debtors are going to take serious haircuts.

The interesting question, should things develop as you posit, is whether MSP would wish to keep the new stadium for the long-term and if not whether Everton could raise the cash to buy it. If they couldn't then all bets are off over the new landlords and their driving motivations.
I’m not sure just relegation to the Championship would be sufficient. Administration is one thing, going out of business and then restarting as a different but same club without debt is another situation entirely. The latter could mean a League 2 start. I can’t see them being kicked out of the football league unless the other 72 kick up a stink.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure just relegation to the Championship would be sufficient. Administration is one thing, going out of business and then restarting as a different but same club without debt is another situation entirely. The latter could mean a League 2 start. I can’t see them being kicked out of the football league unless the other 72 kick up a stink.

I think the best example might be Leeds when they went into administration. A similarly large club who racked up debts so large, trying to buy success, they couldn’t escape without either going into administration or being taken over by a cash rich owner. In the end they did both, one after the other. I suspect Everton may follow a similar path, and hopefully they also get to enjoy the delights of League One…

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
There’s pretty much zilch chance of ground sharing with Liverpool. Anfield capacity currently 61k, Bramley Moor Dock 52,888 so bit of a non goer!

Everton as a going concern looks bleak to say the least and their new ground will most probably be mothballed until new owners, (not 777 judging by the latest reports) are found, relegation will just compound the issue so administration is a real possibility?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than Branthwaite, Onana and Pickford who do they have who other teams would want? DCL is a permacrock.....

Sell that lot and they would have been down.
Theyd get decent fees for Doucoure, McNiel and Tarkowski I’d of thought.

What could they get for Pickford? £40m?
Could replace him for £10m? We got Sa for £6m I think.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theyd get decent fees for Doucoure, McNiel and Tarkowski I’d of thought.

What could they get for Pickford? £40m?
Could replace him for £10m? We got Sa for £6m I think.
31, 24 and 31 respectively. Only one of them would get a significant fee in my opinion.

Yes Pickford could be replaced but given that he pretty much kept them up single-handed last season it is likely that the replacement would be worse.

Incidentally, and l have no idea where they would get the money from, Thelwell is reported to be sniffing around signing Donk in the summer. Perhaps seen as a cheap replacement for Onana?

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way they have handled their finances in the last 10 years or so is stupidly reckless and although i feel for their fans they do have a sense of entitlement built up over their long stay in the top tier. However plenty of other clubs including ourselves have had to bite the bullet for financial mismanagement and the Premier League shouldn't be shamefully going soft and moving the goalposts for them because of their history.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll roll over forever. We'd never get away with what Everton have.
They are part of the PL heritage same as the vile. Get away with what they want. I hope luton put some form together and relegate either them or forest.

How are you meant to compete in a league when it’s full of clubs trying to cheat and find loopholes? Clubs like Wolves and Brighton who abide by the law should be given financial fair play compensation for adhering to the rules from fines off those who haven’t. Sounds like that luxury tax they want to implement. We could of kept Raul, Nunes and Neves and lost 6 points big deal we would probably be 6/7th.

Unfortunately we was on the right side of the law and get punished with VAR instead. Makes you wonder if there is an agenda against us it really does. Every season since VAR has been introduced we’ve lost over 6 points due to wrong decisions. This cannot continue.

Yet tinpot run Everton get away with murder. Time the PL grew a pair of balls

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
31, 24 and 31 respectively. Only one of them would get a significant fee in my opinion.

Yes Pickford could be replaced but given that he pretty much kept them up single-handed last season it is likely that the replacement would be worse.

Incidentally, and l have no idea where they would get the money from, Thelwell is reported to be sniffing around signing Donk in the summer. Perhaps seen as a cheap replacement for Onana?
It wouldn’t just be the fees though, losing the wages would have helped them.
Your right they’d have a risk of relegation, but that’s better than going into administration, which would likely bring relegation as well.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What amazes me is that they have been in this mess for so long but made no attempt to cash in on some players.
They got £100m for Richarlison and Gordon which was great business (although to be fair Gordon has done better than I expected). They've sold others too, they just also buy players though, that's what puts them in a financial hole, although apparently doesn't provide a sporting advantage!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They got £100m for Richarlison and Gordon which was great business (although to be fair Gordon has done better than I expected). They've sold others too, they just also buy players though, that's what puts them in a financial hole, although apparently doesn't provide a sporting advantage!
Must admit I forgot about Richarlison…
Think Gordon only actually got sold because he forced the move?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are part of the PL heritage same as the vile. Get away with what they want. I hope luton put some form together and relegate either them or forest.

How are you meant to compete in a league when it’s full of clubs trying to cheat and find loopholes? Clubs like Wolves and Brighton who abide by the law should be given financial fair play compensation for adhering to the rules from fines off those who haven’t. Sounds like that luxury tax they want to implement. We could of kept Raul, Nunes and Neves and lost 6 points big deal we would probably be 6/7th.

Unfortunately we was on the right side of the law and get punished with VAR instead. Makes you wonder if there is an agenda against us it really does. Every season since VAR has been introduced we’ve lost over 6 points due to wrong decisions. This cannot continue.

Yet tinpot run Everton get away with murder. Time the PL grew a pair of balls
I'd have been happy with us signing Goykeres for £30m and taking the hit. He's now worth three times that amount and it doesn't surprise me.

Had we done so, there's an excellent chance we'd have the same net points as we do now (having took the deduction) and be looking forward to Wembley.

Good guys finish last.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I'd have been happy with us signing Goykeres for £30m and taking the hit. He's now worth three times that amount and it doesn't surprise me.

Had we done so, there's an excellent chance we'd have the same net points as we do now (having took the deduction) and be looking forward to Wembley.

Good guys finish last.
You’d know he’d get injured in his first game and be out for the season we’d be docked 10 points just because we’re wolves and end up being relegated

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good guys finish last.
That’s easy to say in hindsight.
If my memory serves , most on here were more keen on us pushing the boat out to sign Scott over Goykeres. That wouldn’t have much helped us.

Back
Top Bottom