Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not completely obvious to me how new rules compare to existing ones. If anything feels tighter as you cannot overspend (will depend on how much other expenditure is).

Also anyone targeting Europe will need to keep to UEFA rules not PL rules or be fined (like we were) or banned.

Bottom line remains it is not about owners cash but about revenue generation so designed to stop wealth funds. Key theme for Wolves is generate revenue - as before.

Not too much to see here therefore!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not losing at Wembley again is probably a good thing. For this season anyway… Even if we beat Coventry, Utd would wipe the floor with this team. Unfortunately that’s the reality the hope and anger that we will never know won’t change anything
Jesus wept! We wouldn't have been favourites against United but then neither were Cov against us...How on earth you can find any positive in not making an FA Cup Semi, is beyond me.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus wept! We wouldn't have been favourites against United but then neither were Cov against us...How on earth you can find any positive in not making an FA Cup Semi, is beyond me.
Because with a half fit team we would lose. Wait until we reach Liverpools standards to try and win cups. We could be waiting a while without new investments

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because with a half fit team we would lose. Wait until we reach Liverpools standards to try and win cups. We could be waiting a while without new investments
Sounds like we shouldn't bother entering according to you..... We weren't at Liverpool's standards under Nuno (although we were closer than we'd been for decades) either....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like we shouldn't bother entering according to you..... We weren't at Liverpool's standards under Nuno (although we were closer than we'd been for decades) either....
Realistically it would of ended in heartache and heartbreak once more. Fact we lost saved us some more of that for later years. We did well to get where we are. Even in the league let’s be proud of our achievements but we must learn about not making the same mistakes

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea have sold a hotel to BlueCo 22, another company owned by Todd Boehly, for £76.3m.

The Premier League have allowed that sale to be included in Chelsea's FFP and PSR calculations.

The league is rigged. There is no way we can compete with cheats like them.

Last edited:

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea have sold a hotel to BlueCo 22, another company owned by Todd Boehly, for £76.3m.

The Premier League have allowed that sale to be included in Chelsea's FFP and PSR calculations.

It's league is rigged. There is no way we can compete with cheats like them.
That simply cannot be true. Can it?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That simply cannot be true. Can it?
It's just ridiculous, but then it's all ridiculous, and to be fair it's no more ridiculous than when Villa sold themselves their ground for example. Just give up, the rules are so bad that anyone can get round them and if they are too stupid to get round them then the sanctions are too small to matter anyway.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s a joke of a league.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One set of rules for some, and another set for others. It’s a disgrace. It needs ripping apart by an independent regulator.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
One set of rules for some, and another set for others. It’s a disgrace. It needs ripping apart by an independent regulator.

Insane. £75m in agents fees! Thing is nobody seems to think it's dodgy as long as it's judged to be a fair price. So presuming you can build a hotel but not count it against PSR, but then sell it and use it for PSR. I mean that makes perfect sense right?

Anyway sounds like they'll be knocking down the Chelsea Pensioners' Home next, so that'll be popular!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The house of cards will fall. When it does, I can see the Premier League taking a hiatus for some time and there being no top flight football.

That vacuum will be taken advantage of by those wanting a superleague apart from what we have now.

Clubs outside the chosen few will play in a restructured top English league with the football league also changing form.

We have a huge mess ahead of us.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The house of cards will fall. When it does, I can see the Premier League taking a hiatus for some time and there being no top flight football.

That vacuum will be taken advantage of by those wanting a superleague apart from what we have now.

Clubs outside the chosen few will play in a restructured top English league with the football league also changing form.

We have a huge mess ahead of us.
I don't care if it all falls apart and the top clubs **** off to a European Super League. We will still be playing some team some where. So there'll still be a reason to support Wolves.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea how it's going to work, but the two options are finish building it or knock it down and rebuild the dock! So I'm pretty sure someone's going to find a way, the extra money that it will generate would surely cover whatever costs remain fairly quickly.
Think Coventry. Built a new stadium and it killed them. It often happens. Someone will buy it and lease it back to Everton which will suck them dry.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea how it's going to work, but the two options are finish building it or knock it down and rebuild the dock! So I'm pretty sure someone's going to find a way, the extra money that it will generate would surely cover whatever costs remain fairly quickly.

If they run out of money, then the most likely scenario is that the stadium remains unfinished until someone puts up the 100m+ to finish it. If that’s not a (future) Everton owner, that’s only going to happen if there is a club willing and able to pay the cost of leasing it. It won’t be Liverpool or Tranmere, so unless Everton can afford to lease it, likely it would end up like Coventry, Darlington and a few other stadiums built for a football club who can no longer afford it. A finished or unfinished white elephant waiting for Everton to find the funds to buy or lease it.

I think it’s quite possible Everton will enter administration. It’s reported 777 are struggling to raise the cash to pay off a loan agreement of £140m with MSP, which the PL have made payment of a condition of approval for the takeover. If that fails, then it’s reported MSP have a clause allowing them first dibs on Everton’s rotting carcass. Unfortunately they have debts totalling over 1bn, and MSP were unwilling to buy them last year because of the dodgy looking loans, so they don’t look like white knights. Normally the club’s owners could just let this commercial standoff play out, but they don’t have enough cash flow to cover their operating costs, never mind their new stadium construction costs. That’s why their latest accounts flagged a risk of administration if they couldn’t secure new funding. So if 777 and MSP can’t reach an agreement then Everton could go under in the coming months. Administration before the end of the season is an automatic points deduction and almost certain relegation. Relegation is a 100m to their income, so making their finances even worse for a potential buyer.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Think Coventry. Built a new stadium and it killed them. It often happens. Someone will buy it and lease it back to Everton which will suck them dry.
I'm claiming no expertise on the financing of this sort of project, but my memory is that Coventry FC never owned the Ricoh. Rents went up and Wasps used it amongst other issues. I don't think that will apply to Everton, so it won't make any sense for them to (just to pick some numbers out of the air) not finish the last £100m when they can sell 20,000 extra season tickets at £500 each and raise 10m a year and pay for that in 10 years.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm claiming no expertise on the financing of this sort of project, but my memory is that Coventry FC never owned the Ricoh. Rents went up and Wasps used it amongst other issues. I don't think that will apply to Everton, so it won't make any sense for them to (just to pick some numbers out of the air) not finish the last £100m when they can sell 20,000 extra season tickets at £500 each and raise 10m a year and pay for that in 10 years.

You’re right it wouldn’t make any sense not to finish it. But if they haven’t got the money, that’s may not be an option open to them. Plenty of companies can see a path to profitability but fail to secure the funds to get there, and fold. Trouble with Everton, is that I’m struggling to see a path to profits even if someone was willing to loan them the cash. It’s a massive difference to clubs like City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc who have wealthy owners willing to drop a billion or more to build or enhance a stadium and allow the club to reap the extra income without paying back the loans on commercial rates. In Everton’s case, they’ve tried to borrow via commercial lenders, and they’ve looked at their business plan and said they’re too risky to loan them the money.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
You’re right it wouldn’t make any sense not to finish it. But if they haven’t got the money, that’s may not be an option open to them. Plenty of companies can see a path to profitability but fail to secure the funds to get there, and fold. Trouble with Everton, is that I’m struggling to see a path to profits even if someone was willing to loan them the cash. It’s a massive difference to clubs like City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man Utd, etc who have wealthy owners willing to drop a billion or more to build or enhance a stadium and allow the club to reap the extra income without paying back the loans on commercial rates. In Everton’s case, they’ve tried to borrow via commercial lenders, and they’ve looked at their business plan and said they’re too risky to loan them the money.
Yes, sure, obviously the possibility of £170m turnover, that they presumably think might go to £200m at the new stadium, suddenly becoming £50m in the Championship makes them a much bigger risk than those other clubs.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The league is rigged. There is no way we can compete with cheats like them.
When I say we can't compete, I am wrong of course. We can compete, we beat them twice this year. They will probably finish above us most years, but we can enjoy it all the more when we do win.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t we acquire a lot of the land adjacent the south bank during Steve Morgan’s tenure with the intention of using it if rebuild of that end of the ground went ahead? Could we not sell that to ourselves?

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they run out of money, then the most likely scenario is that the stadium remains unfinished until someone puts up the 100m+ to finish it. If that’s not a (future) Everton owner, that’s only going to happen if there is a club willing and able to pay the cost of leasing it. It won’t be Liverpool or Tranmere, so unless Everton can afford to lease it, likely it would end up like Coventry, Darlington and a few other stadiums built for a football club who can no longer afford it. A finished or unfinished white elephant waiting for Everton to find the funds to buy or lease it.

I think it’s quite possible Everton will enter administration. It’s reported 777 are struggling to raise the cash to pay off a loan agreement of £140m with MSP, which the PL have made payment of a condition of approval for the takeover. If that fails, then it’s reported MSP have a clause allowing them first dibs on Everton’s rotting carcass. Unfortunately they have debts totalling over 1bn, and MSP were unwilling to buy them last year because of the dodgy looking loans, so they don’t look like white knights. Normally the club’s owners could just let this commercial standoff play out, but they don’t have enough cash flow to cover their operating costs, never mind their new stadium construction costs. That’s why their latest accounts flagged a risk of administration if they couldn’t secure new funding. So if 777 and MSP can’t reach an agreement then Everton could go under in the coming months. Administration before the end of the season is an automatic points deduction and almost certain relegation. Relegation is a 100m to their income, so making their finances even worse for a potential buyer.
And this is precisely why the Premier League are bending over backwards to try and keep them up this season.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And this is precisely why the Premier League are bending over backwards to try and keep them up this season.
Nobody is going to lend 777 the money against something that isn’t actually theirs, it looks like it’s goodnight ladies for Everton.

Now if they can’t cover the running costs of the next two months it will be admin. Almost certain survival for the likes of Luton who haven’t breached FFP

15th today was their deadline also a match day for them…. Would be a huge distraction if some bad news was announced before the game. How can they keep giving an extension just to let the crook owners borrow more money against assets they don’t own? PL grow a pair and flush them out.

Last edited:

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody is going to lend 777 the money against something that isn’t actually theirs, it looks like it’s goodnight ladies for Everton.

Now if they can’t cover the running costs of the next two months it will be admin. Almost certain survival for the likes of Luton who haven’t breached FFP

15th today was their deadline also a match day for them…. Would be a huge distraction if some bad news was announced before the game. How can they keep giving an extension just to let the crook owners borrow more money against assets they don’t own? PL grow a pair and flush them out.
It's a bit like VAR. They keep reviewing it until they achieve the result they want.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ala Chelsea and Villa. Can Everton not sell their training ground to themselves? Raising the money to build the stadium?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t we acquire a lot of the land adjacent the south bank during Steve Morgan’s tenure with the intention of using it if rebuild of that end of the ground went ahead? Could we not sell that to ourselves?
Loophole will be closed the minute after Chelsea get away with it. Might even have happened already if the necessary signatures are completed.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I want Everton to be relegated - they have skirted relegation for quite some time and got really lucky not to go down. That would kill off that new stadium, so Tranmere or Marine could rent it.
Would it get finished? I mean, what do you even do?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want Everton to be relegated - they have skirted relegation for quite some time and got really lucky not to go down. That would kill off that new stadium, so Tranmere or Marine could rent it.
Marine were my non league side for years. No other reason than my dad getting non league grounds in and me going with him - I liked their name, saw them win and that was that.

My Aussie side is Keilor, simply because there aren't many clubs beginning with K.

Anyway, I'm with you in wanting Everton to go down. In my more intense times I want them to go bust, but I'd settle for them plummeting downwards and out of the leagues altogether.

They can come back if doing so honestly and in humility.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not looking good for Everton, 777 or Moshiri. Frankly if I were MSP, I’d let the clock wind down, take the 51% equity or require the equivalent value in the unfinished stadium. The stadium, even unfinished, at least offers some tangible assets to cover what they’re owed. The club is deeply in debt and securing finance to get it back on an even keel is going to be extremely hard and expensive.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would it get finished? I mean, what do you even do?

I think it would, but it might take a while and might be underused for some time. Most likely a US sports investor would buy it from the administrator or whoever picks up the pieces of Everton, and finance its completion assuming it had the funds to cover the repayments while waiting for a suitable tenant to bring in income. It’s far too big for the other local clubs apart from Liverpool, who wouldn’t want it now. So the owner would need to wait for Everton to be put back together and able to afford leasing it.

Back
Top Bottom