Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Over a three-day hearing last month, the independent commission heard evidence and arguments from the club in respect of a range of potential mitigating factors for its admitted breach of £16.6million, including the impact of its two successive PSR charges. Having done so, the commission determined the appropriate sanction to be a two-point deduction, taking effect immediately.”

So a major mitigating factor is that they were an admitted repeat offender?!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Over a three-day hearing last month, the independent commission heard evidence and arguments from the club in respect of a range of potential mitigating factors for its admitted breach of £16.6million, including the impact of its two successive PSR charges. Having done so, the commission determined the appropriate sanction to be a two-point deduction, taking effect immediately.”

Independent regulator needed ASAP

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the mitigation is that they've already been done for two of the years as it's a three-year rolling thing.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the mitigation is that they've already been done for two of the years as it's a three-year rolling thing.

Yeah but it is a farce that each year the points punishment is going down…….

This wouldn’t feel so amateur if it was 2 the first time and 4 this time

That would show that the punishments for not improving worsen.

This shows so far that the punishment doesn’t match the offence of cheating FFP to gain an unfair advantage year on year if you are as brazen as everton

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand that is what their expensive KC argued however the EPL signed up to the three year rolling and each period stands on its own, or so I thought!

An analogy might be getting flashed by two separate speed cameras on the same road on the same journey and pleading that as you’d been fined and points added (!) for the first one the second one should be less even if you are actually going faster than at the first camera.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unfortunately yes, I think that’s what it means. Total kop out, as the existing rules don’t allow for taking into account prior punishment for overlapping years in multiple assessment periods.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes, I think that’s what it means. Total kop out, as the existing rules don’t allow for taking into account prior punishment for overlapping years in multiple assessment periods.
It's just ridiculous isn't it. Each year you know what you've done previously and how much room for manoeuvre you have. So each year you don't do that is a separate offence. The only mitigation for them is that the 21/22 season didn't get finalised until after the 22/23 accounts ended, but if they'd sorted it when they should have done then Everton would have been relegated. As it is with a half decent finish to the season they've got away with cheating for 2 seasons for a sanction that doesn't affect them.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They all say it's unfair because Man City haven't been punished but I believe they have a very different set of charges ( plus a load more ( and are defending themselves against all of them as is their right.

Of course it's taken a long time but maybe City will be strongly penalised.

I say maybe ..

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They all say it's unfair because Man City haven't been punished but I believe they have a very different set of charges ( plus a load more ( and are defending themselves against all of them as is their right.

I say maybe ..
Did you see it?

Possibly not, due to the Solar Eclipse, but pretty-sure I saw a flying porker.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bizarrely, ironically and some would say comically, if Everton go down cos of their points deductions, there’s a real chance they will go into administration … the very thing FFP is trying to avoid.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah but it is a farce that each year the points punishment is going down…….

This wouldn’t feel so amateur if it was 2 the first time and 4 this time

That would show that the punishments for not improving worsen.

This shows so far that the punishment doesn’t match the offence of cheating FFP to gain an unfair advantage year on year if you are as brazen as everton

makes you wonder if we did the right thing selling all the family jewels to keep inside those rules,
keep all the players and get deducted 8 points,

The whole set up stinks of corruption to me,

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had more apologies from Howard Webb than Everton have had points deductions. Truly laughable.
This is an important point. Football is increasingly decided by off the pitch decisions (aka incompetence).

However we have lost more points through no fault of our own than Everton have through wilfully breaking the rules.

That’s OK though. You coughed to it early so let’s make it a joke punishment to match the joke organisation that are ‘running’ (ruining) our game

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unless your a lifelong mega rich fan of a club or mega rich Uk football lover, I’m totally bemused and have been for a long time as to why you would invest in something that consistently runs up large losses, even when the club you own are successful on the pitch.
It’s far from perfect but I agree with the principle of a points deduction for clubs who significantly overspend more than the revenue received. Portsmouth are an example of a club who had a spell of success on phoney finance and are now finally on the brink of making it back to the Championship after years in League 1.

SydneyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Their breaches are less than $20m for each of the past two years. Essentially they could have sold Pickford or Branthwaite at any point during that time and been compliant, but would have significantly weakened the team. They actively chose not to (ie they deliberately chose sporting advantage over compliance with the rules) which makes the penalties imposed on them a joke. There's absolutely no deterrent. How much better off would we be if we had been able to rotate Neves and Nunes through the team this year? How Everton have the front to appeal the latest 2 points is beyond me. I would love both them and Forest to lose additional points for frivolous appeals given how lenient the initial penalties have been.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I say maybe ..
The whole thing is so complicated at the moment, but I read that the new rule changes due to be introduced will effectively let Man City off the hook, and probably Chelsea too. The whole thing seems utterly corrupt to me.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is an important point. Football is increasingly decided by off the pitch decisions (aka incompetence).

However we have lost more points through no fault of our own than Everton have through wilfully breaking the rules.

That’s OK though. You coughed to it early so let’s make it a joke punishment to match the joke organisation that are ‘running’ (ruining) our game
Coughed up but then appealed it. You couldn’t make it up.

Stingray II

Reaction score
The judge thanks the jury for their verdict, then turns to the defendant.
"You have been found guilty of the crime of murder, which you committed soon after leaving prison. This is a very serious crime and usually carries a heavy sentence. However, given that you have recently finished serving 25 years for a previous murder, the court sympathises and sentences you to five years in prison for this second, repeat offence.

Back
Top Bottom