Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
For all those on here and elsewhere who reckoned they'd overspent by hundreds of millions, the judgement is that they made a loss of £124.5m over the three year period, so 'only' £19.5m over the limit.

Do still wonder where that leaves clubs who were relegated and who might take legal action.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton now only above Burnley on goal difference

when are they going to take some action against Chelsea and Man City
We've already had 6 points deducted more or less from bad FA Ref VAR decisions..

As for Chelsea and Man City they are left alone that is where the corruptness lies in the PL ..

Because they have more financial discrepancies and more financial clout to get away with any punishment!

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good, means our club did the right thing in getting the house in order this summer. Also pushes us even further clear of relegation trouble. Should be a lot of Wolves fans feeling a lot more comfortable than a couple of months ago.
I officially now feel we are going to stay up.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could well imagine that it gets reduced upon an appeal, but it's a good sign that the league is finally prepared to penalise overspending. Everton have absolutely taken the proverbial with their signings over the last 5 years.

Hopefully this also brings a little more reality into some people's expectations of our spending in the windows to come. It can never be a good thing for clubs to build up sizeable losses, even if fans content themselves with "well the owner will just write it off". And frankly, with the revenue available to a PL club there really should be no need to not be able to run the operation with some semblance of profitability.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all those on here and elsewhere who reckoned they'd overspent by hundreds of millions, the judgement is that they made a loss of £124.5m over the three year period, so 'only' £19.5m over the limit.

Do still wonder where that leaves clubs who were relegated and who might take legal action.

Leicester City have previously said they would take legal action if Everton were found guilty, as I think Burnley said they would as well.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to Kieran Maguire on Sky, it sounds like it's not even transfer related.

It's to do with the interest from a loan from Moshiri over the stadium. Saying it's a 'technical point' from an accounting perspective.

Seems very harsh in truth when listening to him break it down.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's come at a good time for Everton . They'll still stay up this season . Listening to TalkSport .........they think they'll appeal and get some points reinstated.
Part of me thinks the Premier League Commission have done it now as they know they'll more than likely stay up .
Just hearing they are going to appeal !

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely vindicates our summer of getting our house in better order financially. I also hope the tap's been turned off on our
£35 million+ signings, as they've been underwhelming at best. We now seem to have a close knit squad, great team spirit, who are clearly buying into what the Manager is asking them to do.
Maybe someone like Shankland could be a shrewd potential signing in January? He may not be blessed with pace but he's strong and looks like he knows how to hit the back of the net.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can't see how Chelsea won't break it with the money they have spent last two years and still get no where need top four.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably merited but they've only got to win one game over Luton and Sheffield Utd. and they're back out of the relegation zone.

I'd say they're still odds on to survive comfortably.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to Kieran Maguire on Sky, it sounds like it's not even transfer related.

It's to do with the interest from a loan from Moshiri over the stadium. Saying it's a 'technical point' from an accounting perspective.

Seems very harsh in truth when listening to him break it down.
I have a lot of time for Maguire, and if this is true it really does stink. Using a technicality to apply a slap on the wrist while avoiding the real crime. Typical of the Premier league. They want to retain the bigger clubs. 10 pt deduction is not harsh. They will easily survive this year.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

According to the written judgement statement of facts, Everton themselves admitted that they had breached the limits (but only by £7.9m)

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Football fans are so tribal and hypocritical. Take a look at the Everton forum calling it corrupt, disgusting and political. I love the decision and I hope they don't get it reduced on appeal. While the Premier League need to sort out the Man City fiasco, at least it now sends out a clear signal in the future to clubs like Man City (again), Chelsea, Villa and Newcastle. Man City and their fans are always bleating on about them being picked on because they are rich, state owned, successful and upsetting the apple cart. Well this decision says otherwise. As much as I don't like Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal, they have always conducted their financial business above board (as have Newcastle up to now).

As for Wolves. we made some reckless decisions in the transfer market up to last January, but we owned it this summer and took great risks to rectify it. We risked a lot by selling some of our best players and most sellable assets and also allowed a world class manager to walk and appoint a much cheaper and inexperienced replacement because we were determined to cut our cloth. A bit late but we did the right thing and the club must be absolutely delighted that the risk has turned out as well as it did, or looks to so far anyway.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I have no sympathy for them.

We were obviously perilously close to breaching FFP and we sold a lot of players.

They were perilously close to it and they didn't sell a lot of players.

They cheated.
Worst thing is, this year they can take that 10 point deduction on the chin and probably stay up.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football fans are so tribal and hypocritical. Take a look at the Everton forum calling it corrupt, disgusting and political. I love the decision and I hope they don't get it reduced on appeal. While the Premier League need to sort out the Man City fiasco, at least it now sends out a clear signal in the future to clubs like Man City (again), Chelsea, Villa and Newcastle. Man City and their fans are always bleating on about them being picked on because they are rich, state owned, successful and upsetting the apple cart. Well this decision says otherwise. As much as I don't like Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal, they have always conducted their financial business above board (as have Newcastle up to now).

As for Wolves. we made some reckless decisions in the transfer market up to last January, but we owned it this summer and took great risks to rectify it. We risked a lot by selling some of our best players and most sellable assets and also allowed a world class manager to walk and appoint a much cheaper and inexperienced replacement because we were determined to cut our cloth. A bit late but we did the right thing and the club must be absolutely delighted that the risk has turned out as well as it did, or looks to so far anyway.
You're right about it being tribal, all of the Everton fans are saying 'what about this team or that team' none are actually saying they aren't guilty and yet are arguing about being punished

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In amongst all the negativity in the summer was it ever ‘confirmed’ that we had avoided the issue due to our out goings or are we still close?

Certainly seems like there was a genuine fear punishment could be forthcoming if a breach was in place.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not that simple though.

Everton have broken and disregarded rules that are already in place. Simple, open and shut case.

City have allegedly fraudulently inflated their earnings to avoid breaking the rules that are in place.
Agree, it’s not that simple. Could argue that blatantly breaking rules is the lesser crime than seeing and acknowledging rules, then trying to subvert them, while obstructing the investigation every step of the way.
That’s what I was referring to, they’ve shocked us all by actually dishing out a proper punishment for Everton. Their breaches weren’t anywhere near as severe as Citeh’s, if take all the inflated sponsorships and related 3rd party payments away from their real bottom line.
So it should be an even greater punishment.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right about it being tribal, all of the Everton fans are saying 'what about this team or that team' none are actually saying they aren't guilty and yet are arguing about being punished
The line about Man City is ridiculous. They’ve got to prepare over 100 defences. That takes time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Partly because they managed to get away with using Covid to mitigate more losses than was probably reasonable.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, it’s not that simple. Could argue that blatantly breaking rules is the lesser crime than seeing and acknowledging rules, then trying to subvert them, while obstructing the investigation every step of the way.
That’s what I was referring to, they’ve shocked us all by actually dishing out a proper punishment for Everton. Their breaches weren’t anywhere near as severe as Citeh’s, if take all the inflated sponsorships and related 3rd party payments away from their real bottom line.
So it should be an even greater punishment.
True, but until we get a hearing and then a judgement on that we can only speculate that Everton have been treated worse.

This should certainly make clubs wake up. A line has been drawn, a precedent set, so any breaches should be acted on.

Shouldn’t dismiss the fact that the threat of an independent regulator is lurking in the back ground.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Sounds like the PL are now going to look at compensation for related teams, who they told to wait until the judgment was made. They originally wanted the panel to rule last season, but the panel said they couldn't do it in time. Given the fact that this penalty would have relegated them and kept Leicester up I'd imagine you'd be talking going into 9 figures. That would hurt them a lot more than the points this season. Even more so if this scuppers a takeover. Not very sympathetic, but having said that the comments people make about huge transfers and driving a coach and horses through the rules aren't really backed up by the actual judgement.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering we started spending when Nunes went I would suggest we are fine yet still very close on the brink
Can see January being quiet unless we sell
I'm hoping we get a bit of an unexpected windfall come in....Podence , Guedes or maybe Silva .. .
We might be tempted to take reasonable fees for any of them, if it's done in January to help with OUR books and a transfer budget ....

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never Mind Oh Dear GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably a good season to take the hit for Everton; I still expect them to stay up.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said it before, but this is just the beginning of the saga.

Appeals, possible litigation from relegated clubs (not sure where the compo will come from? Everton? Aren't they broke?) and then the wormhole that Citeh and Chelski are going to open up (not us guv, it was a dodgy Russian oligarch, we're clean as a whistle) is going to make more back pages over the coming months.

It will be interesting but it devalues the game (again), where what happens off the pitch is more important than what happens on it.

Back
Top Bottom