Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even in the remote possibility Everton do get a points deduction, it won't be as big as the one we gave ourselves by engineering Lopetegui's exit and replacing him with O'Neil
We may well have hamstrung ourselves for no reason!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton will get away with it so will Man City big fines probably say 50/100m points taken off them would be nice but just can’t see it

PL did everything to keep Everton up played until they scored at Molineux total joke hate them

When villa stayed up it was the same PL VAR just stopped working oh yeah another sliding doors moment for them

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just wish someone would explain in great detail how Chelsea appear to be getting away with not having any FFP problems!

They’ve spent over £1billion in the last 3 transfer windows. They have obviously sold players as well, but still have a massive deficit.

I know the players sign long contracts, but how can they get away with it?
I wonder if the plan is to sell loads of them all to Saudi Arabia in a couple of years time. 3 year period and all that.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we've sold some of the family silver, refused to spend any money and it resulting in losing Lopetegui it would be a massive kick in the *******s if Everton got away with a slap on the wrist. We would have basically had the worst, buzz kill of a summer for absolutely no reason.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if the plan is to sell loads of them all to Saudi Arabia in a couple of years time. 3 year period and all that.
I think that’s called Succession Planning.

Chelsea can buy a couple of oil fields at the same time!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then he's very professional, impartial and good at his job, I'd say.
If only there were a few like him in the PGMOL ranks!!!

Yep!!!

If I remember correctly it was very Suits esque with what happened. Argued all the information of them cheating was private information they've received illegally so can't be used in court as evidence.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton’s punishment will set the precedent for future breaches, especially considering the severity of how far over the limit they went. A complete disregard for the rules. If they aren’t given a healthy points deduction then why will clubs care to abide by the rules?

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The people running the people’s game are so toothless and incompetent on so many fronts.
or to busy opening all those brown envelopes to even care. the whole sordid business stinks,

Clipboard

Reaction score
There's still the Man City thing going on with the mere matter of "more than 100 breaches of its financial rules" that the Premier League announced in Feb this year. According to the Premier League, Man City allegedly broke the rules over nine seasons. They allegedly didn't provide accurate financial information.
Its been going on for 5 years for Christ's sake! Unbelievable. Any mistake or overspend by Wolves though and they'll send the mobile court bus round and our feet wouldn't touch.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Needless to say, i hope Everton swing. They fully deserve to.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton haven't been found guilty of anything so far so all this talk of points deductions and massive fines is a bit premature.
I remember a football legal expert on Sky some months ago and he was confident they would be found not guilty.
The Premier league won't want them in the Championship and I imagine even if they're found guilty a points deduction is unlikely.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question, when people say 'the premier league wont want Everton relegated'? Why not?

What exactly do they bring to the table the the likes of Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Boro, ourselves dont?

All mid-big sized clubs that have achieved pretty much naff all in last 30 years, or in some cases much longer.

I get why they will fall over themselves to see City walk free, but Everton?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no chance of a points deduction. The powers that be would be too scared of legal action. They’ll get a fine and a warning
Big deal

Unfortunately I tend to agree. This is a historic breach, just like Man City. A points deduction this or in future seasons would raise the risk of legal action by those relegated or missing out on European places in the seasons where the breaches actually happened. Far more likely would be fines and transfer bans, coupled with a statement that points deductions will be part of fines for future breaches by any club.

It’s a joke. The PL, like many football associations, has always been a group of self interested clubs, who implement rules to protect themselves and their business. Anyone doubting this just needs to look at the rules and regulations that were proposed for the European Super League and “Project Big Picture”, which demonstrate the lengths these chancers will go to in order to protect their interests. Anyone thinking we’re competing on a level playing field are naive.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
There’s absolutely no chance Everton will get a points deduction, maybe a fine but nothing more.

Reason being it will bring the PL into disrepute as this has being going on for far too long and which they had suspicions.

Cover-up exercise if ever there was one!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone remember Rangers being relegated to the bottom tear in Scotland, now that would be justice ,
Might be wrong but didn't they get wound up and have to start as a completely new club? Hence the drop all the way down

I mean, I'm all up for Everton getting wound up and renamed Bramley Moore Toffee Apples but don't think FFP can stretch that far

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be wrong but didn't they get wound up and have to start as a completely new club? Hence the drop all the way down
Not sure now but I know there were financial irregularities, would love to see Everton in league two with the nice new shiny stadium :tearsofjoy:

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just checked Ranger did go bankrupt in 2012

floydstreet

Reaction score
Yes I guess that's why we've had a clear out.
You can’t retrospectively clear out though.
this is all related to a few years ago, so this year has no relation to it.

whether that means anything will actually be charged is sadly a different question

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can’t retrospectively clear out though.
this is all related to a few years ago, so this year has no relation to it.

whether that means anything will actually be charged is sadly a different question

Wolves are in a different situation to Everton. We haven’t stepped outside the FFP limits historically. The club, and some independent football financial pundits have suggested that we were in danger of falling foul in the next year if we didn’t recoup some of our recent spending, which is obviously what we’ve done. Now it’s questionable whether we recouped more than we needed to purely to ensure FFP cleanliness, but I don’t think many would argue that at least some positive net balance was required on transfers this year.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves are in a different situation to Everton. We haven’t stepped outside the FFP limits historically. The club, and some independent football financial pundits have suggested that we were in danger of falling foul in the next year if we didn’t recoup some of our recent spending, which is obviously what we’ve done. Now it’s questionable whether we recouped more than we needed to purely to ensure FFP cleanliness, but I don’t think many would argue that at least some positive net balance was required on transfers this year.
And an estimated £30m off the wage bill which will be significant if you’re annual turnover is circa £180-190m

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You know damn well for sure that had we been in Everton's position, we would have been dealt with very quickly and made an example of for future transgressors. Fifteen point deduction and a transfer window embargo would have been dealt out for us. When you look at how Chelsea, Citeh, Everton have behaved it makes you puke, a very similar scenario with VAR too, "oh, it's a smaller club, we can't give them any breaks.." In your face corruption and woe betide you if you say that to their faces, although it is true but, let us see what actually happens for Everton.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There is no chance of a points deduction. The powers that be would be too scared of legal action. They’ll get a fine and a warning
Big deal
I fear you're correct. The FA won't want to appear to affect the footballing outcome for fear of legal action, while conveniently forgetting that Everton have gained an unfair footballing advantage by ignoring FFP.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I fear you're correct. The FA won't want to appear to affect the footballing outcome for fear of legal action, while conveniently forgetting that Everton have gained an unfair footballing advantage by ignoring FFP.
Think it's the PL not the FA and if Everton are found to have breached the rules, then they'll be at least as worried about legal action from the other clubs affected if they don't act (although the possible sanctions being so vague doesn't help).

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Think it's the PL not the FA and if Everton are found to have breached the rules, then they'll be at least as worried about legal action from the other clubs affected if they don't act (although the possible sanctions being so vague doesn't help).
Ok but my central point that whoever administers FFP will be very reluctant to impose penalties that can be perceived as changing any on-field league position is still valid.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Forgive me if everyone else has found this out already, but apparently they basically aren't paying for anyone this season. Beto payments for example 4 year contract, payment start in year 2. Presumably none of that impacts on the charges for October 25th though.

Last edited:

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Everton fans aren't worried, they don't think any point deductions are coming. They believe the PL have to charge Man City before them. And apparently the PL have signed off on every transaction Everton have made over the last few seasons.. They had some independent consultant running everything by the PL to ok every purchase or sale Everton have made. There's a PL signature on every transaction.

This is only what an Everton fan relative tells me, no idea how true.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton fans aren't worried, they don't think any point deductions are coming. They believe the PL have to charge Man City before them. And apparently the PL have signed off on every transaction Everton have made over the last few seasons.. They had some independent consultant running everything by the PL to ok every purchase or sale Everton have made. There's a PL signature on every transaction.

This is only what an Everton fan relative tells me, no idea how true.
Can’t see that being true, but before Leeds and other clubs was going to take legal action apparently the PL said they have done nothing wrong yet they’ve been charged? Man City will get a hefty fine same for Everton.

Punish them by fining them 150m each (tv revenue essentially) and give 50% to the other 70 clubs in the football league and the rest to non league & womens football. So more of an example you make out of these two clubs the less likely others will want the same done to them.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£371.8m loss over 3 years according to the guardian when only £105m is allowed. How can the FA not act?
We have made such an explicit point of complying that we could sue (with others) if we go down, maybe even regardless. This prospect will hopefully make the league finally act to all but relegate its grand old team, God knows they have hung on long enough.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£371.8m loss over 3 years according to the guardian when only £105m is allowed. How can the FA not act?
We have made such an explicit point of complying that we could sue (with others) if we go down, maybe even regardless. This prospect will hopefully make the league finally act to all but relegate its grand old team, God knows they have hung on long enough.
If they don’t act then you can bet there will be legal action taken by other clubs

Back
Top Bottom