Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham back in the race for top 7/8 after a bad run.
Not sure who I think has the best chance, probably Newcastle if they didn't have so many injuries, so Brighton maybe, but then they've got European games same as West Ham. Chelsea could put together a good run but haven't yet. Which leaves us!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure who I think has the best chance, probably Newcastle if they didn't have so many injuries, so Brighton maybe, but then they've got European games same as West Ham. Chelsea could put together a good run but haven't yet. Which leaves us!
Chelsea have a game in hand on us and will go above us if they win it, I think they are favourites followed by West Ham. We haven't got the depth of either of those so we should be happy with mid - table.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally disagree with you, . I have been consistent , if that sounds better. You come across as having a strong opinion too.! But I won’t insult you for having a different opinion.
My opinion is I don't believe we'll get in to Europe, but I do believe we certainly have a chance.

In the original post I stated I thought 8th would be more obtainable than 7th (obviously).

My "strong" opinion is that we MIGHT get in to Europe, which is hardly strong at all. I thought I had made myself abundantly CLEAR in the OP.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our matches v Newcastle and West Ham could be pivotal. Lose both and we'll have a mountain to climb, win both and we're in the box seat for 8th at least. Draw both it changes nothing. We're capable of any combination of results, that's for sure.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea have a game in hand on us and will go above us if they win it, I think they are favourites followed by West Ham. We haven't got the depth of either of those so we should be happy with mid - table.
Happy with yes, but still a third of the season to go so we might as well strive to finish in top 6 see what happens. We can beat anyone on our day but also lose to anyone. Could've done with Cunha back for more games and no bans for Lemina or Semedo upcoming.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win tomorrow and the game for March 16th gets moved so bournemouth at home

So Cunha misses limited prem games and back for villa on the 30th

Its exciting

we are lined up to do well

If you look at our fixtures

next 5

Newcaslte away (european rival)
Fulham (Home)
Bournemouth (Home)
Villa (away)
Burnley (home)

we should look to pick up 9 points, if we are able to take points from NEwcastle and Villa we look very strong and very much on european form

Its points on the board and up close to 47 points with games still to play.

If we can front load points we can definitely keep looking up

Reaction score
If Bournemouth beat Leicester tonight our league game vs them gets moved regardless of how we do tomorrow

Hopefully we do the business anyway but it means there's an even better chance of Cunha missing fewer games!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There's still quite a few to play each other, so someone has to drop points in those.

We've only got Newcastle and West Ham left to play in that mini league whereas Newcastle still have us, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Utd and Brighton.

I'd say Brighton have the toughest run in on paper though.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's still quite a few to play each other, so someone has to drop points in those.

We've only got Newcastle and West Ham left to play in that mini league whereas Newcastle still have us, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Utd and Brighton.

I think we have a fairly favourable run in compared to some of the other sides pushing for Europe. We have really tough away trips to City and Liverpool and Arsenal at home, as well as a trip to Villa Park and of course Newcastle on Saturday. We have a winnable home game against West Ham but also home games against Bournemouth, Fulham, Luton and Palace and away trips to Burnley and Forest. None of those look particularly scary.

Brighton have 4 of the top 5 still to play as well as tough away games at Fulham, Brentford, Newcastle and Bournemouth.

Newcastle have to play all the teams around them as well as Spurs, Man Utd and tough away trips to Palace, Brentford and Fulham, but don't have to play any of the top 4 again.

West Ham still have to play 4 of the top 6 and 3 of the side s around them. Crucially though, they are away in all of those games.

Chelsea have really tough away trips to Arsenal, Brighton and Villa as well as an away trip to Brentford and have to play Spurs, Newcastle & Man Utd

Man Utd aren't out of reach as they still have to play City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and Brighton, as well as away trips to Bournemouth, Brentford and Palace

Over the last 10 games we are top of the form charts as well so we have a great chance in my view if we just get that bit of luck we are due. .

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not consistent enough and dont have the depth of squad to make changes either in or out of games.
We also have 3 of the likely top 4 in the last 5 games.
10-12 will be a great season.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
as he states in presser massive week with one day less recovery for brighton then straight into newcastle big test for the small squad

positive cunha on grass jogging, scan due next week

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not consistent enough and dont have the depth of squad to make changes either in or out of games.
Our results v top 5 teams this season have yielded 10/18 points. That sort of return suggests 4 points from those 3 games.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad not strong enough but I'd love us to do it.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm just pleased we're talking realistically about overtaking Brighton. When we got smashed by them early this season we looked liked two teams going in different directions.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My opinion is I don't believe we'll get in to Europe, but I do believe we certainly have a chance.

In the original post I stated I thought 8th would be more obtainable than 7th (obviously).

My "strong" opinion is that we MIGHT get in to Europe, which is hardly strong at all. I thought I had made myself abundantly CLEAR in the OP.
I agree with you on all of that. I just said we would struggle due to a small squad and being tired as we looked against Sheffield in the second half.
So I found it difficult that you said I was - negative, had self adulation , spoke total nonsense and my post was " pure speculation ".
That is why I thought you had strong opinions.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just pleased we're talking realistically about overtaking Brighton. When we got smashed by them early this season we looked liked two teams going in different directions.
Exactly and you couldn't have picked a better team for Gary to beat and prove the progress he has made in such a short space if time than Brighton tomorrow...

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read last night if a range of matches in Europe go our way ( the co-efficient) and dependant on who wins the CL, EL and FA Cup it's is possible, though unlikely, that European qualification could go down to the 8th team this season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with you on all of that. I just said we would struggle due to a small squad and being tired as we looked against Sheffield in the second half.
So I found it difficult that you said I was - negative, had self adulation , spoke total nonsense and my post was " pure speculation ".
That is why I thought you had strong opinions.
You should reread your post #188.

The language used is not that of someone sharing their opinion, but if someone stating a fact.

SEAwolves

Reaction score
Read last night if a range of matches in Europe go our way ( the co-efficient) and dependant on who wins the CL, EL and FA Cup it's is possible, though unlikely, that European qualification could go down to the 8th team this season.
Wouldn't call it unlikely, it's a little better than a 50% chance right now whether there's an 8th spot (4/5 chance of 5th CL spot, 2/3 chance of FA Cup going to a top 7 club). Need to push for 7th to make it virtually certain to get Europe

colincameron

Reaction score
Not unlikely really, England almost always finishes in top two and the Fa cup is almost always won by a team already qualified for Europe via the league. Which is all that needs to happen now with the Liverpool LC win; 8th will get Europe this season 9 times out of 10.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's highly likely.

You'd need some major shocks that knock English teams out of Europe to make the co-efficient fail.

Then, it's just about hoping a side that does finish in the top 7 wins the FA Cup.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly and you couldn't have picked a better team for Gary to beat and prove the progress he has made in such a short space if time than Brighton tomorrow...
They’re 2 massive games that define our credentials for the Euro push, either side of us in the table.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are THE form team. I fancy us to wualify

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get a win at Newcastle then I might start believing. It's ok the players getting up for the big teams, but they have to turn up against Fulham, Bournemouth, and Burnley.

I don't care what anyone says 10th will be a fantastic season. Selling £100m of players, losing Neves, and GON not having a pre-season the odds were very firmly against us.

As others have said, we just don't have the depth of squad and can't really change our style to unpick tight defences. We could well hit Newcastle on the break and get something, but I will lay you odds we don't get 12 points from Fulham, Bournemouth, Burnley, and Luton.

That is not a criticism of GON or the players, we are just short of options.

I really do hope that I am wrong, but I would take 10th if offered it.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get a win at Newcastle then I might start believing. It's ok the players getting up for the big teams, but they have to turn up against Fulham, Bournemouth, and Burnley.

I don't care what anyone says 10th will be a fantastic season. Selling £100m of players, losing Neves, and GON not having a pre-season the odds were very firmly against us.

As others have said, we just don't have the depth of squad and can't really change our style to unpick tight defences. We could well hit Newcastle on the break and get something, but I will lay you odds we don't get 12 points from Fulham, Bournemouth, Burnley, and Luton.

That is not a criticism of GON or the players, we are just short of options.

I really do hope that I am wrong, but I would take 10th if offered it.

No, it’s highly unlikely we get 12 points from those games. Title chasing teams don’t always get that. Arsenal have won 6 in a row and going top of the power rankings/form. Meaning it’s still remarkable for a title chasing team to win 5 or more on the bounce. Mid-table teams don’t do that.
But 8-9 is feasible and would probably be about par for where we are or sneak a place.
6 or less is probably equally likely, and would see us fall 1-2 places.
It’s the Newcastle game that’s extra important with them right behind. It’s a must not lose certainly. A win and we can start to believe. They made very hard work, and were made to work very hard, through 120 mins last night.
Dreaming is for free.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We are not consistent enough" ...

Our form over the last 20 plus games says otherwise. That is no flash in the pan - its most of the season.

BELIEVE!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say, the end to this season could end up being very similar to 19/20.

6th for weeks and going into the final game, then missed out on Europe on goal difference, despite finishing 7th.

With Man City and Liverpool away in our last 3 games, we might have to hope the title is decided by then and they are both concentrating on other competitions, but I can see this year going to the final game.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say, the end to this season could end up being very similar to 19/20.

6th for weeks and going into the final game, then missed out on Europe on goal difference, despite finishing 7th.

With Man City and Liverpool away in our last 3 games, we might have to hope the title is decided by then and they are both concentrating on other competitions, but I can see this year going to the final game.
It was Arsenal winning the cup that cost us as well.....a team outside the top 6 winning a cup competition.....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to win six more games to finish in the top eight (with 2 draws), which I hope will be enough.

It's difficult, but the fixture list isn't that bad.

We can lose any game in this league, but I think people are mistaken if they feel a Bournemouth/Fulham/Burnley/Luton will play similarly to Brentford/Sheffield United.

Those teams have a go, and it would be a surprise (maybe not Luton) if we have 60-70% possession, which is where we have an issue.

I'd argue of the last 12 games, there's only really Palace and maybe Luton where we will dominate the ball and the onus will be on us to break a side down. I say maybe Luton, because they surely have to change the way they're playing right now which is ridiculous. If they don't, happy days.

So that's not too bad from our perspective. All away games we will be 'allowed' to play on the break. Forest, for example, will have pressure on them to beat us, so it will be on them to take the initiative at the City Ground.

It's hard to be confident after watching us scrape past Sheffield United last time out, but we've won 50% of the last 20 games, so why can't we do it over the next 12?

The fixture list is as good as you could ask for with the exception of the timing of facing the big three, so I think we've got a chance.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is quite remarkable reading this thread right now; if I could be bothered I bet I could find a thread/s on here from Aug/Sep hoping we can avoid relegation! What Nuno did in his first Prem season was incredible but you have to think what GON is doing with inferior players and no pre-season is beyond incredible. We're talking today about a possible 7th place finish but the reality is that anything above say 12th/13th is a success.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Huge huge game this weekend, beat Newcastle will see us sitting very pretty with 11 games remaining, and in that 11 are:

Fulham (H)
Bournemouth (H)
Burnley (A)
West Ham (H)
Forest (A)
Luton (H)
Palace (H)

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is quite remarkable reading this thread right now; if I could be bothered I bet I could find a thread/s on here from Aug/Sep hoping we can avoid relegation! What Nuno did in his first Prem season was incredible but you have to think what GON is doing with inferior players and no pre-season is beyond incredible. We're talking today about a possible 7th place finish but the reality is that anything above say 12th/13th is a success.
GON and his team have done wonders. The backup from Fosun (for whatever reasons) has been very poor.
He hasn't yet been given one first team player and we have very few options after the first 11. Selling players in January and not replacing them was very tough.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wanted to figure out the probability of qualifying scenarios yesterday and couldn't find anything available already, so ran the numbers myself - overall we've got about a 1 in 4 chance of making Europe, based on Opta projections for which two countries receive an extra Champions League berth and final league table positions combined with FA Cup odds from Sky Bet.

View attachment 40778
I love how Maidstone are on the bottom of this! I know their chance has dropped to zero now, but even so I bet they've never come up as a possibility for Europe in their history!

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think inferior is a little harsh. If you could score quality then the top 16 now would be equal to the top 16 then, or thereabouts.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think inferior is a little harsh. If you could score quality then the top 16 now would be equal to the top 16 then, or thereabouts.
I think it is generally accepted on here that Nuno's team was superior in most areas to our team now. Thinking about it I'd probably pick every Nuno player ahead of any of GONs, which makes his performance as coach all the more remarkable.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON and his team have done wonders. The backup from Fosun (for whatever reasons) has been very poor.
He hasn't yet been given one first team player and we have very few options after the first 11. Selling players in January and not replacing them was very tough.
It’s a team game
GON and Fosun have worked wonders between them

Back
Top Bottom