Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's that time of year again when someone has to stick their head above the parapet, so it may as well be me...

We all know about a fifth CL spot being awarded to the nation with the best best performance in Europe this season, so let's assume it's England...

The current top five seems the most likely final top five, three of which have a good chance of winning their European trophies this season, which is completely irrelevant anyway unless any slip out of the top five...

EL places would then be awarded to 6th and FA Cup winners (or 7th if the Cup winners were in the top six.

Should Liverpool win the Carabao Cup, would 8th be awarded the Conference League spot? or 7th at the the expense of a EL place?

I ask because we actually find ourselves in with a chance of European football but it's easier to finish 8th than 7th obviously.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have a chance of 7th, a good chance of 8th and a marginal chance of 6th. I must admit to not being able to offer any clarity on how the places for Europe are allocated.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
No top 7 only.
Only way for 8th to qualify is for Liverpool or City to win their European trophy & they drop out of the top 7.

No I repeat no

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Step too far this season but the fact that we’re discussing it in February shows what a great job O’Neil and Hobbs have done. This year was always just about being solid and getting into a stronger position for next season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance, yesterday’s game told us that we are likely to be inconsistent for the rest of the season; we will think we can make it again sometime in the next month or two but ultimately I don’t think we’ve got the squad depth or quality to launch a realistic challenge.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance, yesterday’s game told us that we are likely to be inconsistent for the rest of the season; we will think we can make it again sometime in the next month or two but ultimately I don’t think we’ve got the squad depth or quality to launch a realistic challenge.
Close the thread we won’t hit 50 points

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All in for the cup. would be resting players in the Sheffield United match if I was in charge and prem team selection/politics aside. Boubacar, Bueno, Doherty, bellegarde, would play all of them in that match and go all guns blazing Vs Brighton and hopefully catch them tired. Still should be good enough to win against Sheffield United and gives us more chance in the more meaningful game against Brighton.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All in for the cup. would be resting players in the Sheffield United match if I was in charge and prem team selection/politics aside. Boubacar, Bueno, Doherty, bellegarde, would play all of them in that match and go all guns blazing Vs Brighton and hopefully catch them tired. Still should be good enough to win against Sheffield United and gives us more chance in the more meaningful game against Brighton.
Sheff Utd just won 3-1 away at Luton. They are fighting for their lives. I wouldn't be resting players against them

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
The loss away to them should remind us of how dangerous sides fighting for their lives are

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until we are mathematically safe from any lingering risk of relegation l absolutely agree.
But that wasn't my reason. With 35 points we will probably be safe, with 40 we certainly will be. To get 40 points we need 2 wins and 2 draws from 14 games.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair l didn't say that it was your reason. I fully accept that we are pretty much safe. I'd just like the certainly sooner rather than later.
Well unless we turn overnight into the Derby County of 2007 (who got 11 points over the entire PL season), we are not going down. But I still wouldn't be resting players. That's for pride, but also because every place in the table is worth money. Rotation though, is a different matter. I would be rotating Doyle and Gomes in midfield, for example, depending on who we are playing, and I'd tell them that's what I was doing so they don't get the wrong idea.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There does seem to be a trend in that direction. For sure next year's PL will be more competitive with no no-hope teams too.
Well luton will stay up maybe burnley too when Everton and Forest get more points taken off..

Unfortunately teams coming up much stronger

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This time last year everyone was fretting about Burnley being good.
Leicester and Leeds are both looking half decent tbf. Southampton and Ipswich would also be no fools imo.
We just need to build on what we have so any Neto (or other) money would be helpful in achieving the next level.
As for "European Qualification" , ask me this time next year as I really can't see us getting anywhere near this season.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sheff Utd just won 3-1 away at Luton. They are fighting for their lives. I wouldn't be resting players against them
True but it's just not as important as the Brighton game. With Brighton playing on the Saturday giving them an extra days rest and our players potentially tiring already I would just rather rotate and rest a few. Others still should be good enough. Also shows why the big clubs always progress because they have the options to rotate at times like this with very little drop off in quality. Sheff UTD gonna sit in and be physical too.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a testament to the job the manager and coaching staff have done that European football is ever being talked about.

How dare you come on The Mix less than 24 hours after a defeat with your glass half full attitude giving out fulsome praise to the Director of football and the coaching staff. Surely after all these years on here you should know never to offer any sort of praise following a defeat. The standard dress code after any loss on here is sackcloth and ashes !!!!!!!!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How dare you come on The Mix less than 24 hours after a defeat with your glass half full attitude giving out fulsome praise to the Director of football and the coaching staff. Surely after all these years on here you should know never to offer any sort of praise following a defeat. The standard dress code after any loss on here is sackcloth and ashes !!!!!!!!

I offer my humble apologies, and consider myself duly admonished… :)

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a testament to the job the manager and coaching staff have done that European football is ever being talked about.
Most i would suggest are realistic about our present situation and dont think we have the squad right now to be European contenders despite our recent success.
Mid table finish is still where i see us with a hope that one fine day we'll be back on the streets of Istanbul, Rome and Madrid etc.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get this 5th champions league place does 6th become Europa league, 7th becomes the FA cup Europa league and 8th becomes the League cup Conference league place or do we just lost a Europa league place?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get this 5th champions league place does 6th become Europa league, 7th becomes the FA cup Europa league and 8th becomes the League cup Conference league place or do we just lost a Europa league place?

Apparently not. Stays at 7th.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that was or mixed in to the change that happened the year after we got in, which meant we didn't get into Europe.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently not. Stays at 7th.
Cheers.

Guessing we lose the Europa league place via the league (usually 5th place)

So the perfect scenario is the following in order

Chelsea win the League Cup
England gains a 5th CL place
Wolves win FA Cup (Newcastle or Brighton as a back up option)
Man Utd pip Villa to 5th place on the final day
Villa losing to Ajax in the Conference final.

Villa fail to qualify for Europe and have to sell a number of players in the summer.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does winning the FA Cup qualify you? I've lost track! If so, that is more likely than qualifying on league position. All we need to do is win four more Cup games!
Common sense as usual. Every ****ing season I bang on about the importance of the Cups but we rarely if ever take them that seriously. Like about 12 other Prem clubs our only genuine chance of silverware, Europe, glory is via one of the Cups so lets win the next 4 Cup games and light up Wembley. Oh, and Europe via the league, no chance.

Back
Top Bottom