Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing that 4 years today was a 4-0 thrashing of Espanyol through a Jota Hattrick and Neves piledriver, it’s nice just to dream that we have a sniff of getting back the passports out.

Think our best route is through the FA Cup but anything is possible with the way we are playing in the League - providing we don’t slip up to sides like Sheffield United again!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing that 4 years today was a 4-0 thrashing of Espanyol through a Jota Hattrick and Neves piledriver, it’s nice just to dream that we have a sniff of getting back the passports out.

Think our best route is through the FA Cup but anything is possible with the way we are playing in the League - providing we don’t slip up to sides like Sheffield United again!
While Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool are still in it I'd disagree about the Cup being our best route into Europe. After the weekend's fixtures we are likely to be 8th and only 3 points off Brighton in 7th.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score
Our remaining fixtures actually look quite good with only city away, Liverpool away and Arsenal at home (we owe them one surely? And we have beaten the other two recently!).

Is is the ‘easier’ games we tend to struggle with though isn’t it. Hopefully we put an end to that this weekend and can set the tone for the remaining fixtures!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever people bring up Europe, I tend to poo poo it.....that said, whenever we win a few and those above stumble, I can't help but get a bit excited at the prospect.
Reality is, it is unlikely but also possible. At least it keeps the season alive along with our cup run.
We're not suggesting Champions League. There's a chance we'll finish in a position we're 3 points off of right now though.

It's hardly a stretch is it?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Mirror reporting that presently England lie 3rd in this co-efficient thing for the extra European place, behind Italy and Germany. I understand this can change but just our luck to finish 8th and the last European spot was 7th!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Mirror reporting that presently England lie 3rd in this co-efficient thing for the extra European place, behind Italy and Germany. I understand this can change but just our luck to finish 8th and the last European spot was 7th!
This is at present yes. These few weeks alongside UCL Last 16 are the Europa League and Conference League Play-Off’s, which there are no English sides in.

Suspect it could be down to how many of our’s is in all 3 comps Quarter-Finals, with albeit Newcastle and Man Utd having got through.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suspect England will finish top two in that coefficient with clubs likely to go deep in all three comps.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have not remotely thought about European Football this season yet. Just has not occurred to me. I think to be honest, my mind the last month has been completely on the fixture against them lot down the road and the aftermath of celebrating and savouring it since.

But since Saturday, I have been daring to dream this morning. Almost kicking myself at the dropped points against Man Utd/Brentford too, probably only now those results have bothered me because I was still on a high from the Sandwell win.
But looking back on those two dropped points, it has changed my way of thinking, suddenly.

Had a look at our fixtures. We really have points to fight for. Do we have a chance? Maybe, just maybe.

When looking at the remaining fixtures and taking into account "typical Wolves", I think we have around 17-19 points that is more than achievable. To some that may seem low, some perhaps even too high? But I am honestly of the opinion that Sheff Utd will come to us on Sunday and get a ****house point. These types of games have always been our achilles heel and to be honest, that could be what kills any hope. However, get wins in those games, we really could be onto something.

But taking my 17-19 point prediction, that would leave us on 52-54 points. In the years since we have been back in the Premier League, that gets us anything between 8th - 11th spot.

Could be an interesting last 13 games of the season. I dont want to go down this road and end on a negative, but with the form at the moment of RAN, Gomes and Neto and the fact I think we will do well to see any of them with us next season, I really do think it is so disappointing we couldnt add to the frontline, with those three and a number 9, I think we could really have a serious shot.

But in any case, I am looking forward to enjoying these last 2-3 months. What a contrast to 12 months ago when at this point then, we was absolutely dreading it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, I think European qualification has only not gone to 7th once in the last 12 seasons, which just happened to be our second 7th place finish!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we'll get 53-56 points looking at our remaining fixtures.

If were weren't on the receiving end of so many shocking refereeing/VAR calls this season (some against rivals in the race for Europe) we'd be in pole position.

Just Utd twice avoiding giving away a penalty for their keeper trying to punch our players heads off has helped give them a 6 point swing over us, don't know how they kept 11 on too! Just drawing those would have left them only 3 points in front and have reversed our GDs around.

We need to avoid our usual routine of dropping points to the worse sides though, starting Saturday.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If were weren't on the receiving end of so many shocking refereeing/VAR calls this season (some against rivals in the race for Europe) we'd be in pole position.

Just Utd twice avoiding giving away a penalty for their keeper trying to punch our players heads off has helped give them a 6 point swing over us, don't know how they kept 11 on too! Just drawing those would have left them only 3 points in front and have reversed our GDs around.

We need to avoid our usual routine of dropping points to the worse sides though, starting Saturday.
If we somehow got 3 wins from the next 3, we will look very very good value!

Thats sheffield, fa cup (brighton) and newcastle

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8th gets UECL provided England finishes top 2 co-efficient which is likely as it's been the case in about 8 of the last 10 seasons. Newcastle and Utd crashing out hasn't helped the cause though as it points per win per game and bonus points for progress- see link below for more info.

Also there is a further more clear caveat that the league cup needs to be won by a team already qualified via league position. Same applies to the FA cup but that is a UEL spot rather than UECL.

Long story short, 8th is achievable, and there's an 80% chance it's Europe. First thing we most definitely need to happen is Liverpool to beat Chelsea in the league cup final.

I’ve scanned through that link twice now and can’t see anywhere that says 8th gets a European place if we manage to get an extra CL spot.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But who knows, it may have been those setbacks that galvanised the team spirit.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve scanned through that link twice now and can’t see anywhere that says 8th gets a European place if we manage to get an extra CL spot.
All about cooeficient, if we are in the top 2 (nation,) coefficient wise we get an extra position in champs league

Then ideally liverpool need to win league cup, and if we dont win the fa cup it needs to be one of the top 6

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All about cooeficient, if we are in the top 2 (nation,) coefficient wise we get an extra position in champs league

Then ideally liverpool need to win league cup, and if we dont win the fa cup it needs to be one of the top 6
That’s still not confirming 8th gets the conference spot though.

For all we know 5th place could just be turned from a Europa league place to a CL place and we only have one team in the Europa league (either FA cup winner or 6th place finisher)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s still not confirming 8th gets the conference spot though.

For all we know 5th place could just be turned from a Europa league place to a CL place and we only have one team in the Europa league (either FA cup winner or 6th place finisher)

if we get the cooeficient 5th gets champs league just like it would in germany

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

if we get the cooeficient 5th gets champs league just like it would in germany
Yes I no that but it still doesn’t confirm that 8th place will the Europa league conference place does it?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I no that but it still doesn’t confirm that 8th place will the Europa league conference place does it?
Ok no but 8th only gets Conferience if Liverpool Win the league cup as chelsea right now unlikely to get 8 or above.

And a top 6 wins fa cup

to knock down the positions 6/7 europa 8 conference

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok no but 8th only gets Conferience if Liverpool Win the league cup as chelsea right now unlikely to get 8 or above.

And a top 6 wins fa cup

to knock down the positions 6/7 europa 8 conference
Sorry your misunderstanding me.

There is nothing in any of those links confirming 8th gets into Europa even if all those a things happen.m that you are suggesting

For all we know Uefa could take away a countries Europa place if they get awarded an extra CL spot.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the European spots, we know:

Top 4: Champions League
5th: Europa League
FA Cup: Europa League
League Cup: Conference League

Could be come a bit complex if England get one of the two extra UCL spots and if West Ham or Brighton win the Europa League and finish outside the Top 4.

I remember at one point during our Europa League run, there was a possibility of 6 English teams being in the Champions League thanks to who was left in Europe and there League positions. Hope it doesn’t go that mad!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My guess on Europe will be max of 5 in the Champions league, so irrespective of the coefficient, if an English team wins Europa league, 5th will not get Champions league football (possibly Villa in that scenario). But it is unclear and I don't see any reason for losing a Europa league spot so it may well go to 8th, depending on cup winners.

Reaction score
Being somewhat of a pessimist, I fear we may just miss out on any potential European spot this season (regardless of whether that's 8th or 7th) but it's great that we are even talking about it given the low expectations of most people before the season started.

To be in with a chance, the games from now until mid-April would appear key to me as we play Arsenal, City and Liverpool in 3 of our last 5 games and we don't want to be heading into those needing to win them all.
The points we have 'lost' due to poor refereeing/VAR decisions would've helped massively of course as, even if you argue that the Newcastle and Luton decisions were early enough in the games to not be decisive, we should have, at the very least, 3 more points now from the Man U, Sheff U and Fulham decisions - I still think these will be difference between us qualifying and not come the season end.

Our best chance of qualification could still be winning the FA Cup - favourable draws and 4 wins is all it could take!

Let's enjoy the ride!

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Not sure it would be great. Does it help player recruitment or players staying - to be in Europa Conference Non-Campions Plate? Doubt it.
Is our squad able to cope with 2games a week and regularly flying long distances? Doubt it.
Do we want many games being shifted to Sunday to accommodate Thursday games? Doubt it.

I’d be happy with finishing as high as possible, with players getting most of the bonus money for finishing in say 8th. After the situation we seemed to be in last August that would seem a HUGE success - and the chance to recruit & build this summer to make a REAL challenge for a European spot NEXT year.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My guess on Europe will be max of 5 in the Champions league, so irrespective of the coefficient, if an English team wins Europa league, 5th will not get Champions league football (possibly Villa in that scenario). But it is unclear and I don't see any reason for losing a Europa league spot so it may well go to 8th, depending on cup winners.
And if results go our way this w/e we could be 8th on Sunday night. Chelsea not in league action, Toon at Arsenal and WHU have a tricky one v Bees. Of course we need to get our act together first but I wouldn't rule out us being 8th this w/e. COYW!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The information provided definitely states that should an extra CL place be awarded via the co-efficient, it's not at the expense of other qualifications places.

The author doesn't cite their sources though, so we're trusting his word. There's no reason to suggest they're lying, but there's a chance, like people on this very forum, he's guessing.

Let's hope his article is as well researched as it is presented.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being somewhat of a pessimist, I fear we may just miss out on any potential European spot this season (regardless of whether that's 8th or 7th) but it's great that we are even talking about it given the low expectations of most people before the season started.

To be in with a chance, the games from now until mid-April would appear key to me as we play Arsenal, City and Liverpool in 3 of our last 5 games and we don't want to be heading into those needing to win them all.
The points we have 'lost' due to poor refereeing/VAR decisions would've helped massively of course as, even if you argue that the Newcastle and Luton decisions were early enough in the games to not be decisive, we should have, at the very least, 3 more points now from the Man U, Sheff U and Fulham decisions - I still think these will be difference between us qualifying and not come the season end.

Our best chance of qualification could still be winning the FA Cup - favourable draws and 4 wins is all it could take!

Let's enjoy the ride!
You're probably right. But as you said, it's nice to be in the conversation still.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I should have stated in the OP that guesses were unwelcome.

The best answer we've had to the 8th question is the ESPN article, but that's without citations.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would anybody not want to be in the Uefa conference league.....it's a competition than feasible we could win......we are not a big enough club to pick and chose which European competition we would like to be in......and realistically the Europa league maybe a step to far for us in terms of winning it.....

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would anybody not want to be in the Uefa conference league.....it's a competition than feasible we could win......we are not a big enough club to pick and chose which European competition we would like to be in......and realistically the Europa league maybe a step to far for us in terms of winning it.....
Precisely and seeing Villa have drawn Ajax in the Last 16, some big beasts are involved and makes it exciting. No doubt Villa Park will be rocking on March 14th.

The Conference League is becoming a great competition.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My take on it is we will get the extra cl place, but what happens if brighton win europa league as that means cl qualification. Also if villa get a cl place and win the conference, and someone qualified for cl wins the fa cup ????

Could places go to 9th

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This says that 8th gets Europa Conference League if we get the 5th Champions League spot.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This says that 8th gets Europa Conference League if we get the 5th Champions League spot.
Only if one of the top 8 win league cup and fa cup is the other caveat to remember

Liverpool beat chelsea on sunday and then its likely that top 8 get europe

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those saying Europe might be a step to quick this season, i take it you didn't do any away games in the Europa season. Some of the best days of my 45 years of supporting this club. If and it's a big If, embrace it and accept the challenge and as someone once said " Dreaming is for free".

Back
Top Bottom