Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Qualification?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but it's just not as important as the Brighton game. With Brighton playing on the Saturday giving them an extra days rest and our players potentially tiring already I would just rather rotate and rest a few. Others still should be good enough. Also shows why the big clubs always progress because they have the options to rotate at times like this with very little drop off in quality. Sheff UTD gonna sit in and be physical too.
And the top sides can have a plethora of quality and experience on the bench and field five substitutions which will quickly change a game in their favour.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most i would suggest are realistic about our present situation and dont think we have the squad right now to be European contenders despite our recent success.
Mid table finish is still where i see us with a hope that one fine day we'll be back on the streets of Istanbul, Rome and Madrid etc.
7th is midtable. We're not talking a seismic shift in fortunes here. We're currently 4 points off a European place. It's not unrealistic to suggest we have a chance ffs.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance, yesterday’s game told us that we are likely to be inconsistent for the rest of the season; we will think we can make it again sometime in the next month or two but ultimately I don’t think we’ve got the squad depth or quality to launch a realistic challenge.
The season we qualified for Europe, we won 16 and lost 13. The were only consistent in our inconsistency. Welcome to midtable mediocrity, of which 7th is often a part of.

Reactions: Ned

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th is midtable. We're not talking a seismic shift in fortunes here. We're currently 4 points off a European place. It's not unrealistic to suggest we have a chance ffs.
Without the expletive, anything is possible.
My perception is a mid table finish with the current squad, that's all.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see us finishing as high as 7th personally, so I can't see us getting in that way, and realistically we would need to win 4 Cup games on the bounce and I can't see that either...

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As discussed on the other thread, it is (was) possible.

Chelsea, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham or Wolves. One of those will likely finish 7th.

If we have everyone fit, I don't think we're far behind any of those teams. It's backed up by performances against Chelsea, Newcastle and arguably Brighton away, where we've been the better team.

Add in the momentum we had and the fact West Ham and Brighton have Europe which would be a priority during the run-in.

We should have been aiming for 7th as it was a real possibility.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not equipped for seventh place, surely people see that right? 14 to go isn't it? We need to win like 8 at a minimum which simply isn't going to happen. To realistically have a chance we would have to win two more games than all of Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham ffs, that just isn't going to happen.

Fixture wise we have away games to come at Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Man City and Liverpool and a home game against Arsenal. Tough games we will be lucky to win any of in reality, perhaps we sneak one, but even then that means we have to win 7 of the other 8 games. No chance at all, give it up ffs.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without the expletive, anything is possible.
My perception is a mid table finish with the current squad, that's all.
So is mine. But Aston Villa finished 7th last season on 61 points. They were closer to being relegated than Champions, it's midtable, only once since our first PL season under Nuno has 7th been closer to 1st than 18th.

Positionally too, when dividing 20 teams in to top, middle and bottom, most people would consider 7th to be the top of the middle, the bottom of the top at a push I guess. If it were a tube station it would be one than straddled two zones.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not equipped for seventh place, surely people see that right? 14 to go isn't it? We need to win like 8 at a minimum which simply isn't going to happen. To realistically have a chance we would have to win two more games than all of Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham ffs, that just isn't going to happen.

Fixture wise we have away games to come at Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Man City and Liverpool and a home game against Arsenal. Tough games we will be lucky to win any of in reality, perhaps we sneak one, but even then that means we have to win 7 of the other 8 games. No chance at all, give it up ffs.

This was brought up before Brentford.

You're right to point out the tough away games, but the majority of our home games are winnable.

If Cunha was fit, I don't think games at Newcastle, Spurs or Villa are the write-offs you seem to.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Guess we all got carried away after the performance & result at Chelski (I did to be honest). Cunha's injury and Saturdays indifferent performance merely accentuated our thin squad. It would have been an almighty result to have achieved Europe this season. We just have to hope we invest wisely in the Summer, given the expected departures.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The way we play, we probably will sneak a couple of wins out of the tough games. And then lose to Burnley, Luton and Sheff U. Hopefully we won't to lose to them, however we will certainly drop at least a couple of points to that latter lot, because we always do!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guess we all got carried away after the performance & result at Chelski (I did to be honest). Cunha's injury and Saturdays indifferent performance merely accentuated our thin squad. It would have been an almighty result to have achieved Europe this season. We just have to hope we invest wisely in the Summer, given the expected departures.
I saw the Chelsea result as a midtable team beating another midtable team actually. It's not like we beat a team with a spine of Terry, Makelele and Drogba is it?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we allowed to mention the E word this week then?

A third of the season left and we're 2 points away (possibly) from Europe.

Make no mistake, at this juncture we're in the conversation...

Until we lose again obviously, then you lot can throw your toys out the pram in a bi-polar rage lol.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not?

We’re the form team of that bunch.. were miles behind West Ham, Brighton and Newcastle early doors, now breathing down their necks.

Chelsea probably the ones I expect to finish stronger.. but I see no reason in recent weeks to think we won’t give them a run for 7th.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not?

We’re the form team of that bunch.. were miles behind West Ham, Brighton and Newcastle early doors, now breathing down their necks.

Chelsea probably the ones I expect to finish stronger.. but I see no reason in recent weeks to think we won’t give them a run for 7th.
Two more wins beat Sheffield which we need to for a European change and take points off Newcastle who are our rivals for top 7 we are on 41 points and I'm dreaming

colincameron

Reaction score
8th gets UECL provided England finishes top 2 co-efficient which is likely as it's been the case in about 8 of the last 10 seasons. Newcastle and Utd crashing out hasn't helped the cause though as it points per win per game and bonus points for progress- see link below for more info.

Also there is a further more clear caveat that the league cup needs to be won by a team already qualified via league position. Same applies to the FA cup but that is a UEL spot rather than UECL.

Long story short, 8th is achievable, and there's an 80% chance it's Europe. First thing we most definitely need to happen is Liverpool to beat Chelsea in the league cup final.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th is distinctly possible which might get Europe. But still a longish shot. I don't expect it but don't write it off either.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fa cup win gets Europe right

Lot of prem teams to be knocked out next round we have beat Chelsea before and on any day I think we can give Liverpool or city a go

colincameron

Reaction score
8th gets UECL provided England finishes top 2 co-efficient which is likely as it's been the case in about 8 of the last 10 seasons. Newcastle and Utd crashing out hasn't helped the cause though as it points per win per game and bonus points for progress- see link below for more info.

Also there is a further more clear caveat that the league cup needs to be won by a team already qualified via league position. Same applies to the FA cup but that is a UEL spot rather than UECL.

Long story short, 8th is achievable, and there's an 80% chance it's Europe. First thing we most definitely need to happen is Liverpool to beat Chelsea in the league cup final.

Just on the back of this if England get the extra CL spot it'd be:

1-5 CL
6 EL (qualified through league)
7 EL (qualified through FA cup provided it is won by someone in the top 6)
8 UECL (qualified through league cup place provided it is won by someone in top six- ie. Liverpool)

Rowzed

Reaction score
We are closer to 6th than we are to 12th. (if you consider GD)

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to work out how to beat teams that park the bus and hit us on the counter, rather than what we do so well . How do we break down compact sides by guile and not pace? Work that out, and Europe is a maybe.
Sheffield is an important game for us

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to work out how to beat teams that park the bus and hit us on the counter, rather than what we do so well . How do we break down compact sides by guile and not pace? Work that out, and Europe is a maybe.
Sheffield is an important game for us
We simply have to move the ball quicker. Jjst don’t give it away for 5 minutes and keep moving it . Teams will get tired

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Provided this information is correct, it's good news for English clubs and potentially good news for us.

I'd love to qualify for the conference. A realistic chance to lift a trophy and further European qualification the following season if so, regardless of league position.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd still say probably not but it's possible. But it's no an expectation for me at all, I'd still be very happy if we finished top half. We have some nice home fixtures if we can get beating the lower teams so who knows...

Shame Refs screwed us earlier in the season. Can't guarantee they won't do it again either. :disappointed:

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After getting stung the last time due to European financial rules do we want the same to happen again ?

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th place is well within our grasp
What a fantastic season that would be and off on our European tour again
Happy days

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Consistency is key. Need to be as good against the strugglers as we are against the better teams. That of course means taking the game to teams rather than counterattacking.

Last edited:

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
After getting stung the last time due to European financial rules do we want the same to happen again ?
The issue then was that the ffp cycle included our promotion season from the championship involving much lower income than the premier leagues and we spent just under 100m to get promoted which we were never going to break even from, a punishment for overachieving:(
We have put our books in order this season, so won’t be affected in any way by a breach of the stricter uefa ffp rules.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue then was that the ffp cycle included our promotion season from the championship involving much lower income than the premier leagues and we spent just under 100m to get promoted which we were never going to break even from, a punishment for overachieving:(
We have put our books in order this season, so won’t be affected in any way by a breach of the stricter uefa ffp rules.

Thanks, hope you’re correct…IF we qualify..

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Unlikely really but I noticed we have probably the most difficult run in. The way we seem to take points when not expected then drop them for the "easy" games it's not out of the question.

That we're even talking about the possibility this far into the season considering the mess we were in and the dodgy decisions this might just be our best season since promotion

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having something to strive for makes it all worthwhile, rather than just existing. We can do it.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely yes, I don't ever want us to be making 'a business decision' to deliberately not qualify for Europe. Only a truly tin pot outfit would ever contemplate that!

Back
Top Bottom