Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

European Cups Finalists

S

ShropshireLad

Dont think we’ve ever been in a position when we’ve beaten all of them in one season. Nice!
Does this mean that we won't qualify for the Europa League as and English team will win it?
If Chelsea win it and are in a 3rd/4th spot, will that make a difference?
If Arsenal win it and are in a 5th/6th spot, will that make a difference?

306NOTOUT

Of course Man City have also done the same this season

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Arsenal win, then they go into champions league and we have 2 teams in Europa and 5 in CL. If Chelsea win, then we have 3 in EL and 4 in CL.

Whatever happens, if City win the FA Cup we are in EL.

Y

Yout85

Not only have we beaten each of the finalists in one off games this season, we have also beaten Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea "over two legs" in the league... and are yet to play the 2nd leg against Liverpool, so it's possible we could complete the set.

D

Deleted member 4594

Not only have we beaten each of the finalists in one off games this season, we have also beaten Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea "over two legs" in the league... and are yet to play the 2nd leg against Liverpool, so it's possible we could complete the set.
I’m off to have a fiver on a 3-0 win on Sunday now.

NewburyWolfs

Groupie
Reaction score
I guess Messi and Ronaldo must both be happy not playing in the best league in the world.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What a week for the top English sides! Absolute scenes.

*Chelsea* qualify for a European final on Penalties

*Arsenal* smash a well fancied Valencia over two legs to also reach that final

*Spurs* stage a roaring 2nd half come back and get a deciding goal in the 95th minute to take them to their first ever champions league final

*Liverpool* beat Messi's Barcelona 4-0 to do the seemingly impossible and qualify for ANOTHER European final

*City* all but wrap up the title with a late screamer from their iconic captain

*Wolves* win to secure 7th and almost guarantee European football for the first time in 39 years.

*Utd* scrape a draw against one of the worst sides in premier league history, fail to qualify for the champions league.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely terrible for La Liga in its ambitions to match the Premier League worldwide.

This week has been just about as perfect a marketing tool for the Premier League as it's possible to have.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we are justifiably the real “european champions”. Unbeaten against both europa league finalists. Stuffed spurs away and robbed at home with a wrongly disallowed goal. Beaten liverpool and about to take three points off them at anfield.......

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we get a trophy for this achievement?

If so, I imagine it's sponsored by the same people that sponsor the following:
  • Tottenham's 'We bought no players and still did OK' Cup
  • Arsenal's 'We built a new ground and remained financially stable' Shield
  • Liverpool's soon to be awarded 'We got loads of points' Vase
  • West Brom's 'We stayed in the Premier League for a long time before getting relegated' Tankard
  • Villa's 'Biggest team in the Midlands' Certificate

D

Deleted member 5276

Just read that Arsenal and Chelsea will only get 6,000 tickets. The stadium holds nearly 70,000. If that's the case and how UEFA dishes them out, then I'd decline the invitation to participate even if we Watford lose the FA Cup. What's the point? 25 games to allow 6,000 into the final, if we made it that far.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Posted 13 hours ago

I wonder if any other team has ever done what Wolves have done this season. They beat all 4 European Finalists in one season

from Chelsea forum :)

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Just read that Arsenal and Chelsea will only get 6,000 tickets. The stadium holds nearly 70,000. If that's the case and how UEFA dishes them out, then I'd decline the invitation to participate even if we Watford lose the FA Cup. What's the point? 25 games to allow 6,000 into the final, if we made it that far.
Absolutely ridiculous and just so wrong in so many ways!!

W

we8wba

It’s ridiculous allocation but let’s not pretend both would take 30k to Baku with no direct flights

Do well take 6k

D

Deleted member 5276

It’s ridiculous allocation but let’s not pretend both would take 30k to Baku with no direct flights

Do well take 6k
And this speaks to how the competition is run. Why would a final of such stature be placed there? And, if this was the decision, who came up with 6K to each team and when was that decision made? Surely consideration has to be given to how many fans of the teams can actually go to a final should their team make it?

To me, it smacks of more b/s from those in charge of European football. It's basically a two fingers up at the fans who paid to go to all these games and then will be denied going to the final.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Do well take 6k
I'm sure I heard this morning (half asleep at the time so may be wrong) that travel by train would take 4 days!!

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And this speaks to how the competition is run. Why would a final of such stature be placed there? And, if this was the decision, who came up with 6K to each team and when was that decision made? Surely consideration has to be given to how many fans of the teams can actually go to a final should their team make it?

To me, it smacks of more b/s from those in charge of European football. It's basically a two fingers up at the fans who paid to go to all these games and then will be denied going to the final.
Lots of oil and gas money in Azerbaijan ;)

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shock.
A multinational football governing body wants to host an event in a country with questionable attitudes to human rights and multiculturalism, that also happens to sit atop a load of oil and gas.

I wonder how UEFA officials could have possibly come to the conclusion that Baku was the place to be.
I’m sure they were swayed by very persuasive envelopes. I mean arguments.

W

we8wba

As said shocking but do people think they’ll take more 6k considering where it is and how much tickets are alone?

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
As said shocking but do people think they’ll take more 6k considering where it is and how much tickets are alone?

Exactly, the issue isn't the ticket allocation but where it's being held in the first place. But then if Azerbaijan, Georgia etc count as European nations for FIFA then Baku will argue they have as much right to hold it as any other 'european' city (not saying I agree with this!)

Apparently approx 50k seats are for fans and 17k for corporate/journalists/dignitaries, but 38k of those were sold by a ballot that closed in March, presumably because UEFA were scared that two much smaller clubs would reach the final who realistically might struggle to get thousands of fans wanting to book tickets to Baku at short notice, hence only 12k reserved for fans of whichever clubs made the final.

EDIT: this must be one of the worst excuses ever written, the basic question is, if these factors were taken into account when awarding the final in the first place, how the **** did UEFA pick Baku???

"Of course, it is impossible to predict in advance which clubs will reach the final while the venue has to be chosen around two years in advance," it said in a statement.

"Taking into consideration the above and most importantly the geographical location and logistical capacity of airports in and around the host city, it was deemed that around 15,000 spectators would be able to travel from abroad (this includes finalists' fans and general public), with Baku as the main hub."

It added that "offering more tickets to fans of the participating teams, without any guarantee that they would be able to arrange suitable travel to reach Baku, was therefore not a responsible option".

$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure I heard this morning (half asleep at the time so may be wrong) that travel by train would take 4 days!!

I went to Kiev in 2009 and there were loads of England fans on the train out to watch Ukraine vs England.

One guy I met wouldn't fly due to fear and travelled to Kazakstan away by train (two deserts, ten days) and watched in England in the 2002 World Cup . . . without flying (train to China via Russia / Eurasia, ferry to Japan).

Do not underestimate the devotion of football fans!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shock.
A multinational football governing body wants to host an event in a country with questionable attitudes to human rights and multiculturalism, that also happens to sit atop a load of oil and gas.

I wonder how UEFA officials could have possibly come to the conclusion that Baku was the place to be.
I’m sure they were swayed by very persuasive envelopes. I mean arguments.
Just following their FIFA role models - look at the World Cup choices..

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to Kiev in 2009 and there were loads of England fans on the train out to watch Ukraine vs England.

One guy I met wouldn't fly due to fear and travelled to Kazakstan away by train (two deserts, ten days) and watched in England in the 2002 World Cup . . . without flying (train to China via Russia / Eurasia, ferry to Japan).

Wow! Just wow :openmouth:

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Was he called John and a Sunderland fan?
If so sound bloke and seen him all over the world watching England

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of oil and gas money in Azerbaijan ;)

That's why it's being held in Baku, but why only 6000 tickets for each club in a 68000 seat stadium? Chelsea and Arsenal are not known for vociferous support so even if they had 20000 tickets each the atmosphere would probably still be ****, but you need a good atmosphere to make a good game, this will be like playing in a morgue and will be a **** advert for European football

Reaction score
That's why it's being held in Baku, but why only 6000 tickets for each club in a 68000 seat stadium? Chelsea and Arsenal are not known for vociferous support so even if they had 20000 tickets each the atmosphere would probably still be ****, but you need a good atmosphere to make a good game, this will be like playing in a morgue and will be a **** advert for European football
Breaking News ! Sepp Blatter advises neighbor to ban any team that has beaten all four European finalists from future competitions as they may be too good and less compliant

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s not pussyfoot around this.....6000 for each club is an insult.
Best thing to do is don’t go and nobody in England watch it on tv.......send a message to UEFA.

Back
Top Bottom