Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Emiliano Sala

Soho Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP to both and condolences to family and friends.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't get why they are giving up so soon. That jumbo jet that disappeared a couple of years ago they were searching for that for months and yet they can't search more than 3 days for this plane. Rip to sala and his pilot.

In case of an airliner crash like that (I think it was A330) it is extremely important to find the cause of the crash. It is sad but air crashes contributed a lot to safety of this kind of travel. We learned a lot... That speaking I'm flying from O'Hare in a couple of hours. Hopefully you'll be hearing from me again.

I just can't get the rush of Emiliano Sala's travel. Why use a single machine small aircraft when you can book a flight on regular airline. It's not that he was going to play a game the next evening.

RIP

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The BBC are now reporting that the pilot may not have had a license to carry passengers

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The BBC are now reporting that the pilot may not have had a license to carry passengers

Even with a basic PPL you can carry one passenger.

I regularly carry one. (I don’t get paid for it though)

Caveat: You must have carried out minimum of 3 take off and 3 landings in the previous 90 days

Edit: I’m pretty sure you need a CPL to carry passengers for payment. It’s not that simple though as it’s not like car license where once you have it you can drive. You need to remain current by flying and taking various flight tests ( and medical)
BBC probably don’t have full details

Last edited:
W

WasStefan

I don't get why they are giving up so soon. That jumbo jet that disappeared a couple of years ago they were searching for that for months and yet they can't search more than 3 days for this plane. Rip to sala and his pilot.
You answered your own question. They couldn't find a jumbo jet for years. What makes you think they will find something 1/100th the size within the same time?

Unfortunately, whatever happened, they are no longer alive, most likely drown. Very sad indeed

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even with a basic PPL you can carry one passenger.

I regularly carry one. (I don’t get paid for it though)
Sorry, they just played the clip again. It is to do with him receiving payment. Apologies for the misinformation.

W

WasStefan

Been away without internet access for a few days so just getting back up to speed with events. Incredible story and so sad. Looks like both Sala and the pilot have lost their lives. RIP both.
Were you living in a cave?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wish they didn't speculate until all facts are known and are 100% irrefutable.

Just a tragic case all round. Hard to believe that such things even happen in the modern day world with all the technology and safety regulations we have. Just awful - RIP to both.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish they didn't speculate until all facts are known and are 100% irrefutable.

Just a tragic case all round. Hard to believe that such things even happen in the modern day world with all the technology and safety regulations we have. Just awful - RIP to both.

This.

I noticed that they mentioned the FAA pilot registration system. That is for the USA only and irrelevant to a bloke in Lincolnshire.

He may have initially trained in the US (cheaper) then converted licence to EASA. Or even upgraded it and never used his licence in the USA.

So only relevant question is what UK licence did the pilot hold, not a FAA one. The authorities will already know this.
The BBC are mixing up aircraft licence with pilots licence

Finally, who says he was paid? He might have done this as a favour. Time will tell but journalists are journalists

Last edited:

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry astral, but pointing out the risks could help someone else to mitigate them. The company I work for fly employees all over the world and there are specific rules when traveling on company business. Commercial airlines where ever possible, even some airlines are banned, those with poor safety records.

Fair play GH. :)

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In case of an airliner crash like that (I think it was A330) it is extremely important to find the cause of the crash. It is sad but air crashes contributed a lot to safety of this kind of travel. We learned a lot... That speaking I'm flying from O'Hare in a couple of hours. Hopefully you'll be hearing from me again.

I just can't get the rush of Emiliano Sala's travel. Why use a single machine small aircraft when you can book a flight on regular airline. It's not that he was going to play a game the next evening.

RIP

I said at the time i'm amazed they allowed him to fly in a small light aircraft like that.

Michael Owen bought a helicopter once to fly from his house in Cheshire to Newcastle. Newcastle told him he couldn't go in it because it breached his player insurance.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said at the time i'm amazed they allowed him to fly in a small light aircraft like that.

Michael Owen bought a helicopter once to fly from his house in Cheshire to Newcastle. Newcastle told him he couldn't go in it because it breached his player insurance.

Seems an expert also agrees, TF: :(

There were "alarm bells all around" the incident, aviation consultant Alastair Rosenchein told BBC Radio Wales' Good Morning Wales programme. He said: "The one issue is whether a single-engine air craft should be flying at night, in winter, over water and with passengers. This is the real issue - it is a really bad combination."

He said despite only 1,400 of the planes being built, there was a "quite significant" number of deaths and injuries from flights involving them.

Darren M (Dazza)

Reaction score
Seems an expert also agrees, TF: :(

There were "alarm bells all around" the incident, aviation consultant Alastair Rosenchein told BBC Radio Wales' Good Morning Wales programme. He said: "The one issue is whether a single-engine air craft should be flying at night, in winter, over water and with passengers. This is the real issue - it is a really bad combination."

He said despite only 1,400 of the planes being built, there was a "quite significant" number of deaths and injuries from flights involving them.
Exactly what I thought. Just get on a proper jet. At Heathrow in a few hours. Light aircraft are great for pleasure flights. But no way would I have flown from mid France at night over water, that far. Badly advised. Feel really sorry for the two who lost their lives. I hope the family’s can get some news and closure. RIP

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its incredibly tragic but I was really shocked to find out what aircraft had crashed.

At first I thought Cardiff have arranged a private jet and it's come down.

From what I understand I don't think Cardiff knew it was a light aircraft he was flying over on.

Footballers just don't fly on aircraft like this. They're incredibly expensive assets to a business.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its incredibly tragic but I was really shocked to find out what aircraft had crashed.

From what I understand I don't think Cardiff knew it was a light aircraft he was flying over on.

Footballers just don't fly on aircraft like this. They're incredibly expensive assets to a business.
Didnt sala fly from cardiff in a light aircraft to france?

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

RIP

And they still don't know what happened to MH370....which is scary.

You're talking about a big jet, which just disappeared.

They lost an Air France A330 over the Atlantic and only found it 2 years later via Sonar. An A330 with black boxes that emit a signal for 30 days after impact yet they couldn't find it.

It's scary really.

Got a feeling they'll have to resort to sonar.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of.

Cardiff CEO said he returned home to say fairwell to friends in Nantes.

The club offered him a train to Paris and then a flight to the UK from there.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't get how we can still lose an aeroplane.

Well the light aircraft are tracked via radar only.

They don't have the technology on board to be tracked via GPS etc like the big commercial jets.....yet the jets with all their navigational aids can still disappear.

Its incredibly difficult to find them if they go down over deep water intact.

If they break up before impact you get a large debris field to work on.

If they go into the water in one piece sometimes you're only left with an oil slick on the surface.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It all adds up to exactly what it was.
An unecessary risk

Yes it is, but I can understand the player not taking the option offered by the club.

Firstly, the train to Paris is 3 hours, yes, at certain times. But at the time he flew he would have had to have taken a train into Montparnasse, taken two metro rides and a long walk. Then most probably an overnight stay at Charles De Gaulle. Few flights crash and even though we now know that that particular aircraft is dangerous, as much as he suspected it before he boarded, he would have thought like many of us that 'surely my agent won't use an unsafe service and surely the pilot won't fly if he thinks it's a risk'. Taking a private flight instead of travelling into Paris meant he also had more time with friends so it's a decision out of bounded rational choice.

What I don't understand is why he decided to make the journey that night. He could have flown from Nantes to Paris or Amsterdam on an a319 the following day and changed there and it would only have been around 4-6 hours.

It's a little bit odd that staying an extra night doesn't seem to have been an option.

Last edited:

Neves wolf

Reaction score
You answered your own question. They couldn't find a jumbo jet for years. What makes you think they will find something 1/100th the size within the same time?

Unfortunately, whatever happened, they are no longer alive, most likely drown. Very sad indeed

I get they are most likely not alive anymore. However I still think 3 days is nothing. If it was a relative of mine I would like the body back to some closure. They could have at least looked for 2 weeks.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought one of the early quotes attributed to Sala was that the flight to France had been very bumpy, and that he was concerned about the flight back?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought. Just get on a proper jet. At Heathrow in a few hours. Light aircraft are great for pleasure flights. But no way would I have flown from mid France at night over water, that far. Badly advised. Feel really sorry for the two who lost their lives. I hope the family’s can get some news and closure. RIP

Spot on, Darren. It may all come out during the inquest.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like Willie McKay (well known agent, his son plays for Cardiff) booked the flight and offered to pay for it - Emiliano Sala's messages with agent's son organising flight revealed

Just hope the inquest can get to the bottom of this, surely somebody has cut some corners somewhere, resulting in 2 tragic deaths.

W

WasStefan

Sounds like Willie McKay (well known agent, his son plays for Cardiff) booked the flight and offered to pay for it - Emiliano Sala's messages with agent's son organising flight revealed

Just hope the inquest can get to the bottom of this, surely somebody has cut some corners somewhere, resulting in 2 tragic deaths.
Hmmm. McKay already trying to squirm. Doesn't sit right. Too soon

I know we have speculated on here but doing it in the nation's media is distatesful at this stage?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
The more you read the more tragic it seems. Some of the stuff in the press is very uncomfortable to read and I’ve got nothing to do with it, imagine how their families and friends feel.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get they are most likely not alive anymore. However I still think 3 days is nothing. If it was a relative of mine I would like the body back to some closure. They could have at least looked for 2 weeks.
The searches were primarily about finding people alive. Sadly there is now no real prospect of that. What you are asking for is likely to involve serious expense (and bluntly public services are hardly swimming in spare cash) with limited chance of success.

S

ShropshireLad

How curious this is...as to why Cardiff signed the two McKays up:
Just looked him up. Him and his twin Paul both started at Doncaster but never played.

Then they both went to
Ilkeston and jack played 5 games (didn’t score) and Paul never played.

Then they both got given 2 and a half year deals by Leeds in January 2016 but neither ever played for them.

Then jack went to Scottish league 1 in January 2017, scoring 1 goal in 15 games.

Then in January 2018 Cardiff city gave them both 2 and a half year contracts. They are 22.

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, so first, sincere condolences to everyone touched by this event.

In relation to finding the aircraft, I still find it unbelievable.

I am the director of a hire firm, we have 3,000 prestige cars and designed tracking technology to ensure we don’t lose one. We never have.

We recently did some work with the NCA and Interpol as they wanted to know whether our technology (which is covert and almost impossible to locate by thieves) would work in a freight container.

So, when we next had a car stolen, rather than retrieve it immediately which is our standard process, we left it. It ended up in Uganda where we found millions of pounds worth of other British cars.

Lexus 4x4 stolen in London is tracked to UGANDA using a smartphone app – and leads to recovery of 28 high-value cars | This is Money
Anyway, I still find it absolutely unbelievable that planes these days are not found. We can track a car, in a solid steel container, across the world with decent and unique technology (which didn’t cost multi millions to develop and utilised the same technology NASA use to find and locate spacecraft!) yet Airbus and Boeing (in the case of MH350) and smaller airlines are unable to find something which is submerged in the ocean. It’s just unbelievable in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom