Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doyler

M

Major Winters

I think that in time, Siggy will prove to be a better player than Doyle. But right now, they are both good players and they both play for Wolves. Not a bad problem to have, is it?

Neither is the even better problem that our main striker and current top scorer is better than both of them!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A small part of me did want to see the back of Doyle. Nobody in the history of league one is on the wage he is, and as pointed out, if performances drop (and his have ALOT over the last 3 years, then so should wage) and not only that but long term and possibly even short term I would like us to build from the front with Sigurdarsson and Griffiths.

Despite that though, he is a very experienced player at this level to have and I think this will definatly be his last year.

P

Paul76

He is rubbish. Sooner rid the better!
45k a week and can't score, what a joke.
I could go to local park on Sunday and find a better player for 10 & sixpence.

Quite what you guys see in him is beyond me.
"Holds the ball up well" someone said, well so does the bloody wind and that don't cost 180k a week!

Lol. Some parts of this post I agree with. I don't agree with that he's rubbish though. He's not worth his wage though. Absolutely no doubt about that.

I think Keogh could do a similar job in this league on a fraction of Doyle's wage. At the end of the day, I'm not paying Kevin's wages. So I don't care if he stays here. Just as along as he plays well.

We've waited long enough to see the best of Doyle. Maybe he's found his level.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A small part of me did want to see the back of Doyle. Nobody in the history of league one is on the wage he is, and as pointed out, if performances drop (and his have ALOT over the last 3 years, then so should wage) and not only that but long term and possibly even short term I would like us to build from the front with Sigurdarsson and Griffiths.

Despite that though, he is a very experienced player at this level to have and I think this will definatly be his last year.

Apart from Rodge and fat Jamie :rolleyes:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is rubbish. Sooner rid the better!
45k a week and can't score, what a joke.
I could go to local park on Sunday and find a better player for 10 & sixpence.

Quite what you guys see in him is beyond me.
"Holds the ball up well" someone said, well so does the bloody wind and that don't cost 180k a week!

Troll gone fishing....!

JEVS WWFC 1877

Reaction score
I keep seeing this figure of 40k, was that his wage before or after the wages reduction kicked in this season?

S

Sandwell Wolf

I have to be honest and say I find it hard to believe Doyle is on £40,000 a week. If he really was earning that much money I think he'd have been sold already.

Obviously he didn't deserve to be lumped in the group with O'Hara or Johnson but I think we'd have sorted him a loan deal as we did with Ward. Even if it meant paying half his wage.

I'd imagine he's earning a tidy sum, but I'd say closer to £20k a week than £40k.

P

Paul76

It has to be 25 grand. There is no way we'd be able to sustain 40 fat uns.

S

Sandwell Wolf

£25k is sustainable in this league with parachute payments. Just about.

£40k, no chance.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Siggy keeps scoring and Doyler doesn't he is going to come under pressure. For a player of Doylers calibre I don't think it's acceptable no matter how good his play is for his lack of goals. He has goals in him, he has proved in the past he has. He just needs to find some way of getting into the box more.

This for me too. A £6.5m player on £20,000+ per week wages really should be grabbing this league by the $$$$$$$$. So far, he's still failed to find the net even at this level. That's just not acceptable.

However......

Perhaps. But as I have repeatedly said, while we are winning and scoring and while he has such a positive effect, I am more than happy he stays doing what he is doing.

This is also correct to some extent. In this league, We're playing well and we've got other players that will score frequently. If Doyle plays his part towards that, then at least he's having some sort of impact.

If we go up though, things will be tougher again. Players will be coming up against better quality opposition defenders, and its unlikely we'll be scoring as many goals per game as we are now. Doyle WILL have to chip in more then if he's still here. Last season and the season before proved that you can carry players through games.

That's all irrelevant this season though. At the moment, we seem to have the right formula for this league - and Doyle is playing his part in it. We'll worry about next season and the Championship if we get there.

Doyle does seem to be having a big impact in our play in this league. I'm not convinced, and never have been, that he has as much impact and worth in the Championship and Premiership - and if we go up, I don't think he's as valuable to the team as he perhaps is this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Orbital Wolves

"Not acceptable"?

Do me a favour. We are twice the team with Doyle leading the line

D

Deleted member 3751

"Not acceptable"?

Do me a favour. We are twice the team with Doyle leading the line

He doesn't lead the line. Personally I think we'd be fine without Doyle and if we weren't paying him so much he'd be at Celtic. A very good player who's much more suited to playing up front for a side who'll be under the kosh than a side who'll dominate games.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Really glad we retained Doyler, he has played well linking midfield to our cutting edge. Also good at holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

He is forming a good understanding with Griffo which I hope continues to develop.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a question-how many goal scoring positions has Doyle got himself into since he got back into the team? I can't recall him missing a decent chance.

I said at the game last night that I thought Macallinden is far more of a goal threat than Doyle, but Doyle occupies the centre back as well as anyone. I thought the runs LM was making off the CB were excellent, I felt a bit for him leading the line on his own but saying that he did a very decent job and was a goal threat.
He seems to make more of his runs in the width of the 18yard box where as KD makes a lot of his down the wide channels. I'm not saying LM should start instead of KD but just comparing them as players.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Doyle plays 10 yards deeper so not a fair comparison IMO

Yep. A fairer comparison would be with Sigurdarson or Sako.

Good to hear that McAlinden played well and got his goal. That and the hat-trick against Fulham may well have put him ahead of Cassidy in the pecking order.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle is one of the best if not the best footballer at the club. That's a simple fact.

He may not be scoring goals but against Gillingham he was the cement that held that excellent performance together!

He has developed a great rapport with Griffiths and will prove an excellent foil for him. If LG is the goal scoring one of the partnership so be it. The goals and the play will flow more readily with Doyler in the side because he is a quality footballer!

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Speaking to someone I know who is now plying his trade in League 1 (I was asking him about McDonald as he's played with him) and he was saying that with Doyle he expects Wolves to win this league. Reckons Doyle is one of the hardest strikers to play against and will always create chances for any strike partner due to the work he puts in and his ability to cause defenders to move out of position. This is something that often gets overlooked. I used to great frustrated when Mick swapped Kightly/Jarvis to alternate wings (my view being, Jarvis is a premier left winger and a bog standard right winger) but speaking to someone I know who is a career fullback, he said it's actually horrible to play against a team that interchanges its wingers and also has a roaming striker, particularly in the lower leagues as it's difficult to keep a defence properly organised against an attack that changes so fluidly.

Personally, I'd ignore (and I genuinely mean that) Doyle's individual goal output and examine the team stats for chances created when Doyle plays vs when he doesn't.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle is one of the best if not the best footballer at the club. That's a simple fact.

He may not be scoring goals but against Gillingham he was the cement that held that excellent performance together!

He has developed a great rapport with Griffiths and will prove an excellent foil for him. If LG is the goal scoring one of the partnership so be it. The goals and the play will flow more readily with Doyler in the side because he is a quality footballer!

I'm a big fan of Kevin Doyle, but how is _your opinion_ a FACT?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Speaking to someone I know who is now plying his trade in League 1 (I was asking him about McDonald as he's played with him) and he was saying that with Doyle he expects Wolves to win this league. Reckons Doyle is one of the hardest strikers to play against and will always create chances for any strike partner due to the work he puts in and his ability to cause defenders to move out of position. This is something that often gets overlooked. I used to great frustrated when Mick swapped Kightly/Jarvis to alternate wings (my view being, Jarvis is a premier left winger and a bog standard right winger) but speaking to someone I know who is a career fullback, he said it's actually horrible to play against a team that interchanges its wingers and also has a roaming striker, particularly in the lower leagues as it's difficult to keep a defence properly organised against an attack that changes so fluidly.

Personally, I'd ignore (and I genuinely mean that) Doyle's individual goal output and examine the team stats for chances created when Doyle plays vs when he doesn't.

Completely agree with every word.

Those goals last night incidentally were the first we have scored this season without him starting the game.

F

FLEET WOLF

Doyle is to Griffiths as Mutch was to Bull

I understand your point, but Mutch's goals per game was considerably better than Doyle's (haven't checked that, but I am pretty confident about it). Likewise, Dougan and Richards both scored lots of goals.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. A fairer comparison would be with Sigurdarson or Sako.

Good to hear that McAlinden played well and got his goal. That and the hat-trick against Fulham may well have put him ahead of Cassidy in the pecking order.

Why would you compare a striker with a winger in Sako.

LM was up against the centre backs last night just the same as Doyle was against Crawley at home. No one is saying that Doyle is not this and that just the simple fact that he doesn't get himself in goal scoring positions. Saying he plays 10yds deeper (Don't agree) wont stop him getting in these positions, Macdonald, Evans both play another 20 yds deeper than KD but they are getting more chances than our centre forward..

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Kevin Doyle, but how is _your opinion_ a FACT?

He has his International Caps, International goals, Premier League appearances and goals, Championship Appearances and goals.

Nobody else at the club compares! Just a fact!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would you compare a striker with a winger in Sako.

LM was up against the centre backs last night just the same as Doyle was against Crawley at home. No one is saying that Doyle is not this and that just the simple fact that he doesn't get himself in goal scoring positions. Saying he plays 10yds deeper (Don't agree) wont stop him getting in these positions, Macdonald, Evans both play another 20 yds deeper than KD but they are getting more chances than our centre forward..

See JuliusCaesar post!!

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has his International Caps, International goals, Premier League appearances and goals, Championship Appearances and goals.

His merits = fact.
Him being the best player at the club = your opinion.

M

Mugwump

Being fair, his best football for Wolves was 2009/10, and he hasnt come close to that since. He was extremely ordinary last season, very poor the season before and in his second season with us he only really showed what he could do in fits and starts.

You might have a point if you were talking about the Doyler we signed in 2009, but the player we see now is nowhere near that bloke.

M

MK Panther

He would score lots more goals but he is the midfield link and upfront work horse. If he had better midfield and up front support it could start to happen for him again and there are flickerings of things starting to happen.

M

Mugwump

He would score lots more goals but he is the midfield link and upfront work horse. If he had better midfield and up front support it could start to happen for him again and there are flickerings of things starting to happen.

I really hope he can. Its not like he hasnt scored a decent amount of goals before. He just seems to have lost his scoring touch.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hear hear , bang in imo.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cracking post Julius!

Back
Top Bottom