Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Doyle Comments from ROI Game

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle added that his failure to earn a start in Astana was a "consequence" of dropping out of the Premier League because of Wolves' relegation last season.
"I can't expect to get picked for Ireland when there are two or three lads playing in the Premier League ahead of me.
"That's my own problem and my own fault. (I've got to) Get back playing at the highest level as soon as possible."

Maybe it's late and a few drinks but am i reading to much into this? He knows it will be a minimum 1 season with Wolves or January for a transfer.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too bothered if he went, even in January. Would be nice to keep him but if he does go, he's very replaceable.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a bit sloth like compared to Shane Long. it would definitely improve his chances at international level if he played in the premiership.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Poorly judged comments after being pumped up after the match. Poor- he may regret that.

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH if he'd done anything of note in the last 2 season he'd surely be in The Premiership now, as you say Kevin, its your fault.

Seriously though if he does find some sort of form, he can join the other splitters for me. As has been said he's definitely replacable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read the comments as meaning that he was saying it was his fault (alongside the rest of the Wolves players) for not playing well enough and getting relegated. He wants to put it right by getting us back in the Prem.

Funny how it's possible to see things so differently. Not saying I'm right by any means and I didn't see the interview live, but perception is a strange thing.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that - prefer to hear that than Fletcher/Jarvis feeling they have a god given right to play in the Prem (although I think they both deserved to stay up and didn't begrudge them leaving as it happens). At least Doyle shoulders some blame.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read the comments as meaning that he was saying it was his fault (alongside the rest of the Wolves players) for not playing well enough and getting relegated. He wants to put it right by getting us back in the Prem.

Funny how it's possible to see things so differently. Not saying I'm right by any means and I didn't see the interview live, but perception is a strange thing.

I read exactly the same Bristol (if I may be so familiar):wavey:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if he was playing in the Premiership, I still wouldn't fancy his chances of starting for the Republic Of Ireland.

He's hardly set the world alight over the past couple of seasons, and he couldn't hit a cows $$$$ with a banjo either.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No great loss....get Cassidy back, he seems to know where the net is

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's nae chance we'd let anyone decent go in January.

Mebbe at the end of the season though aye?

Don't know how Long doesn't get picked; he's twice the player he was 18 months ago.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Doyle's form doesn't pick up by Jan I suspect a move may be best for him and the club, but he'd go with my best wishes.

Easy to read too much into this comment though - he could easily be saying 'I've got to make sure I help Wolves get back to the highest level as soon as possible'. If he was as desperate as he seems in that statement he'd probably have agitated for a move in the window.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too bothered if he went, even in January. Would be nice to keep him but if he does go, he's very replaceable.

Sums up my thoughts on Doyle perfectly. However, I'd expect atleast an equal return on what we paid for him (£6.5 million) to be reinvested in another striker of a better quality in terms of goalscoring.

Reaction score
Sums up my thoughts on Doyle perfectly. However, I'd expect atleast an equal return on what we paid for him (£6.5 million) to be reinvested in another striker of a better quality in terms of goalscoring.

I think currently we'd be lucky to get £3million for him and more likely get bids of 2/2.5mill - hence selling shouldn't really be on our minds, make getting his confidence back top priority. An in form Doyle is way too good for this league, we just need to find it again.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed! There's absolutely no way we'd get £6.5m for Doyle. £3m would be more realistic.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has always seemed like a decent lad to me, without his head swayed by agents. Yes, he has not scored as many as we would have liked, but he is far from our biggest reason as to why we were relegated. IMO he is fronting up and laying the blame for his none selection firmly at his own door......

S

Sambucashot

Saying it is partly his fault that wev'e got relegated is refreshing realising that he's under achieved last season and not being big headed demanding a move. Starting to respect doyle a bit more for the comments he's saying these days

A

andyc225

For me he is taking his share of the blame. He has over 40 games now to put that right.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fully agree from what I've seen of him the past 18 months or so he thinks he's on easy street banking the money week after week. Mind you there's been plenty like that down the years at The Mol.

W

we8wba

He be off next summer if we don't go up same as he did reading

Already said he staying to regain confidence instead usuall prem struggle which grinds you down so in reality he's trying to recharge his batteries

What luaghable is people saying they'd sell for 2.5m, whodo you expect replacement for that much? Was linked juventus and arsenal last summer for 12m

A

andyc225

He be off next summer if we don't go up same as he did reading

Already said he staying to regain confidence instead usuall prem struggle which grinds you down so in reality he's trying to recharge his batteries

What luaghable is people saying they'd sell for 2.5m, whodo you expect replacement for that much? Was linked juventus and arsenal last summer for 12m

Ståle would find an obscure striker to replace him, no doubt.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle added that his failure to earn a start in Astana was a "consequence" of dropping out of the Premier League because of Wolves' relegation last season.
"I can't expect to get picked for Ireland when there are two or three lads playing in the Premier League ahead of me.
"That's my own problem and my own fault. (I've got to) Get back playing at the highest level as soon as possible."

And yet he played & scored. How many of the Irish squad actually play in the Prem? They're not that spoilt for choice.

The_Ned

Reaction score

This.

I guess he'll give us 1 season down and then leave for the prem if we don't get promoted. Fair enough really. If we could get his confidence back, he'll be a top player both down here and in the prem.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think currently we'd be lucky to get £3million for him and more likely get bids of 2/2.5mill - hence selling shouldn't really be on our minds, make getting his confidence back top priority. An in form Doyle is way too good for this league, we just need to find it again.

If he has a good season this year and scores 15-20 goals then I personally think £6.5 million is justified if we don't go up. If he has another crap season then i'd agree with you that if he really wanted to leave, £3 million.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle, the team, the club and all of us all want to be back in the Premier League, so I don't see the point of this thread - his explanation is the same one used many times by managers and players as to why some players don't get picked fo internationals. Now he has provided an assist and scored, Trappatoni might have to think again. Doyle is an intelligent, aware man, committed to the club and learning to play the Stale way quicker than others. My bet he will blossom once again this season. Our goals can now come from a wider number of players than over the past 3 seasons, so we are moving towards the more modern game in which Doyle and Sig can play together and make chances for others, one another and finish the odd few themselves.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This place has been weighed down by so much spin that it can be hard to recognise a bit of honesty.

He has committed to the caused so why this thread?

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

That's my take on it too. Doyler's one of us now.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's one of those quotes which can be interrogated as to whether he either means one thing or the other. But with Trapatonni's antics in the past about Doyle playing for a better club than Wolves, it's certainly questionable.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle, the team, the club and all of us all want to be back in the Premier League, so I don't see the point of this thread - his explanation is the same one used many times by managers and players as to why some players don't get picked fo internationals. Now he has provided an assist and scored, Trappatoni might have to think again. Doyle is an intelligent, aware man, committed to the club and learning to play the Stale way quicker than others. My bet he will blossom once again this season. Our goals can now come from a wider number of players than over the past 3 seasons, so we are moving towards the more modern game in which Doyle and Sig can play together and make chances for others, one another and finish the odd few themselves.

Good post.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a bit sloth like compared to Shane Long. it would definitely improve his chances at international level if he played in the premiership.

But only because then he could say he is a Premiership player...got nothing to do with his performance. For the last 2 years he has been a Prem player and, to be frank, has been bloody awfull. The fact he now plays in the championship is his partly his own fault.

Man up and get on with it.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The amount of time KD continues at the club will be determined by him, Stale and the club. If that is limited to one season, then I say thanks to Kevin, he showed more loyalty to the club than others. In the case of those who did leave before this season the one I felt that sold the club down the river was Fletcher by putting in a transfer request and thereby undermining the clubs hand in negotiating the fee.

M

Mugwump

Do your talking on the pitch where it matters Doyler. If you don't you won't be going anywhere even if you want to leave.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has always seemed like a decent lad to me, without his head swayed by agents. Yes, he has not scored as many as we would have liked, but he is far from our biggest reason as to why we were relegated. IMO he is fronting up and laying the blame for his none selection firmly at his own door......

Agree 100% O/G-and all credit to him-if only one or two others had had the same attitude eh!

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he has a good season this year and scores 15-20 goals then I personally think £6.5 million is justified if we don't go up. If he has another crap season then i'd agree with you that if he really wanted to leave, £3 million.

If Doyle scores 20 goals this season, then i'll run on to the pitch during the last home game of the season, wearing a Jez Moxey mask, holding a pie in one hand and a pint in the other.

He scored a whopping four goals last season. Eight the season before that. Nine the season prior to that. He's scored less and less goals as the seasons have progressed throughout his career, therefore, it looks like his better days are behind him.

He's only ever got double figures three times in his career - back in 2008, 2006 and 2005 - all for Reading. None for us. Two of those occasions 6 years+ ago. He's never ever scored 20 goals in a season. His highest is 18 goals. The next best is something like 13 goals.

Do people still think he's worth £6m? Those stats are average, and I see nothing from him that suggests we'd miss him if he left. I don't buy into the whole "but he gets assists" argument. Goals get us out of this league - to which Doyle offers very little.

It baffles me why people think Doyle is "class" on here, yet Ebanks-Blake is $$$$ and past it despite him only starting 8 games last year and still scoring three goals - one less than Doyle who played far more often.

The season before that, Ebanks also scored one less than Doyle - seven goals in eleven starts. Before that, he got two goals, then before that, he got 25 goals in 41 starts for us, and before that, another 25 goals in one season - 12 of which were for us in 20 starts.

I'm not trying to start a "who is better - Doyle or Ebanks" debate - but it baffles me why people see Doyle as "class" and worth £6m, yet Ebanks is $$$$ and past it and should be sold for £500,000 despite having a far better goals per game ratio than Doyle.

Doyle could leave tomorrow and it will have zero impact on our team. We're certainly not going to score less goals.....

Of course, Arsenal showed an interest in Doyle, so that automatically makes him an amazing player......

Back
Top Bottom