Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diego Costa

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Work permit sorted, what a surprise.
Aww bless, Well done! The surprise is you going so far back to prove a point. Even though I actually didn't say he wouldn't get it and all I said is I can see him not getting it, this must still feel like a big win for you, so Well Done!!

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he's very likely to be pretty **** now, but I'm buzzing for this transfer.

After 8 months of training alone at home in Madrid, he made his debut for Athletico Mineiro 9 days after signing.

He scored.

When asked about rustiness in a post match interview, he simply replied, "I know the ball".

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the quote on the E&S podcast when he first met his Chelsea team mates he’s quoted as saying ‘I’m going to war and you’re coming with me’

It could go horribly wrong but I can see him becoming a cult hero. He reminds me of Dougan and Robertson both players who were seen at the end of their careers who through example got the best out of those around them., particularly in the case of Dougan who before he came to Wolves never stayed anywhere long and was seen as a bit of a trouble maker.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the quote on the E&S podcast when he first met his Chelsea team mates he’s quoted as saying ‘I’m going to war and you’re coming with me’

It could go horribly wrong but I can see him becoming a cult hero. He reminds me of Dougan and Robertson both players who were seen at the end of their careers who through example got the best out of those around them., particularly in the case of Dougan who before he came to Wolves never stayed anywhere long and was seen as a bit of a trouble maker.

From everything I've read, I think he will bring a much needed lift to the club. Fans, players, everything!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When he was at Chelsea I thought Costa was a pain in the backside who just tried to wind everyone up. I wonder if that is the same Costa we are getting, or has he mellowed with age?

I hope not… :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brexit should have been all about that we as a country make a decision as to who comes here to work. It should not automatically exclude anyone who an organisation want to come here to work. Like most things we have problems because of all the bearocrats.
As a career "bureaucrat" (over 35 years!) l better explain that we put into practice what elected politicians direct. We may offer suggestions/options about how that is done but ultimately politicians decide....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow. Some serious condescension there. OK, I'll bite.

For some industries, the Home Office passes responsibility for work permits/visas to accredited bodies. For example, the Institute of Mechanical Engineers deal with applications for mechanical engineers, the IET would deal with Electrical Technicians, RICS would deal with Building Surveyors.

In Football's case, responsibility for reviewing applications, issuing permits/visas, hearing appeals etc. rests with the FA, as they are authorised to do this on behalf of the Home Office. Although the Home Office sets the over-arching policy, the FA developed the rules, criteria and the processes.

I would be 99% certain that nobody from the Home Office or the UK Government has even seen Costa's application, never mind had anything to do with the decision-making and appeals process. It's handled by the FA panel.

So to answer your original question. I seem to have a better idea as to how Government REALLY works than you do.
What the Home Office will never do is hand over responsibility for the country's borders to such groups. They will offer advice, based on criteria agreed with the Home Office (UKVI to be precise), but the latter makes the final decision based on inter alia factors other than professional ability (which is why Ruben Semedo was never going to get a work permit).

After 35 years in Whitehall l definitely know how Government works!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair the Premier League and FA are able to provide Governing Body Exemptions (GBE) and as the Governing body they recommend whether a player gets a permit or not based on the points system. The Home Office issue the work permit but on the Governing Body’s advice, it would be rare for them to go against it.

In Costa’s case We have to go to Exemption panel and we may have/had to for Traore. In the PL Manual it states:

‘If the Player is a Free Agent, the Player’s Current Club is the club the Player played in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made. If the Player is a Free Agent and was not registered for any club in the half of the season immediately before the date the application is made, he shall not be granted any points for the criteria which adopt this definition.’

The Brazilian season runs from April to November so by my reckoning Costa gets no points so the exemption will be based on exceptional player.
Correct except that professional ability is not the only factor considered (e.g. past criminal record).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the thing that could scupper the appeal is the principle that allowing him a work permit is effectively denying an out of work UK national an opportunity to work. Whether that would apply when the available home grown possible candidates are the multi millionaires Daniel Sturridge and Andy Carroll I'm not so sure.
If you applied that logic no foreign players would ever get work permits in any sport.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aww bless, Well done! The surprise is you going so far back to prove a point. Even though I actually didn't say he wouldn't get it and all I said is I can see him not getting it, this must still feel like a big win for you, so Well Done!!

Just try and remember the world isn’t out to get us ;)

Back
Top Bottom