Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diego Costa

fleck1

Reaction score
I don't mind this deal. Experienced, plays with a bit of edge which we lack, low risk on a deal to the end of the season. The sasa injury is unfortunate but you can't just keep signing players in case of injury, with Raul & Sasa backed up by Guedes, Hwang and Neto who have all played a lot of football through the middle we had plenty of options. Obviously Costa is past his peak, but cup games and cover from the bench he'll be more than handy and I'm sure will be keen to impress with a deal only offered until the end of the season. He's a centre backs worse nightmare, an absolute dog on the field and in your face, but from all accounts he's a good team mate and good value around the training ground.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think that’s fair.

In an article about his injury hit time in Madrid, it was mentioned that he maintained his usual positive spirit with his team mates, which was good to see (although his frequency of injuries less so!). From a fitness point of view, his 2021 highlights reel still showed a mobile, if slow, player who is skilful, robust, holds up and links, and has an eye for goal.

I think your Jose comment is spot on. That’s key for me - is his heart in it? Is he hungry to return to the PL and have some fun, or just looking for a pay check? If the former, and he’s kept himself fit as is IG posts suggest, then I’m excited. I am not counting chickens mind after our experience with Jose.
Which Instagram posts, the most recent has him swigging a beer in at least two scenes in the collage :D

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can only sign free agents. Which leaves us really with only Costa, Carroll or Vydra. Do you you think we should not consider all three ?
No I don’t think we should consider all three.

Costa is a consideration only. Nothing guaranteed.

Forget Carroll and Vydra imo, Carroll is probably less fit than Costa and Vydra is nowhere near good enough.

If Costa doesn’t work out, go with what we’ve got till the January transfer window. Hopefully Raul will start producing. Hwang and Guedes when necessary up front as well.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lads starting on saturday cus raul wont be fit,
Assuming Raul wasn’t just protesting and he’s actually not fit. Not to cast aspersions on his character but at this point I’d prefer he was acting out.

It would be mad to play Diego right away, and to start him would be as crazy as starting him in a CL final with a serious hamstring injury. What are we going to do, give him a full-body horse placenta massage?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming Raul wasn’t just protesting and he’s actually not fit. Not to cast aspersions on his character but at this point I’d prefer he was acting out.

It would be mad to play Diego right away, and to start him would be as crazy as starting him in a CL final with a serious hamstring injury. What are we going to do, give him a full-body horse placenta massage?
agreed it would be mad, but i didnt think hed play sasa with no training.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way he will fail our medical is if he arrives in a wheelchair pulled by a guide dog, with a mate carrying his lower limbs in a shopping bag.
"Sorry we can't sign you when your like that. But can your mate play?
What about the guide dog?"

Reaction score
Mauro Icardi’s been left out of PSG’s Champions League squad. Imagine PSG would be happy to tear up his contract and get his wages off the books and maybe Mendes could help ‘free him up’.

If we’re going to sign someone high risk with serious baggage, we might as well sign someone who’s still fit and capable of scoring plenty of goals.

Icardi’s reportedly divorcing from his wife and agent and a fresh start in the Prem could be what he needs. It’s less of a risk than Costa I’d say and bigger upside too.

We should have signed experienced cover for both CB and CF before the window closed but we are where we are.
I think the player needs to be a free agent at end of transfer window

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tim Vickery on Sky Sports was saying how good this deal could be for Wolves, short term. He was quite in praise of the move. Went to Atletico Mineiro but wasnt really needed as they had a good team. Also said his kids (like a lot of Brazilian footballers) couldnt settle in their home country due to safety, and the only other club interested in him was Rayo Vallecano but they couldnt agree terms.

T-dot-wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Honestly surprised they haven’t even looked at Ilicic. Yeah he’s old but he’s a very good footballer

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest alarm bell to this is the fact no one has signed him up over the summer (including us), it could be a good move, but I do think people will need to temper their expectations.
If it proves to be a roaring success it will be as much luck as judgment.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How fit do you need to be to run around the 18yard box, he hardly ever leaves it.
Looking forward to the havoc he is going to cause if he signs.
hes probably not match fit, but general condition hes look well from post on social media

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we have scored three goals this season in the league
1 x worldy
2 x scuffers

Podence and Neves. Zero league goals from Raul , Neto Guedes , Traore.

I hope he comes here and I hope he is involved against the Scousers and Citeh and I would love it really love it if he scores.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How fit do you need to be to run around the 18yard box, he hardly ever leaves it.
Looking forward to the havoc he is going to cause if he signs.

He‘s going to be offside all match if that’s the case.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
As long as his legs will carry him from the box back out to an onside position for 20 minutes he'll be fine...

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure, but Sasa is in his physical prime and had been playing high-level football. Of course I have hope for Costa but he’s not walking in the door ready for action. I know we’ve seen a neck-up photo and some gym equipment but it’s probably going to be weeks before he’s ready.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tim Vickery on Sky Sports was saying how good this deal could be for Wolves, short term. He was quite in praise of the move. Went to Atletico Mineiro but wasnt really needed as they had a good team. Also said his kids (like a lot of Brazilian footballers) couldnt settle in their home country due to safety, and the only other club interested in him was Rayo Vallecano but they couldnt agree terms.
Didn't Rayo Vallecano's manager threaten to resign if they signed Costa? This is certainly a last resort, and has come about because we put all our eggs into the basket of a striker with a long list of previous injuries.

There's a very good chance he contributes almost nothing, but just that small chance of him returning to fitness and finding that spark inside him again being back in the Premier League, is worth the gamble.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sasa had played 3 Bundesliga matches for Stuttgart this season, grabbing 3 assists in them, so he must have been match fit. I can't believe any special training is needed changing from the Bundesliga to the Premier League. It's just running around and kicking a ball?

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is going to be my favourite signing/transfer.
And it's not even in the transfer window. Who'd have thunk it?

Back
Top Bottom