Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diego Costa

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A better player but very much akin to Jose in terms of output .I am desperate for him to get a goal but how long can we wait ?

Its the same with Hwang and Guedes. The lack of goals is beyond shocking.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't think Costa was good, but thought we were worse when he went off and Hwang took up the role. We need someone for the role the rest of the season, if Jimenez isn't going to be the man we can do much worse than bring Silva back and make him first choice centre forward

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Costa today gave me flashbacks of Ray Hankin.
I’m 60 and can sprint just slow, can shoot just as weak, can take 3 touches to lay off a simple ball and can hide behind defenders just as well as Diego Costa.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m 60 and can sprint just slow, can shoot just as weak, can take 3 touches to lay off a simple ball and can hide behind defenders just as well as Diego Costa.
Costa with one leg would still be quicker than Ray Hankin :tearsofjoy:.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa is proving to be a waste of space and wages!
No desire to really contribute, just going to be totally ineffective!
Shouldn't be in the team, or on bench.
Far too chatty and friendly to opposition players!
Seemingly not concerned if we lose !
Bring back Silva PDQ !!!
SUBBING him at ht was a blessing!!

T

TheConcourse

I don’t see a world where Fabio offers less. He can get around the pitch, always puts in the effort, makes some brilliant runs and actually has a pretty good touch.

Is this really on Costa though?

We’re into a serious amount of forward players off the conveyor belt who bring nothing.

I really hope Cunha is the man to plug the gap between midfield and attack. Moutinho most definitely isn’t.

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
If Jimenez is fully fit he should be starting. Costa is still a physical presence and would be more effective coming on as a sub, bullying tiring defenders. As for Hwang, a complete waste of a space in the squad. Offers nothing.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see a world where Fabio offers less. He can get around the pitch, always puts in the effort, makes some brilliant runs and actually has a pretty good touch.

Is this really on Costa though?

We’re into a serious amount of forward players off the conveyor belt who look simply dreadful.

I really hope Cunha is the man to plug the gap between midfield and attack. Moutinho most definitely isn’t.

Its a ridiculous situation ... Wolves, a club with one of the lowest goal tallies in all the English leagues over the last couple of seasons, with a £35m 20 year old striker into his 3rd season at the club , send him out on loan to bring in an injury prone Austrian , who breaks down in his first game.
Instead of just bringing him back and cancelling the loan ( paying compensation) we bring in a 35 year old who's best days are long behind him, who ironically would probably be a benefit to Fabio to be training with him.

I was excited by Costa coming in but on the proviso we bought Silva back too..... its obvious now Costa is way, way off the pace.... he struggles to even put enough weight on those 5 yard passes that usually don't find a team mate.
He looks like he's enjoying himself, joking with the opposition defenders and trying to get under the keepers skin but its all a bit like a charity/ exhibition game where former star players are trotted out for 45 mins to entertain the fans and have a bit of a laugh with their old mates.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gerimmm in.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa is proving to be a waste of space and wages!
No desire to really contribute, just going to be totally ineffective!
Shouldn't be in the team, or on bench.
Far too chatty and friendly to opposition players!
Seemingly not concerned if we lose !
Bring back Silva PDQ !!!
SUBBING him at ht was a blessing!!
Suggest you corner Costa after training and tell him he is a waste of space... :)

He is of course but yet again we are shafted by bizarre transfer ins/outs....

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Costa is anywhere near the first team end of January than we are in trouble.He holds it well but that's about it. When he gets into a good goal scoring position he literally passes it back to the goal-keeper.I agree with others we have to bring back Silva if we can't get another forward in.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suggest you corner Costa after training and tell him he is a waste of space... :)

He is of course but yet again we are shafted by bizarre transfer ins/outs....
No way would I corner him after training, HW!

I'd hold his coat for him, whilst he physically sorted his no mark critics, Then tell him he's doing a BRILLIANT job for us!!

OK I'm a coward when it comes to a knuckle fight !!

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
There must be something seriously wrong with Jimenez if Costa is keeping him out of the team.
Costa as a player is totally gone, his brain knows what to do but his body can’t do it.
He’d struggle at walking football, he offers nothing, it’s sad to see.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of an over reaction on here , but it’s quite clear he doesn’t have the legs any more , which is essential in the prem

Cunha first choice. Raul first substitute from 65 from now I think

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just shows how different a game can appear on TV, I thought he worked very hard but often was coming so deep we had nobody up front, including a great tackle on Bruno I think, he isn't the man to take us forward but I think we missed a focal point when he went off.

Anyone know if he was injured?
Has anyone answered this? I think a lot of people on here are assuming Lopetegui wanted him off. I think it's more likely he had a knock. Hwang up front certainly didn't help, although Adama did. Double sub of Costa and Hwang for Raul and Adama would have been my choice, but maybe Raul doesn't have 45 mins yet (which is a scary thought too).

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My view is, and agree I very old school, weened on The Doog, but you want your CF in the box, getting on the end of crosses.

We bossed Manure in 1st half, but as JL said post-match, more chances create, more goals you score

Passing and ball retention is need for game control, but sometimes, just need box it.

Lusaka at last Chelsea time, was another example...he made the runs etc...but like Costa, if on my team, my mantra would be, " if not pass to Costa, pass to Adama"....

...worked for Waggy and Doog

...and Bully and Mutch

captain chaos

Groupie
Reaction score
My view is, and agree I very old school, weened on The Doog, but you want your CF in the box, getting on the end of crosses.

We bossed Manure in 1st half, but as JL said post-match, more chances create, more goals you score

Passing and ball retention is need for game control, but sometimes, just need box it.

Lusaka at last Chelsea time, was another example...he made the runs etc...but like Costa, if on my team, my mantra would be, " if not pass to Costa, pass to Adama"....

...and Bully and Mutch
Totally agree with this, one of our biggest problems is we don’t actually put crosses into the box. I feel this is the reason why Costa now and Raul before are now dropping deeper and going into the channels to try to get the ball. To many of our players get into decent positions to cross and then check back or play an easy ball backwards.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa is a has been and sadly Jiminez will never be the same and should leave for a big payday in the MLS,Silva probably won't make it in the Prem,Sasa is injury prone -all that money wasted -no room for sentimentality if you want to stay up .Let's hope Cunha works out.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

...and Bully and Mutch
Agree, and that why it was a bit strange to bring Costa off for Traore; surely you need both of them on the pitch. Or Raul and Traore. Along with a quick poacher who can get on the end of the knock downs.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but it’s really surprised and saddened me just what’s happened to Raul. We are not talking a slight drop off, a reluctance to put his head in. We are taking full on career changing challenge. The fact he cant get minutes ahead of a semi retired Costa speaks volumes.

T

TheConcourse

Slightly off topic, but it’s really surprised and saddened me just what’s happened to Raul. We are not talking a slight drop off, a reluctance to put his head in. We are taking full on career changing challenge. The fact he cant get minutes ahead of a semi retired Costa speaks volumes.
This is layered in assumption, but I think he’s checked out of life at Wolves and he’s ready to move on this January.

Like you say, incredibly sad to see one of the top #9’s in the league lose his career to a total thug.

The Jimenez and Neto injuries killed us on the pitch and wiped £150m worth of assets off for the club.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is layered in assumption, but I think he’s checked out of life at Wolves and he’s ready to move on this January.

Like you say, incredibly sad to see one of the top #9’s in the league lose his career to a total thug.

The Jimenez and Neto injuries killed us on the pitch and wiped £150m worth of assets off for the club.
Could probably add the Jonny injuries to our major woes...

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't really get why we took him off? I dunno what Loptegui's plan was for the second half. Traore Hwang Podence all playing all over the shop with moutinho just behind.
Hopefully this is just because of what he has currently available to him, because if it's not we're seeing the same solutions that don't solve the same problems.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa is a has been and sadly Jiminez will never be the same and should leave for a big payday in the MLS,Silva probably won't make it in the Prem,Sasa is injury prone -all that money wasted -no room for sentimentality if you want to stay up .Let's hope Cunha works out.
I agree, Costa is a physical presence, but defenders manage him with ease.

RANs goal against Everton highlighted his lack of mobility. He was slow to react and fell over waving a foot in the air. Way past it.

I can only think he starts because Julen wants to sell Raul, and I can see Cunha playing alongside Costa, not replacing him.

We were lucky against Everton, and unlucky against United. But if we don't buy a striker who can finish we will go down.

Reactions: Ian

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RANs goal against Everton highlighted his lack of mobility. He was slow to react and fell over waving a foot in the air. Way past it.

He went for the overhead kick on Adama's original cross pre-deflection. Can't begrudge him that.

T

TheConcourse

Problem is who else could we have signed outside the window.
We should never have been in that position.
Same goes for January. Who let’s their profiles strikers go halfway through a season?

It’s either a punt (Championship) or a salvage job (benched and lacking confidence).

Last edited by a moderator:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see who starts vs Villa……Cunha, Raul or Costa?

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I didn't really get why we took him off? I dunno what Loptegui's plan was for the second half. Traore Hwang Podence all playing all over the shop with moutinho just behind.
Hopefully this is just because of what he has currently available to him, because if it's not we're seeing the same solutions that don't solve the same problems.
I didn't get the 2nd half plan I have to say

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel sorry for him, he’s playing with flakey hit and miss **** beside him

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

...and Bully and Mutch

Problem is and as we saw, we bossed Man U first half with Costa making tackles on the edge of his own box, when we give up the extra defender which is what our forwards have become then we look a lot shakier defensively.

Back
Top Bottom