Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Crystal Palace Ultras

• Thread starter Deleted member 13560twfw
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13560twfw

Drums are allowed in stadiums aren't they, as long as they're searched before entry? Usually the case anyway, but perhaps it's down to the individual clubs.

I love it when Punjabi Wolves turn up at games so would feel a bit foolish criticising others for doing similar.

The flares is a separate thing and definitely not allowed, but oh well. Maybe me rewatching The Sopranos at the moment has me thinking 'what you gonna do?' about everything and not wanting to sound like a rat ;)
I was just surprised drums are allowed in the ground, yet it's clear other people on the mix know more about them than me. I wouldn't really know anything about them. If they had been quiet, and just watched the game. Yet, if they want to raise the decibels, fair play to them. Yet, it's the repetition of the banging of the drum. It's one of the most annoying sounds I can begin to imagine.

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That play off game in 97 was probably the loudest I've heard Molineux, both sets of fans.
It was an amazing atmosphere that night, loudest I remember Molineux apart from the Man Utd Cup QF. There were only about 500 palace fans from memory that night in the bottom of the Steve Bull and it was split with Wolves fans also in there?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember a lady that rang a large cowbell at Maine Road.
Back in the day (way, way, way back) there was a nutter in the South Bank who used to constantly ring a loud bell, like the ones they used to use in schools to signal the end of the day. A kid called the 'bell monitor' would run around the outside of our school ringing it. Would be late 50s.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the day (way, way, way back) there was a nutter in the South Bank who used to constantly ring a loud bell, like the ones they used to use in schools to signal the end of the day. A kid called the 'bell monitor' would run around the outside of our school ringing it. Would be late 50s.
Pompey still have a clown who does that. I seem to recall that he had his bell nicked at Molineux back in the day.

caradon wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Indeed, the teacher on duty at break and dinnertime at WGS came outside and handrung a large bell to signal the need to go to lessons.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t like drums in grounds generally, tolerable at lower league football maybe, but not Premier League.

And don’t get me started on that ****ing England band.

Not very original either. Just too loud, too monotonous.

Something original, perhaps like a jazz flute, I could get behind.

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

I am not sure on the facts, so if I get this wrong, I apologise in advance. Yet, my assumption of the situation at Wolves. Was during the 80's. We had the Yam Yam Army/The Subway Crew. Who used to get into scraps with the West Brom Fans. A lot of the Yam Yam's, used to go to England games and kick off also. Got their passports conviscated by Police during England games. There used to be a pub, outside Molineux, where all the burger bars/tika food machines are. That got closed down. You some times get Wolves fans throwing coins at the away bus, yet this is in the minority. Yet, the Yam Yam's army, have been stopped. By Police. As they have basically, banned the Liquadator. From Molineux. Just because we shout **** off West Brom. And I guess the point I am making is. That I think Molineux would be a better atmosphere if we had the Liquadator. But because of political correctness. It isn't there anymore. Yet, other teams, are allowed to play it. So it just seems like West Midlands Police, just shut the whole thing down. Where as the Met Police, just are more laid back, and just let Crystal Palace fans scrap. Yet all they do is nick the trouble makers. I could be wrong. Yet, that's what I think happened.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sure on the facts, so if I get this wrong, I apologise in advance. Yet, my assumption of the situation at Wolves. Was during the 80's. We had the Yam Yam Army/The Subway Crew. Who used to get into scraps with the West Brom Fans. A lot of the Yam Yam's, used to go to England games and kick off also. Got their passports conviscated by Police during England games. There used to be a pub, outside Molineux, where all the burger bars/tika food machines are. That got closed down. You some times get Wolves fans throwing coins at the away bus, yet this is in the minority. Yet, the Yam Yam's army, have been stopped. By Police. As they have basically, banned the Liquadator. From Molineux. Just because we shout **** off West Brom. And I guess the point I am making is. That I think Molineux would be a better atmosphere if we had the Liquadator. But because of political correctness. It isn't there anymore. Yet, other teams, are allowed to play it. So it just seems like West Midlands Police, just shut the whole thing down. Where as the Met Police, just are more laid back, and just let Crystal Palace fans scrap. Yet all they do is nick the trouble makers. I could be wrong. Yet, that's what I think happened.
That'll be the "laid back" Met police which had officers accompanying Brentford on Saturday l assume. Having lived in the Smoke since the mid-80s and worked closely with elements of the Met off and on l can safely say that "laid back" they certainly ain't!

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Slow down. Breathe. Think.
This has all come from you not liking Palace fans banging drums during a match you were watching?
All clubs have idiots who'll be up for a fight, but the drums don't equate to hooliganism.

Reaction score
It's just annoying me, because I was trying to watch the Crystal Palace v Chelsea game, and instead of enjoying the game. It's just lots of people banging on drums for 90 minutes. And it ruined the enjoyment of watching the game for me really.
Lest get these pesky fans to shut up so we can watch the TV game in peace. Is that what you mean?

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

Ok, maybe I had a brain fart, and over reacted. Apologies about this. Hope everyone can understand I humbly apologise for sounding over the top in my thread, and I did over react, and because I don't know the facts. I hope everyone has a lovely day. Now I am going to eat humble pie for a bit and watch the Champions Leauge tonight on TnT sports.

Attachments

• artworks-p7zLjOXDbOvD-0-t500x500.jpg
    artworks-p7zLjOXDbOvD-0-t500x500.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The West Midlands Police, by all accounts, had nothing to do with banning the Liquidator at Moineux. The club simply stopped playing it because it was trying to create a 'family-friendly atmosphere' and didn't think that several thousand people all yelling **** OFF WEST BROM in unison was conducive to that end!

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Reading some of these comments, you can tell we are an ageing fan base. The atmosphere at the ground now is just like most other Prem grounds, crap. We had something about us when we first came up, we now just sit on our hands. A drum if used correctly can start the singing going when the ground becomes like the library we mock when we go away. Just like the old air horns of the 70's, it doesnt need to be used as a beating consistent pain in the backside background, just something to get it going again. The big issue with a lot of this is as my opening line, ageing fan base, not enough younger enthusiastic fans, and this is down to the poor lack of ground investment by the Club stopping a greater mix of age groups. We need to get more creative without going down the crappy ultra's route, some of ya need to be more opened minded.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading some of these comments, you can tell we are an ageing fan base. The atmosphere at the ground now is just like most other Prem grounds, crap. We had something about us when we first came up, we now just sit on our hands. A drum if used correctly can start the singing going when the ground becomes like the library we mock when we go away. Just like the old air horns of the 70's, it doesnt need to be used as a beating consistent pain in the backside background, just something to get it going again. The big issue with a lot of this is as my opening line, ageing fan base, not enough younger enthusiastic fans, and this is down to the poor lack of ground investment by the Club stopping a greater mix of age groups. We need to get more creative without going down the crappy ultra's route, some of ya need to be more opened minded.
Our fan base reflects our society. The young are priced out, only the old have spare cash to spend watching football.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Our fan base reflects our society. The young are priced out, only the old have spare cash to spend watching football.
So how come its not the same at other clubs ? The ground whilst we are in the Prem is holding us back. Also why cant the older element get involved, by the way im 57, so not being ageist

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So how come its not the same at other clubs ? The ground whilst we are in the Prem is holding us back. Also why cant the older element get involved, by the way im 57, so not being ageist
Nothing against the older element getting involved, but we need the next generations getting in.
Personally I’d love to see a huge South Bank that’s max 50% season ticket holders and the rest cheaply priced to get the youth in. Next generation sorted and atmosphere sorted in one fell swoop.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say its fair that Wolves is an aging fanbase, Wolves away generally is always quite elderly, especially when compared to other clubs. Tends to be a Midlands thing, as the London clubs (e.g. an Arsenal) tend to be much younger.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The drums don't bother me. They can ring bells, throw flares, do the Poznan, burn an effigy of Howard Webb or do the macarena in lycra and gimp masks for all I care - if it's legal and the club has risk assessed it and decided it's acceptable, I don't think we are in any position to dictate whether it should or shouldn't be allowed. Especially when you consider we tried 'the impossible dream' of generating an atmosphere with a funeral song and hymn sheets to force a 'club anthem' that caused death by cringina

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we as fans either get behind the team or we dont, which at the minute we arent. We even retired our best sung Nuno had a dream, cause he left, do we think Nuno would tell the Forest fans not to sing it ? The club are doing my head in not expanding the ground, we will end paying for it when all these kids follow someone else.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Nothing against the older element getting involved, but we need the next generations getting in.
Personally I’d love to see a huge South Bank that’s max 50% season ticket holders and the rest cheaply priced to get the youth in. Next generation sorted and atmosphere sorted in one fell swoop.
100% this, however the club will treble the cost of doing it by trying to build in corporate that we cant sell, and then not bother doing it because of that. Its the fit out that costs loads, build the bare bones extension with the seats and a larger concourse, and then leave room to build corporate if its needed. Pretty sure this would be an affordable way of doing it and perhaps looking to pay for it over the next 10 years.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The West Midlands Police, by all accounts, had nothing to do with banning the Liquidator at Moineux. The club simply stopped playing it because it was trying to create a 'family-friendly atmosphere' and didn't think that several thousand people all yelling **** OFF WEST BROM in unison was conducive to that end!
No, don't think that's right. They asked us to stop as they somehow related it to actual violence. The club (and West Brom) agreed to stop playing it (maybe because of the whole 'family friendly' idea, but let's face it that's a bit of a joke). Both clubs stopped playing it, but the Albion reintroduced it. Wouldn't be surprised if they stopped it again now as apparently 80 minutes after singing it there's a sudden desire to punch coppers.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To quote the legendary Buster Bloodvessel...
I doewanna work I just wanna bang on my drum all day...

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I had a brain fart, and over reacted. Apologies about this. Hope everyone can understand I humbly apologise for sounding over the top in my thread, and I did over react, and because I don't know the facts. I hope everyone has a lovely day. Now I am going to eat humble pie for a bit and watch the Champions Leauge tonight on TnT sports.

Hope you aren't watching the City game, there are at least 6 drummers in that Copenhagen end !!

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Hope you aren't watching the City game, there are at least 6 drummers in that Copenhagen end !!
I thought it was only me--miserable old geezer--but I was pleased to read that others hate the endless drumming you hear during Crystal Palace games. There's another one at Arsenal--you can see him at the front behind one of the goals--but mostly they seem to be limited to lower divisions and other countries (Germany, MLS, for example). My main objection is that they are just noise--no rhythm, no relationship to chants or what's going on during the game. What passes for drumming at Palace is a far cry from samba drumming at Brazilian games. So far as I know, drums are not universally banned, unlike the even more abominable vuvuzelas. Some clubs allow drums; others do not--thank you Wolves.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was an amazing atmosphere that night, loudest I remember Molineux apart from the Man Utd Cup QF. There were only about 500 palace fans from memory that night in the bottom of the Steve Bull and it was split with Wolves fans also in there?
I think you are right, I was in the SB upper and it was proper loud.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, don't think that's right. They asked us to stop as they somehow related it to actual violence. The club (and West Brom) agreed to stop playing it (maybe because of the whole 'family friendly' idea, but let's face it that's a bit of a joke). Both clubs stopped playing it, but the Albion reintroduced it. Wouldn't be surprised if they stopped it again now as apparently 80 minutes after singing it there's a sudden desire to punch coppers.
Is there any hard evidence either way? I don't think the club has ever explained it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom