Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Corica, was he as bad as I thought he was.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I was watching the highlights from the Blues game in 95/96. Some of the passes Corica played were fantastic. However at the time I recall complaining about him all the time. Was he just ahead of the game and not physical enough for the league as it was or was I just wrong?

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought Michael Branch was a similar player to Steve Corica. At his best he was very good but usually he was just lightweight....

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very lightweight, plus I think any midfielder that didn't get stuck in used to get abuse around that time. Mark Atkins received terrible stick.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite skilful but about as suited to English football as climbing Scafell Pike in stilettos.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I remember a very good passer of the ball but just not cut out for the rigours of English football. And definitely not worth the money.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
He certainly was a big disappointment at the time, in hindsight I think he would have fared much better in today’s game (albeit not at our current level!)

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was about on a par with 'super' mo Camara but without the general hilarity.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic in training apparently

The McGhee days make me cringe
McGoo was the biggest con of all time. He was supposed to be the great white hope but was more like Bob Hope.
Worse than that though we were disliked by so many neutral fans for poaching him from Leicester who had to settle for O'Neill as a replacement:rolleyes:. This dislike for us I would say has only been reversed by the present time under Nuno.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember McGhee saying at the time how lucky we were to sign him. I was a season ticket holder during that era and it was generally pretty dire. I remember somebody remarking that 'we had signed the only Aussie wimp'. Just about sums it up for me.

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was watching the highlights from the Blues game in 95/96. Some of the passes Corica played were fantastic. However at the time I recall complaining about him all the time. Was he just ahead of the game and not physical enough for the league as it was or was I just wrong?

Jamie Smith - another one who was going to be a big player for us and never lived up to his potential.

R

reanswolf

McGhee's idea of a quality midfield was infact a substandard one.
No wonder fans were frustrated, Atkins was a trier but jack of all trades master of none, Corica was mobile but unproductive, Osbourne had quality but was too immobile.
Basically, that midfield was average...........Championship bog-standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McGhee's idea of a quality midfield was infact a substandard one.
No wonder fans were frustrated, Atkins was a trier but jack of all trades master of none, Corica was mobile but unproductive, Osbourne had quality but was too immobile.
Basically, that midfield was average.
Seem to remember a couple of decent loans around that time that never became permanent, Jesus Sanjuan and Vinnie Samways, both noticeably a level above. Only played a handful of games between them.

Jens Dowe another ignominious one, along with Robert Niestroj.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall an away game at Reading. We were behind the goal. A Wolves fan shouted "You're a sack of s*** Atkinson, a sack of s***". Same could be said of Corica at times as he blew hot and cold. You must remember that in his era the likes of him were all we could afford.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to remember a couple of decent loans around that time that never became permanent, Jesus Sanjuan and Vinnie Samways, both noticeably a level above. Only played a handful of games between them.

Jesus Sanjuan scored a great goal away at Fulham. The away support immediately chorused "Alleluia, Alleluia".
I recall we were terrible first half and told my son we had about as much chance to win as pigs flying. We won 2-1. I recall saying to him " I think I've just been hit by pig ****"

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score

Samways looked good for us. You could tell he played in the Premier League, you could just see he had a bit extra quality.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember in one home game the ball sat up between him and a defender with it being at least 60/40 in his favour .
I remember being told that if you go into a tackle you do so properly and not just hang a leg otherwise you risk injury .
On this occasion he did just that and guess what ,he came out and limping .He was a bloody wimp and a waste of money .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We all thought Darren Ferguson would be an improvement to what we had simply because he came from United .
Another lightweight who had no pace and was weak in the challenge.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was always something about Corica that made me think there was a very good player just waiting to come out. No doubt he had ability, but he was lightweight and so often drifted out of games. A talent wasted in my opinion.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all thought Darren Ferguson would be an improvement to what we had simply because he came from United .
Another lightweight who had no pace and was weak in the challenge.
Yet always managed to find form just as his contract was coming up for renewal :rolleyes:

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
However you remember him, he was worse.

I think he had one good game in his entire career but after that he was either injured or just absolutely rubbish.

For those of you now able to revel in the magic of Neves/Moutinho the Osbourne/Corica midfield was as bad as they are good.

D

Deleted member 3518

Jesus Sanjuan scored a great goal away at Fulham. The away support immediately chorused "Alleluia, Alleluia".
I recall we were terrible first half and told my son we had about as much chance to win as pigs flying. We won 2-1. I recall saying to him " I think I've just been hit by pig ****"
League Cup, mid-week?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was largely very average, but then looking back at those years so many of our big money signings were.

I’m so grateful for where we are currently. Signing after signing in that mid-90s period just seemed to be dud after dud.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had plenty of energy,and every now and then would have a flurry of 2 or 3 goals over a few games,but he definitely wasn't the quality midfielder that we needed in those days,the kind that most of the other top sides in the division seemed to find with ease,and whilst spending a fraction of the money.

D

Deleted member 3518

Had plenty of energy,and every now and then would have a flurry of 2 or 3 goals over a few games,but he definitely wasn't the quality midfielder that we needed in those days,the kind that most of the other top sides in the division seemed to find with ease,and whilst spending a fraction of the money.
Remember him scoring at Blues away, can't remember any others, lasting memory he came with a great fanfare and was ****.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First saw him play at Filbert St against us. Ran the show, absolutely brilliant. Home fans loved him.

Absolutely buzzing when we signed him.

He was, by and large, ****. Happy memories of an equaliser at Bolton but that’s about it.

Back
Top Bottom