Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Corica, was he as bad as I thought he was.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember him scoring at Blues away, can't remember any others, lasting memory he came with a great fanfare and was ****.
Seem to remember him getting 2 away at Palace the one year,as well as one at QPR,just after we'd sold Robbie Keane,also an equaliser away at Bolton in a Friday night game on the tv,where he robbed the defender and hit it into the corner.

But yes,he was another in the seemingly never ending conveyor belt at that time of supposed quality midfielders who ended up being unable to tackle,pass,shoot or take a decent dead ball.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to remember him getting 2 away at Palace the one year,as well as one at QPR,just after we'd sold Robbie Keane,also an equaliser away at Bolton in a Friday night game on the tv,where he robbed the defender and hit it into the corner.

But yes,he was another in the seemingly never ending conveyor belt at that time of supposed quality midfielders who ended up being unable to tackle,pass,shoot or take a decent dead ball.
Yes 3-2 win at Selhurst, Geoff Thomas got the winner. Good day that was.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes 3-2 win at Selhurst, Geoff Thomas got the winner. Good day that was.
That's the one!

We won 14 away games that season,I'd say 9 out of 10 teams who do that would almost certainly go up,but I think we also failed to win 9 of our home games,which was undoubtedly our undoing!

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A complete waste of a shirt. Absolutely useless.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never, ever forgiven McGhee for the FA Cup semi in 1998, leaving Bully and Robbie Keane on the bench in favour of Robbie Slater and Steve Claridge. He’s probably my most disliked Wolves manager.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the one!

We won 14 away games that season,I'd say 9 out of 10 teams who do that would almost certainly go up,but I think we also failed to win 9 of our home games,which was undoubtedly our undoing!
We had nightmare at home that season. I remember Ian Ormondroyd (a crap version of Peter Crouch) heading a winner for Oldham at the south bank end.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Mcgoo once say Corica was better than the boy Kinkladze.....made me loff that

D

Deleted member 4152

Didn't Mcgoo once say Corica was better than the boy Kinkladze.....made me loff that
Mcghee said a lot of things.

That fateful season when barnsley beat us he was asked, “who do you think sky sports would prefer in the prem? Wolves or barnsley?”

Instead of the correct answer, which was “dunno, ask sky sports” he gave it the “ooohh wolves, bigger club blah blah blah”

Hendrie had that straight on the dressing room door.

****ing idiot. Despise him

R

reanswolf

I felt Osbourne, Marsden, Ferguson, even Corica occasionally, had talent but were too immobile and lightweight.

Our best midfield of that era comprised of Thomas, Emblem (converted from centre-back), and preferably Marsden but if not Ferguson.
I remember destroying Albion 2-0 at Molineux with this midfield. Problem was neither Thomas or Emblem had long term fitness, but this midfield was powerful and very effective during the short period it lasted.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when we were gutted to lose Tony Dinning!

There’s a name!! I remember the clamour to sign Tony Dinning ... was it the old E+S Forum and then we did!!!

I remember a TV debut at home to Norwich I think, when he played in the back four and was MOTM!!

I can’t remember though how it played out for his Wolves career afterwards ... did he stay with us long.... not sure he was the answer in midfield that many thought he would be!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt Osbourne, Marsden, Ferguson, even Corica occasionally, had talent but were too immobile and lightweight.

Our best midfield of that era comprised of Thomas, Emblem (converted from centre-back), and preferably Marsden but if not Ferguson.
I remember destroying Albion 2-0 at Molineux with this midfield. Problem was neither Thomas or Emblem had long term fitness, but this midfield was powerful and very effective during the short period it lasted.

I could never fathom this one .....

Didn’t we sign Marsden and Ferguson on the same day? Two left footers to play in midfield with Paul Cooke, also a left footer!!!

I remember the sixth round game at Chelsea and the three of them in midfield..... it just looked wrong!!!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a name!! I remember the clamour to sign Tony Dinning ... was it the old E+S Forum and then we did!!!

I remember a TV debut at home to Norwich I think, when he played in the back four and was MOTM!!

I can’t remember though how it played out for his Wolves career afterwards ... did he stay with us long.... not sure he was the answer in midfield that many thought he would be!
Stayed for one season before being sold to Wigan.

Can’t remember if he won player of the season that year, but it definitely felt an odd transfer at the time and a bit of a loss.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now Geoff Thomas .... there was a player!!!! Would have become a Wolves legend but for the almost criminal efforts of Mr Howey.

Skill full and powerful, a born leader! Just what we needed. He looked ‘right’ in a Wolves shirt, in the mode of that other fair haired icon William Ambrose Wright!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stayed for one season before being sold to Wigan.

Can’t remember if he won player of the season that year, but it definitely felt an odd transfer at the time and a bit of a loss.

Thanks for that Newbridge. Now that you say it, was it something to do with his wife not settling and wanting to go back to the North?

R

reanswolf

Didn’t we sign Marsden and Ferguson on the same day? Two left footers to play in midfield with Paul Cooke, also a left footer!!!

I remember the sixth round game at Chelsea and the three of them in midfield..... it just looked wrong!!!
Yeah under McGhee it always seemed so unbalanced, I'm not sure if Mark McGhee had a scooby what was going on.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall an away game at Reading. We were behind the goal. A Wolves fan shouted "You're a sack of s*** Atkinson, a sack of s***". Same could be said of Corica at times as he blew hot and cold. You must remember that in his era the likes of him were all we could afford.

I remember it more as Corica blowing "lukewarm and cold". :)

As for the money, we were consistently spending far more than most in the Championship at the time. Every season, a team who spent less less than us (sometimes far less, e.g. Barnsley, Swindon) got promoted while we seemed forever stuck around 7th.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah under McGhee it always seemed so unbalanced, I'm not sure if Mark McGhee had a scooby what was going on.
Remember the away game at Reading as McGee walked to the dugout to chants of Judas.

Last edited:

Scadwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Remember the away game at Reading as he walked to the dugout to chants of Judas.
I remember talking to Corica as he made his way in to the ground for a game after being out for a long period of injury again. He said he was fit enough to have a palce on bench.I wished him luck and as he turned away he stared limping really bad. That summed us up at the time!!

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hated this guy, can't stand players who hide away on the pitch, the only Aussie scared of his own shadow, saw him ****ed as **** in the light bar one Saturday after another inept display and gave him a load of **** but he was too drunk to know what was going on

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was absolutely over the moon when we signed him. Equally as I was when we appointed McGhee.

Summed up that era though, premature jizzfest false dawns. We were **** and Sir Jack lost his buzz and enthusiasm to spend during that time and frankly I don't blame him.

Plymouth Wolf

Reaction score
Like WalsallWolf I thought McGhee was the answer to getting us to the promised land at last so was excited that he raided his old club for Corica. Sadly I was mistaken and he was useless! So lightweight. If he had a decent game, I missed it!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No fan of McGhee, but you can't blame him for that one. Marsden and Ferguson were bought by Turner. If you remember he was sacked a few days after the Chelsea defeat, following a shocking performance at Pompey.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was happy when we signed Dinning,he always played well against us,and to be fair he was one of our better players in that dismal 00/01 season.But at the start of the following season I remember him saying something like he didn't fancy a future of sitting on the bench which must have meant he knew Rae and Cameron were incoming,and he cleared off to Wigan.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
My Dad and I were thrilled with the Dinning signing at the time. The live match on telly after we signed him, he looked superb. MOTM performance, and he also was class in the 3-2 comeback win against Portsmouth. False dawns, and all that.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Corica was everything I hated about the McGhee period. A player signed with hype - but in reality, bang average at best with little end product.

McGhee was tipped to be Ferguson's eventual replacement by the media. I can only assume they meant Sarah Ferguson because it definitely wasn't Alex.

I would put him up there as one of our worst ever managers. Opposition hated him. Our own players hated him. Everyone hated him - apart from the media. McGhee sadly believed all the media hype about him and thought he was gods gift to football.

His signings were shocking.

Corica was ****. Simon Osborn was ****. Adrian Williams was ****. Mixu Paatelainen was ****. Steve Sedgley was ****. Robbie Slater was ****. Michael Gilkes was ****ing woeful (a winger that couldn't even cross a bridge successfully). Mark Atkins was mediocre. Claridge was prolific before he came to us - but McGhee signed him when he was 103 years old and past his best. Freedman was good - but he hated McGhee and quickly lost interest. He signed a goalkeeper that never even played a game for us (Zeljko Kalac) and he sold Jason Roberts without even giving him a first team game - and he then went on to be a prolific striker at every club he played for. Don't even get me started about that FA Cup Semi-Final. Arsenal had injuries, had a weakened side and were off-form and there to be beaten that day - until McGhee announced his starting line up - then it was clear we had lost before a ball had been kicked. Robbie Keane and Bull on the bench - whilst Claridge and no-pace Paul Simpson started. We also had the dazzling skills of fat and overweight Robbie Slater to come off the bench too.

The only decent signings he made were Keith Curle, Kevin Muscat (who was a decent player - but a thug and a liability) and the loan signing of Hans Segers (who was class in his short spell for us). Iwan Roberts was OK I guess - and Jermaine Wright was also decent on his day (but his best days were after he left us). I liked Paul Simpson too - but his legs had well and truly gone by the time we signed him. He was good when he had the ball - but he just couldn't get up and down the pitch.

It made my day when I heard that McGhee had been sacked - until I heard that Colin Lee had replaced him - so we ended up with McGhee v2.0 - just less aggressive but with equally as **** signings.

A lot of people disagree, but I still think we let Graham Taylor go too early. Yes, the football wasn't great at the time of his sacking - but he had lost a lot of the team through injury (many long term injuries - Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley, Don Goodman, John de Wolf, Steve Froggatt). Just as players were starting to come back and Taylor was about to get his strongest team back, we sacked him. Taylor put a lot of foundations in place then that were for the better.

Last edited:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Devlin in that video. I remember seeing him at Stafford Rangers. Never thought he would be as good as Collymore, but he was a decent quality player, very consistent.

We paid about 1000x more and got . . . . Steve Corica. Did score away at Bolton though if I remember correctly in a 1-1 draw?

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lightweight, injury-prone, over-hyped, blew hot and cold. You could say that for literally most of the players of his era.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Corica was everything I hated about the McGhee period. A player signed with hype - but in reality, bang average at best with little end product.

McGhee was tipped to be Ferguson's eventual replacement by the media. I can only assume they meant Sarah Ferguson because it definitely wasn't Alex.

I would put him up there as one of our worst ever managers. Opposition hated him. Our own players hated him. Everyone hated him - apart from the media. McGhee sadly believed all the media hype about him and thought he was gods gift to football.

His signings were shocking.

Corica was ****. Simon Osborn was ****. Adrian Williams was ****. Mixu Paatelainen was ****. Steve Sedgley was ****. Robbie Slater was ****. Michael Gilkes was ****ing woeful (a winger that couldn't even cross a bridge successfully). Mark Atkins was mediocre. Claridge was prolific before he came to us - but McGhee signed him when he was 103 years old and past his best. Freedman was good - but he hated McGhee and quickly lost interest. He signed a goalkeeper that never even played a game for us (Zeljko Kalac) and he sold Jason Roberts without even giving him a first team game - and he then went on to be a prolific striker at every club he played for. Don't even get me started about that FA Cup Semi-Final. Arsenal had injuries, had a weakened side and were off-form and there to be beaten that day - until McGhee announced his starting line up - then it was clear we had lost before a ball had been kicked. Robbie Keane and Bull on the bench - whilst Claridge and no-pace Paul Simpson started. We also had the dazzling skills of fat and overweight Robbie Slater to come off the bench too.

The only decent signings he made were Keith Curle, Kevin Muscat (who was a decent player - but a thug and a liability) and the loan signing of Hans Segers (who was class in his short spell for us). Iwan Roberts was OK I guess - and Jermaine Wright was also decent on his day (but his best days were after he left us). I liked Paul Simpson too - but his legs had well and truly gone by the time we signed him. He was good when he had the ball - but he just couldn't get up and down the pitch.

It made my day when I heard that McGhee had been sacked - until I heard that Colin Lee had replaced him - so we ended up with McGhee v2.0 - just less aggressive but with equally as **** signings.

A lot of people disagree, but I still think we let Graham Taylor go too early. Yes, the football wasn't great at the time of his sacking - but he had lost a lot of the team through injury (many long term injuries - Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley, Don Goodman, John de Wolf, Steve Froggatt). Just as players were starting to come back and Taylor was about to get his strongest team back, we sacked him. Taylor put a lot of foundations in place then that were for the better.
Good post, but your merging the Taylor and McGhee era a bit with signings. Taylor signed Mark Atkins and Jermaine Wright definitely.

Back
Top Bottom